What Mistress Boleyn Wants (Mistress Boleyn Gets)

Oh, and I meant to add: Given her behavior towards the priest and her 'confessions' (which were justifications of her actions and not confessions of sin and her behavior at the scaffold, Angeline was probably buried in unconsecrated ground.

Dowager Queen Marie will be getting a sentence that DARES her to come back. (No, not execution, the dread cloistered convent; probably the one the Seymours dumped Jane into.) Since she took herself to France, the council will view that as evidence of guilt in the Angeline Browne treason. If she does return, King Henri II of France will be writing little hissy, fussy, blustery letters threatening all sorts of violence if Marie is executed.

Last edited:
Dowager Queen Marie will be getting a sentence that DARES her to come back. (No, not execution, the dread cloistered convent; probably the one the Seymours dumped Jane into.) Since she took herself to France, the council will view that as evidence of guilt in the Angeline Browne treason. If she does return, King Henri II of France will be writing little hissy, fussy, blustery letters threatening all sorts of violence if Marie is executed.
I doubt Henri II can do much if she IS executed.

Henri II has an alliance with Scotland and can try to arrange a two-pronged attack (like the last time the French and English fought: French on the continent - Calais, and Scotland on the North of England). He can give it the good old college try and at least force England to muster troops whether or not he is going to attack. BUT, will he even allow Marie to return to England to be imprisoned in a cloistered convent? She is the mother of four of the children in the English Succession; I'm debating about Henri II making an offer if not for Michael, then for one of his full sisters.

It's desmirelle again (new name, trying to get the old one back). My computer finally died and my brother bought me a new one. (The other one was about 15 years old.) So, you've been warned: I'm back.

Oh, and good news from the Gaming DIce: There will be NO King Michael! (And not because he dies of the sweat - we are coming up on the last true plague of it, 1551.) And not because he dies at all. However, they (GD) have not been so kind to other families. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:
Oh, and good news from the Gaming DIce: There will be NO King Michael! (And not because he dies of the sweat - we are coming up on the last true plague of it, 1551.) However, they (GD) have not been so kind to other families. 'Nuff said.
Thanks for the Warning. Got to love them dice...

And this is where I hit the wrong button and accidentally posted early. Take your time, look around. Enjoy.

Last edited:
1549 - December
12 December

"I hope this isn't a long meeting," Anne murmured to Charles as they entered the chamber.

"From your lips to God's ear," he replied with a grin. She laughed and started to reply, but they were interrupted by the arrival of the Earl of Surrey. Henry Howard looked flushed and out of sorts, fumbling with papers he seemed to be trying to put into order.

"Problem?" asked Brandon. Surrey looked worried.

Instead of answering, he thrust papers into the Duke's hand and went immediately to pour himself a drink. Charles took a seat and began reading. Anne placed the folder she'd been carrying before the chair at the head of the table, then returned to Brandon's side and began reading over his shoulder. Other council members began entering and taking seats while they were served wine. The King would not be present and had asked the Archbishop of Canterbury to preside in his place. However, the meeting wasn't called to order until after the Duke of Suffolk and Sister Duchess finished reading and all were seated with wine and the decanters placed along the table. Anne moved her chair to its proper position as Brandon headed Howard back the letter.

The Archbishop stood as he looked at Howard's letter and pulled another letter from underneath his cassock. "Your father?" Howard nodded. "The Duke of Norfolk was found dead in his bed Saturday morning. Apparently, he had been in pain for days. It says nothing else about the matter save for the body will be returned to his family for burial."

"Yes, I was told the same; however, the doctor sent a report as well; it appears there a rupture of a blood vessel - his abdomen was full of blood. The doctor says nothing could have been done for him." Howard confirmed.

"We will take the time to pray for the Duke of Norfolk," announced Canterbury and made the sign of the cross. Everyone echoed his action and stood, bowing their heads as he began praying. He finished with an 'Amen', made the sign again and seated himself as did the others. When it was quiet, the cleric looked through the file Anne had placed at his seat. He looked up and around the table. "I think, instead of the planned course of events, we shall confirm Henry Howard as Duke of Norfolk. Are there any objections to that?" He waited and looked around the table, no one spoke. "Then, Henry Howard, you may be styled His Grace Henry Howard, Duke of Norfolk from henceforth. After our break, we shall arrange a ceremony with the king officiating."

"And the Dowager Queen?" asked Brandon. There was a general sigh at the table.

"How about we wait until after the Feast of the Epiphany?" The new duke suggested. "That way we can enjoy our holidays - those of us who are going home and come back with clearer heads."

"We'll have to give her dates for a trial, a safe conduct, a - " Anne began, but was cut off by Norfolk.

"I have to arrange a return to Calais to take over; I'm going to have to arrange for the withdrawal of troops after deciding how many to leave to discourage King Henri from renewing his efforts. All while grieving my father; we had many differences, but I am going to miss his counsel."

"He's right, Sister Duchess," remarked Edward Stanley, Earl of Derby. "We need to pray on this matter."

"The matter of the king and his siblings, has that been decided?" She then asked. "Since Catherine is having so much trouble with this pregnancy, we decided he would not come with me this time. The Duke of Suffolk has offered to take him since Michael and Antoinette are going to the Norfolk Estates."

"Where are the younger two girls going?" asked Derby.

"With me, that hasn't changed," Brandon told her. "My lady wife is more than happy to have him."

The meeting went on.

Last edited:
More 1549 December
17 December 1549

'Sister Duchess' Anne Percy arrived at Northumberland on the evening of the 17th. Sleet had made the last portion of the journey almost unbearable. She had barely gotten dry and redressed when a maid came rushing into her rooms.

"The mistress has started her labor!" She exclaimed breathlessly and ran out again.

Anne thought for a moment. Catherine wasn't due for another three to four weeks, but then, she had had many pregnancies. She pulled a pelisse over her gown and headed for Catherine's rooms.

Last edited:
Still December 1549
18 December

Catherine was exhausted. The labor seemed to be taking forever. Jane, one of her ladies, mopped her forehead and murmured the Lord's Prayer. At Catherine's feet, both the midwife and Anne waited. Catherine vaguely heard a gasp, but was too weary to understand it.

"Feet!" Anne gasped. She looked at the midwife, who ordered:

"We must get her to the bed. Put pillows to prop her up, this will be difficult." They had to call in a male servant to do so, but got her in the huge bed. Anne and the midwife began the desperate task to save Catherine, if not the babe. But both knew the boy had little chance of living in the circumstance, but if they could get him out, it might be possible for the mother to live.

Last edited: