What Mistress Boleyn Wants (Mistress Boleyn Gets)

One afternoon in 1524
Cardinal Wolsey crossed over to his desk; he wasn’t happy with what he’d just seen. Henry Percy and Anne Boleyn engaged in a passionate embrace, again. He sat and began to write, from what he knew of Henry Percy, it was going to take his father to straighten him out. Wolsey had already told Percy that Anne Boleyn was to wed James Butler to settle the family dispute over the co-heiresses of Ormonde. But young Percy had insisted they were in love, that Anne was honorable and worthy to be his wife; in short, the lad was in love and being led about by his cock.

Anne Boleyn did NOT want to marry some strange Irishman to settle the problem between her father and his Irish cousin. So far as she was concerned, the men should settle it without her. She was as ambitious as her father, but they had differing views on how to advance the Boleyn fortunes. She loved Henry Percy and thought she could make something of him. He needed his spine stiffened a bit, to stand up to Wolsey and his father. That was the trouble with men; they always believed whatever someone over them told them. She knew better, she wasn’t going to end up like her sister, married to a courtier of no real title and servicing the King. But it would require some planning on her part to bring about what she and Henry wanted. She would need to go see her sister, to set things in motion.

On her way there, she realized she could help her case in another way, as well. Mary was napping when Anne arrived and was surprised to see her sister. She was even more surprised when Anne carefully locked the door behind her and came over to sit on the bed.

“You are going to help me wed Henry Percy,” was her opening remark to her older sister. She then proceeded to tell Mary what she wanted her to do. Mary, knowing Anne had a head on her shoulders as practical as father’s listened and agreed to do what Anne asked. Anne then went over to Mary’s mirror and began rubbing her eyes fiercely.

“Anne?”

“I have to see the Queen, she’s going to help me, too,” was all Anne said.

When Anne entered the rooms where she had been excused from just after breakfast, her eyes were red and swollen and she was blowing her nose quietly on her handkerchief. Queen Katherine and the other ladies still sewing altar cloths exchanged troubled glances. Anne Boleyn was not a crier.

“Ladies,” the Queen said and, as a group, they rose and left the pair alone. “Come here, Anne, what is wrong?”

Anne stood for a full minute, wringing the handkerchief before throwing herself at Katherine’s feet. “Oh, your majesty, I am undone!” She sobbed into the Queen’s lap as Katherine patted her head.

“How so, child?”

“I have disgraced myself,” Anne looked up, tears falling down her cheeks. “He said he loved me, and would marry me, and have no other, but, but –“ Anne put her head back down and sobbed. “I have disgraced myself. I am no better than a whore,” she sobbed and was surprised to find that she was truly crying.

“Who are you talking about?”

“Hen-Henry, Henry Percy, he vowed he would marry me and I -, I-,” Anne didn’t get to finish.

“And you believed him?”

Anne nodded. It was surprising how comforting this was, as well as useful. “He said we were betrothed before God. I asked the good Father and he said if –“

“Oh, no, tell me you have not given yourself to him,” Katherine murmured.

Anne looked up again. “But I have, and now my courses are late and Cardinal Wolsey says that we may not wed; the cardinal says –“

“Get up, child, Cardinal Wolsey does not run this kingdom, no matter how much he thinks he may,” Katherine said, rising as she spoke. “Come, we will see the King and the matter will be settled.”

Katherine stiffened as they entered the King’s presence. Lady Mary Carey was seated on a small stool by the King and they seemed to be in deep discussion. Anne whispered to the Queen:

“I told her of my trouble; but I did not tell her all. I believe she’s trying to help me; I pray she’s trying to help me.”

“My husband,” Katherine said. “I wish to speak with you on a matter of a personal nature.” Henry noted that Anne accompanied his wife and motioned for both women to come forward. Mary rose and gave Her Majesty a deep curtsey, frowning slightly at her sister.

“I believe Lady Carey has told me of the dilemma,” Henry said. “Mistress Anne wishes to –“

“It is more than that, my husband,” said the Queen as she took her chair. “She was advised by a priest that she and Lord Percy were as good as wed because of their actions. They have acted according to his advice and now one of my ladies is compromised because of this. I ask that you restore honor and dignity to your court and allow Mistress Boleyn and her husband Henry Percy to wed here at court, so there will be no question of our approval.”

“Young Percy is in Cardinal Wolsey’s household, he might –“

“So, the Cardinal reigns in England?” Katherine asked. “He allows this man the freedom to seduce one of my ladies and then allows him to avoid his duty to the woman? What kind of churchman is this?”

Henry was not happy to be interrupted, he knew how his wife felt about Wolsey; but he also was concerned about the matter Lady Carey had brought to his attention. “I was going to say, Cardinal Wolsey might want to know what we are planning. I’m sure he will be as eager as we are to celebrate the marriage when he knows the reason.” Henry motioned and a page approached from across the room. “Send for Cardinal Wolsey, tell him it is our wish that he bring young Percy with him – at once.” Henry smiled at Anne, who was standing behind the Queen. “My dear, fear not, this matter will be settled today.” Anne nodded slowly. Mary crossed and joined her sister, holding the younger woman’s hand to reassure her.

Married in the Queen’s Closet! Anne could hardly believe her luck. Percy had had the sense to be silent and look ashamed when the Queen charged him with Anne’s seduction, admitting it without coming out and lying outright. Wolsey had brought up both Anne’s proposed marriage to James Butler and the proposed Percy match with Mary Talbot, only to be impaled on the King’s outrage. Wisely, Wolsey had offered to waive the banns and perform the wedding himself. So, dressed in her best gown and attended by her sister and brother George, watched by both the King and Queen, Anne became Henry Percy’s wife.

For those of you who were worried about her virtue: Note that Percy just let everyone assume what Anne told the Queen was true; he realized Anne was right when she told him earlier that she had a plan to get around Wolsey's opposition. She didn't give it up until she married Percy. He was smart enough to know that he wouldn't stand up against his father and Wolsey.

March 1525

It had taken 21 hours of labor, but Anne had a healthy son to show for it, so it was well worth it. Algernon Henry Percy, as he would be christened, yelled from the moment he made his appearance. Grandfather Henry Algernon Percy was as proud as his son and the nurses had had to take the child away from him (Anne’s orders) to prevent him from taking the infant outdoors to show everyone in the household the newest Percy heir.

While the queen had shared Anne’s relief that her courses had started the day after her marriage so that an ‘early birth’ would not cause rumors about Anne’s reputation; when Anne had become pregnant, the queen had offered to be the child’s godmother and the king had added his wish to be godfather to it in a postscript on the queen’s letter. Anne and Henry were more than pleased to accept. It was the only thing the Earl complained of in connection with Algernon’s birth: the cost of entertaining their majesties for the christening. But he wisely kept his complaints to himself, telling only the new parents that they would put him in debtor’s prison if this happened with every child.

She was away from court, but not the news of it. While her sister was no longer Henry VIII’s favorite and had withdrawn with her daughter (also Henry VIII’s daughter, according to William Carey) to their home in the country, her father and brother were still there. Her father mentioned rumors that the king was looking into an annulment from his wife. George had written his sister, knowing she’d want to know the latest in non-political gossip (of which her father never wrote). Her brother’s letter included the news that Queen Katherine was furious about the upcoming ennoblement of Henry FitzRoy; that Wolsey had proposed the lad as a husband for Princess Mary; and that he was glad that his favorite sister and brother-in-law would be at the ceremony – and were Anne and Harry coming, too? [Anne rolled her eyes at the oldest of George’s jokes – both she and Mary were long used to and not amused by it any longer.] Then, he got serious: it seemed that he was quite looking forward to his marriage to Jane Parker, as this would increase his standing at court; Jane was among the queen’s ladies. Anne was glad, she’d been worried that her marriage might delay George’s. But it seemed to have increased his interest in getting married.

The King and Queen seemed to enjoy their sojourn with the Percys in the north; but there was an underlying current of tension that Anne noticed that no one else seemed to see. She got Elizabeth Darrell aside and asked:

“What’s wrong?”

Bess shook her head. “We’re not sure. The King has been taking counsel with Wolsey and others: after one meeting Thomas More asked to be excused to return to Chelsea and the King refused him leave. Norris said he’s questioning about marriage.”

“The King, not More,” Anne said and the other woman nodded. “I heard the Duke of Norfolk –“

Whatever she’d heard Anne never learned, for the Queen and Princess Mary entered the room laughing.

“Your home is lovely,” the princess said in her gruff voice. Anne never ceased to be amazed at the girl’s voice, it was a beautiful voice but unexpected in such a petite girl, really.

“Thank you, I wish I could take credit, but the Countess, my mother-in-law is responsible for it all,” Anne replied, making a mental note to corner her father. She wanted to know what was going on in the royal circle.

Last edited by a moderator:
So did Henry viii forgave all of the Percy's debts as a wedding or birth of your son gift? Also what heiress are available to marry Anne's son? Both of these would be good for your Anne improves the Percy's finances thing we talked about

August 1525

Anne stretched and rubbed her hands together, her writing hand hurt; she didn’t usually spend this much time on the books. But they’d just gotten what was probably the last of their christening gifts and she wanted to see how that left them. When the King had forgiven the little money owed to him by her husband, others had followed suit, but the debt owed the Earl of Shrewsbury had not been addressed by the man when he sent his congratulations – he was angry that his daughter would not be uniting the two families. It had taken some work, but this morning a letter from the Earl forgiving half of the debt had arrived. Over half of Harry’s debts gone, without spending more than the cost of a messenger or two! If only they could avoid expenses like their trip south to attend the raising of Henry FitzRoy from bastard to Duke of Richmond and Somerset. That had increased the debt, and since it was after the christening, no offer to forgive it would be forthcoming.

“Would her ladyship be wanting something to drink?” Anne jumped, she’d not heard Nell enter.

“Yes, that would be nice,” Anne said, then frowned at the figures before her. She got the scraper and began to remove the erroneous number so she could correct it.

Things were not going so well for Cardinal Wolsey. The King was asking for advice on some scripture he’d read and was sure applied to him. No amount of discussion between them had straightened His Majesty’s thinking, he still considered his marriage to Katherine of Aragon childless – because only a son counted for throne inheritance in England. Wolsey knew that the dispensation granted the couple had forgiven the ‘sin’ of marrying his brother’s wife – although the argument was made for Leviticus 20:21 that the text implied a living brother rather than a dead brother’s widow; the King did not wish to believe it. But how to help him to correct his thinking?

The Earl of Northumberland had found that daughter-in-law Anne was a formidable woman by any standards. She was certainly good at negotiating with the damn Scots. His wife wasn’t as impressed, saying that the girl should spend her time tending to house and home and leaving the men to their work. But right now, Catherine was at court, doing her part as a lady of honor to the Queen, and the Earl did not have to defend his admiration (although to be married to such a woman made him shudder) for her. He chuckled to himself. Lady Anne Percy was the son he’d always wanted to have; Henry could be bullied into things, both Thomas and Ingelram were caught up in making names for themselves since they weren’t to have the title, but Anne, now there was someone who knew how to make things happen.

Katherine of Aragon accepted the glass of wine with a smile from the Countess.

“And how is your grandson?” she asked.

The Countess beamed. “Hale and hearty, he was trying to crawl and climb when I left, your majesty. “

“And your daughter-in-law, Lady Anne?”

The Countess kept the smile, but it left her eyes for a moment. “She is running the estate like an agent, I believe my husband is going to recommend her for Warden of the Marches Towards Scotland.”

“You do not approve?” The Queen motioned for the other to sit. “My mother was also good at these men’s arts; so long as she does not usurp her husband, I feel she must be an asset to your family.”

Catherine realized her error and regrouped. “Oh, no, your majesty, I admire her energy and her mind; I would be exhausted to do half of what she does. I’m afraid I sometimes envy her those talents that I have never possessed and sound petty when I mean to be complimentary. She’s actually gotten a couple of the Scottish lords to police their raiders more closely, that’s what I meant about the wardens office. If not for her sex, she would be a formidable diplomat.” The answer pleased the Queen, who nodded and turned her attention to Mistress Darrell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's realistic to think that H8 will ensure all the debts are forgiven; I have to give Anne room to shine! And the godparents thing was a sop for Katherine of Aragon from H8 over the Henry Fitzroy ennoblement; that's how little Al got such impressive godparents. And that will affect who wants to marry him - godparenting being a more serious matter back then than now.

I don't think it's realistic to think that H8 will ensure all the debts are forgiven; I have to give Anne room to shine! And the godparents thing was a sop for Katherine of Aragon from H8 over the Henry Fitzroy ennoblement; that's how little Al got such impressive godparents. And that will affect who wants to marry him - godparenting being a more serious matter back then than now.
So Anne is ensuring the safety of the Percy family's border eastes? That's good. Now we just need a rich heiress to marry al Percy. Are there any good heiress available or any good girls that would become heiress with a few deaths? Also the talbot eastes were never supposed to be united with the Percy eastes. Mary talbot wasn't her fathers heiress.

I just see Mary Talbot as a spoiled little rich girl, not father's heiress. Daddy let her leave her husband and come live at home, that's where I'm drawing her character from. Nobody's taking the Talbot estates from Francis.

I just see Mary Talbot as a spoiled little rich girl, not father's heiress. Daddy let her leave her husband and come live at home, that's where I'm drawing her character from. Nobody's taking the Talbot estates from Francis.
Then why did you say that shrewsbery was angry the eastes weren't going to be United? Or did read that wrong?

Sorry, I changed it in my original but had already posted it when I noticed the errors. I've corrected it here now.

December 1525

If she hadn’t have miscarried her daughter a week ago, Anne would have been on her way to court with her in-laws. Anne could scream at the fate that allowed the Countess to exclude her from the trip – Lord and Lady Percy were specifically included in the invitation! Well, at least Henry had stayed behind with her, they could celebrate Christmas together. Now, if she could only do something about Thomas; Ingelram had accompanied his parents south but the middle son was here, moping about and asking Anne endless questions about the King and Queen. There was a quick knock at the bedroom door and Nell stuck her head in.

“Milady, do you wish to dress now?” the woman had been asking the question since Anne awoke two hours ago. Anne looked at her reflection in the dressing table mirror and shrugged at herself.

“Yes, Nell, I do wish to dress now. Pick me something spectacular. The Earl of Shrewsbury is coming with his insufferable wife and daughter and they’ll be here this afternoon. I want the Countess and that girl green with envy.” Anne stood and untied her dressing gown. Nell grinned broadly, she liked her ladyship’s spirit.

It wasn’t that Anne didn’t like Mary Talbot, it was just that the girl was so spoiled and pouted; Anne said to herself. She hadn’t wanted to wed Henry Percy, but acted as though she’d been denied Christ now that he was married to Anne. Thomas and the Earl were discussing the problems with Lutheranism on the continent and whether England or Scotland would soon suffer the heretics. The Countess of Shrewsbury, a Stafford, obviously thought Anne was inferior to her own daughter and barely spoke to Lady Percy, although she spoke often with both Percy men present, as well as her husband and daughter. This left Anne time to think. Perhaps she could repair the supposed damage to the Percy-Talbot relationship with a Percy son whom Mary actually liked. . .like Thomas?

Like I said Thomas and Mary getting married is possible but where can he get the money to support her? And don't you dare take anything anyway from the Percy patrimony to support a second son.

Who's doing that? What will Anne want for her bro-in-law's wedding present? A nice, new, shiny title for him (and maybe an estate or two), right? I think she can get that from their majesties if she works it right. She's a clever girl - in this TL she got the Queen to trounce Wolsey for a husband, didn't she?

Who's doing that? What will Anne want for her bro-in-law's wedding present? A nice, new, shiny title for him (and maybe an estate or two), right? I think she can get that from their majesties if she works it right. She's a clever girl - in this TL she got the Queen to trounce Wolsey for a husband, didn't she?
Yeah that makes sense

uh, yeah, Henry still won't let him consummate his marriage to the Howard girl.
Okay so your are still going to have him die early correct? If that's right well why not have him die early and have and have Anne intrigue her way into getting thoes eastes and any other former Neville eastes owned by the crown for her husband? That way the Percy are complety dominant in the north with no royal bastard around take precedence in the north.

Wait a minute Henry Fitzroy isn't married to anyone yet.