Union and Liberty: An American TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I haven't replied in a while everyone. I'll try to get through all the comments and questions. Also, the next update will be finished later today!

I haven't quite finished the TL, but I gotta say it is absolutely one of the best, it's been an awesome read! I look forward to more. :)

I hope you don't mind, I made a map of TTL at the turn of the century, complete with many of the internal developments within the US, India, etc. that you have posted in separate maps. It's probably riddled with mistakes, but I hope you like it.

[EDIT] Fixed some of the mistakes pointed out by jycee.
That map looks pretty good, I can't find any mistakes that haven't already been mentioned.

I can't see Burma remaining independent for long, sandwiched between the British Empire like that.
Full independence for Burma in the future isn't likely, but if they give the British enough of a headache the Burmese can probably keep a large amount of autonomy.

Great update, Wilcoxchar! It's interesting to see Thailand and Burma undergoing fates so different from those of OTL. Thailand in particular is interesting; I could see it launching an aggressive war against the Burmese (their traditional enemy) with British help at some point, if Burma ever causes problems for British India. You might want to talk to Xnyrax about that; he knows tons about SE Asia during this time period.

Does British Malaya include territory on Borneo as OTL? Or is it just the Malay peninsula?

I think they stand a fair shot at retaining nominal independence, especially if they've lasted this long. On the other hand, they may well be reduced to a British puppet by some future war.

Cheers,
Ganesha
British Malaya doesn't include any parts of Borneo, just the peninsula. And now that you mention it, a Thai-Burma war would be pretty likely sometime soon.

That is why it is likely only to be "nominal", they will likely end up as a puppet/protectorate but not a colony. Same goes for Siam.

I am more impressed with Belgium being able to hold on so much area as it has; Borneo's population is le o it makes sense. But the rest of its colonies would be much harder to maintain. Especially since in TTL, Belgium is much smaller and got screwed badly in the European Wars. If it is holding on to anything it is likely doing it with lots of British help, to avoid France from making any claims.
Yep, Belgium's colonies especially in Indochina are being aided by the British to stop further French influence.

Good update, Wilcox!:)
Interesting development in Southeast Asia. This should mean similar catholic missionary efforts in Indochina, if not more than OTL.
Nice map, Arkhangelsk!:)
There will be some missionary work, though the aversion to French missions may mean a more Spanish-influence Catholic missions from the Philippines since I'm not sure Belgium has the capacity for much mission work there.

Why does the current map of Europe show Bornholm as German-controlled territory?
I know that Prussia occupied the island during the last major European war but there was no mention of Bornholm being annexed by the German Empire.
Bornholm was annexed to Germany after the Second European War. Looks like I forgot to mention that in the relevant update.

I've always liked the concept of California being independent.......too bad Russia still has Alaska, though......maybe *Canada(BNA) can get it someday? :(

Will America soon annex California and the Mexican states?

In that case, sorry for what I just said. Also, I have been wondering what are the factions of the World War?
Hehe, it's no problem. The California debate tends to spring up from time to time. But I do have plans for what will happen to California.

There will be a Great War coming soon, but I haven't decided completely on who will be joining in and on what side. Right now I think all I have for sure on the sides are France-Germany-US-Korea against Britain-California-Japan. Everyone else is still pretty up in the air.

I'm sure hoping things will start to move again. this whole atlas thing kinda made me lose interest (and I love geography).

Yeah, when I started on the overview I wasn't expecting it to take this long to finish. Today's update will be the last one for the overview and then we'll get back to the regular updates.

wilcoxchar, is there any chance that the US could eventually purchase Belgian Congo? I just want the Belgians as far away from the Congo as possible.

Last edited:
I doubt it'd be any sort of plausible for the U.S. to actually territorize it, though......the American Congo territory as it was first created was kind of a stretch as it stands.

Agreed. Plus, the Belgians wouldn't likely want to sell their Congo territory, since if it's anything like OTL Belgian Congo (in miniature, due to how much smaller TTL's Belgian Congo is), the territory would be extremely lucrative for Belgium.

Sorry I haven't replied in a while everyone. I'll try to get through all the comments and questions. Also, the next update will be finished later today!

That map looks pretty good, I can't find any mistakes that haven't already been mentioned.

Full independence for Burma in the future isn't likely, but if they give the British enough of a headache the Burmese can probably keep a large amount of autonomy.

British Malaya doesn't include any parts of Borneo, just the peninsula. And now that you mention it, a Thai-Burma war would be pretty likely sometime soon.

Yep, Belgium's colonies especially in Indochina are being aided by the British to stop further French influence.

There will be some missionary work, though the aversion to French missions may mean a more Spanish-influence Catholic missions from the Philippines since I'm not sure Belgium has the capacity for much mission work there.

Bornholm was annexed to Germany after the Second European War. Looks like I forgot to mention that in the relevant update.

Hehe, it's no problem. The California debate tends to spring up from time to time. But I do have plans for what will happen to California.

There will be a Great War coming soon, but I haven't decided completely on who will be joining in and on what side. Right now I think all I have for sure on the sides are France-Germany-US-Korea against Britain-California-Japan. Everyone else is still pretty up in the air.

Which side is the winner in the World War?

The World in a New Century, Section XV: The Indies and the Pacific
Finished with the update! I actually don't know how this update ended up so long. I think my inner academic started taking over. :D

The World in a New Century, Section XV: The Indies and the Pacific
Published by the McNally Corporation in Chicago, 1901.

The East Indies:
The islands of the East Indies have been sought over for centuries by several colonial powers seeking to add the wealth of the spices from the Indies to their empires. The first were the Spanish and Portuguese, who were followed by the Dutch, the British, and finally the Belgians. The British have, through treaties and war, been kicked out of the islands but still keep an influence over the trade through their control of the Malay Peninsula. The Portuguese, the first to establish a presence in the East Indies in the 1500s, have also been largely evicted from the islands. Their only possession in the region is the eastern half of the island of Timor and a small group of islands to the north. Portuguese Timor is rather insignificant, and still remains largely agricultural with its exports of sandalwood and coffee.

The Dutch East Indies comprise most of the Malenesian Archipelago[1]. The main islands of the Dutch East Indies are Sumatra and Java, the two large islands in the west. These two islands are very densely populated and have provided the majority of the wealth the Dutch East Indies brings in for the Netherlands. The administration of the East Indies is heavily involved in the farming of cash crops on the islands, including the many spices that originate from the islands, sugar, sandalwood, and other such valuable crops. The isle of Java is home to the central capital of the Dutch East Indies, the city of Batavia. While Java has become solidified under the Dutch colonial rule, other places in the Dutch East Indies are still very hostile to Dutch rule. The region of Atjeh in northern Sumatra was only pacified and incorporated in the past decade, and large parts of the island of New Guinea remain unexplored and only marginally claimed by the Netherlands.

While the Netherlands control the majority of the Malenesian Archipelago, Belgium possesses the island of Borneo. The Belgian presence in Borneo was first established in the south and west of the island when the country became independent as part of the reparations from the Dutch government, and the main cities on the island remain in those same areas. Belgium began their colonial operations on the island in the southern city of Banjarmasin, but after the colonization of their mainland possessions, the colonial capital of Borneo was moved north to Pontianak[2]. While Belgium controls the entire island, they have maintained the sultanate of Brunei on the northern coast as a protectorate.

Outside of the Malanesian Archipelago is the Philippine islands, also known as the Spanish East Indies. The Spanish have had almost as long a presence in the East Indies as the Portuguese, though the Spanish territory in the region has not waned over the centuries. The islands are governed by the Spanish colonial officials in Manila and by an upper class of educated native Filipinos known as ilustrados. The ilustrados are natives that have been educated and civilized in a system of Spanish-run schools and universities, which were established and expanded under the reign of king Alfonso. The reign of king Alfonso XII also brought about several improvements in the infrastructure and industry of Manila and other cities on the northern island of Luzon. However, these reforms have also led to a movement for independence for the islands, which has recently gained strength among the ilustrados and the native Filipinos.

Australasia: Great Britain's last major colony is Australasia. The islands of Australia, Tasmania, and the two islands of New Zealand form the bulk of Australasia along with a few minor surrounding islands. Australasia was one of the last places in the world to be settled by Europeans, and even today British settlement of the land is rather sparse. In Australia, the far southeast of the island has been densely settled thanks to the Irish diaspora and the gold rushes in the area in the latter half of the 19th century. Such cities as Sydney and Australasia's capital of Melbourne have boomed to become the largest cities in Australasia. However, other parts of the island are completely uncivilized and only inhabited by the native Australian tribes. New Zealand has also received a large amount of immigration such that whites and Mongolians are the majority of the population of the islands, but the Maori natives still have a substantial minority.

Interestingly, Australasia has managed to remain a single colonial entity, unlike British North America. This may be because the settling of Australasia has primarily only been by people from the British Isles. As fewer national and religious conflicts have arisen in Australasia, the region has remained under a single colonial administration. However, it remains to be seen whether Australasia will stay together if and when it becomes a dominion and is given full self-governance.

Pacific Islands: The Pacific Ocean contains tens of thousands of islands that have been explored by numerous naval expeditions over the past two centuries. However as most of these islands are very small in size, only a few islands or island chains are significant enough to mention here. The largest archipelago of the Pacific Ocean is Hawaii. The chain of islands lies at the center of the Pacific Ocean far away from any other landmass. The islands used to be controlled by a native monarchy, but in the past decade Japan and California have divided the islands between them. California has taken the eastern group of islands including Oahu and Hawaii, while Japan has taken Kauai and all islands to the west.

The other major island group in the Pacific is the Ladrones Islands. These islands have been colonized by the Spanish and include the island of Guaján, which is the largest of the Ladrones Islands[3]. It was used as a major stopover on the route of the Spanish ships between the Philippines and New Spain during the height of the Spanish Empire. Many of the rest of the island in the Pacific have been claimed by either Great Britain, Spain, or Japan, but these islands remain uninhabited or inhabited by the natives. France also has a minor presence in the Pacific, having established a colonial presence on the islands of Palau east of the Philippines and Tahiti in far eastern Polynesia. While several other nominal claims have been made, the majority of the islands remain unexplored due to the dangers of tropical diseases and the uncivilized cannibals who inhabit many of the islands[4].

[1] TTL's Indonesian archipelago, after the Dutch term Maleische, meaning Malay.
[2] West coast of Borneo near the Indonesia-Malaysia border.
[3] Ladrones Islands was the Spanish colonial name for the Mariana Islands. Guaján is the old Spanish name for Guam.
[4] Tales of cannibalism in New Guinea and the Pacific are still abound. Also there are probably some butterflies from Gauguin not making Tahiti and the Pacific look romantic.

I would assume that they use the "Bear Flag Republic" flag, but seeing as they are an independant nation with more of a Hispanic culture than Anglo, that would fly out the window.

Would something like this do?

Oh5X3.png

It represents the twelve founding states of California united under one strong central power.

Last edited:
I remember I'd made a flag for California back when I first made the map of the republic, but I couldn't find it. It finally found the map here. The map is the background of the legend, so a blue-white-green vertical tricolor with a dark red star in the top center. Although that flag is probably out of date and has been replaced with successive governments. I'm thinking of having the new one add the bear in the bottom center below the star.

Would something like this do?

Oh5X3.png

It represents the twelve founding states of California united under one strong central power.

It looks somewhat middle Eastern to me. Also I don't think California is divided into "united states", they are probably referred to as departments or provinces. Plus those divisions came to be after their independence.

Wilcox, as always great update. And now that we have covered the world so far its good that we will resume to the regular TL. I have a few speculations on tech and other stuff that I will post at a later time to generate some discussion.

Keep up the good work.

I was wondering, will the Indian Mutiny occur in this TL?

as a newcomer to this timeline, could I have a list of US states please? I'm rather confused by it all. :confused:

Both you guys should just go back and read the full TL. Its a wonderful read, and since the updates are short and concise it is also a relatively easy read despite the length.

I remember I'd made a flag for California back when I first made the map of the republic, but I couldn't find it. It finally found the map here. The map is the background of the legend, so a blue-white-green vertical tricolor with a dark red star in the top center. Although that flag is probably out of date and has been replaced with successive governments. I'm thinking of having the new one add the bear in the bottom center below the star.

How about something like the one attached? I like the idea of using the bear, and the "evening star of the west", and I guess you have blue for the Pacific and green for the land.

Also I guess California has likely gone through three "Republics" by now. The original Bear Flag Republic, set up by Fremont and the Californio collaborators during the Mex American war, shortly followed by a "free California" probably set up Andres Pico and other nationals in a quick seize of power away from the "occupiers" (my guess is that some anglo-american entrepreneurs and prospectors might have sided with Pico in an attempt to get a larger piece of the pie). But this second republic was short lived and the current centralist government was set up after a second coup. The last government has proven stable, successful (in terms of quelling Mormon rebellions, expanding into Sonora, and Hawaii) but largely undemocratic.

(This is just speculation but it fits within the updates, I guess).

california.jpg

How about something like the one attached? I like the idea of using the bear, and the "evening star of the west", and I guess you have blue for the Pacific and green for the land.

Also I guess California has likely gone through three "Republics" by now. The original Bear Flag Republic, set up by Fremont and the Californio collaborators during the Mex American war, shortly followed by a "free California" probably set up Andres Pico and other nationals in a quick seize of power away from the "occupiers" (my guess is that some anglo-american entrepreneurs and prospectors might have sided with Pico in an attempt to get a larger piece of the pie). But this second republic was short lived and the current centralist government was set up after a second coup. The last government has proven stable, successful (in terms of quelling Mormon rebellions, expanding into Sonora, and Hawaii) but largely undemocratic.

(This is just speculation but it fits within the updates, I guess).
I like that flag, and the idea that California has gone through a few republcis.

Good update, wilcoxchar.

Hope it's more frequent (although, if you have school, I understand).
I'm going to try to get back to at least a weekly update schedule, possibly twice a week. I should actually have the next update done later today.

Part Ninety-Two: Spinning the Diplomatic Web
Next update's finished. I hope it's all plausible for the timeframe and fits with everything else. :D

Part Ninety-Two: Spinning the Diplomatic Web

Spinning the Diplomatic Web:
After the Second Napoleonic War and the unification of the Germany, the diplomatic atmosphere in Europe remained very tense. The Congress of Vienna that was intended to produce a lasting peace has clearly collapsed with two wars raging across the continent, and the balance of power had been completely upset. Great Britain, which had believed themselves to be the supreme power in Europe, was left licking their wounds after a costly defeat to France. The collapse of the Austrian Empire left a power vacuum in eastern Europe which the German Empire quickly filled, upsetting the balance of power on the continent. over the next decades, the countries of Europe watched each other with care while trying to position alliances to their advantage.

The main pivot behind the diplomatic maneuvering in Europe between the European Wars and the Great War centered primarily around the rivalry between the British and the French, and the growing friendship between France and Germany. The first sign of the growing relationship between the two continental great powers was the creation of the European Monetary Standard in 1886. Seven years later during the Congo Conference, the great powers not only discussed the rights of territory along the Congo River, but also arranged secret agreements in back channels. It was at the Congo Conference where ambassador Napoleon Eugene Bonaparte and Kaiser Frederick III arranged the first secret defense pact between France and Germany. This first pact was set to last five years. While the pact was expired in 1898, it was revived a year later as an open mutual defense treaty. The official word of Kaiser Frederick III and the French president was that the alliance was created to "promote a lasting time of peace and stability on the European continent", but many powers in Europe felt it was intended to create a Franco-German hegemony over the continent.

As France and Germany grew closer together, the British government sought to restore the balance of power in Europe by looking for allies to counter the combined strength of Germany and France. The allies of Great Britain during the Second Napoleonic War stayed close to Britain after the French victory. The first alliance the British secured was with Belgium in 1874. Along with the military protection, London also supported Belgian colonial expeditions to prevent France from expanding their influence in Asia. By the outbreak of the Great War, many of the Belgian expeditions in Indochina were partially funded or controlled by British interests. The next countries in Europe to fall in line with the British were Spain and Portugal. Portugal had been an ally of the British for centuries and continued to support Great Britain into the Great War. The Spanish moved into the British camp as allies against France in the Second Napoleonic War. This relationship was furthered with a signing of a formal alliance in 1887. During the 1890s, Great Britain also made diplomatic overtures elsewhere in Europe as a counterweight to German expansion and the growing Franco-German bloc. In 1892 after the German annexation of Austria and Moravia, Great Britain sent diplomat Arthur Balfour to several Mediterranean countries in order to seek alliances as counterweights to the Franco-German bloc. With worries of further German expansion, Balfour was warmly received in Budapest and an agreement of protection was signed with Hungary. However, in Rome and Constantinople, Balfour was unable to get the ministers of Italy and the Ottoman Empire to make any lasting agreements. In Rome, Balfour did get Italy to commission the construction of three cruisers in London for the Italian navy. The settling of borders in Asia and North America improved relations between Great Britain and Russia, but the Tsar was still not receptive to any direct involvement in western European affairs.

While most of the diplomatic wrangling prior to the Great War occurred in Europe, the rest of the world was still host to many efforts by both sides to gain support. Great Britain and California signed an alliance in 1902 in exchange for Great Britain writing off California's debts. This move was also precipitated by the new nationalist Sepúlveda government in California which took a heavily anti-American stance. Britain also signed a treaty with Colombia authorizing the construction of a canal in the Panama isthmus as a counter to the proposed San Juan Canal. However, nothing came of this as the McKinley administration opposed this measure on the Monroe Doctrine and sped up efforts on the construction of the San Juan Canal. In Asia, the rivalry between Great Britain and France fed naturally into competing alliances with Japan and Korea, respectively. After the support France gave Korea in the Sino-Korean War, a Franco-Korean alliance was established in Paris in 1890. A reciprocal alliance between Great Britain and Japan was signed two years later, and both countries became firmly entrenched in their separate alliance systems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.