The Union Forever: A TL

How is it if the reformers have such a well equipped army? Did several military formations mutiny and join them, or did they capture a large amount of weapons stockpiles? I assume that most of the military stayed with the Conservatives

Indeed. However, it goes to show that the Conservatives arent giving up territory lightly. It also doesn't specify wether the emperor means to retake the territory later in the war or years in the future.
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if either/both the PM and Emperor have written off those areas and are just claiming to have irredentist plans for the future to appease the rest of the leadership.

Thothian

Banned
Too bad that the first black president ITTL was one-term, but hey..Hispanic VP!

I love that line from Pres Zaal, " You can't ride two bulls with one butt." :closedeyesmile:

KNEEL BEFORE ZAAL , indeed.

The military will probably internally be confused as to why Zaal is taking an Isolationist stance.

Especially China is now supporting rebels in Manchuria.

2001: Foreign and Domestic Developments

Foreign and Domestic Developments

On February 13, Somalia became an independent republic within the Commonwealth of Nations. Haji Omar Bashir, the new nation's prime minister, sought to deepen ties with neighboring East Africa as a way to gain leverage against Abyssinia in their long running border dispute.

Sticking to a campaign promise to reduce the federal government, American President Elias Zaal
abolished the Department of Territorial Affairs, created back in 1921 by President Leonard Wood. America’s few remaining territories were parceled out, with the Bonin Islands going to the State of Micronesia and most of the minor outlying islands going to the Department of the Interior. Historian Ellen McMillen remarked, “The abolition of the Department of Territorial Affairs may well be remembered as the definitive closing of the American frontier.”

During the spring, the Weimar based company Duetchautomate unveiled the first autonomous vacuum cleaner for the mass market. Although costly and of questionable effectiveness, the Haus Drohne, as the device was known, became a popular gadget and is usually considered the first practical household automaton.

As agreed upon, representatives from the world’s major power blocs meet for a second summit in Geneva to discuss the ongoing IEF Civil War. Concerns that the Zaal administration might not participate proved unfounded with Vice President Torres leading the American delegation. The summit reaffirmed the provisions of the 2000 Geneva Protocol and significantly, made new arrangements increasing humanitarian aid and temporary housing for the millions of Eurasian refugees living in over a dozen countries. Considered a success, another conference was scheduled for 2002.

Global prices for petroleum spiked as the IEF Civil War continued to disrupt Eurasian oil exports. Naturally, the Middle East benefited the most form the high oil prices with Arabia, Mesopotamia, Persia, Kuwait, and the Union of Gulf Emirates recording record profits. Other nations stepped up production in order to provide relief to its cash strapped citizens. In the United States, President Zaal and the Democratic Congress struck down several prohibitions against hydraulic fracturing; a move that eventually spurred great drilling activity in the states of Dakota and Pasapa. In the Canadian Territory of Athabaska, a number of corporations began operations in sizable oil sands region.

2001 saw the establishment of two private space companies. Orion Transportation, based in Salt Lake City, desired to provide an independent satellite launch capability for private citizens and corporations. The second company, SolCo, was the brainchild of Mexican billionaire Jesús Zuarth Morales. It aimed to be the world’s first space tourism enterprise, enabling as Mr. Morales put it “any man, woman, or child to realize the own space odyssey!”

On October 27, the 22 kilometer long Cook Straight Tunnel officially opened connecting New Zealand’s North and South Islands. Michael Mateparae, the country’s first ethnic Maori Prime Minister, presided over the ribbon cutting ceremony.

In December, a team of Canadian archeologists on the Indonesian island of Flores uncovered several partial skeletons of three-foot tall hominids believed to have lived 100,000 to 55,000 years ago. The media quickly nicknamed the specimens “gnomes” as made popular by the Joel Rucker Henderson’s Old Earth Chronicles fantasy novels. The moniker stuck and the species was eventually given the scientific name Homo Gnomius.

Last edited:

Thothian

Banned
Haha, gnomes instead of hobbits. Awesome. My gnome cleric/thief that I played for 4 years back in high school is smiling from Greyhawk right now.

I'm guessing this Joel Rucker Henderson guy is the replacement for the butterflied-away Tolkien. And a Maori PM for the kiwis! Yay!

Thanks alot Mac Gregor for putting two of my suggested names for the space companies. Since I have alot of free time this week I'll try and write another article for Union Forever. Has anyone done a post on Benjamin Harrison?

Last edited:
Thanks alot Mac Gregor for putting two of my suggested names for the space companies. Since I have alot of free time this week I'll try and write another article for Union Forever. Has anyone done a post on Benjamin Harrison?

Thank you for your suggestions. And no, Benjamin Harrison, and James A Garfield for that matter, have not had articles written about them. I would love to see your take on them.

Haha, gnomes instead of hobbits. Awesome. My gnome cleric/thief that I played for 4 years back in high school is smiling from Greyhawk right now.

I'm guessing this Joel Rucker Henderson guy is the replacement for the butterflied-away Tolkien. And a Maori PM for the kiwis! Yay!

Oh, Gnomes now is it.

So the Democrats are the party of small government here. Interesting. What is the breakdown of the parties compared to OTL?

Hahahahahaha! Nice Chicken Run reference

This update is really gnoming it in :p

But the first robotic vacuum cleaner is pretty cool. The oil crisis is sadly to be expected :(

Huh, didn't know a Cook Strait tunnel was even feasible.

Glad y'all liked the gnomes, I will admit it was not a deliberate D&D/Chicken Run reference on my part. Regarding Joel Rucker Henderson he is probably not as influential to the fantasy genre compared to Tolkien but he would be the closest analog. Henderson is Canadian by the way.

I have discussed the American political parties before but a quick rundown is posted below. Keep in mind the political parties are not as stratified as they are currently in OTL so there is considerable overlap with conservatives and liberals in both parties and hawks and doves in both parties.

Republican Party: The GOP has a long history of support for civil rights, especially towards African Americans. During times of economic crisis Republicans usually push for an active government response such as federally funded public works projects. Republicans are more likely than Democrats to support free trade and expensive infrastructure projects. In foreign policy, the Republicans show greater support for foreign alliances such as the LAR and a robust military presence.

Democratic Party: Democrats tend to be more socially conservative than Republicans. On economic matters, the Democrats have a strong protectionist side that generates considerable support from labor unions. Concerning foreign policy, the Democrats are more reluctant to enter into agreements with foreign powers and usually aim to keep the military small and at home.

Last edited:
Two possible options for the Somali Democratic Republic. Cast your vote or post your own candidate.

Flags of Somalia.png