The Union Forever: A TL

This TL is starting to get too peaceful and utopian. Something needs to happen to shake things up. Another Great War perhaps?
PS: It goes without saying that no offense is meant to the Author
there was a massive continent-wide war in Africa that involed a lot of worldwide powers, namely China and the British Commonwealth

This TL is starting to get too peaceful and utopian. Something needs to happen to shake things up. Another Great War perhaps?
PS: It goes without saying that no offense is meant to the Author

Didn't you read the TL? There was recently really massive war in Africa pariticipated by several nations from Africa and some non-African nations.

And this is not really too utopian TL. Many Eastern European nations are pretty authotarian if not outright dictatorships and China is totalitarian nation which has its own bloc. There is actually something what we would call as Cold War.

Regarding the building of underwater tunnels, I have been speaking with Mac Gregor about writing a entry about the creation of the Robert Todd Lincoln Tunnel, an underwater tunnel connecting Florida to Cuba.

I have a post already created, but with the recent discussion about such things, I thought that I would ask you guys about your input on what exactly would be needed to make the RTL Tunnel feasible. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Regarding the building of underwater tunnels, I have been speaking with Mac Gregor about writing a entry about the creation of the Robert Todd Lincoln Tunnel, an underwater tunnel connecting Florida to Cuba.

I have a post already created, but with the recent discussion about such things, I thought that I would ask you guys about your input on what exactly would be needed to make the RTL Tunnel feasible. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Hopefully this thread will have you covered!

Hopefully this thread will have you covered!

That's a good start, and I'll have to make some changes to be more in line with how they built it, but I told Mac Gregor that I didn't want something like how the cars were put onto trains and then transported. I had always imagined it as a highway under the sea where you could drive from Florida to Cuba, though it might take some time.

Here's what I have written for him:

---

Design

As the tunnel itself was built and the specific role and structure was being debated, the newly elected Parker administration made the bold decision to have the tunnel be used for both commercial and passenger trains, as well as automobile transportation. The tunnel was divided into 'planes of travel', with the bottom half of the tunnel consisting of tracks which ran trains that could make the journey in roughly two hours, and the upper half of the tunnel consisted of roads that allowed autos to travel along a six lane highway for a four and a half to five hour trip.

Gas stations and rest stops are located at several points, with many of the modern amenities of Americans had come to expect on their highways. Many of the workers who worked at these stations, or were on the many constructions and repair crews for the inner tunnels were affectionately dubbed 'mole men' by the media. The tunnel itself sits roughly under 25 feet of solid earth, even at the deepest points of the tunnel. On the outside, an army of golems preform routine survey and repair actions to ensure the safety of the people inside.

One of the first things the designers of the tunnels realized, is that while a straight tunnel from the closest points of Florida to Cuba would only be 90 miles and a roughly short jaunt, travelers would suffer from decompression sickness, more colloquially known as 'the bends'. To avoid this, a longer tunnel between the two major cities was proposed, and the tunnel itself 'snakes' through the ocean floor, ensuring that travelers take enough time to decompress as the various levels. In addition, there is a 15 minute window where all trains stop before making the ascent towards either Cuba or Florida, and cars must travel through a checkpoint purposefully designed to slow their cars down enough that they adjust to their new altitude.

On the descent/ascent to the underwater parts of the tunnel, triply reinforced glass allows for travelers to view ocean life underwater until sunlight can no longer pierce through the water and concrete replaces the glass.

1397417687214.jpg

An artist's illustration of the proposed RTL, drawn up during President Navarro's rallies. While picturesque, the actual RTL Tunnel itself was much bigger, wider, and deeper than the illustrations.
---

What do you think? Is there potential here, or do I need to go back to the drawing board?

What’s going on with the fantasy book genre in this world? Is there a JRR Tolkien analogue? Also I’m interested in a deeper dive in what the German movie Galaktish(I know I’m spelling it wrong) Was like. Is it like Star Wars and we’re there any prequals or sequels?

What do you think? Is there potential here, or do I need to go back to the drawing board?

Drawing board. I hate to burst your bubble, but I just don't see how this tunnel is feasible engineering wise, even with technology decades in advance of current OTL. Tunnel boring technology is really quite slow, and unless it has been made several times faster somehow this project will take literal decades. Then there's the massive ventilation problem, as well as all kinds of issues from the insane depths involved (6,000+ feet!) that I'm sure I've overlooked. The floating design mentioned earlier would be far more "realistic" (note the air quotes) than a seabed version.
Most importantly though, there just isn't enough economic or political reason to build one. A plane can get from Key West to Cuba (or indeed Miami to Havana) far faster than either the car or train passage times you have indicated, and nothing from the TL suggests that the demand for more extensive connections would exist. I understand the fascination with Lyndon LaRouche-esque mega projects, I really do, but there are very good reasons why they don't get built in reality, and to see them suddenly pop out of nowhere just for their "cool factor" in such an otherwise plausible and immersive timeline is honestly really jarring.

Last edited:

Ficboy

Banned
The Union Forever is without the longest lasting Alternate History Discussion timeline ever for ten years straight from 2010 to 2020. If it were published as a book which it should be by the way @Mac Gregor, it would be a doorstopper.

The Union Forever is without the longest lasting Alternate History Discussion timeline ever for ten years straight from 2010 to 2020. If it were published as a book which it should be by the way @Mac Gregor, it would be a doorstopper.

I think that A Shift in Priorities has lasted longer. And Look to the West is too pretty close, I think..

What’s going on with the fantasy book genre in this world? Is there a JRR Tolkien analogue? Also I’m interested in a deeper dive in what the German movie Galaktish(I know I’m spelling it wrong) Was like. Is it like Star Wars and we’re there any prequals or sequels?

Fantasy books are alive and well ITTL. Compared to OTL, there is a heavier German influence. There is no direct analogue to JRR Tolkien but in the 2001 entry, there is a mention of Joel Rucker Henderson’s Old Earth Chronicles, a fantasy series that involves gnomes.

Hey everyone, not saying this TL is back but with the corona virus going on I thought we could all use a pick me up. Enjoy!

Foreign and Domestic Developments

View attachment 531274
Americans celebrating their national semiquincentennial in Philadelphia​

In a hospital in Kobe, Japan a button cell battery was removed by a tiny surgical drone after being swallowed by 17-month-old Murakami Eisuke. The procedure was credited as a breakthrough in treating similar accidents which kill or injure hundreds of children annually. Once inserted, the drone’s ice covering melts and it uses a small magnet to attach to the foreign object. An external magnetic field is then used to steer the battery outside of the body.

A number of border clashes were reported between troops loyal to the democratic government in Lagos and Usman Bankole’s regime to the north in the State of Islamic Nigeria. Despite intermittent fighting, the peace continued to hold. Elsewhere on the continent, Angola and Mozambique were formally admitted into the Coalition for a Democratic Africa. In the Congo, Léon Mihambo reconsolidate his hold on power and even managed to secure an impressive reconstruction loan from the Technocratic Union.

Researchers with the Technate of China’s Directorate of Health continued experimentation with human gene editing. In March, scientists announced a breakthrough in altering single-nucleotide polymorphism in eight children that made them significantly less susceptible to a variety of diseases including sickle-cell anemia and cystic fibrosis. Many ethicists and religious leaders in the West decried this development as a crime against nature.

In Los Angeles the Hutagaol family opened Entoteria, a restaurant specializing in dishes containing insects. Considered a curiosity by some gourmets and gross by many in the public, Entoteria proved popular enough with health and environmentally conscious customers for two more restaurants to open by the end of the year. Some pointed to Entotoeria’s success as a visible manifestation of the recent growth in highly efficient insect farming, though the overwhelming majority of insect food stock was processed into animal and fish feed.

On the moon, a joint venture by Germany’s Imperial Space and Aeronautics Commission, the Russian Empire’s Aviation and Space Bureau, and a number of private space companies successfully used electrolysis to extract certain valuable metals form lunar regolith. This and other recent advances applying in situ resource utilization promised to greatly expand moon based industries over the coming years.

On July 4th, the United States celebrated its Semiquincentennial. America commemorated 250 years of independence with a host of parades and observances throughout the country. An unabashedly patriotic XXVIII Summer Olympics were held in Philadelphia.

In the summer, a severe heatwave swept through much of the northern hemisphere. Record draughts occurred in many countries especially on the Indian subcontinent. Particularly hard hit was Hyderabad where the Nizam’s cabinet struggled to provide relief. While the government attempted to deflect attention to the drought’s likely cause global warming, the nation’s inhabitants, known as Mulki “countrymen”, focused their anger at the state’s Muslim monarchy, which was increasingly viewed as foreign and archaic despite attempts by Nizam Asaf Jah IX to modernize and include Hindus.

During a well-publicized address commemorating the ten-year anniversary of the first Martian landing, President Desmond Parker declared that America would establish a permanent presence on Mars by 2036. Many thought of this announcement as an attempt to upstage China which went on to launch its first manned mission to the Red Planet in November.

In the fall, the Association of European States started operating a massive new particle accelerator, the Dieffenbach Supercollider (DSC). The project cost billions of German marks and upon completion became the largest machine in the world. Scientists around the globe hoped that the DSC would lead to impressive breakthroughs in particle physics in the near future.

As is common in midterm elections, the balance of power in the United States Congress shifted away from the sitting president’s party with the Democrats capturing the Senate and reducing the Republican majority in the House of Representatives. The new Senate Majority Leader, Harry Molina of Nebraska, became a leading critic of President Parker’s policies claiming they were “infeasible by a Congress honor bound to abide by the balanced budget provisions of the 18th Amendment.”

Virtual copies of particular objects, known as digital twins, were increasingly used for modeling and predicative analysis. Once only employed for expensive technically complex individual items such as aircraft engines or nuclear reactors, digital twins are now used by computers to track maintenance and run system simulations for everything from kitchen appliances to autonomous taxis and human hearts.

In December, the Seychelles achieved dominion status in the Commonwealth of Nations, ending over two centuries of British colonial rule. With just over 100,000 citizens, the archipelago, long reliant on European tourism, sought to position itself as a conduit between Africa and the nations of the Middle East and the growing economic heft of the Community of South Asian States.

View attachment 531277
Flag of the Seychelles Commonwealth​

Hi I am new to this but I have to ask what ever happened to the Jewish homeland and the Scattered Jews moving back to lost lands.

Hi I am new to this but I have to ask what ever happened to the Jewish homeland and the Scattered Jews moving back to lost lands.

In Russia is not such pogroms in Russia at end of 19th century as in OTL and Holocaust is avoided so not so massive move to Levantine. And without such terrible atrocities zionism never becomes very strong. During Great War Brits didn't manage or even colonised Middle Eat so not any Western nation gets idea for creation of Jewish state.

This means that many European countries which suffered from Holocaust like Germany, Poland, rest of East Europe, France and Benelux have much bigger Jewish population.

Culture: Dreamworld's The Presidents (2025-2026)
Hey y'all, I know it has been awhile but I'm pleased to announce that some new content will appear on The Union Forever in the next few weeks. While this isn't a full resumption of the timeline it will include at least a 2027 update and some standalone articles. The first is provided by longtime friend of TUF theKlicktator . Thanks for your support. If anyone else has any submissions send them to me via PM. Cheers!

Dreamworld's The Presidents (2025-2026)

In honor of the American Sestercentennial (250 years), Dreamworld Film Company announced that starting in 2025 it would be producing a limited series on every single U.S. President, starting with George Washington, showing one episode a week for 41 weeks straight until finishing with the episode featuring incumbent president Desmond Parker on July 4th, 2026.

The limited series documented the life of each President of the United States, including their life before, during, and after their presidency when applicable. Though each episode varied in length, with the episode on Robert Todd Lincoln being over 2 1/2 hours in particular, each episode was given the full financial support of Dreamworld and final approval of the script was held by each president's official library to ensure historical accuracy and political neutrality.

Utilizing their unrivaled resources and the patriotic fervor gripping the country, Dreamworld spared no expense in bringing the history of the presidents to life, such as the Battle of Havana featuring Theodore Roosevelt breaking the record for the most extras ever used in a battle sequence for a television series. Some of the best American actors, actresses, and directors in filmmaking jumped at the chance to be a part of the production, seeing it as an opportunity to display their patriotism and clean up at the awards ceremonies in the following year.

Reception for the series was overwhelmingly positive from viewers, with almost every episode holding the #1 viewership rating when it debuted. Upon seeing the episode for Andrew Jackson, the New York Times remarked that "rarely is the life of such a complex figure as Jackson given the opportunity to tell its own tale. The Presidents doesn't demand you worship or decry the man, only that you listen and learn. I can think of no higher praise for the series than this: the week until the next episode will be torturous."

The Presidents however was not without its critics. A number of historians and activists thought that several episodes glossed over controversial topics such as slavery and the treatment of Native Americans. Prominent feminist Jennell Harleigh wrote a scathing critique of the episodes on Presidents Margaret Stewart and Carla Navarro citing a prevasive subtext that styled their accomplishments as “impressive… for a woman.”

One of the actors who most benefitted from their appearance on The Presidents was action star Benjamin Whitehorse. Originally of Citizen Maverick fame, Whitehorse was long considered a macho action star with limited acting capabilities that was good for little more than bringing in mountains of dollars at the box office. He surprised his critics with a complex, believable portrayals of Frank MacArthur and Peter Rowland. He was widely considered the best in the entire cast of presidents, stealing the Griffith Award for Best Actor in a Leading Dramatic Role from frontrunner Jason Shadle for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln.

During the press tour for his episode, Whitehorse surprised his critics once again by showing off the rigorous research he had done to portray his presidents was able to give complex answers in numerous political topics with ease. With his rising popularity and recently discovered aptitude for politics, the Republican Party tapped him for the recently opened Senate seat in Arizona which he won in the 2026 election.

Benjamin Whitehorse.png

Benjamin Whitehorse on the campaign trail outside the Arizona State Capitol in Halleckville, AZ. His portrayal of Presidents Frank MacArthur and Peter Roland was widely considered to be the best of the entire series and even won the plaudits of current President Desmond Parker. Parker's endorsement lead to even more popularity with Republicans, making him a rising star in the GOP.

Last edited:
2027: Foreign and Domestic Developments

Plants.png

Genetically engineered bioluminescent plants
2027 World's Fair

The 2027 World’s Fair was held in Aden, South Arabia. Notable exhibits included a prototype for a powered exoskeleton with potential applications for improving mobility for the disabled and to augment strength for certain industrial tasks. Another show case that caught the public’s attention was a display of genetically engineered bioluminescent plants from Japan.

After a series of court cases, the Sami, an indigenous people group in northern Scandinavia, won certain mineral and fishing rights on the Gulf of Bothnia. These concessions were a rare victory for the Sami who had often been exploited by Nordic and Russian governments. Sami advocate Niko Jusso heralded the decision as “a big wing for the Sami, our Sampi homeland, and native peoples around the globe.”

Scientists at the University of California created a way to arrange individual atoms to store information. By placing single xenon atoms on a sheet of nickel, data could be stored in a very small amount of space written in either letters or binary code. Unfortunately, because atoms naturally move around, the process had to be conducted at temperatures near -269 Celsius. It was hoped that further research and experimentation with different materials might allow the atoms to be kept at warmer temperatures.

The longtime dictator of Mesopotamia Isa Abu Samad died of liver failure on June 13. Having ruled since 1988, Abu Samad had kept the petrostate closely tied to Persia and its power bloc, the Organization for Mutual Development. Efforts to install his son Haydar in power sparked a wave of violent protests by Sunnis and reformist Shias who wished to see their country forge a different path. With Persian assistance, Haydar managed to consolidate his authority as leader through brutal repression, with the death toll believed to be in the thousands. Haydar loudly blamed Turkey and the Sunni Arab states for “stoking discontent.”

In July, China became the third nation to land a man on Mars. A stunning accomplishment for the Technate, it came over a decade after the United States and Germany put footprints on the Red Planet. The mission, dubbed Fāxiàn 4 , followed the earlier American model of spending only a month on the surface before beginning the more than a yearlong return mission. Chinese leader Sun Xiaowen lauded the three-man crew’s success, and declared that China and the Technocratic Union had “closed the gap” with the West.

Tiwonge Banda, an East African refugee who settled in French Algeria, published The Skeleton Road. Written after her family and home were destroyed by AAA soldiers, it detailed her harrowing flight and the horrors she braved in surviving the African War. Praised for her courage and writing prowess, Banda refused to accept any profits from the novel, giving all of the proceeds to charity funds throughout Africa, stating that "it would be wrong to make money off the suffering of a continent."

In the United States and other developed economies, Agri-drones are increasingly used in farming to weed, fertilize, harvest, and monitor crops. These machines took a variety of shape from flying quadcopters dispensing pesticides to autonomous tractors. Agri-drones did much to further precision farming, but resulted in decreased demand for agricultural workers. As such, the League of American Republics witnessed an 18% drop in visas for seasonal workers by the end of the decade.

In the autumn, Irish poet and eco-activist Eireen Daley scaled Nelson’s Pillar in downtown Dublin and chained herself to the statue at its top. Daley’s actions were meant to press for greater measures to combat climate change. Widely covered by the media, Daley’s example spawned hundreds of copycat demonstrations around the globe, some of which resulted in serious injuries due to police intervention or accidents.

The Turin Pact’s European Space Research Organization (ORSE) increased efforts to find signs of life on exoplanets with the start of the Coeus Initiative. Named after the titan of inquiry from Greek Mythology, the project strove to identify certain gases in the atmospheres of exoplanets through spectral analysis. If on suitable worlds significant quantities of oxygen or methane were detected, that could indicate photosynthesis or biological processes. The Coeus Initiative also searched for the presence of chlorofluorocarbons, which might be indicative of a technological advanced civilization.

On November 29, over 18 months of sustained protests fueled by economic stagnation, lack of political representation, and ethnic identity came to a head when the Nizam of Hyderabad Asaf Jah IX abdicated. Asaf Jah and his family fled into exile to the Union of Gulf Emirates, ending his Muslim dynasty’s 303 years of rule over the Deccan state. An interim government was established representing the Dravidian speaking Hindu majority. Both Madras and India had recognized the new administration by the end of the year,

Brazilian automobile manufacturer Renascimento unveiled A Onda, a new electric self-driving vehicle for the mass-market. With the aid of improved battery-supercapactor hybrids, the A Onda had a hitherto unheard-of range of 955 km. The stylish A Onda became a bestseller throughout the Americas and a desired import in Europe. Imitations, such as the Liberty Auto Company’s Pioneer were soon to follow.

A Onda.png

The 2027 Renascimento A Onda

Last edited:

View attachment 632939
Genetically engineered bioluminescent plants
2027 World's Fair

The 2027 World’s Fair was held in Aden, South Arabia. Notable exhibits included a prototype for a powered exoskeleton with potential applications for improving mobility for the disabled and to augment strength for certain industrial tasks. Another show case that caught the public’s attention was a display of genetically engineered bioluminescent plants from Japan.

After a series of court cases, the Sami, an indigenous people group in northern Scandinavia, won certain mineral and fishing rights on the Gulf of Bothnia. These concessions were a rare victory for the Sami who had often been exploited by Nordic and Russian governments. Sami advocate Niko Jusso heralded the decision as “a big wing for the Sami, our Sampi homeland, and native peoples around the globe.”

Scientists at the University of California created a way to arrange individual atoms to store information. By placing single xenon atoms on a sheet of nickel, data could be stored in a very small amount of space written in either letters or binary code. Unfortunately, because atoms naturally move around, the process had to be conducted at temperatures near -269 Celsius. It was hoped that further research and experimentation with different materials might allow the atoms to be kept at warmer temperatures.

The longtime dictator of Mesopotamia Isa Abu Samad died of liver failure on June 13. Having ruled since 1988, Abu Samad had kept the petrostate closely tied to Persia and its power bloc, the Organization for Mutual Development. Efforts to install his son Haydar in power sparked a wave of violent protests by Sunnis and reformist Shias who wished to see their country forge a different path. With Persian assistance, Haydar managed to consolidate his authority as leader through brutal repression, with the death toll believed to be in the thousands. Haydar loudly blamed Turkey and the Sunni Arab states for “stoking discontent.”

In July, China became the third nation to land a man on Mars. A stunning accomplishment for the Technate, it came over a decade after the United States and Germany put footprints on the Red Planet. The mission, dubbed Fāxiàn 4 , followed the earlier American model of spending only a month on the surface before beginning the more than a yearlong return mission. Chinese leader Sun Xiaowen lauded the three-man crew’s success, and declared that China and the Technocratic Union had “closed the gap” with the West.

Tiwonge Banda, an East African refugee who settled in French Algeria, published The Skeleton Road. Written after her family and home were destroyed by AAA soldiers, it detailed her harrowing flight and the horrors she braved in surviving the African War. Praised for her courage and writing prowess, Banda refused to accept any profits from the novel, giving all of the proceeds to charity funds throughout Africa, stating that "it would be wrong to make money off the suffering of a continent."

In the United States and other developed economies, Agri-drones are increasingly used in farming to weed, fertilize, harvest, and monitor crops. These machines took a variety of shape from flying quadcopters dispensing pesticides to autonomous tractors. Agri-drones did much to further precision farming, but resulted in decreased demand for agricultural workers. As such, the League of American Republics witnessed an 18% drop in visas for seasonal workers by the end of the decade.

In the autumn, Irish poet and eco-activist Eireen Daley scaled Nelson’s Pillar in downtown Dublin and chained herself to the statue at its top. Daley’s actions were meant to press for greater measures to combat climate change. Widely covered by the media, Daley’s example spawned hundreds of copycat demonstrations around the globe, some of which resulted in serious injuries due to police intervention or accidents.

The Turin Pact’s European Space Research Organization (ORSE) increased efforts to find signs of life on exoplanets with the start of the Coeus Initiative. Named after the titan of inquiry from Greek Mythology, the project strove to identify certain gases in the atmospheres of exoplanets through spectral analysis. If on suitable worlds significant quantities of oxygen or methane were detected, that could indicate photosynthesis or biological processes. The Coeus Initiative also searched for the presence of chlorofluorocarbons, which might be indicative of a technological advanced civilization.

On November 29, over 18 months of sustained protests fueled by economic stagnation, lack of political representation, and ethnic identity came to a head when the Nizam of Hyderabad Asaf Jah IX abdicated. Asaf Jah and his family fled into exile to the Union of Gulf Emirates, ending his Muslim dynasty’s 303 years of rule over the Deccan state. An interim government was established representing the Dravidian speaking Hindu majority. Both Madras and India had recognized the new administration by the end of the year,

Brazilian automobile manufacturer Renascimento unveiled A Onda, a new electric self-driving vehicle for the mass-market. With the aid of improved battery-supercapactor hybrids, the A Onda had a hitherto unheard-of range of 955 km. The stylish A Onda became a bestseller throughout the Americas and a desired import in Europe. Imitations, such as the Liberty Auto Company’s Pioneer were soon to follow.

View attachment 632940
The 2027 Renascimento A Onda
You forgot to threadsmark it

So we are doing a bit of future history, too? Interesting.

Yes, and technology seems really advanced. ITTL manned Mars flights are already normal in 2020's when in OTL 2021 we are yet just planning such things.

And genetic science seems too pretty advanced. Let see when TTL see first cloned mammoth.