The Union Forever: A TL

H

2. Different nations and political parties favor different economic schools. Some of the big ones are A) the Stockholm School (Similar to OTL's Austrian School)

Do you mean the Chicago school because its pretty asb for anyone to follow the Austrian school...

Isn't the Austrian school just a more extreme version of OTL libertarian economic beliefs?

Your right, the Stockholm School is probably closer to Chicago than Austrian.

Do member of the militias buy there own weapons?
That would be a big cost saving for state governments and the weapons like rifles can also be used for hunting. This reduces the amount to ammo the states have to use to keep the proficient in their use.

No, the state's provide the weapons.

I don't think you're going to be able to build a bridge or tunnel to Cuba; that's ~90 miles if I recall correctly.

In terms of tunneling to move people/freight, OTL we’re just over halfway there. In terms of tunneling, we’ve been there for quite some time.

With bridges it’s a mix. Our longest bridge is 102 miles, but it doesn’t seem to be too high (can’t actually find any pictures of it), and it’s over land. Still, that doesn’t immediately say to me that we couldn’t build a suitable bridge.

In terms of tunneling to move people/freight, OTL we’re just over halfway there. In terms of tunneling, we’ve been there for quite some time.

With bridges it’s a mix. Our longest bridge is 102 miles, but it doesn’t seem to be too high (can’t actually find any pictures of it), and it’s over land. Still, that doesn’t immediately say to me that we couldn’t build a suitable bridge.

Let me rephrase that:

I don't think you're going to be able to build that with OTL current tech/resources. With anything more advanced than that, I can't say.

Pity about the differences in gauges. A competition between the two would have been interesting, but with the sheer disparity between Northern and Southern rail systems, it wouldn't have taken long to have stopped in its tracks.

So, there is still a true state militia alongside the sedentary militia? That raises a few interesting prospects. Do the states also have other branches, such as navies or air forces? A latter-day Mosquito Fleet could serve some of the duties of the Coast Guard, at least in state waters. (It might also serve as a place the federal government could sell some of their older frigates and corvettes) The Coast Guard might have never been formed if that happened. The Revenue Cutter Service and the Life-Saving Service were only merged in 1915, IOTL.

Also, the bridge was just idle thought. If Cuba has been in the union this entire timeline, I'm certain that they would have been considering it. The most feasible path might be perpendicular from the Keys, down towards Elbow Cay, then Cay Sal, and then perpendicular to Cuba. Considering they'll have to tunnel to ensure there are open sea lanes, such a project will be insane, cost a great deal of money, and probably be economically unfeasible currently. But there probably will be plans.

I have no doubt that there'd be plans, but I don't think they'd be seriously considered until well after 2014.

Anyway, the idea of a state by state 'coast guard' is pretty interesting. It sounds like the state militias are something like a cross between the OTL NG and the OTL State Guard.

I have no doubt that there'd be plans, but I don't think they'd be seriously considered until well after 2014.

Anyway, the idea of a state by state 'coast guard' is pretty interesting. It sounds like the state militias are something like a cross between the OTL NG and the OTL State Guard.

I agree with you on that point. It won't be happening anytime in the scope of the timeline. Just thinking out loud a bit too much.

Let me rephrase that:

I don't think you're going to be able to build that with OTL current tech/resources. With anything more advanced than that, I can't say.

I agree with you on that point. It won't be happening anytime in the scope of the timeline. Just thinking out loud a bit too much.

All good points. Who knows, maybe we will get a Florida to Cuba tunnel sometime in the 21st Century. Are there any other mega structures y'all would like to see at some point?

So, there is still a true state militia alongside the sedentary militia? That raises a few interesting prospects. Do the states also have other branches, such as navies or air forces? A latter-day Mosquito Fleet could serve some of the duties of the Coast Guard, at least in state waters. (It might also serve as a place the federal government could sell some of their older frigates and corvettes) The Coast Guard might have never been formed if that happened. The Revenue Cutter Service and the Life-Saving Service were only merged in 1915, IOTL.

The TL's State Militias are pretty similar to OTL National Guard. Some states have Defense Forces/State Guards/Home Guards and some states don't. OTL's Militia movement is much weaker in the TL due to the smaller Federal Government and lack of an FBI, CIA, ATF etc. Alaska, Hawaii, Florida, and Cuba maintain state based coast guards known by a variety of names. And yes as of 1976 the Revenue Cutter and Life Saving Services are still separate.

All good points. Who knows, maybe we will get a Florida to Cuba tunnel sometime in the 21st Century. Are there any other mega structures y'all would like to see at some point?

Helsinki-Tallinn tunnel could be possible. And perhaps bridges over Danish Straits. Maybe tunnel between United Kingdom and France could be possible too.

The only one that I can think of off the top of my head (that hasn't been built IOTL) is a bridge or tunnel over or under the Gibraltar straits. Spain still has Ceuta (and an expanded territory around it, if I remember correctly) so Morocco wouldn't have that much of a leg to protest it

Helsinki-Tallinn tunnel could be possible. And perhaps bridges over Danish Straits. Maybe tunnel between United Kingdom and France could be possible too.

The only one that I can think of off the top of my head (that hasn't been built IOTL) is a bridge or tunnel over or under the Gibraltar straits. Spain still has Ceuta (and an expanded territory around it, if I remember correctly) so Morocco wouldn't have that much of a leg to protest it

What about a bridge across Gibraltar?

Good ideas. Lets see what actually gets built.

The World Beyond the War: Aug-Nov 1976
Hey Everyone, here is a quick update on the world economic situation and the foreign policy of some select neutral nations. Cheers!

The World Beyond the War

August-November, 1976

The London Stock Exchange
September 7, 1976

The Panic of 1976

Although the world economy suffered a slight recession in 1972 due to the Laotian War, most of the 70s experienced steady economic growth with booms in industries such as electronics and air travel. The start of what was now often being called the Asia-Pacific War brought this growth to a sudden halt. Within days of the start of hostilities much of the Indian and Western Pacific Oceans were cleared of commerce and insurance on even neutral flagged vessels skyrocketed. The sinking of a couple of British oil tankers out of the Union of Gulf Emirates in late August caused a spike in oil prices exacerbating the economic situation. On September 7, news of the fall of Vijayawada caused the London Stock Exchange to plummet by 6.8% before a hurried purchasing of government bonds stabilized the market. Over the next few days stock markets from New York to St. Petersburg would take a similar hit. Throughout the autumn of 1976 economies around the world continued to slide with a resulting rise in unemployment. Although these effects would vary from country to country by November it was apparent that this was the biggest economic crisis in decades.

The Neutrals

Baluchistan

Wedged between Persia and the URI, the embattled Baloch government in Quetta had long felt itself teetering on the edge of collapse. Beset by Persian backed conservatives and pro-Indian corporatists, First Minister Ataullah Mengal attempted to navigate a neutral foreign policy. As relations between Persia and India continued to deteriorate this path was increasingly appearing impossible.

Technate of China

While relations between the Technate and Japan had relaxed somewhat in recent years, China remained deeply embittered by the Japanese conquest of Formosa and Hainan. Chinese leader Chief Executive Heng ordered the Directorate of Defense to quietly begin shifting forces south and towards the coast in case China entered the conflict. Bombing raids on Hong Kong and Macau caused several confrontations between Japanese and Technate aircraft, which were scrambled to ensure the Japanese did not cross too far into Chinese airspace. Many foreign policy experts believed that Heng was stalling in order to build up his forces. Others expected that Heng was waiting for the best possible offer by the Commonwealth in exchange for committing his nation to war.

French Republic and Republic of Italy

Having moved closer to Britain during the previous decades, France and Italy held a firmly pro-Commonwealth stance while at the same time declaring strict neutrality in the conflict. Besides a public statement deploring Japanese and Indian aggression, nether power has provided much in the way of loans or equipment for the Commonwealth.

German Empire

Unbound by any treaties with the belligerent powers, the German Empire and its allies in the Association of European States were determined to stay out of the Asia-Pacific conflict. Chancellor Engel Kistner, who had replaced Wolf von Frej as head of the coalition government, seemed to generally favor neither side and instead saw the conflict as an opportunity to shore up the crumbling situation in the Congo while the world’s attention was focused elsewhere.

Imperial Eurasian Federation

With a struggling economy and deep political tensions between conservatives and regionalist groups, Prime Minister Matveev wished to keep the IEF out of the troubles in Asia. As a precaution, the IEF reassigned several divisions to Manchuria in order to guard against a possible move by the Japanese. Many however saw this as a covert way to crack down on Manchurian separatists and liberals by the pro-conservative Imperial Army. Sadly, in October this led to several days of deadly rioting in Mukden and other cities.

Republic of Indonesia

Having won independence less than six years earlier President Slamet Wahyu was not eager to embroil his country in yet another war. Many in his ruling Indonesian Congress Party (ICP) however openly sympathized with the anti-colonial message of the Calcutta Compact. They saw the war as an excellent opportunity to try to acquire new territory like East Timor. As such, divisions in the ICP between the pro-Compact “Blues” and the pro-Commonwealth “Reds” increasingly threatened the government’s stability.

Empire of Persia

Persia was staunchly in the Commonwealth camp having singed a mutual defense treaty with Britain the previous year. When war erupted, Shah Hamid Hassan Qajar began redeploying his forces towards the Baluchistan border in preparation for an invasion. Prime Minister Shahin Attar however objected to immediately entering the war and labored hard for continued neutrality. As of November, tensions between the hawkish Shah and Persian military and the pro-neutrality civilian government had reached a fever pitch.

Kingdom of Siam

Still reeling from its defeat in 1972, the rump Kingdom of Siam was doing its best to rebuild its military capabilities. Naturally, King Rama X backed the Commonwealth in the current conflict but was virtually powerless to assist them. Nearly all in the Siamese government feared that if the Commonwealth were defeated it would only be a matter of months before the surrounding Calcutta Compact would finish Siam off once and for all.

United States of America

The United States found itself deeply divided over the Asia-Pacific War. A poll conducted by Harper’s Weekly in late August found that while 82% of Americans favored the British Commonwealth, 73% believed their country should not become involved. The U.S. government however was much less apt to sit on its hands. Long a rival of the Japanese in the Pacific, President Gavin was greatly concerned that a Compact victory would upset the world balance of power and be a devastating blow against democracy in general. As such, the U.S. military soon began to share vital satellite photography on Japanese fleet movements with British Intelligence. Gavin also managed to secure the Australian and New Zealand governments a generous loan from the Bank of the United States to help keep their war efforts afloat. The war and spreading economic crisis however greatly eroded public confidence in Gavin who was becoming increasingly concerned as the presidential election approached.

Republic of Venezuela

As the only corporatist nation in the Americas, it is unsurprising that Venezuela publicly sided with the Calcutta Compact. In September, Venezuelan dictator Vicente Saturnino declared that he would increase oil production and ship it to Japan and India at below market rates. In exchange, Saturnino was promised advanced jet and missile technology to upgrade his own nation’s forces. Naturally, the League of American Republics strongly condemned this move and warned that these actions threatened to “destabilize the hemisphere.”

Last edited:
Good to see what the rest of the world thinks of the recent dustup. I'm rather skeptical of the notion that the USA will be getting directly involved given how it hasn't directly affected them...yet. And of course, Venezuela has to act the moronic clown in the whole affair, can't say I'm all that surprised :rolleyes:. But hey, at least the Commonwealth can hope to court Persia and China to get into the fight on their side if they play their cards right, on top of Portugal's help (symbolic thus far, that is). Nice update!

So, Persia and China are just waiting for an opportunity, Siam wants to help but is too weak at this point to jump in. The IEF and Indonesia are trying to stay out, but they might not have a choice. Baluchistan wants no part, and Germany will ignore it and hopefully for once not be involved in a world war.

I can see Venezuela doing something dumb. Maybe declaring war so as to attempt to take Commonwealth territory in the Caribbean? If the Compact manages a decisive naval victory, Commonwealth ships would be forced east... That would not end up well as Venezuela would most likely end up attacking somebody (accidental or not) that is US aligned.

Also, if Japan looks east, would they attempt to raid the Canadian coastline or attack Vancouver Island? I doubt that the latter would occur as the resources are needed elsewhere, but a quick raid to attack military targets and naval bases to try and effectively knock Canada out of the war? I don't know how much support they've given yet, and they would be a low priority compared to the Aussies, Kiwis, and South Africans.

It really depends on how the war turns. If the land battles end and resistance on mainland India is routed, that might turn the public sentiment to peace, at least a little. Unless the Compact manages to win a major victory, though, I can't imagine them going far out of their way to attack other targets and risk provoking the US. They'll focus on British possessions in the far east until then, and both sides will remain locked in a stalemate.

...Although, what are the chances of Britain staging a Doolittle type raid on the home islands? A successful attack would work wonders on morale, and with an unoccupied and friendly China to help recover men and material that survive... Might be interesting to see if they can pull this off.