The Union Forever: A TL

I didn't wanna take things in this direction, just addressing the specific "militia" thing :eek:.

Moving on, I reiterate that an interstate system might well be on its way. Then again, what are the odds of retaining a large country-wide rail transit system? That would at least cut down on the workload of the civilian airliner field, I think. Maybe a wheel-and-spoke arrangement in terms of land travel?

I didn't wanna take things in this direction, just addressing the specific "militia" thing :eek:.

Moving on, I reiterate that an interstate system might well be on its way. Then again, what are the odds of retaining a large country-wide rail transit system? That would at least cut down on the workload of the civilian airliner field, I think. Maybe a wheel-and-spoke arrangement in terms of land travel?

Don't see how such a thing could happen on a large scale. Economics is just that, and when cheap personal transportation comes along, it would supplant most rail transport. The best way to maintain the rails would be some change in large-haul trucks and buses and aircraft to make them less palatable of a transportation option.

Either that, or they come later in the timeline. The rails survived well until tractor-trailers replaced them as the major source of cargo hauling. In short haul situations, there is no way that trains could stay competitive with trucks. But in long distance routes, they still would be competitive.

Perhaps diesel trains could be invented (comparatively) sooner, and cargo trains are more relevant? A more prosperous union could also have more rail being built in the first place. If that is the case, one of the complaints of rail travel (not being able to go to as many places as a truck could) would be somewhat alleviated. And a South that wasn't devastated by the Civil War would have more rail infrastructure in the first place.

As for passenger rail, it will reduce by a large amount. Air travel is new and exciting, as are automobiles. Trains are old hat, and the fad aspect alone will reduce travel. If they are to stay in business, they have to develop in a few ways. Passenger trains must start converting to take care of their advantages. They have to carry passengers in greater comfort than either aircraft or automobiles, and they must be able to go faster than automobiles.

It might stay prominent in the Northeast as an extension of the various subway networks, and perhaps among other larger cities in the east and on the west coast. Eventually, once tracks start getting better and trains claim a speed advantage over buses (is there even a speed limit ITTL?) they will establish their niche. The absence of an Amtrak equivalent, and its reputation, would help as well.

...That's my two cents, at least.

It occurs to me that with a less devastated South, you might see rail gauge being different in South and North. IOTL, much of the South's rail infrastructure was built to a gauge of five feet (1,520 mm), and it was only after the civil war that the tracks were converted to standard gauge, usually as part of reconstruction efforts. Of course, this is likely still going to be a problem, since trade between North and South is generally facilitated by being able to use the same rail cars on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line, but it might still be an interesting idea.

Rail and taxes

Depending on how an interstate highway system develops, trucks might be taxed different from OTL, rendering trains more cost effective.

It depends on why the interstate system is built and who pays for it. Higher taxes on vehicles to pay for it? Or would private companies build the initial roads and charge tolls for any cargo vehicle that doesn't belong to the company? A parallel to private train companies, in a sense?

H

2. Different nations and political parties favor different economic schools. Some of the big ones are A) the Stockholm School (Similar to OTL's Austrian School)

Do you mean the Chicago school because its pretty asb for anyone to follow the Austrian school...

As for rails, I definitely agree that reasonable arguments could be made for a more intensive build-up of the rail network, in particular long-distance hauling with the advent of diesel trains that can get to higher velocities than the Olde Timey Steam Engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_speed_record_for_rail_vehicles

Based on that steam seems to top out at around 200 km/h while diesel and electric can easily attain anywhere from 300 to 500 km/h.

But why would rail travel beat out automobiles and aircraft? As the US stands ITTL, there are more overseas territories, and more important overseas territories. You can't reach Cuba, Puerto Rico, Panama etc. via rail. (well, maybe Cuba. But is a bridge or tunnel that long feasible and economical?) From the sound of it, sea travel will be that more important with the amount of overseas territories and states.

Actually, that may lead to the intracoastal waterway still being used as a major commerce route, at least more than it is now. Shipping lanes would still be important, and coastal cities thereof. One way I could see is rail networks radiating from the port cities and ferrying cargo along with passengers.

Still, why would developing a large and advanced rail system take precedence over a faster air network and a more versatile and independent, albeit slower, automobile tradition?

You've kept an American Civil War POD going for a long time, and going well. Now to hope that some Supreme Court decisions on prayer and abortion rights get reversed, back to what they are in OTL.

Have there been any court arguments about the Second Amendment, and the oft-ignored first few words, "A well regulated militia..." ?

And 2 other questions:
What's the status of women's sports? Is there an equivalent of Title 9? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_9

And concerning Ireland and the Irish. What happened to Charles Stewart Parnell, and is Saint Patrick's Day significant culturally?

Glad you liked the TL.

Although the MacArthur and Gavin administrations have done much for women's rights as of 1976 there is no equivalent to Title IX.

Charles Stewart Parnell served as the first Prime Minister of the Dominion of Ireland from 1919-1924. He died in office at the age of 77. As of 1976 he has been the only Protestant Prime Minister of Ireland. (P.S. I would love to see suggestions for a list of the TL's Irish Prime Ministers)

St. Patrick's Day is still a big holiday but it has more religious overtones.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Emphasis mine; ever hear of the Militia Act of 1903, aka the Dick Act, that makes every able-bodied citizen a member of the "reserve militia"? The National Guard doesn't count, it's Federally funded, trained and organized/led, the exact opposite of what constitutes a "militia". Then again, it's Mac's call whether a similar act was drawn up or not.

And to wit, "well-regulated" did not mean "disciplined" at the time, it meant "well-equipped". So technically any group of citizens with decent guns constitute a "well-regulated militia". Now, I'm generally in favour of gun control, but on this point I'll have to agree with the NRA - the Second Amendment really is far less ambiguous than people claim.

And as someone who is ardently AGAINST gun control (beyond common sense stuff like concealed carry permits), I'm glad we can find common ground on this point :D.

Talking to those other points, I'm not sure but I'd bet women's sports are no less moving along than OTL, given that the women's lib movement isn't exactly being set back relative to OTL. In what form that takes in the sports arena, sadly I've no clue.

It's worth noting, as John Green has, that the Second Amendment was created to make sure that the military couldn't impose its will on the people (like the British had) by making sure the people were as well-armed as it was. So today, it should let us buy not only assault weapons but F-16s and Predator drones.

Anyhoo, back to the thread: to quote Fellatio Nelson, "Guns don't kill people, Americans do."

Guns don't kill people. Bullets do.

Guns just get them going really fast.

What if you use the gun as a club?

Good discussion y'all.

As for the Second Amendment, gun rights are alive and well in the TL although the movement to regulate them is growing.

ITTL each state has its own Militia (the term National Guard is never coined). The Militia Acts of 1877, 1909, and 1951 have overtime helped standardized state militia doctrine and equipment with that of the U.S. Army.

I bring this up to ask Mac a question of my own: How will the USA's Interstate system end up looking by this point in time? I know it was touched on some ~30+ pages back, but haven't heard much about it since then.

Construction of the National Highway System is progressing well but it will still be a couple of decades until it is officially declared complete.

Do member of the militias buy there own weapons?
That would be a big cost saving for state governments and the weapons like rifles can also be used for hunting. This reduces the amount to ammo the states have to use to keep the proficient in their use.

Don't see how such a thing could happen on a large scale. Economics is just that, and when cheap personal transportation comes along, it would supplant most rail transport. The best way to maintain the rails would be some change in large-haul trucks and buses and aircraft to make them less palatable of a transportation option.

Either that, or they come later in the timeline. The rails survived well until tractor-trailers replaced them as the major source of cargo hauling. In short haul situations, there is no way that trains could stay competitive with trucks. But in long distance routes, they still would be competitive.

Perhaps diesel trains could be invented (comparatively) sooner, and cargo trains are more relevant? A more prosperous union could also have more rail being built in the first place. If that is the case, one of the complaints of rail travel (not being able to go to as many places as a truck could) would be somewhat alleviated. And a South that wasn't devastated by the Civil War would have more rail infrastructure in the first place.

As for passenger rail, it will reduce by a large amount. Air travel is new and exciting, as are automobiles. Trains are old hat, and the fad aspect alone will reduce travel. If they are to stay in business, they have to develop in a few ways. Passenger trains must start converting to take care of their advantages. They have to carry passengers in greater comfort than either aircraft or automobiles, and they must be able to go faster than automobiles.

It might stay prominent in the Northeast as an extension of the various subway networks, and perhaps among other larger cities in the east and on the west coast. Eventually, once tracks start getting better and trains claim a speed advantage over buses (is there even a speed limit ITTL?) they will establish their niche. The absence of an Amtrak equivalent, and its reputation, would help as well.

...That's my two cents, at least.

It occurs to me that with a less devastated South, you might see rail gauge being different in South and North. IOTL, much of the South's rail infrastructure was built to a gauge of five feet (1,520 mm), and it was only after the civil war that the tracks were converted to standard gauge, usually as part of reconstruction efforts. Of course, this is likely still going to be a problem, since trade between North and South is generally facilitated by being able to use the same rail cars on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line, but it might still be an interesting idea.

Depending on how an interstate highway system develops, trucks might be taxed different from OTL, rendering trains more cost effective.

It depends on why the interstate system is built and who pays for it. Higher taxes on vehicles to pay for it? Or would private companies build the initial roads and charge tolls for any cargo vehicle that doesn't belong to the company? A parallel to private train companies, in a sense?

But why would rail travel beat out automobiles and aircraft? As the US stands ITTL, there are more overseas territories, and more important overseas territories. You can't reach Cuba, Puerto Rico, Panama etc. via rail. (well, maybe Cuba. But is a bridge or tunnel that long feasible and economical?) From the sound of it, sea travel will be that more important with the amount of overseas territories and states.

Actually, that may lead to the intracoastal waterway still being used as a major commerce route, at least more than it is now. Shipping lanes would still be important, and coastal cities thereof. One way I could see is rail networks radiating from the port cities and ferrying cargo along with passengers.

Still, why would developing a large and advanced rail system take precedence over a faster air network and a more versatile and independent, albeit slower, automobile tradition?

Very good points everyone.

ITTL, in the years after the Civil War the South's railroads are converted to the same gauge as those in the north. ITTL diesel trains are developed earlier and as a consequence the rail network is more extensive than OTL. However, due to the proliferation of autos, the National Highway System, and air travel passenger rail service is decaying much in the same way as OTL. The exception being some high speed rail lines such the Boston to Washington D.C. Minuteman and the Sacramento to San Diego Golden Coast Express which is under construction.

I agree; the extensive US territories in the Caribbean will make sea/air very important. I don't think you're going to be able to build a bridge or tunnel to Cuba; that's ~90 miles if I recall correctly.