The Southern Victory

(Yes I know that this is one of the most covered topics here but oh well...)

If there are any obvious errors or mistakes or if you would just like to help me out with this TL, go adeah and tell me. Thanks! Oh and I have no clue how to post images. I have a lot for this TL but untill I can figure it out, no maps.....

Part I: 1862-1880
Chapter I: The Conclusion of the American Civil War

The Sinking of the USS Monitor

March 6, 1862: A perfect day for the first voyage of the USS Monitor. The ship that would soon battle the CSS Virginia and save the wooden Union blockade ships in Hampton Roads Virginia. While the iron “cheese box” was steaming out of New York Harbor a huge crowd was gathering on the shorelines to see the magnificent vessel for themselves. This day was to be a historic day for the United States of America and the world. The age of wooden ships was over and the age of the ironclad had begun. Little did that crowd that was of the shores of the harbor that quiet day that they would be the last people to see the ship floating ever again. The journey to Hampton Roads would take about two days for the Monitor and the ship would have to hug the coastline for the entire trip because the ship was not designed to travel in deep water. By the afternoon of March 7, the Monitor had reached the mouth of the Delaware River and everything was going according to plan when disaster struck.. During the night before, a huge storm system had moved over the North Atlantic and by the 7th, had begun to release it’s furry. The waves began getting rockier and eventually, the crew lost control of the ship. The Monitor was heading out to sea and would certainly be pushed beneath the waves. As a result, the captain of the Monitor, John L. Worden was forced to abandon ship. By the time that the crew was picked up by a fleet of fishing boats, the USS Monitor was as the bottom of the sea. The only hope of defeating the Confederate Virginia was gone.

The Battle of Hampton Roads

The news of the Monitor’s demise spread fast and all through the Union had attempted to suppress the news, Confederate spies in the north got a hold of it and reported it to Richmond. A window of opportunity to suppress the Union’s blockade was wide open and in the early hours of March 8, the CSS Virginia took advantage of it. The five Union ships that were guarding the harbor that morning were the USS Roanoke, Minnesota, Congress, Saint-Lawrence and the Cumberland. The Virginia’s first victim of the day was the 24-cannon Cumberland. The Cumberland and the Congress had begun opening fire on the Virginia, but the cannonballs just bounces right off of her, the Virginia however, did not return fire, instead she smashed into the Cumberland below the waterline the ship sank quickly. Following the destruction of the Cumberland, The Virginia, turned it’s attention to the USS Congress. Seeing what had happened to the Cumberland a few minutes before though, the captain of the Congress, Lieutenant Joseph B. Smith ordered that his ship be run aground in order to prevent the Virginia from ramming it. This decision actually backfired when the James River Squadron joined the Virginia in the assault on the Congress. Because it was stuck on a sandbar, and could not escape, the Congress was forced to surrender after an hour of fighting. Following the surrender of the Congress, the James River Squadron began to focus on the USS Minnesota and had forced her aground like the Congress and following the surrender of the Congress's crew, the Virginia rejoined the fight. The falling tide however, made her unable to be of any use so the Virginia and the James River Squadron steamed back to Confederate held waters for the night and to undergo temporary repairs.

As the next day came, the Virginia as well as three new ships from the James River Squadron moved in to finish off the remaining Union fleet. The Minnesota however, had not received news of the Monitor’s fate and still believed that the ironclad would come to it’s rescue. It soon realized that no help was to be forthcoming other than for the obsolete Roanoke and Saint-Lawrence. The Virginia left the Minnesota to the James River Squadron and turned her attention to the Roanoke and Saint-Lawrence. The Virginia steamed towards the Roanoke as the ship launched desperate salvos in a last ditch effort to halt the Virginia’s charge. However, like the Cumberland, the Virginia succeeded in striking the Roanoke and within ten minutes, the was listing. Meanwhile, the Minnesota had finally realized that she was doomed and surrendered to the James River Squadron. that left just the Saint-Lawrence but the Virginia would never fight her because the Saint-Lawrence was fleeing Hampton Roads for the safety of Union controlled waters. The battle of Hampton Roads would prove to be a major victory for the Confederacy. The Virginia had only 20 wounded men while the Union had lost four frigates as well as control of the Hampton Roads region.

Immediate aftermath of the Battle of Hampton Roads

The News of the Confederate Victory over the Union fleet in Hampton Roads spread like Wildfire in both the Confederacy and the Union. In Richmond A public holiday was declared and would later be know as “Navy Day” Realizing that ships like the CSS Virginia could be a war winner, the Confederate President, Jefferson Davis ordered that several new ironclads be build in Charleston, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Wilmington, Memphis and Mobile. The CSS Virginia herself now began concentration on the Union held positions in and around the Hampton Roads area. This campaign would seriously threaten General George McClellan campaign on the Virginia Peninsula and following the defeat at Hampton Roads, the U.S. Navy informed McClellan that they could no longer insure operations on the York of the James River. McClellan hesitated to advance, but was forced to because of calls from US President Lincoln to advance on Richmond. The news of the Battle of Hampton Roads had reached Washington on the afternoon of March, 11 and was meet with great despair. President Lincoln ordered that barges be sunk along the Potomac River in order to prevent the Virginia from traveling up the River and wreaking havoc in Washington.

The war west of the Mississippi River

In early 1862, the Confederates on the move in the states and territories west of the Mississippi River. In Missouri, the Confederates, led by Major General Sterling Price, had scores a crucial victory in the Battle of Wilson’s Creek in late 1861 but by 1862 they had lost all of their gains because of the arrival of Union reinforcements in February 1862. while in the Arizona/New Mexico territory, the Confederate 4th, 5th, and 7th Texas Cavalry Regiments under the command of Charles L. Pyron and William L. Scurry had driven deep into the territory and had even proclaimed the Confederate territory of Arizona in 1861. By early 1862, they had captured Santa Fe and were about to move into the Colorado territory. The Confederate states of Texas and Louisiana were so far, relatively intact and the unorganized Indian territory which had allied itself with the Confederacy had only seen a few minor skirmishes and all of them were Confederate victories.
Following the Union’s expulsion of Confederate forces and their Indian allies from Missouri in late 1861. the Union’s next objective was to pursue the Confederates into Arkansas. This task fell to the Army of the Southwest led by Brigadier General Samuel R. Curtis. In early 1862, Curtis moved his 10,000 Army of the Southwest along with 50 artillery pieces into Arkansas via a small stream called Sugar Creek. Eventually, Curtis found a very favorable defensive position on the north side of the creek and began to fortify it for an expected Confederate assault coming form the south. As for the Confederates, they were eager to crush Curtis’s troops and reopen the rout into Missouri. The Confederate Army of the West which numbered about 16,000 men was led by Major General Earl Van Dorn and began to march north towards the Union troops at Sugar Creek. Upon realizing that Curtis had entrenched his troops, General Van Dorn chose to flank them rather than attack the fortified positions head on. He then split his army in two and had them march north in order to outflank General Curtis On March 7, 1862 the two armies met. The Confederates were tired but had the advantage of surprise as well as superior numbers. Curtis was caught off and had to turn his entire army around in order to fight the Confederates. Curtis was forced to retreat and abandon his position as well as his artillery. The Confederates then began to chase them all the way into Missouri and the Threat to Arkansas and much of the Indian territory was over.
In the Arizona/New Mexico territory it was the Confederates who had the upper hand as 1862 began and had already seized the city of Santa Fe while the people of the southern half of the territory had seceded from the Union and proclaimed themselves as the Confederate territory of Arizona. The push through Arizona soon accumulated into the battle of Glorieta Pass on March 26-28, 1862 when the Northern Division the Department of New Mexico faced of with members of the 4th, 5th, and 7th Texas Cavalry Regiments. This battle although small, would be crucial in control of the region. On March 26, 1862 the two small forces clashed near Glorieta Pass, New Mexico. As the fighting dragged on, the Confederates gained the upper hand and at about mid day, the Confederates had outflanked the Union's right and Confederate sharpshooters managed to find a ridge near the Union’s artillery positions and were picking off artillery men below them. The next day, Union scouts attempted to cut off General Scurry’s supplies but to no avail. The Union forces were routed and fled all the way back into the Colorado territory. Scurry wanted to pursue them, but he realized that that would stretch his supply lines dangerously thin. Instead he ordered his troops to advance southwest toward Tucson.

The Western Theater

Although not as large as the gigantic battles that took place in Virginia and Maryland, the Western theater of the American Civil War still had it’s fair share of bloody battles. In early 1862, the Union captured New Madrid Island Number 10 and Fort Donelson From the Confederates. Island Number 10 was situated in the middle of the Mississippi River was the northern most Confederate fortress on the river. It’s capture was a major blow to the Confederacy. Now the Union could advance as far south as Memphis without encountering any real resistance. The fall of Fort Donelson was just as bad. The Road to Nashville was now wide open. Following the capture of Fort Donelson the Union’s Army of the Tennessee and the Army of the Ohio led by Ulysses S. Grant and Don Carlos Buell began to move south via the Tennessee River and on the night of April 4, 1862 the Army of the Tennessee made camp at a little known spot next to the Tennessee River called Pittsburg Landing. There Grant would wait for the Army of the Ohio coming from Nashville and then continue their advance on to Memphis. Grant did not believe that the Confederates would attempt any offensive because they had suffered many casualties in defense of Tennessee and were on the run. As a result he sent out few scouts and was completely oblivious to the massive buildup of the Confederate Army of Mississippi led by General’s Albert Sidney Johnston and P. G. T. Beauregard. At 6:00 AM on April 6, 1862 the bloodiest battle in the American Civil War began. Suddenly the 44,700 strong Army of Mississippi attacked the unprepared and surprised Union troops. The battle soon became extremely confusing as Union units broke apart and Confederate units entangled with each other. By 7:30the Union troops were forced to retreat after holding out fore and hour and a half. By the afternoon, the Union retreat had stopped and they had finally slowed the Confederate advance. Grant’s army had suffered heavy casualties and his men were being pushed backward into the Tennessee River. He sent out a message to Don Carlos Buell, commander of the Army of the Ohio and told him that reinforcements were desperately needed. Buell’s troops however would take the rest of the day to arrive though. As night fell the Confederates were joyful and expected to finish off Grant’s men the next day. On the Union’s side however the moral was low. However, Grant had a reason to be optimistic. Buell’s troops were expected to arrive the next morning and relieve Grant’s weary men. It was not to be however, late that night a huge Rainstorm had arrived over the surrounding area covering the terrain in several inches of thick mud making travel hard if not impossible . Buell’s troops were going nowhere. The Rain continued into the next morning and when the Confederates launched another offensive at 7:00 that morning, Grant’s troops fled. Some managed to cross the Tennessee River in the barges but most were driven away from the landing area by confederate artillery and men assaulting the area. Out of 48,900 troops the Army of the Tennessee had about 10,000 killed or missing, 8,500 wounded and about another 15,000 captured. The Confederates had 10,000 killed or wounded and 900 captured out of 44,700. in the end, the Army of the Ohio had to retreat back into Kentucky in order to defend the state from invasion. The Army of the Ohio on the other hand had been effectively crushed. Grant would rebuild his reputation but from that point on. The Union was on the defensive in the Western Theater and the threat to Memphis, which just a few days before seemed as if it would fall, was over.

I have a lot more to post but what do you all think?

Welcome to AH.com!
This TL may not be tremendously unique, but is well executed.
This, however, is a good pick-me-up for all of us Rebs who endured JVektor's abomination of a timeline.
I plan to be posting a TL with a surviving CSA in a couple of weeks myself.

PS-I appreciate that you included the naval aspect of the ACW! That,my friend, has earned you infinite respect from me.

Good luck with the Timeline! I shall follow it dilligently :D

Welcome to AH.com!
This TL may not be tremendously unique, but is well executed.
This, however, is a good pick-me-up for all of us Rebs who endured JVektor's abomination of a timeline.
I plan to be posting a TL with a surviving CSA in a couple of weeks myself.

PS-I appreciate that you included the naval aspect of the ACW! That,my friend, has earned you infinite respect from me.

Good luck with the Timeline! I shall follow it dilligently :D

Well thank you. I will continue to update it. Right now, my TL is in the 1870's. I'll post the rest of the ACW later. And PS, how do I put maps and images into my posts? That would be nice later on so that way everyone can understand the current borders of the world. I hope that it;s all accurate and not ASB. One more thing. How do I make a sig that links to this page?

Last edited:
Well done so far, I'll be following this TL. One question: was the construction of the Monitor generally known about? I always thought of it as being a surprise to the CSN when it showed up. The USN knew about the Virginia, but thought it just a "bugaboo" until they actually met it in battle.

Philip

Donor
I don't think Jacksonville was much of a shipbuilding center in 1862.

Correct. At the time, Jacksonville's only real value was as an export point for Florida livestock.

Note also that in early 1862, the Union captured Ft Clinch on Amelia Island. This gave the Union effective control of Jacksonville.

Well thank you. I will continue to update it. Right now, my TL is in the 1870's. I'll post the rest of the ACW later. And PS, how do I put maps and images into my posts? That would be nice later on so that way everyone can understand the current borders of the world. I hope that it;s all accurate and not ASB. One more thing. How do I make a sig that links to this page?

I've sent you a PM detailing the process :D

Well done so far, I'll be following this TL. One question: was the construction of the Monitor generally known about? I always thought of it as being a surprise to the CSN when it showed up. The USN knew about the Virginia, but thought it just a "bugaboo" until they actually met it in battle.

If I remember correctly, southern spies did know about the construction. However, regardless. If it sank, the CSA Navy may have the upper hand as most people in the north were skeptical about the monitor and if it sank, I doubt there bout be another one made.

Correct. At the time, Jacksonville's only real value was as an export point for Florida livestock.

Note also that in early 1862, the Union captured Ft Clinch on Amelia Island. This gave the Union effective control of Jacksonville.
Perhaps this should be changed to Savannah then?

Last edited:
For Your Sig - Go to User CP in the top tool bar - go to Edit Signature.
To put Pictures - Scroll down under reply to - to Additional Options - click on Manage Attachments in the - Attach Files - box. Then Browse to where you have the picture file.

For Your Sig - Go to User CP in the top tool bar - go to Edit Signature.
To put Pictures - Scroll down under reply to - to Additional Options - click on Manage Attachments in the - Attach Files - box. Then Browse to where you have the picture file.

Hey now DQ! It seems that you're a bit slow to the party!
;)

The Fall of New Orleans

Following the loss of the monitor and defeat at Hampton Roads. The Union gave up on building Monitor like ironclads for the rest of the war. The reason for this, was that ironclads now had to be suitable of use in shallow water. The Monitor had a shallow enough bed to travel up and down rivers but the only places capable of building ironclads were on the Atlantic coast. For them to be of any use, the newly constructed ironclad would have to travel hundreds of miles down the Atlantic seaboard to the mouth of the Mississippi River and because of what happened to the Monitor, the Department of the Navy believed that this task was impossible for a shallow bedded ironclad. This decision would prove critical in the Battle of Forts Jackson and St. Phillip at the mouth of the Mississippi River. The Confederates on the other hand had embraced the new ironclad idea and the six ironclads that were ordered back in March were well under way.The Union had to move quick and realizing that New Orleans was only guarded by two forts and a handful of gunboats, Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles and the political general Benjamin F. Butler convinced President Abraham Lincoln to give the operation the go ahead despite General Mc McClellan's opposition to the idea because it would take way troops from the Peninsular Campaign that he was leading at the time. Secretary Welles selected Captain David Glasgow Farragut as the commander of the Union task force that was to make its way through the two forts and capture New Orleans. By the middle of March, Farragut had moved his ships across the sand bars at the mouth of the river. The sand bars were too shallow for the USS Colorado and she was traped on the bar. Unable to get her past the sand bar, Farraut had to leave the ship behind and send it back to Union held waters. With the loss of the Colorado, the task force numbered six ships and twelve lightly armored gunboats along with a few mortars. Even with the loss of the Colorado, Captain Farragut decided to go ahead with the invasion of New Orleans. On the night of April 16, 1862 his fleet met Forts Jackson and St. Phillip. Even tough the two forts had been striped of valuable man power for the assault on Grant’s troops at Shiloh, they still had considerable firepower. Upon encountering the forts, Farragut ordered his mortars to open up on them in a barrage that lasted for five days. The mortars were so devastating that Cornel Edward Higgins who commanded Fort Jackson noted in his diary that “Nearly every shell of the many thousand fired had logged itself into the fort.” Farragut still had doubts that the shells had any real effect on the forts. However, he ordered his fleet to steam past the forts with guns blazing. All went well and his ships even managed to destroy some of the Confederate gunboats defending the river as well. By April 30, they had seceded in passing the forts and sinking the gunboats. All that was left was for Farragut to land his 18,000 marines in the city and secure it. However, little that the Union knew was that the Confederate Army of Mississippi got news of the Union assault on the forts following their destruction of Grants Army of the Tennessee and had begun a force march to New Orleans. Forts Jackson and St. Phillip were able to stall the Union advance for 14 days and gave the Confederates valuable time to reach New Orleans. By the time Farragut had reached New Orleans, the Army of Mississippi had beat him to it.The Union Navy and the Confederate Army met on May 1, 1862 The Confederates had positions around the town built up as well as posting snipers by the riverside. Once the Union troops landed, the Confederate positions opened up. Most of the landing Marines fell almost immediately and the assault was called off. Upon realizing that the Confederates had turned New Orleans into a fortress Farragut decided to blast the town into submission. Union shells fell into New Orleans and the surrounding countryside for several days. The confederates held on and by the seventh day, the Union gunboats were running short on shells. Farragut had to make a decision. To give up and go home, or to land his troops now. He decided the former and on May 10, following a heavy barrage in which Union mortars and war ships used up their remaining ammo, 10,000 Marines made a landing just south of New Orleans and advanced north. Meanwhile a smaller force of 8,000 Marines attempted to land just north of the city and make their way south. The most populous city in the Confederacy, along with the Army of Mississippi were about to be surrounded. The Confederates funning out of ammunition, had no choice but to evacuate the city and on May 12, the City of New Orleans was finally under Union control.

The Peninsula Campaign

The loss of New Orleans was a huge blow to the Confederacy but it would soon be overshadowed by a series of stunning victories in the East. While events were unfolding in the west, the east, where most of the fighting had occurred so far, was static. However, once the Union captured New Orleans, General McClellan finally had the courage to advance up the Virginia peninsula. The Union forces had been steadily advancing for several months but after the fall of New Orleans, it was widely believed that the Confederate Army was falling apart. As a result, the Union forces began their lightning assault on Richmond on May 14. the two days after the fall of New Orleans. The man leading the defense of Richmond was none other than Joseph E. Johnston . Whose military genius would prove to be vital to the defense of the Confederate capital. The first major clash of men following the fall of New Orleans took place on May 31 at a little place called Seven Pines, just a few miles from Richmond. This battle would later be remembered as the “High water mark of the Union” because it was the closest point to Richmond that Union forces would reach in the war. With Confederate forces backed up to Richmond, Johnston realized that his men could not withstand a siege, so in an effort to spare the Confederate Capital, he decided to attack the Union forces south of the Chickahominy River due to the fact that they were isolated from the main Union forces on the North bank. If it succeeded, the assault would eliminate a huge chunk of McClellan’s forces and maybe even stop the drive on Richmond. The attack had met good success on the opening day and the Confederates had even managed to dislodge the Union troops from their fortifications at Fair Oaks and push the Union positions back to the settlement of Seven Pines, in panic, McClellan called his troops North of the Chickahominy River and East of the current battle to cross the river and engage the enemy. The plan managed to stop the Confederate breakthrough but the Union troops left a gap between the troops north and south of the River. Once the Confederates realized this, they diverted their attack in the north and crossed the Chickahominy where they then managed to outflank the Union forces stationed on the north bank. This, along with General A.P. Hill’s troops attacking in the North, destroyed the Union positions along the north bank of the Chickahominy. Meanwhile D.H. Hill’s troops had smashed through the three lines of Union forces and had taken Seven Pines. Realizing that about half of his army was captured or wounded, McClellan ordered a full scale retreat. The few remaining Union troops began the long retreat to Yorktown where they would be ferried across the Chesapeake Bay to Maryland. Out of 105,000 men, McClellan had lost between 60,000 and 70,000 men either killed, wounded or captured. This major Victory would later pave the way for the Confederate invasion of Maryland and Pennsylvania later that year.

Following the Battle of Seven Pines what was left of the Union Army retreated down the Virginia Peninsula to Hampton Roads. The only problem was that the CSS Virginia was still there attacking the Union ships and forts. By June 1862, the Confederacy had finished building ironclads CSS Palmetto State and the CSS Chicora for use in Charleston Harbor. With the wooden navy blockade destroyed, the Confederacy had a much easier time purchasing state of the art equipment from European Powers. This caused the Confederate troops to easily defeat Union soldiers in the Battle of Seven Pines because many of them had repeating rifles. Back in Hampton Roads, as McClellan’s defeated troops started to pour into the port city and board transports bound for Maryland, the CSS Virginia appeared once again and opened fire on several of the transports. Most of the transports had gotten through but it was too dangerous to go back and evacuate the remaining 10,000+ men still waiting in Hampton Roads. As a result, the Confederates captured Fort Monroe of June 10 and the rest of the Virginia Peninsula by June 15. with McClellan’s army reeling back, the way was open for the first (and last) major Confederate invasion of Maryland in the war.

Get ready guys for the end of the war to come soon. I've got a lot more in store for you all. Includeing, Austrian (Not Austro-Hungarian) colonies, A Prussian-Russian Alliance, Span keeping Cuba and Puerto Rico, A much more violent Italian unification and much more. Once again, tell me what you all think!​

If I remember correctly, southern spies did know about the construction. However, regardless. If it sank, the CSA Navy may have the upper hand as most people in the north were skeptical about the monitor and if it sank, I doubt there bout be another one made.

Very true. It would be unlikely that John Erikson will get any further commissions from the USN. Probably there would even be a Congressional Investigation and heads would roll for spending good money on such a radical design :p

Very true. It would be unlikely that John Erikson will get any further commissions from the USN. Probably there would even be a Congressional Investigation and heads would roll for spending good money on such a radical design :p

Im pretty sure that the loss of the monitor would put the US Navy back a few years and if the Virginia class ironclads are still being churned out, the CSA navy could be a major force in 10-20 years if they get help from their French and British allies.

I like this. The South is winning, but they're still taking reasonable hits. Good work avoiding wankage.
Subscribed.