The Road To Willa Cather Landing: GPUR General Election 2012

Was it just me, or did I just catch an LSR TV promo for the BBC produced miniseries The Hunt for Gray April, the naval thriller about a Confederate supersub? I assume it will also eventually make it's way onto Plainsian TV at some point.

Deleted member 82792

Was it just me, or did I just catch an LSR TV promo for the BBC produced miniseries The Hunt for Gray April, the naval thriller about a Confederate supersub? I assume it will also eventually make it's way onto Plainsian TV at some point.
Oh, yeah, I love that series. But I've forgotten who starred in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
(cut the Channel 4 intro music...with a few more fiddle and banjos)

Howdy, mate! you are watching Four LSR! Saturday morning, its football its finest. Yes, Texas, the football where you actually use your feet. Man City vs. Liverpool followed by Wimbledon against Crystal Palace right here on your Lone Star home for the Barclay's First Division!

Coming up next...Jez and Owen break the news....It is now 8...and you're watching Four...LSR

cjr page 1.jpg

to be continued.

Deleted member 82792

What series? Gray Angel doesn't exist.

Tom Clancy however does. Helluva story he is.

He was once enemies, and good friends, with Eldridge Cleaver
Okay. I must have been thinking of another Timeline. Sorry.

Deleted member 82792

Q&A Time:

Questions by me, answers by @Chipperback

What ever happened to the ACW monuments in the Lone Star Republic?

Torn down. Most were destroyed. Some where shipped back to universities and museums in the CSA who paid hard currency to get them.

What kind of monuments do the have now? Trade War ones?

Depends on where you are in the LSR. Some Trade War ones. The Alamo is still a big tourist draw. The Partisan Frontier Monument in Monroe is called the "Second Alamo". Its a monument to the Louisiana Parish Partisans, who fought the Arkansas and Mississippi militias during the 1947 Confederate-Lone Star Conflict. The military action which led to the formation of the Lone Star Republic of Texas and Louisiana.

The biggest monuments tend to be the ones that celebrate Texas' technology and cultural achievements. Go to Corpus Christi and Houston and you see statues of Tex von Braun and Fred Haise. Head to Houston, you see the twin likenesses of Carroll Shelby and A.J. Foyt at the Shelby Founding Museum.

Louis Armstrong, trumpet aflame welcome you to New Orleans at Louis Armstrong International Airport

Just down the Huey Long Ponchartrain Causeway, and through the French Quarter, you see a big bowl rising up from the ground. Louisiana's Superdome...with its adopted native son peering downfield..Archie Manning ready to launch toward another championship

As you drive down the NAT toward Lubbock you'll see their tome in all their glory. The "Holy Trinity" of Free North American Rock and Roll. Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, Ray Charles.

But Texas' greatest monuments aren't stationary. They moving, breathing about their job:

TSS Bobby Layne. TSS Barbara Jordan. TSS Sam Houston. TSS William Travis.

And the soon to be completed three newest members of the LSR Carrier Fleet. TSS Ernest Morial. TSS Buddy Holly and the TSS George Herbert Walker Bush

If you overspend, you don't need to be conquered. Just ask OTL's Soviets. :)

Building up carrier groups is a waste of ressources given the geostrategical situation of the LSR. It is the equivalent of OTLs West-Germany building carrier-groups in response to the Warsaw-Pact threat. Which didn't happen.

Sure, carriers can help to keep the sea lanes open in case of war. But: the Gulf of Mexico is a bottleneck (which closes North and West of Cuba) anyways and could get closed / harrassed easily by the Confederates from bases in Southern Florida. The whole zone of conflict on the sea is too close to home to make the extreme expense of carriers feasible. It will be the equivalent to the Kaiserreich's "Risikoflotte", which was a similar extravagancy unable to pay-off in 1914-18. Additionally, the LSR has the (comparatively cheap) alternative to redirect its Maritime trade through Mexico, the GPUR and the Western Nations of Free North America. The LSR cannot be blockaded. And protecting the coastline can be done on the cheap by diverting elements of the air force and/or use cruise missiles. Even conventional subs (the Federal-German shipyards would happily work together with the Texan Navy).

The only other maritime issue is supporting Cuba - but once again, it is cheaper to prop up Cuba itself to interdict an amphibious assault.

Additionally, the geostrategical situation would force the Confederates into sort of a Schlieffen-plan-situation: outnumbered by the IRNA & LSR navies they'd strike first Pearl-Harbour style against the Texan fleet which can in such a situation not actively go and escape while any attempt by the Industrial navy to force its way into the Gulf of Mexico would also be a costly endeavour. Such an epic naval battle would cost the Confederates mightiliy, but it would be a net loss on its enemies.

Coming back to the OTL-Cold-War-comparison; it would be most realistic for the LSR to have a massive ground force and the Air Force to Support it on the ground similar to OTL's Bundeswehr, which can aid the GPUR effectively and defend New Orleans. The pivotal strategical problem of the LSR is how not to lose all the ground east of the Mississippi in case of a surprise attack and to be victorious in the inevitable Arkansas-battle.

And those a very prudent points, Professor, points that we of the LSR High Command understand. The Travis and Houston are their oldest carriers. They been in services since the Trade War. Those two are scheduled to be decommissioned by 2019 as the new carriers come online.

But: the Gulf of Mexico is a bottleneck (which closes North and West of Cuba) anyways and could get closed / harrassed easily by the Confederates from bases in Southern Florida. The whole zone of conflict on the sea is too close to home to make the extreme expense of carriers feasible. -- That assumes that the carriers are strictly for the defense of Texas and Louisiana, One of the carrier group keeps constant watch in Britain, one maybe two others are in the Persian Gulf region, due to our commitments and friends in that part of the world. (As a member of OPEC, we tend to keep a "weather eye" on our friends in the cartel).

The LSR cannot be blockaded. That won't stop our Confederate friends from trying. In 1964 and 1965, they did try. They failed, but the tried.
And protecting the coastline can be done on the cheap by diverting elements of the air force and/or use cruise missiles.
Even conventional subs (the Federal-German shipyards would happily work together with the Texan Navy).
Have you been eavesdropping on the LSR Defense Department? We have meetings with the FedDeutsch next month about subs.

Additionally, the geostrategical situation would force the Confederates into sort of a Schlieffen-plan-situation: outnumbered by the IRNA & LSR navies Don't forget about the UCNE Navy. They are more deadly than us or the industrials in a lot of ways. For us, Naval Warfare is one tool. For them Naval Warfare is their business, and as Kennedy's Crusade shows, they are good at it.

they'd strike first Pearl-Harbour style against the Texan fleet which can in such a situation not actively go and escape while any attempt by the Industrial navy to force its way into the Gulf of Mexico would also be a costly endeavour.

Such an epic naval battle would cost the Confederates mightiliy, but it would be a net loss on its enemies.
You basically described 75% of the Trade War in the Atlantic. However it was that experience that also led the LSR into embracing carrier doctrine to a greater detail.

Yes, carriers are expensive. All national defense is costly. But the plus side? In terms of resource management and power projection make it worth the expense. Carriers provide the other side of national defense...national offense, the ability to project and hit back hard.
The prime philosophy of Free North American nation can be summed up in this sentence:
"We will bring the fight to you and we will hit you."

At the same time, you are looking at an issue that all of Free North America is hit by and our citizens are looking at it strongly. Can we continue, even with the cooperation among Free North America, to have a defense buildup at these rates? Even with shared costs these are concerns, especially when you also have to factor the social costs. Eisenhower was very wise in his assessment after the end of the Mid-North American War.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone." -- GPUR National Defense Council Chairman General Dwight David Eisenhower, during commencement address at the GPUR National Academy of Defense Aeronautics -- Wichita, Kansas GPUR 1962.

Last edited:
The de-comissioning was omitted from the opening post, so my critique has lost most of its target. ;-)

That won't stop our Confederate friends from trying. In 1964 and 1965, they did try. They failed, but they tried.

....which they cannot for the reason that the LSR isn't an Island and that if it were as diplomatically isolated as to that it were blockadeable - then things have gone very wrong for a very long time already.

What did they do? Parade their vessels uselessly along the Texan coast, waiting to be sunk by concerted air attacks and subs sneaking around as well?

Can we continue, even with the cooperation among Free North America, to have a defense buildup at these rates? Even with shared costs these are concerns, especially when you also have to factor the social costs. Eisenhower was very wise in his assessment after the end of the Mid-North American War.

Yes, we all can sustain such expenditures of 3-6% of our GDPs. But we need to see for the practicability of such cost. Carrier Strike Groups mean a lot of bang, but for which buck? The idea of power projection at all cost is also an invitation at mismanagement and sheer prestige-politics (I am glad that my Erzherzog has no costal access, he would be ready to jump on that possibility as well).
Habituallly patrolling around Britain which still sports one of the largest navies in the world; allied (among others) with the also considerable French navy? That sounds to me as if someone has a carrier with nothing purposeful to do.

There is that Confederate Carrier Group in a bathtub called Adriatic. They cannot hide. And if they'd need to, they could hardly escape. The carrier is their problem not ours, making far less headache than any land base in Serbia or Greece. It is a floating bill.

Deleted member 82792

Miley Cyrus -- Destiny Freedom Miley Ray Cyrus was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma GPUR in 1989. An aspring young Christian Pop musician and actress. Cyrus is the lead character of the popular Siouxland Television tweens/teens show "Tina Tulsa", playing the twin role of normal Tulsa high school girl, now Oklahoma A&M student by day and chartbusting pop star by night and how she balances the two and her best buds.

Cyrus is a student at Oklahoma A&M where she is completing twin degrees in music theory and equine veterinary sciences. Cyrus is a avid fan equestrian athletics and is a spokesperson for EquiSport GPUR, the national governing body for equestrian sports in the nation. She toured with the team as honorary chief de mission at the 2012 Summer Olympics.)

What's she been doing lately? And please tell me she's still a brunette.

The Corbyn-Jones Report
Houston, Texas -- one of the largest cities in North America, now nearly two weeks after Hurricane Harvey. The rebuilding is underway, but it is coming at a painful price...

Good evening from Houston. I'm Jeremy Corbyn....

and I'm Owen Jones. This is a special 4 LSR Edition of the Corbyn-Jones Report.

OWEN: The southern Gulf region of Lone Star Texas-Louisiana begins a rebuilding that will cost billions of the pounds. From Houston to Galveston, Hurricane Harvey flooded out a large section of the coast of this nation.

But the damage could have been ever more severe. What helped a great deal is this nation's vast coastal protection system, but even that was stressed. In nearby Beaumont, petroleum production has been slowed due to a stress breach in the Texas Seawall that, that caused massive flooding.

But this country is not alone in turmoil. Consider the damage of the next Hurricane within days of Harvey. Hurricane Irma. A Near Cat 6 Irma ripped apart much of the Caribbean from Barbuda to Cuba...and even a diminished Cat 4 Irma managed to cause more damage to Confederate Florida than Hurricane Andrew, and the resulting storm caused flooding in Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky and Alabama.

In the Caribbean, the nations of Cuba and Puerto Rico are in a state of emergency, because of the twin punches of Irma, and Hurricane Maria. Electric grids, down, road blocked by debris, but worldwide response races to their aid.

JEREMY: British, Plansian, Industrial American, and Californian forces are on the ground to send aid. Utah's vaunted Mormon International Relief Agency following suit.

The Confederates are receiving emergency aid from their Orlando Pact Coalitions, much of it centered around Miami, still suffering from the effects of flooding and damage.

But these storm are just the latest duress for this continent.
Since the start of 2017, this entire continent of a half-billion plus, from Atlantic to Pacific is in a period of tensions that rivals the chaotic war-torn 1950s.
cjr page 1.jpg

cjr page 2.jpg

In Quebec this week, The Trudeau government is under fire from relief agencies for seeking to stop further refugee influx from the growing violence in the Maine Republic, which one North America observer told CJR has degrade significantly

JANEANE GAROFALO (Analyst for the Cranston Center for Human Rights): The Maine Republic by all definition is in a near-civil war state. Hopes for peaceful protests are failing on the part of the opposition and the LePage government is increasing falling into the Orlando Pact orbit, and nations in that orbit have taken to the current Confederate-Soviet model that seeks to limit and discourage any political dissent through state-initiated violence. The level of refugee flux is starting look like what saw in Plainsian Oklahoma in 1956. Yes, it's that bad.

OWEN: The refugee issue has become a prime issue in a political season were three parties are each fighting every vote. Five years ago, Justin Trudeau forged a minority government, which has survived through economic and budgetary infighting, as well as Trudeau being constantly at odds with the Quebec indigenous population. The main rival of Trudeau's Liberal Party is a person who has been a "frienemy" since 2012. Michaelle Jean, the leader of the Quebec Social Unity Alliance, has been at time in coalition with Trudeau, but just as often in opposition. Jean's party has managed win each of six by-elections in these 5 years, and some feel her no-compromise view against detente with Maine is gaining traction with a Quebec populous already distrustful with the IRNA and the UCNE, now faces a Confederate-friendly government along their border.

JEREMY: And then across the continent is Alaska, which has been on a hair-trigger since the post-election split of the country last December. The southern government, led by elected President Todd Palin, who seeks to bring Alaska into the "non-aligned" axis of nations. Or what some call the "Orlando Pact"...and the breakaway Point Barrow government that calls itself the "True Alaska Free State"
This week, pro-government demonstrations in Juneau turned violent. 8 dead, over 400 injured and arrested.
Along the "Line of Control" frontier between the two factions is a growing arms race. The RGC has shipped emergency aid and arms to Point Barrow's militias, many of those personnel are Alaska forces regulars who are openly standing against the Palin government. Sources report that shipments are including advanced armor and air support, along with President Jerry Brown's call for Californian military advisors to be sent to Point Barrow.

OWEN: President Brown's moves are being countered by Beijing. In a plenary session of the PRC Assembly, People's Republic President Bo Xilai announced that PLA troops will be sent to Alaska.

BO XILAI (last week -- RCTV): "The People's Republic of China will stand along side those seeking relief from the imperialism and militarism of so-called Free States. The Californian warmongering in Alaska is a symptom of Jerry Brown's psychotic belief that California must be the final judge in the affairs of the Pacific Rim. We have no other option but to take proactive steps to protect Pact interests in this area of the world."

MINI-INTERMISSION -- Where's In The World Is "Tina Tulsa"
tina tulsa TAR.jpg

Hello Terranova, and a Tina Tulsa "howdy and holla!" to all my fans.

Where I am? I'm in the Trucial Arabian Republic doing my resident-practicum for a master's in veterinary sciences at Oklahoma A&M university. For the next year I will be as training assistant/attendant for the OklaArabia Horse Racing Syndicate. I met one of the syndicates lead trainers at the Olympic Games last summer, we got some wheels in motions...and guess what? I'M IN ABU DHABI!

I'm working directly with three horses that could be fighting for the Triple Crown in 2018! I'm loving being here. I'm learning a lot, and yeah, I love horses so this is a great opportunity to learn a part of equine science that really fascinates me. How you get this animals to do what they do on the track and be so beautiful and graceful doing it.

As for performing. Haven't done much of it since graduation. I've been focused intensely on this advanced degree. But I will be on stage with my brother and Metro Station at the grand prix race here in November, so I'm getting the voice into trim. But my main passion right now is the beautiful Arabian stallions I'm working with. I just found out that we may try for the Quadruple Crown next year. That means....going to Kentucky.... The Confederate States.

Given that song I made about them a couple years ago, do you think they'll let me in the country?

We'll cross that bridge next May. In the meantime. Stay cool. Be you. Howdy and Holla...AND GO A&M COWBOYS!

xoxoxoxoxo DFMC :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 82792

View attachment 347287

Hello Terranova, and a Tina Tulsa "howdy and holla!" to all my fans.

Where I am? I'm in the Trucial Arabian Republic doing my resident-practicum for a master's in veterinary sciences at Oklahoma A&M university. For the next year I will be as training assistant/attendant for the OklaArabia Horse Racing Syndicate. I met one of the syndicates lead trainers at the Olympic Games last summer, we got some wheels in motions...and guess what? I'M IN ABU DHABI!

I'm working directly with three horses that could be fighting for the Triple Crown in 2018! I'm loving being here. I'm learning a lot, and yeah, I love horses so this is a great opportunity to learn a part of equine science that really fascinates me. How you get this animals to do what they do on the track and be so beautiful and graceful doing it.

As for performing. Haven't done much of it since graduation. I've been focused intensely on this advanced degree. But I will be on stage with my brother and Metro Station at the grand prix race here in November, so I'm getting the voice into trim. But my main passion right now is the beautiful Arabian stallions I'm working with. I just found out that we may try for the Quadruple Crown next year. That means....going to Kentucky.... The Confederate States.

Given that song I made about the a couple years ago, do you think they'll let me in the country?

We'll cross that bridge next May. In the meantime. Stay cool. Be you. Howdy and Holla...AND GO A&M COWBOYS!

xoxoxoxoxo DFMC :)

Thanks for the reply Miley. And good luck!