Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a map I have been arduously working on during my unemployment. The POD is during the Napoleonic Wars, focussing a lot on the War of 1812 which turned into something of a shit-storm for the fledgling US of A. Believe it or not, the French Empire actually won the Napoleonic Wars, but the resulting wave of nationalism in the German states resulted in an extremely conflict-ridden 19th Century for Central Europe.

Isolated from the continent, the British turned their attention to new markets across the world over, resulting in an earlier opening of Japan and something of an expanded British Empire. Today, the empire exists in a greatly wanked Commonwealth of Nations. The various independent nations are all tied by the same currency and a generally loose customs union as though they were a part of OTL's European Union. Of course, such a parallel does exist in the European Federation.

Some points of interest:
  • Russia is still an empire, but a constitutional monarchy and perhaps one of this world's most successful democracies.
  • Irish home rule was pretty thoroughly stamped out. Nationalist terrorists still roam the streets at night, though they are becoming less and less.
  • India is a very secular society, one of Britain's most successful decolonisations.
  • Persistent British nosying in Africa has resulted in a much more stable continent.
  • The Japanese modernised even earlier than OTL, allowing their empire to expand at a much more relaxed pace. The Philippines and their Pacific islands are very Nippon-ised by now.
  • What Mongolians remain speak Chinese.
  • New England, over the course of the century, drew closer and closer to Britain as the United States drifted farther and farther from the ideals it started on. The result was a Federal Republic of New England joining the Commonwealth.
  • Decolonisation in general went at a much slower pace, resulting in many more functioning states and less civil war than OTL.
  • The Middle East is still more or less a chaos zone.
  • Italian Eritrea has lasted. The population is now almost 50% Italian, and shows no signs of wanting to secede.
  • The rebellion in northern Angola is, oddly, a rebellion of white Portuguese against a predominantly black-ruled nation. Something similar happened in Mozambique, resulting in the Portuguese Republic of Delgoa.
  • Tibet is stronk.
  • Australia's colonisation happened more slowly than OTL. Three English speaking nations exist on the continent - the Republic of Swan River, the Kingdom of (South) Australia, and the Republic of New Guinea (northern Australia took the name ITTL).
  • New Zealand is more apartheid-y than OTL. The lack of Maori is somewhat disturbing, but the Commonwealth doesn't have the same ideals as OTL's EU.
  • Mexico is a member of the United Nations Security Council!
  • Germany still clings to various islands in the Pacific.

The map is set in an ATL 2014.

Explain USA lost South? New England STRONK! :D

Explain USA lost South? New England STRONK! :D

I debated over it losing the south or not, but part of the point was to negate America's overall strength, so cutting it down as much as possible seemed logical. I don't really believe that New England seceding would prevent the divide between the north and south in the mid-century. Even if it wasn't over slavery, there is still a major cultural divide, and any sort of action by the government in Washington could set off a wide secessionist movement. In this world, they succeeded, although now both nations are corrupt, backwards false-democracies (except the north is probably better for persons of colour than the south anyway, being closer to Canada and New England, and therefore the greater commonwealth).

Britain began supporting an end to the slave trade somewhat earlier as a result of Nappy I's actions in Haiti. Anything to be opposed to the French, after all, since the Brits were booted out of the continent. (Although you may notice Portugal is not part of the European Federation. It meets all the credentials, but they're closer to the commonwealth than they are to Germany).

Interesting map, Emperor. I do have a few comments to make on it;

-Is that East African member of the Commonwealth actually majority-rule, or was it a South Africa-esque settler colony? I ask since that's probably the one other place on the continent where white people could move without worrying excessively about climate issues. I sure hope it's the former, though.
-What caused the three-way split in Australia between the different republics?
-Also, it appears being in the Commonwealth doesn't require accepting the Monarch as the Head of State, just the ceremonial Commonwealth leader. Is that about right, or am I missing something? Also, is the Commonwealth a military alliance as well, or mostly a political one?
-Also, I'm none too fond of some of your North America borders (mostly in terms of the North-South state split), but I enjoy that Canada expansion. Also, what's going on with Texas and Florida?

How did Russia come to lose the Ukraine when it still has the Caucuses as autonomous members? (Not projecting from current events, is it? :p )

This is a map I have been arduously working on during my unemployment. The POD is during the Napoleonic Wars, focussing a lot on the War of 1812 which turned into something of a shit-storm for the fledgling US of A. Believe it or not, the French Empire actually won the Napoleonic Wars, but the resulting wave of nationalism in the German states resulted in an extremely conflict-ridden 19th Century for Central Europe.

Isolated from the continent, the British turned their attention to new markets across the world over, resulting in an earlier opening of Japan and something of an expanded British Empire. Today, the empire exists in a greatly wanked Commonwealth of Nations. The various independent nations are all tied by the same currency and a generally loose customs union as though they were a part of OTL's European Union. Of course, such a parallel does exist in the European Federation.

Some points of interest:
  • Russia is still an empire, but a constitutional monarchy and perhaps one of this world's most successful democracies.
  • Irish home rule was pretty thoroughly stamped out. Nationalist terrorists still roam the streets at night, though they are becoming less and less.
  • India is a very secular society, one of Britain's most successful decolonisations.
  • Persistent British nosying in Africa has resulted in a much more stable continent.
  • The Japanese modernised even earlier than OTL, allowing their empire to expand at a much more relaxed pace. The Philippines and their Pacific islands are very Nippon-ised by now.
  • What Mongolians remain speak Chinese.
  • New England, over the course of the century, drew closer and closer to Britain as the United States drifted farther and farther from the ideals it started on. The result was a Federal Republic of New England joining the Commonwealth.
  • Decolonisation in general went at a much slower pace, resulting in many more functioning states and less civil war than OTL.
  • The Middle East is still more or less a chaos zone.
  • Italian Eritrea has lasted. The population is now almost 50% Italian, and shows no signs of wanting to secede.
  • The rebellion in northern Angola is, oddly, a rebellion of white Portuguese against a predominantly black-ruled nation. Something similar happened in Mozambique, resulting in the Portuguese Republic of Delgoa.
  • Tibet is stronk.
  • Australia's colonisation happened more slowly than OTL. Three English speaking nations exist on the continent - the Republic of Swan River, the Kingdom of (South) Australia, and the Republic of New Guinea (northern Australia took the name ITTL).
  • New Zealand is more apartheid-y than OTL. The lack of Maori is somewhat disturbing, but the Commonwealth doesn't have the same ideals as OTL's EU.
  • Mexico is a member of the United Nations Security Council!
  • Germany still clings to various islands in the Pacific.

The map is set in an ATL 2014.

Ooh, fascinating! A couple of questions from me, too, tough.

1) The light grey countries (*Togo, Somalia and Madagascar) used to be German colonies, correct?

2) Is that Macedonian state stable or is it a multi-ethnic mess?

3) Why is Missiones independent?

4) What's the story behind those three colored Saharan states (not counting the obviously Wolof one)?

Interesting map, Emperor. I do have a few comments to make on it;

-Is that East African member of the Commonwealth actually majority-rule, or was it a South Africa-esque settler colony? I ask since that's probably the one other place on the continent where white people could move without worrying excessively about climate issues. I sure hope it's the former, though.

It was apartheid-esque, but it's currently majority-rule. Most of the whites are concentrated in the highlands and coastal regions, although the Zanzibar coast is pretty multi-ethnic (Arabs, whites, Africans, a lot of Asian immigrants).

What caused the three-way split in Australia between the different republics?

Differences in cultures, mostly. The Swan River Republic (i.e. Western Australia) is pretty backwater and racially nasty, whereas the Republic of New Guinea is fairly well integrated with a large Asian population as well as the whites and natives. (South) Australia is more or less like OTL's Australia but without federalisation.

Also, it appears being in the Commonwealth doesn't require accepting the Monarch as the Head of State, just the ceremonial Commonwealth leader. Is that about right, or am I missing something? Also, is the Commonwealth a military alliance as well, or mostly a political one?

Mostly political, although the big members (Britain, Canada, South Africa, India, Malaya-Kalimantan, Australia and New Zealand) are also in a military alliance. The other smaller nations tend to be open to military activity from the bigger nations and can and do intervene in neighbouring countries when it's called for. As for your primary question, yes, the British monarch is the head of the commonwealth, but only head of state in a few nations.

Also, I'm none too fond of some of your North America borders (mostly in terms of the North-South state split), but I enjoy that Canada expansion. Also, what's going on with Texas and Florida?

Bugger. I worked hard on those borders. Texas rebelled but without US intervention it lost (I imagined it would coincide with the American Civil War ITTL). The Mexicans gave them autonomy in exchange for peace. Florida never joined the union, however it did lose its northern frontier.

Edit: As a point of interest, it's hard to tell due to the way I've depicted island nations as part of the Commonwealth, but the Bahamas are a Canadian province as well, and Bermuda a Canadian territory. Yay for Canadian holiday-homes!

How did Russia come to lose the Ukraine when it still has the Caucuses as autonomous members? (Not projecting from current events, is it? :p )

It was a little bit of projection, I'll admit, but given the nature of butterflies I don't think it's impossible. The Caucasian states remained within the Russian Empire partly due to the collapse of the Shahdom and the general chaos of the Middle East in recent times. Russia didn't fight a war with the Ottomans either in the 20th Century, nor did it undergo any major revolutions. Ukraine left peacefully, although the eastern parts (and the Crimea) opted to remain as part of the Russian Empire. However, the Ukraine hasn't joined the European Federation because it's a convenient buffer (and the Germans and Russians are still relatively unfriendly). However, this Russia isn't ruled by Putin and is by no means a pariah state.

Ooh, fascinating! A couple of questions from me, too, tough.

1) The light grey countries (*Togo, Somalia and Madagascar) used to be German colonies, correct?

They are indeed. I try to keep Africa familiar yet different when I do maps. Southwest Africa, as such, was also a German colony, but they're tied so closely to South Africa and the Commonwealth's economy that they didn't need German supervision like the others did in order to function. Unlike the Commonwealth nations, the German Empire was decolonised in a real hurry, resulting in poorly-run nations prone to internal dissent, civil war, and economic woes. Germany moved back in in order to help stabilise the regions.

2) Is that Macedonian state stable or is it a multi-ethnic mess?

It's the Balkans. What do you think? :p In all honesty, I pictured Macedonia forming partly out of a Greek civil war. ITTL, at some point or another, the Greeks annexed what we traditionally know as Macedonia, but the current Macedonia became a republic, splitting from the monarchial western or traditional Greece.

3) Why is Missiones independent?

That is the Republic of Parana. Argentina (Republic of La Plata) is not as strong ITTL. The Guarani in Parana rebelled with promise of Paraguayan backing, but Paraguay was more or less chomped by mega-Bolivia. Somehow the Paranans pulled through regardless. They have a lot of economic aid in recent years from Brazil and Uruguay.

4) What's the story behind those three colored Saharan states (not counting the obviously Wolof one)?

Just a different divide of French West Africa. Rather than there being a Mauritania, Senegal was granted that coast, and a Tuareg state was created running west to east across the wastes. It's a pretty piss-poor nation, but there's little in the way of unrest at this time. As global warming worsens, expect that to change. The east is just Chad, although slightly further west due to the inclusion of the Libyan desert.

Last edited:
1) It was apartheid-esque, but it's currently majority-rule. Most of the whites are concentrated in the highlands and coastal regions, although the Zanzibar coast is pretty multi-ethnic (Arabs, whites, Africans, a lot of Asian immigrants).

2) Differences in cultures, mostly. The Swan River Republic (i.e. Western Australia) is pretty backwater and racially nasty, whereas the Republic of New Guinea is fairly well integrated with a large Asian population as well as the whites and natives. (South) Australia is more or less like OTL's Australia but without federalisation.

3) Mostly political, although the big members (Britain, Canada, South Africa, India, Malaya-Kalimantan, Australia and New Zealand) are also in a military alliance. The other smaller nations tend to be open to military activity from the bigger nations and can and do intervene in neighbouring countries when it's called for. As for your primary question, yes, the British monarch is the head of the commonwealth, but only head of state in a few nations.

4) Bugger. I worked hard on those borders. Texas rebelled but without US intervention it lost (I imagined it would coincide with the American Civil War ITTL). The Mexicans gave them autonomy in exchange for peace. Florida never joined the union, however it did lose its northern frontier.

Edit: As a point of interest, it's hard to tell due to the way I've depicted island nations as part of the Commonwealth, but the Bahamas are a Canadian province as well, and Bermuda a Canadian territory. Yay for Canadian holiday-homes!

1) Interesting, and good to see the Natives are the ones being well-represented in their own country (although I'd hope the minorities aren't shafted either, or railroaded like South Africa has seen at times AIUI). Zanzibar oughta be a helluva vacation/tourism spot if East Africa (or whatever it's named?) ends up at least somewhat First World, what with the interesting architecture, music, cuisine, etc. that such multiculturalism brings!

2) I honestly would've never expected Swan River to be the bigoted one of the bunch, but I'm pleasantly surprised that New Guinea is the more integrated of the two (it helps I generally like that part of the country, despite the nightmarish-at-times fauna). Does its title as a Kingdom mean that it has its own monarch in union with the British one, or do they simply adopt the title to reflect their Dominion-esque status and refer back to the King/Queen in the Home Country?

3) So sorta like a giant NATO in execution on behalf of the "big dogs"? Sounds about right to me, I'm sure their common military heritages can ease issues of logistics and terminology. Even the smaller nations I figure could benefit from membership if they are serious about it. And having the King/Queen as the Commonwealth head makes sense, even if it's even more symbolic than anything else.

4) If it makes you feel better, it's nothing personal against you or your work overall. I just REALLY don't like the "Northern VA/KY-Southron NC/TN" map trope at all (esp. if the latter includes bits of Missouri and Kansas), to the point where I've literally only seen exactly two timelines or concepts using it that I enjoy. Texas almost strikes me as an Anglo *Quebec analogue in relation to Mexico; do they have English protected as a language and their own local legal code? Also, I assume that Florida would be a more Caribbean place and/or a land where the Natives can call their own without Whitey scuffing their shoes on the metaphorical lawn? And having Canada getting some Caribe frontage = Win :D.

excellence

J'adore. That *Michigan, is it its own province, or is it part of *Ontario? How are the Metis, Inuit, and First Nations treated? What does the relationships between Canada and our North American neighbours look like, specifically with Mexico and Russia? Is there any appetite in Jamaica to join with Canada? Is Haiti any better off iTTL?

A tongue in cheek map I made. Sorry about the size.

The independent countries of the British Isles in the year 20XX

Future Britannia.PNG

This is a map I have been arduously working on during my unemployment. The POD is during the Napoleonic Wars, focussing a lot on the War of 1812 which turned into something of a shit-storm for the fledgling US of A. Believe it or not, the French Empire actually won the Napoleonic Wars, but the resulting wave of nationalism in the German states resulted in an extremely conflict-ridden 19th Century for Central Europe. .

Independent Florida? nice! :D

Is there a wall dividing West Cornwall from East Cornwall? The Cornwall wall wall wall..... how about just plain The Corn Wall?

I think what you are calling East Cornwall is actually Devon(shire?). I'm not a Brit, but I know people always think Cornwall is much bigger than it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.