Map Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a beautiful map, but how could Portugal fill up that much land that quickly when there are no major gold deposits or other resources there that would have been discovered quickly enough to justify immigration? Japanese America is a stretch, but I could see it happening due to the gold and silver in California and Mexico. I guess my question is this: what are the Portuguese colonies in America like that they could effectively control THAT MUCH LAND in the early 1700's, when OTL it took forever to settle?

Oh they have'nt settled all of it, rather it's land that is legally part of Portugal, like (before the Western Settlement) how all of the Louisiana Territory was part of America, even though their were very few people their.

That said, their have been ITTL a large influx of Portuguese and Galician (and to a lesser degree from other parts of Europe) immigrants over the centuries (Portugal began colonizing in the Americas in 1510) to the point that population wise Portuguese America has about 3.8 million Europeans by the time of the map.

I could see Neo-Platonism making a slight revival, or at least having the kind of influence on India that Daoism and Buddhism have had on the West, but as far as proselytization goes I can't see any of those religions having any more success than the Ottomans did with Islam. By the point of the POD the culture of the Balkans was Byzantine and Orthodox enough that I don't think the people there would take too kindly to pagan missionaries.

The Ottomans are perhaps not the best example since, they did manage to get a good chunk of the Balkans Muslim, and that's not even accounting the parts of Southern Greece that were Albanian. :p

Anyways, the proselytziing is itself primarily in Hindustan's actual colonies (Greece and that coastal strip of Anatolia), though of course the only places that the Dharmic religions make-up a majority are the Hindi city-ports.

here's a little something i finished a few minutes ago :)

using a few projected diagrams on wikipedia as a basis, i altered a basic blank map that is commonly seen here to create a map of the world with a slight change: the mediterranean is noticeably smaller because of the atlantropa project's completion

i was working on this for the next edition of my United Earth Government project's map of earth. in order to supply greater amounts of electricity to the mediterranean and the area around it (in particular, im thinking of west africa), the UEG decided to go through with sorgel's plans for a hydroelectric dam spanning the strait of gibralter. forget any racist implications that the original idea and architect had; ITTL, the project was begun and completed for the benefit of everyone in the mediterranean region and not just the europeans

for other ATLs, you could chalk it up as being in the 1920s like sorgel originally planned (it could perhaps go well in an axis-victory ATL) or perhaps an ASB scenario in which the mediterranean is naturally more shallow than IOTL

for my UEG project, the project would not be begun until...lets say 200 years after the initial unification of the Republic of Humankind. once i complete the pacific and antarctic provincial borders, ill start working on the rest of them

Atlantropa.png

here's a little something i finished a few minutes ago :)

using a few projected diagrams on wikipedia as a basis, i altered a basic blank map that is commonly seen here to create a map of the world with a slight change: the mediterranean is noticeably smaller because of the atlantropa project's completion

i was working on this for the next edition of my United Earth Government project's map of earth. in order to supply greater amounts of electricity to the mediterranean and the area around it (in particular, im thinking of west africa), the UEG decided to go through with sorgel's plans for a hydroelectric dam spanning the strait of gibralter. forget any racist implications that the original idea and architect had; ITTL, the project was begun and completed for the benefit of everyone in the mediterranean region and not just the europeans

for other ATLs, you could chalk it up as being in the 1920s like sorgel originally planned (it could perhaps go well in an axis-victory ATL) or perhaps an ASB scenario in which the mediterranean is naturally more shallow than IOTL

for my UEG project, the project would not be begun until...lets say 200 years after the initial unification of the Republic of Humankind. once i complete the pacific and antarctic provincial borders, ill start working on the rest of them

why does noone capitalise properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.