Diaries of the Doofus King - A King George IV Timeline (1783 to 1830)

Map of the Middle East and Africa?

I haven't had many changes from OTL in Africa. England took over some of the other European trading factories but those were mainly bases, not real colonies.

France is dominating north Africa and the Dutch Republic didn't lose South Africa twice (it was given back in the peace of 1802). Otherwise, still no major European colonization.

Chapter 43

These weekly Levees are almost intolerable. I have no idea how my father held court two or even three times a week. My brother may have had the right idea in cancelling them as the last minute time and again.

Still, it is necessary for the people to see their King. I've even taken to riding through the countryside and greeting the common man. Father used to do that, I think.

Lord Grey seems a pleasant enough fellow. He has given an outline of his legislation and I have given my consent. He seemed relieved. The people are hardly disposed towards Catholics at the moment and the First Lord's legislation to loosen additional restrictions will not likely be popular but I agree that it is the right thing to do. Perhaps if my father and brother had done so, Ireland would not have a Stuart Queen and a French King.

King Augustus I of Great Britain

My husband seems a good fellow. My father and uncle were virtually apoplectic when I married Eugene but, as they were under arrest at the time, they could hardly refuse.

It is rumored that my younger sisters may be married off to the Emperor's nephews. Well, none would inherit Piedmont anyway so these may be good matches. I loathe the Corsican but one must deal with the world as it is, not as one wishes it to be.

As it is, I find the Irish people something of a shock. I have been received warmly (by the Catholics anyway) though and cannot complain of my lot. Neither Eugene nor I have sought a large amount of funds for a proper home, the old Lord Lieutenant's quarters are adequate for now. Instead, I have set myself to improving the lot of the poor.

Eugene, whom has a head for such things, has taken over policy. He has attempted to distribute many of the confiscated lands to the tenants and ordered that no food is exported until the people are fed. Indeed, he seems even popular among the Presbyterians and other "dissenting Christians" as the Anglicans called them. I thought all Protestants were "dissenting" to the Church of Rome.

Still, I have found Eugene a godsend, so different from the Corsican Ogre. Even the French Generals have proven courteous enough.

Unfortunately, the British have refused to allow the industrial product of Ireland to be sold in their Empire. Oddly, most of these products - linens and ships and things - were produced by Anglican Protestants in Ulster. I see the misery in Ulster and hold that it ends soon, for all people, even the Anglicans.

These poor, dirty, ignorant people deserve a shred of prosperity, long denied.

Queen Mary III of Ireland

I fear that the Irish may be discontented with the future. Despite wide assumptions that the key of prosperity is the eviction of the English, Ireland's problems are deeper. In the end, the land, while fertile, has far too many workers, more than it needs for efficient farming. Indeed, like the evicted English landowners, the new gentry would be happy to kick off all the tenants in order to simply graze sheep. Filled with subsistence farmers always on the edge of starvation, it is impossible to think that any productive use for these people is imminent. My ministers (OUR Ministers) point out that developing industry would be a good way to move these people to the cities but what industry we have seems to be dying.

Still, rural workers are flocking to the cities, especially Ulster where the Anglicans are departing in droves. I don't see this as a long-term solution. Many Irish, even Catholics, are departing for the new world, either America or Brazil or Rio Plata. I never would have imagined that I would see a boatload of Irish Catholics departing their homeland in order to settle these new British colonies in South America but I was proven wrong yesterday.

Though a fertile land, Ireland remains the home of a poor people.

I wish I knew how to change that.

King Eugene I of Ireland

June, 1814

Washington DC

President Aaron Burr nodded in satisfaction as he read the details of the new Bank of the United States. Unlike many of his Party, Burr knew that the nation needed a strong central bank, though with perhaps more inhibitions than what the Federalists preferred. Alexander Hamilton, the true leader of the fading Federalists, made the deal with the President that both could tolerate.

In truth, the two were not that different. Both preferred the limitation of slavery and a strong(er) Army and Navy. Fortunately, the idiot pseudo-anarchist Jeffersonian wing of the Democratic-Republicans was slowly dying off. Burr found himself strongly in the center of politics and could normally find a majority on most legislation. His first term could be going worse.

Oh, both France and Britain could be a pain in the ass. Britain continued to refuse America direct access to the valuable West Indies trade. Why Burr could not fathom as British could not supply the foodstuffs, timber products and other goods most desired by the sugar islands.

The price of sugar had gone down after the war but it remained a valuable commodity. However, with the trans-Atlantic slave trade dead by mutual agreement of all major nations, the only way to replenish the supply of slaves in the harsh West Indies was sale from local sources, namely America. Burr conceded the right to export American slaves from the southern states, whom were reeling from the economic recession cause by war and the failure of the cotton crops. By most estimates, over 20,000 slaves a year were being exported to the British West Indies alone. The hypocrisy was palpable but politically necessary. Some southern congressmen are deriding the cotton pest and curbs on the expansion of slavery as a "conspiracy" to kill off the southern way of life. Some southern politicians are advocating banning the export of slaves from their individual states. I hope that I don't have to expend political capital defending the rights of the individual southern farmer to sell his property.

That being said, I would not object to the slow strangulation of slavery, even by ridding America of the slaves.

Otherwise, the nation continues to heal. Trade has picked up again, meaning the government is flush with revenue from tariffs (another sore spot for the southern man).

I've approved the settlement of some more pioneers into the Colorado Territory north of Spanish Tejas. I fear some of these settlers intend to take their slaves with them. The territorial governor has instructions to put a stop to this without any delay. If the farmers refuse to withdraw their slaves, then they are to be liberated. I can't even imagine how well that will go down in Charleston.

I think I may organize some of the other Louisiana Conquest Territories. Migration is already occurring into the Missouri, Arkansas, etc territories. With luck this will continue.

On a separate matter, there seems to be a number of Catholic, mainly Irish, migrants arriving in eastern cities this past year. This isn't going down well in some quarters either. Still, America grows and prospers.

One cannot complain.

I wonder how our new settlements in Terra Australis are faring?

Another expedition was just sent to the Zealand Islands and Van Diemen's land. Soon America will have quite the Empire.

am thinking that if new zealand ittl isn't grabbed by the englsih, the dutch would go for it. as a result the australia colony would get far less attention.
(probably thinkingthe new zealand islands would end up dutch ittl, while australia would be left to the americans (probably some kind of agreement to that intent between the dutch & american / and french if they are stillinvolved in australia)

On a separate matter, there seems to be a number of Catholic, mainly Irish, migrants arriving in eastern cities this past year. This isn't going down well in some quarters either. Still, America grows and prospers.
Worse come to it, see about setting up a pipeline for them to go West, would be my advice.

am thinking that if new zealand ittl isn't grabbed by the englsih, the dutch would go for it. as a result the australia colony would get far less attention.
(probably thinkingthe new zealand islands would end up dutch ittl, while australia would be left to the americans (probably some kind of agreement to that intent between the dutch & american / and french if they are stillinvolved in australia)

Remember that the Dutch were never avid colonizers. Seldom in their history did the Dutch ever sends thousands of people to distant shores to colonize.

In this TL, the Dutch retain South Africa and the East Indies. I do have them with a minor colony in western Australia.

Remember that southeast Australia, New Zealand and Tasmania were on the wrong side of the continent to be involved in the Eastern trade.

The Dutch Republic also spent most of the past 25 years at war and being cut off from their colonies by the Royal Navy. I would think their economy would be in shambles.

Remember that the Dutch were never avid colonizers. Seldom in their history did the Dutch ever sends thousands of people to distant shores to colonize.

In this TL, the Dutch retain South Africa and the East Indies. I do have them with a minor colony in western Australia.

Remember that southeast Australia, New Zealand and Tasmania were on the wrong side of the continent to be involved in the Eastern trade.

The Dutch Republic also spent most of the past 25 years at war and being cut off from their colonies by the Royal Navy. I would think their economy would be in shambles.
actually even otl, where the situation was better for the british they managed to stay in contact with the east-indies. and even managed for a while to reconquer java on the british.
even during ww1 blockade took a lot of effort, and during the Napoleonic wars the blockade was non existent, simply due to the fact it is very difficult to sailing ships on station and no means to detect ships.
the post on westwrn-australia would likely function as a waypost to the east-indies. this australian in the south, and ittl also ceylon in the north (i figure they held it/got it back).
they also held south-africa, so contact was far less broken, so being cut off from the colonies is rather marginal.

can you do one for middle east

I like it.

A couple of things. Sardinia is now part of France so the Kingdom of Piedmont Sardinia is fully absorbed by France.

Yes, the Dutch Republic remains independent.

Croatia should still be part of Austria.

I never knew quite what to do with Bosnia and Serbia either. Maybe one united Kingdom with northern Albania and Montenegro. However, I know that Austria had already controlled part of Serbia to this point and Austria-Serbia rivalry would make an independent Kingdom hard to control.

Likely both the Serbs and Romanians would move into Russia's orbit.

Chapter 44

I wish to tell the Ogre to go to hell but I have no intention of standing in that man's path. I've seen what the Corsican can do to Prussia, Austria and Russia, all greater armies than mine.

Besides, without French assistance, I'm not entirely certain that my forces can retake New Spain from the rebels, much less reconquer the Rio Plata. Britain's influence in the Americas is growing. Only the French peace had forced the British to cut off their aid to the traitor Miranda's rebel army in Granada. Now Britain ruled from Guyana to Rio Plata, almost without anyone noticing it. Britain consumed most of the West Indies. It is only with their allowance does the gold and silver shipments arrive safely from the New World.

The Ogre states he will not initiate a war with Britain to reconquer the Rio Plata. Very well. For now. In the meantime, I have agreed to provide additional manpower and money to support the conquest of Morocco. He has promised me half of Morocco. Of course, the Corsican promises many things. He is seldom honorable in such matters but what can one expect from a usurper?

Father and his puppetmaster Godoy had allowed several "revolutionary" concessions to the nation. I've already rescinded every damn one of them. I shall not call the Cortes into session again in my lifetime if I have anything to say about it. God has selected me to restore Spain to greatness. I shall not give this up to a plebiscite.

In the meantime, the Portuguese have risen up again. Fortunately, the French troops in the major cities were able to put down the resistance there. My own soldiers in the countryside have more trouble but that is acceptable. Sooner or later the Portuguese will learn that the House of Braganza were usurpers anyway of the rightful House of Bourbon.

In the meantime, the Corsican had come up with an interesting proposal that might kill multiple birds with one stone. When a local population proves rebellious (in my case Portugal and...well...anyone whom disagreed with forcing father to abdicate), then they rebels and their families would be given the chance to redeem themselves in North Africa. Already, tens of thousands of dissenters to the French hegemony throughout Europe have found themselves residing in Algiers, Tunis and, soon, other northern African towns.

I have to admit it is an elegant idea. Get rid of your dissenter at the same time as you colonize a new territory.

Ferdinand VII of Spain, Portugal, etc, etc, etc,

Puebla

August, 1814

General Andrew Jackson of the American volunteers pulled back once again, cursing at his fate. The damned Mexican Army was badly outgunned by even the Spanish and their local allies, much less the French. The American volunteer (mixed with a large number of internationals) brigade commanded by Jackson and Miranda had been unexpectedly augmented by 500 more men from New Orleans under the command of Moreau. The French officer appeared happy to do anything to fight for a revolutionary cause against his backsliding countrymen.

It had not been enough.

Moreau, a hero of the 2nd War for Independence (Jackson thought this a rather ridiculous name but one that was quite common), was killed six days before under the god-awful sun of Mexico as the Mexican army was crushed before the gates of Puebla. The French and Spanish armies had retaken most of southeastern Mexico, including the key city of Veracruz. One by one, the towns of Oaxaca were taken as well as those along the Caribbean coast. Finally, the enemy drove for the key cities of Puebla and Mexico City.

While fighting fiercely, the Mexican army suffered a serious defeat even before the first shot was fired. Within a month of one another, epidemics of Cholera and Black Vomit raged through southern Mexico, devastating the population. In some areas of the country, nearly 1/5th the population was killed. Believed to be spread by the arrival of so many foreigners from various corners of the globe, many traditionalists accused the rebels of bringing the wrath of god upon them. The Mexican army, huddled in close quarters in the most unsanitary conditions was hit even harder. At least half the army contracted one or the other of the plagues and near 1/4 killed or crippled by the illnesses.

Then the battle of Puebla, which had raged for months as the Royalists encircled the city, reached its pivotal conclusion. The army was shattered, retreating northwest for Mexico City in search of succor.

In the background, the nominal "Viceroy" of Mexico, Prince Carlos, presented a terrible sight. Enraged by the determined efforts of the city of Puebla to resist, the Prince ordered his French General to burn the city to the ground. Reportedly, the Prince intended the same to Mexico City and to burn Father Hidalgo at the stake as a heretic.

Jackson didn't know if the Mexican Army had a chance of stopping him.

Tangier

The French and Spanish forces had cracked the resistance of Tangier, the longtime pirate haven that had plagued Christian Europe for centuries. Numerous times over the past centuries, various European powers had conquered assorted coastal Muslim towns but were unable to hold most for very long. The countryside was difficult to suppress, especially given the Berber advantage of horsemanship. However, the recent development of weapons by superior European forces had cut this advantage to little. Indeed, Cavalry was simply not the force it once was.

The French and allied forces poured into the countryside, devastating any resistance. Occasionally, a local potentate would gather up a substantial force and oppose the French. Invariably, it was crushed. Valley by valley, over the next years, most of North Africa was suppressed. Onerous taxation on the native population and sales of fertile land to European settlers (and a heavy dose of looting) would help pay for the operation. Better yet, there proved to be several good mining areas in the Atlas Mountains that provided France with additional resources so the nation may be less dependent upon Swedish or Russian iron.

Tangier was next in line. The city was sacked, much of the population sent to Martinique as slaves. As the countryside was still hostile, there was little eagerness to settle by loyal French and allied citizens. Emperor Napoleon ordered that King Ferdinand provide 5000 "European settlers" for the city and its environs to provide a base of population to support the army. King Ferdinand responded by gathering up 5000 Portuguese (and a few Basques) from the riots in the cities and deposited them upon the shores of Tangier with the edict that to return to Iberia without permission was death. Heartbroken and outraged, the Portuguese had little choice but to obey as the Musselmen of Morocco cared little of such internal politics.

Soon, Spanish, French, Sicilian, Neapolitan and other French-allied states poured in. Even the Irish became a regular sight in the coastal towns of North Africa. Lacking any particular outlet for his natural aggression, Emperor Napoleon poured every more resources into North Africa on the concept that seizing and settling the coasts would ensure that Great Britain would find it impossible to enter the Mediterranean again other than as tolerated traders under French hegemony.

So Mexico might not win against Spain

The only reason they won OTL was because Napoleon invaded in the Peninsular War and the aftermath caused Spain's manpower and millitary effectiveness to be killed. Nobody wanted Spain to remain a Great colonial power so they all stood back or indirectly helped the Rebels.

Chapter 45

The Turk continues to vex us. I am quite tired of their antics. Now the Turk is oppressing Greeks, Armenians and other Christians (and, I suppose, other types of Muslims) in Anatolia. Do they want to remain any segment of the Ottoman Empire?

Fine. If they insist.

I will put an end to this.

Czar Alexander I

Lord Grey is adamant that these measures are necessary to ensure continued domination over Brazil and Rio Plata. But is it reasonable to ban emigration to non-British colonies, or Protectorates as the case may be. I am told that over 400,000 British and Irish Protestants have sailed to the New World recently, mainly to the southern American continent. Is this not enough? Must we try to dictate where the people migrate?

I suppose it must be done. America's population had reportedly doubled in one generation from the War of Rebellion. Russia is huge. France is twice Britain's population even without their puppet states. Britain cannot give up any subjects at all.

I've inquired if perhaps we might encourage immigration of other nations to Brazil and Rio Plata. The First Lord seemed taken aback by the idea. But would not any German, Dutch or Polish immigrant hold no particular loyalty to the old Portuguese elite?

Lord Grey is quite attached to numbers. There are roughly 1.5 million Spanish and Portuguese in Brazil and Rio Plata and 1 million negro slaves. Now, over 400,000 Britons and Irish reside in these areas. Might not this huge land benefit by large numbers of settlers with no particular ties to the Houses of Braganza or Bourbon? In the end, Britain provides the framework for economic prosperity and higher levels of political participation. Why would a German not prefer this to some Spanish colonial demanding to return to the yoke of overlordship from Madrid or Lisbon?

Lord Grey assured me he would consult the Ministry about this. I'm sure that large numbers of Europeans would be happy to enter the Empire given how many have suffered over the past 25 years of war.

King Augustus I of Great Britain (and Ireland)

October, 1814

Anatolia

The Russian armies crossed the border into Anatolia, their orders to march to the Mediterranean. The remnant of the Ottoman Empire was in chaos. The Czar would be willing to leave them this final shred of dignity but the Turk simply could not leave well enough alone.

After centuries of dominance, the Ottoman Empire's broken shell was about to be crushed once and for all.

Elsewhere, the powers of Europe - France, Austria and Britain - looked on in concern as the Russians sought a pronounced position in the Mediterranean.

November 1814

Washington DC

Most of the mid-term election results were positive, Aaron Burr considered as his aides brought him the results. The Federalist appeared to be dying. However, factions appeared to be forming in the Democratic-Republic party that did not bode well for the future. President Burr suspected that personal rivalries were the basis for many of the factions, not actual political differences. To ensure that he would have enough support for his initiatives, Burr had already quietly sent out feelers to the fading Federalists to obtain their support on several impending pieces of legislation. Most were amenable and in agreement on legislation like internal port improvements, western migration, tariff policy, the army and navy...

Generally, the foreign situation was manageable. The new trade treaty with Quebec ensured free use of the St. Lawrence. Trade was up with Britain and the rest of Europe. Trade with Asia increased.

However, the situation in Mexico is becoming increasingly dire. Both French and Spanish troops were supporting Royalists in Mexico, threatening the burgeoning independence movement. All things even, Burr preferred that Mexico receive independence as it would be less of a threat than Spain. However, Burr was not by any means willing to directly aid the Mexicans in what looked like a losing fight, not when it could bring the wrath of Spain and France upon America. And after the British war of 1810, Burr doubted Britain would support America one iota.

The New Yorker knew the strengths and, more importantly, weaknesses of America. Launching a war at such a distance was plainly beyond America's capabilities. If anything, it could cost America the Colorado Territory north of Tejas that Burr had extorted from Spain, not to mention France may desire New Orleans back.

America would make few to no great leaps forward in the foreseeable future, instead the nation would be relegated to a slow and steady growth. This pained Burr a bit but knew that even an obscure presidency, if properly managed, would aid the nation in the future. This explained his dedication to building an army and navy worth the name (and new military academies), improvements in internal transportation, expansive trade agreements and settling colonies in the south Pacific. With careful planning, Aaron Burr quietly paved the way to America's future greatness.

For the moment, she would remain a quiet backwater.

It would not remain so indefinitely.

The only reason they won OTL was because Napoleon invaded in the Peninsular War and the aftermath caused Spain's manpower and millitary effectiveness to be killed. Nobody wanted Spain to remain a Great colonial power so they all stood back or indirectly helped the Rebels.

Not the only reason. There was legitimate resentment against Spanish rule and the Spaniards would be constrained by 25 years of war even without a French invasion. With their resources strained by putting down the Granada rebellion and helping France invade North Africa and, more importantly, keeping down the Portuguese, there would only be a limited number of Spanish troops available.

However, the Mexican War for Independence was as much a civil war as a Peninsular invasion. I have offered a scenario where this is more of a peasant's war against the old guard, not as much against the King. Lacking the elite leadership and with Spanish and French regulars at hand, it would be a tough victory no doubt even with some minor and unofficial American support.