Diaries of the Doofus King - A King George IV Timeline (1783 to 1830)

I've been kicking this idea around for quite some time. What would happen if George III had been out of the picture as of 1783 when the Fox-North Coalition took control?

Chapter 1:

Why must father be ever so critical?! Is it not HIS fault that I have no occupation? I would join the army in a moment if only he would let me! And why must my allowance be so small?

Mr. Fox says that father is jealous of my cultured lifestyle. That may be true. Damn the man! I can barely stand to be in the King's presence. Mother understands but never stands up to him. How I wish I could just escape.

On another matter, I saw Mrs. Fitzherbert again! What a beauty! I must make her my mistress!

April, 1783 - London

George III stewed in his own juices for weeks after making the difficult decision to accept that traitor Lord North's proposal to include FOX, CHARLES FOX, of all people, into the government. George III's 22 year reign had seen some low points but never this low. Never had there been a man in Parliament that the King had loathed so very...VERY...much.

Well, maybe George Grenville. And Fox hadn't even been his First Lord, just an obnoxious voice in the Commons. Hell, he made his father Henry Fox look downright respectable in comparison. And this was not just personal dislike. How could the nation hold up its head with such a man in an august a position as Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs (a new position). That the King's long time Minister, Lord North, would so insult his sovereign to even consider...

But the King could not find an adequate coalition to control the government without these men. Rockingham was dead, Shelburne was perhaps the most abrasive man in Britain and incapable of amity with anyone. In desperation, the King had even approached William Pitt, the 24-year-old son of his old pseudo-enemy that led the nation through the 7 Years War. Though less annoying than his father, that the King would even consider approaching the younger Pitt was a sign of the times.

On several occasions throughout his reign, George III had contemplated abdication. This was one of them. However, the thought of his twit of a son ascending to the throne of Great Britain and Ireland...hell, that was more offensive that Charles Fox in the government!

And that said it all.

Finally, grudgingly, George III consented and promptly retreated to the country, hunting every day in hopes of drowning out the rage in his heart.

The King was riding through some dense thicket in pursuit of a deer when his attention wandered, his mind again on the humiliation of his government. He didn't even see the pointed branch before it struck his forehead.

Last edited:
Chapter 2:

God, how Mr. Fox has come to bore me! How exciting he was when we sat in taverns! Now he insists I listen to him as he rambles on about electoral reform and taxation. What do I have to do with that? Is that not Parliament's job?!

I pray also that Mrs. Fitzherbert stops harping about our marriage contract. Surely she must know a secret marriage is the only possible outcome. Britain won't accept a catholic. That is all that must be said.

I haven't told anyone but my Civil List is nearly $1,000,000 in arrears. That only happened once or twice to my father in twenty years. But my new palace is only half-complete. I'll find the money somehow.

London, 1787

Charles Fox, First Lord of the Treasury and leader of His Majesty George IV's government, sighed. It was so much more fun being in the opposition. Coming up with catchy slogans in taverns while he drank himself into a stupor only took so much effort. That was what brought the Prince of Wales to him those years ago. Then Prince George would come and complain about his relationship with his father, George III. Fox gave the youth a sympathetic ear and, in pique, the Prince would go out of his way to oppose his father's policies.

Of course, that fat young Prince was now the fat young King and the master protestor that was Charles Fox was actually tasked with the tedious day to day business of government. Fortunately, his old enemy, Lord North, had become estranged from the King and actually joined forces with the man whom maligned him over eight long and pointless years of war with the now-independent American colonists. George III had been apoplectic to hear his loyal lackey would associate with the loathsome Charles Fox whom actually rejoiced with every British defeat. Only the failure of anyone else, literally ANYONE else, to be able to control Parliament allowed North and Fox to dictate whom ran King George III's government. The then-middle aged King nearly abdicated. Had he not ran his face into a low-hanging branch, there was no doubt that the King would tirelessly seek out an alternative, especially if (really, when) the Fox-North Coalition broke itself apart or became unpopular in Parliament.

As it was, Fox's protégé became king. George IV, a more lazy, indolent, spendthrift, gluttonous womanizer the throne had not seen in centuries, was plainly unfit to rule. He quickly turned over most decisions to Fox, whom found the responsibility overwhelming. The Duke of Portland, the nominal head of the government, resigned in time and Fox moved from Foreign Minister to First Lord. North, bless him, knew he was not favored by the King and remained in power only because Fox needed his support. In turn, North remained loyal and Fox happily delegated much of the day to day work of government to the aging fellow.

Still, Fox felt oddly empty. He liked great moral campaigns across oppressors. It was difficult to do so when YOU were running the government. Eventually, his old comrades in protest began to criticize HIM for the same transgressions he'd once vilified North for. Fox sought more and more power to counter this. Finally, he managed to get the nationalization of the East India Company completed based on their record of exploiting the masses of India and, not coincidentally, bringing forth additional lucrative offices that the First Lord could distribute as patronage to supporters in Parliament. Many criticized this flagrant power grab but it improved his standing in Parliament.

It did not, however, improve his standing in the public. Fox began searching for an issue that would solidify his reputation as a "man of the people", some legislation that would make people remember him for more than his lecherous womanizing (some referred to him as the King's "Procurer of Flesh"). Indeed, even with North's faction in Parliament, only the King's powers of patronage kept Fox in power.

Fox mused about how to improve his lot. He'd considered electoral reform. He'd managed to close down a few rotten boroughs and increase the voting base. However, it had not been enough to raise the nation's esteem of the government. With a King and a First Lord of the Treasury so indifferent to the state of affairs (George IV preferred a warm mistress and a cool bottle to a sermon and his daily legislation), the nation seemed discontent.

As if it were MY fault the King doesn't give a damn about ruling...or even reigning!

Once, it had taken a full week for the King to even be FOUND. After a three day hunting trip, he'd spied a pretty country girl in the woods and spent the next few days in bed with her. The resulting bastard had just been born the previous month.

Lord North was getting old. He was already turning over power to William Pitt, still not even thirty years old, and other young Whigs like Edmund Burke and William Wilburforce.

Wilburforce? Didn't he just find religion or something? No, it was the slave trade! That was it! He wants to ban the slave trade!

That was just the sort of cause that had Britain proclaiming Fox a man of the people in the past. Surely, no one could deny the need. God knows that Catholic Emancipation wasn't going to extend any further for the time being. Fox had already had to back down on his demands in the face of too much Parliamentary opposition.

Yes, the slave trade. Wilburforce had been baying on that for months.

Perhaps it was time to finish off that odious practice. Let Britain lead the world on the issue. Let Fox lead Britain.

Last edited:
Chapter 3

The slave trade is now abolished, as are most of the anti-Catholic Penal Laws. Surely history must remembered George IV as "George the Great".

On other fronts, my financial issues can no longer be hidden. I must approach Parliament for a grant. A few million should do the trick.

San Domingue

It was said that the white population of San Domingue lived at the foot of Vesuvius, always on the verge of annihilation. To survive, the 40,000 white planters must collaborate with one another and find some sort of balance with the 40,000 free Mulattos to control the 450,000 strong slave population.

The French Revolution changed all this. Outraged by recession and failed harvests, the people had rebelled.

Some planters wanted to support the Royalist Faction of the imprisoned French King. Others were Revolutionaries. Many of the island's leaders were openly discussing secession, becoming independent and freeing the wealthiest land on earth from the rules of Paris. 40% of the Europe's sugar and 60% of her coffee were grown upon San Domingue's soil. Only the fear of rebellion tied the colony to France. Now, French government was in chaos.

Even the Mulattoes were demanding equality (though only for themselves. Many were wealthy slaveowners themselves).

The colony had to choose her future.

Oddly, it was the British that forced their hands. Fearing that the revolution would extend to their own colonies, the Royal Navy blockaded San Domingue. The admiral in command was not expecting the colonial government to offer such a radical proposal. San Domingue, which had openly longed for the economic and trade restrictions of France to be withdrawn for decades, offered to (out of loyalty to King Louis, of course) become a British "Protectorate" until such time as the King was properly back upon his throne. San Domingue would be given free access to the massive British market (to the outrage of British West Indian competitors) while Great Britain would be obligated to support its "ally-protectorate" should any slave rebellion occur.

Indeed, it would serve as a profitable bargain for both sides for the next two decades. The planters received British help several times in putting down rebellions. They maintained their property. The Mulattos were given additional rights, if not equality. Great Britain received a new market for their manufactured goods, especially important given the events of the coming decades that strained the British economy. The slaves, of course, got nothing.

However, there would be one point of contention. The San Domingue planters agreed to follow certain British rules of trade. However, at the time, they were unaware that William Wilburforce had finally persuaded Parliament to pass the Slave Trade Act of 1793, banning the trade. Since France (and soon Spain) would be Britain's enemies, the British West Indian planters demanded that Britain dispatch the Royal Navy to ban enemy slave trade as well, lest they get an economic advantage. This was especially hard upon San Domingue as the French colony was particularly vicious on its labor force. In an average year, the slave population tended to DROP by 3% to 8% due to the harsh nature of slavery on that island. Without a steady annual supply of new bodies, the island's quantity of slaves went into swift and steady decline.

Last edited:
Chapter 4

What a colossal waste. Years of effort and toil for nothing. The wars against the French are a fiasco, the alliances falling apart. It is embarrassing to side with autocrats like Russia, Austria, the Ottoman and Prussia against a democratic regime.

Still, the French did kill their King. One must not forget that.

Fortunately, Britain loves me so much that that could never happen here.

London

Charles Fox grinned in satisfaction. Pitt's government was finished. The French War had gone poorly for the allies. The Austrian Netherlands and the Dutch Republic were captured, as was the Swiss Cantons and portions of Italy.

The Revolutionaries, as Fox predicted, had prevailed. When would people realize that the power of the people could not be contained?

Fox had repeated attempted to hold off British involvement in the French Revolutionary War. Even after the execution of the King and Queen of France, the First Lord tried to keep Britain out of it. Instead, he quietly assumed control of several French possessions (in the name of the French monarchy, of course!) like San Domingue, Guadeloupe and Martinique. Putting Royalists in power, these areas had become defacto British colonies. The First Lord intended to wait it out but Parliament rebelled. The mercurial King George IV, held largely in contempt by the public after ten years on the throne, abruptly realized that if one King may be overthrown, may not another?

Fox refused the King's entreaties and George IV loudly announced he'd lost confidence in his longtime favorite. That was enough for the factions of the Whig party to collapse into feuding. North was dead, his faction largely broken up between Fox and the ascending Pitt. Wilburforce joined Fox in opposition, Burke remained with Pitt in government.

The humiliating defeat on the continent was a given. The King's brother, the Duke of York, led the British portion of the expedition, resulting in a complete fiasco. Austria, Russia, Prussia, Spain, one by one they were defeated or fell into infighting. Austria cared more for gaining territory in Italy than fighting the French. Infuriated, the Russians turned north. However, they were treated shabbily by their British allies and effectively marched home in a huff. The Spaniards proved incompetent and were actually forced into an alliance with France.

In the end, the King of France was still dead, as were hundreds of thousands of soldiers. The Revolution continued, though at a less bloody pace. Burke, that hypocrite, continued to rant and rave about the matter in various editorials. A brilliant man, Burke had broken with Fox completely over the Revolution. If Fox had been...indiscrete in his words supporting the idea of radical change in the Old Regime, Burke's absurd reactionary rhetoric was no less out of touch. It was said that the nation was in support of war. The defeat, and the expense involved, made it less popular.

Perhaps worse, several Indian states were at war with Britain. Fox had hoped restraining the voracious East India Company from their plunder may make for peaceful trade. It did not. It only emboldened the Indian states (supported by French troops and money).

Britain had too much on her plate but Pitt demanded that war continue. The King, seeing he would be forced to attend far too many councils, began to realize that Pitt was not the answer for the nation. Too cowardly to demand Pitt's resignation, George IV criticized the man behind his back. Pitt took the hint and turned in his tokens of office with his typical cold reserve, as did Burke.

Summoning Fox back from his exile, the King pleaded for his "dear friend's" forgiveness and loss of faith. Fox received the King's full support and all that entailed.

At once, Fox sent out feelers for peace. Pitt's followers in the Whig Party (many called them Tories) were ushered out of office.

However, he was to be surprised by the resiliency of his rival and the will of the British public. Many saw the war as a crusade against the chaos of the French Revolution. Fox's indiscrete comments in support were taken badly in some quarters. His majority, if one could call it as such, was slender from day one.

Even as his ambassadors reached Paris, Pitt's forces were moving against him in Parliament.

Last edited:
Chapter 5:

Why can Pitt not understand that it was no the King's place to encourage reform?

The cold fish seemed almost offended when George reversed his earlier positions on Catholic reform and electoral reform. The man even threatened to resign. However, Pitt was more intent on the new alliance. Hopefully that will shut him up.

In the meantime, my new palace is lovely. However, I'll have to ask for another Parliamentary grant to account for the overruns.

Mrs. Fitzherbert is offended that I brought another mistress to my party last weekend. She is becoming a trial and brought up that I still haven't acknowledged her as my Queen. I told her I would sooner or later. In the meantime, I need to find that marriage contract. The public would not understand.

My cousin Caroline of Brunswick is complaining again about her allowance. What can I do? I'm devastating in debt and cannot afford to subsidize dozens of German princes in exile in London.

God, to think I considered marrying her. Even on her worst day, Mrs. Fitzherbert is more amicable than this shrew.

1798 - London

The new coalition was coming along nicely, thought William Pitt, the First Lord of the Treasury. Charles Fox, whom had complained constantly in Parliament about the failure of his peace plan in 1795 inquired how it was possible that Great Britain, the founder of Parliamentary Democracy, was fighting to suppress the only other modernizing government in Europe, Britain's allies including Russia, Austria and other dictatorships. He proclaimed Pitt an Absolutist Tory and that he was sacrificing the "common man's" taxes to support such loathsome allies.

However, the idiot Fox had long since discredited himself with his antics. In the long term, Fox's only accomplishments had been more peaceful relations with America and the pseudo-conquest of the French Caribbean.

Yes, it appeared that Spain was now in France's orbit, the Swiss Cantons, the Austrian Netherlands, the Dutch Republic and parts of Northern Italy either conquered or allied. Reportedly, France was demanding that Spain declare war on Britain and help them invade Britain's old ally of Portugal.

Pitt doubted this would matter much in the long term. After the first Coalition had fallen apart due to infighting, Pitt spent three years preparing for the second. Austria, Russia, Britain and others were preparing to finish the French Republic once and for all.

Fox could screech all he wanted. The war would be over by 1800 and the old Regime restored. Pitt could then take his time in publicly discrediting Fox for his support for the French regime and destroy his faction once and for all. He already had Burke writing speeches to that effect.

Now, if only Pitt could so easily undo the damage of that Fox had done politically and militarily. Seeing the military as a threat, Fox had allowed the Royal Navy and the army to weaken. Oh, the Royal Navy still ruled the waves but not by the margin it should. Fortunately, the French Navy had been immolated by the Great Terror, hundreds of senior officers murdered on the Guillotines. Only now was it slowly starting to rebuilt, emphasis on slowly. Britain's best contribution thus far had been financial. That hadn't been enough as Spain, Austria and Russia had been defeated. Nothing was left to show for Britain's massive expenditure.

Perhaps worse, Fox's term in office had also resulted in the stagnation of "British India". By taking command of the East India Company for the crown, Fox had created a great deal of new patronage positions for the government. He also refused to sanction expansion of direct British control. Pitt firmly believed that Britain could control half the sub-continent by now. Yet, only those lands conquered by Clive lived under the British flag (Bengal, Madras, etc). Pitt intended to change this but the war with France came first.

With his superior management of Parliament, his greater work ethic and the support of the people, Pitt would continue to outmaneuver his rival, Charles Fox. However, he must have victory in Europe.

Pitt assumed this was a given when one took into account for the massive coalition being reformed to put an end to this French Revolution.

He was wrong.

Last edited:
Wow, five posts and not one comment?

Is this an idea that has been regurgitated too many times?

My POD's are 1. A less dedicated King, 2. a more pro-French First Lord in Fox (over a decade in office after American Revolutionary War), 3. a weaker British foreign policy and military as Pitt tries to undo the damage done by Fox's years as 1st Lord.

Chapter 6:

Mrs. Fitzherbert is harping again on her prerogative as "Queen". She is also irate that I've quietly killed any thought of Catholic Emancipation. In the end, father was right. It would be a violation of my coronation oath to offer political equality!

As it was, most of the legal oppressions on Catholics have been removed. Surely that most be enough.

The War is apparently going poorly. I fell asleep when Pitt was droning on about it yesterday in my closet. I give the man an open hand on most issues (Catholic Emancipation being the most prominent), why must he seek out my council every damned day!

London

William Pitt could not comprehend how badly the war was proceeding. Granted, that idiot Fox had done nothing to prepare then nation. By the time Pitt had wrestled control of Parliament away from Fox (after the King's sporadic support had once again returned to war, rather than peace), it was too late to help the Ottoman. Some General named Bonaparte had marched from Egypt to Syria, crushing the Ottoman Army even as the French navy wiped out their Ottoman contingent in open battle. So thorough was the defeat that the Greeks rebelled (with French support) and proclaimed themselves a Republic.

When Pitt demanded that the nation should support their "Ottoman ally" (though the Ottoman had done little to nothing to fight France before), the cold First Lord was battered publicly by a wave of sympathy for the Greek plight. Charles Fox, once again in opposition, was in his element in rabble-rousing, condemning that a Christian nation should actively support the long-feared Ottoman's oppression of a fellow Christian people. Indeed, Pitt's ministry nearly fell. The First Lord was forced to back off and concentrate on his preparations to finish off the French Republic once and for all. Every thing else was secondary.

Thus as the 2nd Coalition (as history would know it) began in 1898, General Bonaparte was besieging Constantinople on behalf of his new Greek allies, French reinforcements arriving unopposed as William Pitt grit his teeth. But Parliament would not renew war until their allies were ready. This seemed to Pitt as nonsense. After all, the Royal Navy remained unrivaled even with Fox's brief 1796 to 1798 Ministry cutting off funds. Britain could easily cut off France at sea.

When War resumed in 1798, the British-subsidized allies initially performed well. Austria invaded northern Italy while and Anglo-Russian Force invaded the Dutch Republic. However, the invasion of Holland proved a fiasco both militarily and politically. Russian soldiers, for lack of transports, were left on an island off of the Netherlands for weeks, many thousands succumbing to disease. When they were removed, their transports were held in British harbors, their soldiers denied access to land. By 1800, Russia was thoroughly dissatisfied with their allies and the Czar was already preparing to return his armies home.

Worse, that Bonaparte fellow returned from his successful siege of Constantinople just in time to reinvigorate the French war against Austria in Italy. After crushing the Austrians at Marango (and Moreau successfully invading Bavaria and menacing Vienna), the Austrians were already suing for peace. In 1799, the Corsican hero was made 1st Council, much to Fox's delight.

Charles Fox derided the war itself, the wasted subsidies and the failures of the British forces. This last infuriated Pitt as Fox was the man whom weakened the British forces in the first place.

Indeed, the situation got worse in 1800 when France, ever more confident, demanded that their forced "ally" Spain help them invade Portugal. Seeing the French as unstoppable and the Coalition failing, the Spanish Prime Minister Godoy plotted with the new 1st Council for his own kingdom in Portugal in return for his aid. By the winter of 1800, 60,000 Franco-Spanish troops invaded Portugal. Few British forces were available to help as Pitt had just approved and dispatched an expedition to the Rio Plata.

In desperation, Pitt sent what he could to Portugal. It wasn't much. His majority wavered.

Last edited:
Interesting timeline, so what area does Greece consist of at this point? Do they have control of Constantinople, and the straights?

Interesting timeline, so what area does Greece consist of at this point? Do they have control of Constantinople, and the straights?

Greece probably consists of the Greece that was liberated OTL a few decades after these events, namely only the southern part of Greece as we know today and probably Thrace as Bonaparte took Constantinople for his "ally", though I haven't specified this.

I did not mention that the Bulgars, Serbs and Romanians would also likely be rebelling. That may focus Russia's attention more than France. Indeed, it may be a diplomatic coup for France as they could offer Russian access to the Med as a peace offering while Britain would be violently opposed.

It could also pit Russia against Austria in the Balkans, thus completely breaking up the alliance.

I would love to see a map, how much of the rest of the world has British ships seized, is the entire carribean British?

Chapter 6

Pitt has fallen. That was inevitable given the failures of the war. Poor, hardworking man. It wasn't his fault but the man just seems unlucky.

Fox is back. I fear that I've outgrown my old friend from the taverns. If he wants my support, he better arrange for another increase in the civil list. Hundreds of millions have been wasted on the war with little benefit. Surely, sprucing up the homesteads of the head of state is worth a million or two. The reputation of the nation is at stake!

Mrs. Fitzherbert is becoming tiresome and, I might add, quite haggard in her advancing years. I rarely seek out her bed. On the other hand, I have another son! He was born last week to my scullery maid in Windsor. Hopefully, a pension for his mother will not generate more public ill-will.

Five sons by five different mothers is something of an affront to the nation. I may have to keep this quiet.

London

Once again, George IV's unsteady hand pointed towards Fox. Pitt had suffered a vote of no confidence related to his continued defeats on the Continent. The allies had broken again, Austria humbled, Russia's forces returning to the vast land in a huff at their perceived ill-treatment by Britain and Austria.

Perhaps worse, the Franco-Spanish invasion of Portugal proceeded apace. While Lisbon was under siege, the Queen, the Infante and their retainers made the ill-advised decision to escape before the city was entirely encircled. What they had not expected was betrayal by a group of young revolutionaries whom sought to make Portugal a republic akin to France, Greece and the Dutch Republic.

Determining that the flight by sea to be too hazardous, they trekked north to the still-independent city of Porto. Unfortunately, the French ambush resulted in the Royal Family's capture. Most expected the war to be negotiated right then and there. Perhaps a large indemnity would be exacted, some border areas given to Spain and, of course, an occupational army would ensure Portugal broke her alliance with Britain. However, the Royal Family of Portugal was sent into comfortable imprisonment in Spain while the Franco-Spanish army occupied most of the nation.

Britain's political classes were apoplectic. Portugal was a primary trade partner and, more importantly, a safe harbor for the Royal Navy in a world with precious few of them. French power now ran from northwestern Germany all the way to northern Italy. If anything, the Revolution appeared to be expanding under 1st Council Bonaparte.

The British forces were in a state of chaos. After their defeat in the Dutch Republic, Pitt's focus turned to Denmark, which had attempted to stay neutral. However, Bonaparte was steadily encroaching upon Denmark's borders and openly eyed their fine harbors, strategic location and moderately strong fleet. While the French Navy had been torn apart in the Great Terror, it was slowly rebuilding with the help of their Spanish and Dutch allies. If Bonaparte were to force the Danes into alliance as well, perhaps Great Britain's dominance at sea would no long be so unquestioned.

Pitt had ordered the preparation of a huge fleet of warships (escorting a 30,000 many army of "reinforcements") to sail within the month for Denmark when it was discovered that Portugal was, indeed, falling. Of two minds, Pitt hesitated before cancelling the Danish expedition and ordering the warships to Portugal to aid their ancient allies (unaware that the Queen was already a prisoner). By the time the advance forces under Admiral Nelson reached Lisbon, the French were in full occupation. The Portuguese fleet was no where to be found. A passing fisherman was interrogated and it was learned that the Portuguese fleet had first sailed to Porto. At once, Nelson sailed for Porto only to learn that the fleet had been surrendered and sailed for France.

Seeing little recourse, Nelson sailed for home, intercepting the lumbering British transports along the way. By the time they reached England, it was common knowledge that Denmark had buckled under to the French and formed an alliance.

The entire year consisted to a failed campaign in the Netherlands, the loss of Britain's oldest ally in Portugal and the defection of the Danes (as Pitt knew must eventually happen).

His majority shattered due to the year's disappointments, Pitt tried one last time to recover some standing. He ordered much of the fleet back to Denmark (without the soldiers as he expected the French to have garrisoned Denmark by the time they arrived) in hopes to destroying the Danish fleet in harbor.

Admiral Nelson was dispatched to Brazil with exaggerated accounts of Portugal's "Rape" by the French in hopes of turning the Portuguese colony against the French and force them into alliance with Britain. Only later was it revealed that Pitt's fabrications were significantly UNDERSTATED as no one really believed the Portugal would be divided casually between France and Spain.

Parker's force of 20 ships found the Danish Fleet ready...as well as six French ships and four Dutch. Well protected by Copenhagen fortifications and floating artillery, the old Admiral fought a desultory battle before retreating to Britain.

Pitt's ministry fell upon the news of this loss. Only months after the fact was the general Brazilian approval of their new British "alliance" revealed, too late to save Pitt. Exhausted, the former First Lord retreated to the country, desperately needing a break.

By the fall of 1801, Charles Fox, improbably, was back in command. He immediately sought out peace terms with the French. By 1802, the armistice was formally signed into a peace treaty (Amiens). Britain would retain "protection" of Brazil and San Domingue (which also included Santo Domingo, the Spanish colony) while Guadeloupe and Martinique were turned over to the French (as were some minor Dutch islands). The threatened British conquest of Spanish and Danish islands never came to fruition.

As the Portuguese monarchy was not returned to their throne, Britain refused to hand over Brazil, which Britain had spent the past year "reinforcing". Many of these "reinforcements" were the defeated British expedition to Rio Plata. Indeed, many Brazilians, tired of Portuguese restrictions on trade, enjoyed access to the rich British Empire's markets and manufacturing goods. Protected by the Royal Navy, Britain was able to quietly grow their influence in Brazil in peace. The United States, whose government had been fighting an undeclared "Quasi-War" for years with France, tied itself closer to Britain. The Americas prospered the next few years.

However, storm clouds emerged as it became clear that Fox would demand that the Brazilian slave trade, by a wide margin the largest in the Americas, be curtailed. Over the past years, Fox had banned the slave trade to British colonies. Both Fox and Pitt had regularly harassed or completely cut off French (and later Spanish) slave trade out of military necessity. Already outraged that San Dominque had been effectively annexed to the British Empire, British West Indian planters was aghast that the vast sugar plantations of Brazil were similarly now their competition. They demanded that the slave trade be cut off so Brazil would not have yet another advantage over them.

This brought considerable irritation to the Brazilian planter class but it hardly mattered. Some mentioned that the French 1st Council had officially reestablished slavery in the French West Indies, however France did officially ban the slave TRADE. There seemed to be little recourse given the two great powers were of one mind on the matter. America was similarly expected to ban the slave trade. Denmark had over a decade prior. With the brutal casualty rate of Brazilian slaves unabated, the population suffered as both Portuguese and African immigrants were cut off from the Portuguese colony. Within 10 years, the population of slaves had dropped 30% and the population of whites by 3% (mainly due to disease or Portuguese returning home to Portugal).

Peace descended upon Europe for the first time in over a decade.

Last edited:
Chapter 7

I don't know what to feel about this new "Emperor". Mr. Fox states that General, no, EMPEROR, Napoleon will seek out peace. Yes, the House of Bourbon had fallen but haven't they always been Britain's enemies?

Perhaps this will be a good thing.

Mrs. Fitzherbert has left Windsor and returned to her estates.

My brothers are all asking why I haven't married. I dare not admit why. Frederick barely touched his wife and has no legitimate issue. I've told the others to start breeding.

Thus far, only Edward had married (only after father died). Poor Edward had been exiled to various hellholes. Unfortunately, Edward married cousin Caroline, the miserable bitch. After the birth of little Eddie (now fourth in line for the throne), at least the succession seemed assured. My brother moved out almost the day after his son was born. Three of my sisters have married now that father and mother could not keep them prisoner.

However, my money is on William. Young and healthy, he is planning on marrying as soon as he finds a suitable princess. With me...somewhat held by my ill-advised contract with Mrs. Fitzherbert and Frederick's failure to lay with his wife, William is next in line before Edward and little Eddie.

Sometimes I feel I should have married some German shrew as well. But I just couldn't stand the idea.

Marriage to someone like Caroline would be a hell on earth. That God Edward took that bullet.

Whether the throne was inherited by William's son or Edward's, the House of Hanover would continue.

1804 - May

Paris

The British envoy looked on in astonishment as the Corsican put the crown upon his own head. The French Republic was dead and the most unlikely new monarch was Emperor of the French.

The Russian envoy, oddly, was almost satisfied. While the fall of a dynasty could hardly be encouraged, at least its replacement with a new king would herald the death of this new republican spirit. An ogre Bonaparte may be but the man was not inherently a threat to the crown heads of Europe.

Austria's envoy gazed on in anger. That crown was meant for the grandson of the Austrian Emperor. Not this damned Corsican.

Spain's envoy was indifferent. He just wanted peace. The Portuguese were rebelling again. Had the King's Prime Minister not anticipated forming his own Kingdom from one of the pieces, Spain might have pulled out two years ago deeming Portugal not worth the cost to control.

For the moment, though, the peace held.

Taking the Iron Crown of Lombardy as his own was the last straw for the Austrians. The Holy Roman Empire could not countinence such an affront. Austria declared war upon France once again. However, Prussia, Russia and Britain were not exactly rushing to support them. Russia and Britain had been at one another's throats for years, especially given the Russian virtual conquest of the Black Sea.

Emperor Napoleon played his cards well. After conquering Constantinople for the Greek Republic, he offered Russia free access to the Straights, something Britain had opposed for over a century. Russia pushed the Turks out of the lands of the Romainians, the Bulgars, the Serbs, making the Austrians most uncomfortable. The weakly held French conquests of Syria and Egypt were pointedly ordered to treat all Orthodox Christians well. Emperor Napoleon also quietly offered to stay silent should the Czar decide to enter Anatolia.

Russia had been angered at the British assault on Denmark, correctly seeing this as an attempt for British hegemony, not any particular assistance to the 2nd Coalition. Viewing the British as money men and opportunists, the relationship faltered just as Austro-Russian relations collapsed as Russian troops entered the Balkans to "free fellow Christians".

Prussia was disinterested, thus leaving Austria on its own.

Even Britain, under Charles Fox, declined to support Austria. Fox had spent years diplomatically enticing the French towards peace. For the most part, it worked. Emperor Napoleon cancelled any plans to invade England (the Admiralty laughed at the very idea) and trade resumed, France becoming, once again, a fine customer for British goods. The two nations jointly hounded the last remnants of the African slave trade, mainly Spanish by this point. The King of Spain was easily enough cowed to copy the Franco-British ban on the trade. Smuggling abounded but the trade seemed to be dying. The Duc D'Enghen was spared at the pleas of Britain and Russia. Kidnapped from the Empire (enraging Austria), the Duc was released as a sign of good faith on Napoleon's part to his new friends. Gifts were exchanged between powers.

However, the French aggression continued as the Swiss Cantons and Northern Italy were officially brought under Napoleon's spell.

That was enough for the Austrians. Russia and Prussia declined to follow while Britain entered another political crisis.

The annihilation of the Austrians at Austerlitz ended the war almost as soon as it began. By the end of 1805, the Emperor was officially wiping the Holy Roman Empire from the map.

Fox was thrown from office for his repeated declarations of Bonaparte's good will. By the time Britain declared war under the rejuvenated Pitt, it was too late to save Austria. Huge swathes of the Holy Roman Empire was cut up and distributed to Bonapartist and Bonapartist-allied regimes.

Last edited:
Will have to have conquered both sides of the straights to give that offer to the Russians. Will be a tough call to manage taking Constantinople and the straights and holding it. Transfers of populations of Muslim and Orthodox Greeks will come in time under those conditions. Still seems to be dictating the new Greek nations foreign policy, hard to see that he will have enough troops in that area to accomplish all of this over more than a year or two. Russia's desire to own Constantinople is going to be in direct conflict with this new Greek Republic, I see much conflict in the future between the two. Greece will look for allies, France looks likely to be rejected in favour of the British if they stint on their support of Greece in favour of Russia.

I agree that France can't control Greece on its own if they were facing both Britain and Russia, even if the Greeks support France.

They need to keep Russia or Britain neutral or busy elsewhere.

Russia may be able to conquer Constantinople and most of Greece if they wanted to given their manpower advantages. France would have to play them against one another to keep one from conquering the area.