Diaries of the Doofus King - A King George IV Timeline (1783 to 1830)

James Polk approves. Why is Quebec so small though? I would think the Québécois would be pissed that they didn't receive most of Lower Canada.

James Polk approves. Why is Quebec so small though? I would think the Québécois would be pissed that they didn't receive most of Lower Canada.

Québécois population is so low compared to the United States in OTL. They wouldn't even have been able to colonise the Lower Canada region if they tried. Too many Anglophones dominating.

I think I more or less gave Quebec what the accepted populated borders of Quebec were in 1812. I don't think what we know as "northern Quebec" was considered integral to the province by that point, most of the northern territories were still unorganized. I did give them a bit of New Brunswick, which would probably carry more population than anything they'd lost.

Chapter 37

Lord Grenville believes that he has a majority in the Commons to make me King.

King George V

The Whigs believe that they can put my brother's bastard on the throne. Not a chance in hell. Frederick is now King. By the way his Doctors speak, I will be soon enough.

The Duke of Cumberland

September, 1813

London

Lord William Grenville, First Lord of the Treasury, was not even remotely comfortable with his actions though his public demeanor bespoke of calm confidence. In truth, the letter of the Act of Succession precluded the late King's legitimate son from the throne based upon his mother's Catholic beliefs at the time of his birth. The Whigs believed that Parliament had the right to interpret this law as they saw fit. Parliament put the Hanoverian Kings on the throne. They could give it to their preferred candidate in such a...vague...circumstance.

Grenville knew damned well that the Duke of Cumberland would likely soon inherit his brother the badly wounded Duke of York's claim to the throne soon enough. Even if the Duke of York did survive, his brother would probably serve as his Regent. There was simply no way in hell that Cumberland would allow the Whig government to stand.

Without delay, Grenville pushed through a resolution in the House of Commons that "clarified" certain parts of the Act of Succession to allow for George Fitzherbert to be eligible for the throne. By an incredibly close vote, the Whigs won the day. However, the House of Lords utterly refused to even discuss the matter, Grenville's allies being shouted down in the Tory-dominated house.

Still, Grenville realized there was no time to lose. He immediately arranged for the "Prince of Wales" to ride to Westminster for coronation. The Archbishop of Canterbury was taken utterly by surprise. A devout man whom rarely meddled in politics, the Archbishop still could not countenance such an appalling act under confused circumstances and steadfastly refused to follow through with the ceremony. Fortunately, Grenville had a backup plan. A strongly Whiggish clergyman performed the coronation in the Archbishop's stead even as the astounded man looked on.

On September 10th, 1813, George Fitzherbert was crowned George V of Great Britain (and Ireland) despite heavy doubts of his eligibility in the Commons, steadfast opposition in the Lords and the patent refusal to participate by the head of the Church.

There was also the small problem that, only weeks prior, George IV had accepted his brother the Duke of York's resignation as commander-of-the-forces.

His replacement?

The Duke of Cumberland.

Would be nice for an ATL heir to the Jacobite pretense to have a meeting with the Emperor right about now

There's probably no way they'd make one of George IV's sisters go ahead ont he basis of being born before Cumberland, is there? I guess it might be tried without George V there, but there isn't need for it anyway.

Could he marry quickly (no, I don't mean to one of George IV's sisters/his aunts - what do you take him for, a Hapsburg?:) - plus they're too old to have kids anyway, it seems) and try to have a child, thus allowing that child, born of Protestant parents, to be king, with George V stepping won to be regent?

Of course, a pregancy could be years down the line if he did.

There's probably no way they'd make one of George IV's sisters go ahead ont he basis of being born before Cumberland, is there? I guess it might be tried without George V there, but there isn't need for it anyway.

Could he marry quickly (no, I don't mean to one of George IV's sisters/his aunts - what do you take him for, a Hapsburg?:) - plus they're too old to have kids anyway, it seems) and try to have a child, thus allowing that child, born of Protestant parents, to be king, with George V stepping won to be regent?

Of course, a pregancy could be years down the line if he did.

There are still two more brothers after Cumberland (Sussex and Cambridge). For the moment, it is York/Cumberland versus George V.

Chapter 38

Mother believes that I must win my throne by the sword. It appears my uncles are in agreement.

George V of Great Britain and Ireland

I'm going to wipe that little shit from the face of the earth.

The Duke of Cumberland.

October, 1813

Wood Green

Almost as soon as it began, the First Lord regretted his actions. Hoping that the nation would accept George V on the throne as a fait accompli, Grenville had ordered the new King crowned. With control of the local London militia, the Whig Prime Minister believed that the Dukes of York and Cumberland could do nothing, especially the Duke of York whom remained crippled and his life in the balance.

Unfortunately, the Duke of Cumberland's control of the army was more extensive than assumed. The House of Lords remained largely in his corner as was much of the House of Commons. Many of the Old Guard in the army was hell-bent against this new bastard son of a Catholic on the British throne and threw in with Cumberland twenty miles north of London. Regiment after regiment was called from their barracks. Some joined the Whig forces assembling in London, others the Tories gathered by the Duke. Many flatly refused to leave their respective barracks until sanity prevailed.

By late October, two contending armies had taken the field as the astounded British populace looked on in horror. In a wily move, the Duke of Cumberland stole a march on his nephew's forces and sent his brother, the Duke of York, to Canterbury to be properly crowned King of Great Britain and Ireland. Still devastatingly wounded, the King's hard carriage journey under cover of darkness to Kent (the county still very much in chaos) opened several of his wounds. Still, the Duke managed to take the Oath and the Archbishop of Canterbury hestitantly crowned him King. Immediately, the "King" rode for the safety of friendly lines.

On October 31st, the two armies met at Wood Green, in the northern outskirts of London. In truth, no one knew exactly how many regulars and militia met that day. Best estimates remain guesses but 30,000 total was the generally accepted figure, including about 20,000. The entire battle as a confused affair as few actually believed a true battle would take place. Sure of the rightness of their cause, George V and the Duke of Cumberland expected the opposing forces to collapse on sight of the rightful ruler (The Duke representing King Frederick I of Britain).

When the two forces blundered into one another, it was quite common for officers to look upon the other field and see friends and family battling for the other side. One particularly close advisor to George V, General Arthur Wellesley swore he saw his brother-in-law Edward Pakenham serving in the ranks of the Duke.

For several hours, the two sides circled before crushing into one another at Wood Green. In many cases, despite dire threats from their officers, British soldiers refused to fire upon their own. The armies hastily assembled, very little cohesion was possible. Finally, Wellesley managed to turn the Cumberland army's flank and crash his regulars and militia into their rear. Within minutes, the Duke's entire army collapsed, fleeing northwards. Attempting to turn the tide, the Duke of Cumberland rode forward to stay the flight. A sharpshooter promptly buried a bullet into his abdomen. Cumberland's aides grasped his reigns and dragged the protesting Duke from the battle.

However, the forces of George V would not celebrate that night. Eager to make his mark upon history as his mother suggested, the young King was encouraging his troops when a cannonball caromed off a tree and beheaded him in the final moments of the battle.

Chapter 39

My vision is fading. My doctors fear that I have lost too much blood. Even I can smell the infection. I'm told that my brother won the day at Wood Green and my nephew is dead. If we won the day, why are they talking about gathering up my fleeing army.

Where is my brother anyway? I must speak to him.

Frederick I of Great Britain

London

Lord Grenville was in a state of panic. George V, upon whom the entire Whig Hierarchy had based their futures, was dead. That Cumberland's army was in full retreat was no longer relevant. Grenville tried desperately to think of a way out of this predicament.

As luck would have it, Grenville would be saved by fate, if one could deem infection fate.

The Midlands

Bending over in agony, the Duke of Cumberland wounded body shook with sobs as he received the news of his brother's death. The bouncing trip to Canterbury had apparently reopened many of Frederick's wounds. Once thought to be recovering, Frederick died on November 7th, only a week after the pivotal battle that would ensure the claim of the legitimate heirs to the British throne.

The Duke (no, realized, the KING) feared for his own life as well. Belly wounds tended to infect and Ernest knew his posterity was on the line. He summoned the Archbishop of Canterbury (whom had been forced to retreat from Kent) and ordered the man to give him the Coronation Oath upon his sickbed. Ernest I of Great Britain did not know if there were any legalities against this but decided to ensure his Oath be on record.

On November 9th, King Ernest lapsed into delirium, ending his efforts to gather up his defeated armies. On November 14th, the King died of sepsis.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Okay, so a couple one week or so reigns; someone mentioned the Roman Empire before, I think, but even in their worst days I don't think they ever had anything like this! Great job!