Cesare Borgia: A Restored Rome Timeline

Cesare Borgia Part 42: Tensions of the Romans

'...Marcus, we have been on friendly trading deal terms, and yet there has not been a single month you haven’t tested its strength…' Charles V Hapsburg, 1522, furiously debating Marcus over the Merchant Incident of 1522.

Frederick, the former King of Naples, and honourary ‘Liberator of the Dacians’, or ‘Libertatis Daciae’ had now passed at a grand old age of 70. The man had been with Cesare to the bitter end, and loyal no matter the cost. After his Kingdom was divided between the French and Spanish, and he had then worked with Cesare to gain back his honour, he had been granted the duchy of Apulia for his services, and given generalship of the new Italian army. He had then worked in Ravenna, building the new bastions, before soon marching off to aid Marcus’s kingdom in its war against the Ottomans. He then comforted Marcus after his death, however he was soon recalled to take on Transylvania against John with the Wallachians and Moldavians, to break from Ottoman control. In the end, he crushed the rebellion of the Hungarian nobles, and returned to Dacia a legend. He eventually retired there, and spent his last few years spending his vast fortunes on the structures of Bucharest. He was finally buried there in a grand funeral, with all of the Imperial glory he deserved.

Meanwhile, in Italy, there had been sea changes after the defeat of Attila. Venice, twice defeated, twice humiliated, was then reduced in value as Ravenna began to take centre stage. While not many direct offenses were made on the citizens of Venice, many of the rebellion leaders were executed, few without trial, however this didn’t mostly affect the regular citizens.

Tension was brewing however. Increased raids were done, and eventually it was discovered that one of them was by a boat from the Spanish port of Caliguari.

Fear ran high among the western Mediterranean traders, who soon showed their objection to war, knowing it would damage their profits. For several months, several minor events, such as ships disappearing or sailors dying mysteriously led to further escalation, and only the quick responses between Charles and Marcus prevented a full on conflict.

‘...Marcus, we have been on friendly trading deal terms, and yet there has not been a single month you haven’t tested its strength…’

‘...If a ship from my shores had raided my seas, would you not have been annoyed?’

‘...the world around us seeks to bring us down. For now we control the centre of Europe, its heartland… We must not fight, for the opponents would pick us off. The Germans in the north almost certainly wish to overthrow me...’

‘...How do you expect this to be resolved? We need to start to figure out on what happened with those ships… The Tyrennean fleet can patrol the seas for information from the merchants.'

‘...I wholeheartedly agree. Please, if there is an incident, I do sen my sincerest apologies.’

Finally, Charles also launched an investigation, with both Roman and Spanish ships plying the coast.

The results were to be resolved soon, changing the shape of the Mediterranean forever.

Map of the Western Mediterranean:
Q382gWt.png

Hope everyone enjoyed! Had to cut this short as I headed off. I’ll put a map in to extend this one. Also hope you guys like the quick fire messages I put to simply the conversation.

Thanks for reading!

-Josh

Last edited:
Fifty bucks it's the Ottomans

Hate to be mean, and I hope I'm not but:

1. How the hell could a ship supposedly from Spanish shores possibly be confused with being from Turkish? Especially considering the fact they only have coastline on either the Aegean/Adriatic seas?

2. Last time kind of hinted on who it was from.

3. The Ottomans are currently rebuilding/reorganising under Suleiman. They aren't exactly primed to start conflict.

It's most likely France,but honestly speaking,even if the Turks are rebuilding,getting Spain and Italy to fight a war would be a great way of weakening both of them without the OE getting involved.

Okay,it's entirely possible that it's just done by random pirate gangs rather than by any particular country.Pirates have always openly sailed into a country's port and behaved normally there while dropping the act once they left a country's port.

Hate to be mean, and I hope I'm not but:

1. How the hell could a ship supposedly from Spanish shores possibly be confused with being from Turkish? Especially considering the fact they only have coastline on either the Aegean/Adriatic seas?

2. Last time kind of hinted on who it was from.

3. The Ottomans are currently rebuilding/reorganising under Suleiman. They aren't exactly primed to start conflict.
What could-
Wait. That's it!
SUNSET INVASION!

Last edited:
Okay, you might want to tone down the patronizing, we can neither mind readers nor are we detectives to solve the puzzle you've laid out. Discussing speculations is one of the enjoyable things to engage in on a forum.

Ok, Sceonn, I'm sorry. I thought:

1. It was jokey, but I guess on further reflection it was a bit too harsh

2. I've never been great at hiding secrets/masterfully plotting when it comes to that. I just guessed I was still that bad.
Eh, Pope Francis is alright.

What could-
Wait. That's it!
SUNSET INVASION!

Also, WE NEED AZTECS VS PAPACY

Who is most hurt by Spanish-Austrian-Borgian Entente?

France.

Not saying they did it, but they would like this.

The Cagliari Incident

"Tension was brewing however. Increased raids were done, and soon it was discovered that one of them was by a boat from the Spanish port of Caliguari. Fear ran high among the western Mediterranean traders, who soon showed their objection to war, knowing it would damage their profits. For several months, several minor events, such as ships disappearing or sailors dying mysteriously led to further escalation, and only the quick responses between Charles and Marcus prevented a full on conflict."

Italy's opinion of Habsburgs- -100

Casus Belli gained- Trade Dispute (for 10 years)

I really like this update! Intrigue and sabotage abound. Just as a style suggestion, you use the word "soon" a great deal on this update, with six instances in the first paragraph alone. That's probably because, like you said, you were rushing. If you were to cut uses of "soon" where it isn't needed and maybe replace some uses with synonyms, I think the update would read quite a bit more smoothly.

I really like this update! Intrigue and sabotage abound. Just as a style suggestion, you use the word "soon" a great deal on this update, with six instances in the first paragraph alone. That's probably because, like you said, you were rushing. If you were to cut uses of "soon" where it isn't needed and maybe replace some uses with synonyms, I think the update would read quite a bit more smoothly.

I'll do that now. Thank you very much for that that though! I'm kinda surprised that everyone likes it so much. Also sorry but I thought you were darthfanta for a second.

Edit: Fixed that now.

Cesare Borgia Part 43: The Truth of the Corsican Ships

'May those damn Corsican Raiders be crushed by Roman Cannon, for I have only shot to grant them' Marcus Borgia-Palaiologos, 1522, discussing the Tunisian raiders with Charles von Hapsburg.

The Military colleges were now underway, with officers and generals slowly being moved towards the areas as they were constructed.

The results of the findings, showed that the vessel was supposedly from the regions nearby, the only place of which being Corsica.

Francis I immediately denied claims, so it was further investigated, and it turns out that there was a hiding den, not associated with the French in Corsica. Further evidence shows that it was indeed barbary pirates, associated with Islam, something certainly not practiced by the French, and the most important information, a set of reports and orders from the Hafsids.

This led to higher tensions across the Mediterranean, with all of the merchants fearing loss of profits due to all out war. Yet, there remained an eerie silence. Many had expected immediate war, however Marcus was still hesitant. He, while wanting glory, did not wish to rush head on back into combat. He soon was able to calm the French down, and give them small bribes so they would turn a blind eye. The many states of north Africa were involved in rapid wars, and thus were most likely to ignore the Roman threat.

Marcus and Charles soon began to talk to each other again, both of them relieved from the Corsican ship incident. They now trusted each other once again, and after continuing to agree to help Charles debt, he agreed to not intervene, and in fact help with naval support in Africa.

...'I am glad I still had faith in you Charles. This was far too close for my liking'...

...'Similar feelings here. We must deal with the situation in Africa however. That cannot be good for either of us'...

...'I propose an invasion force, with our navy taking Tunis, and thus cutting the head off the Sultanate'...

...'If you are to take that Kingdom, and in which you grant my merchants access to its ports as well as help me fund my debts, your navy shall have my armada's support.'

This would arguably be the most successful objective Marcus ever accomplished, taking back Africa.

Picture of the so called ‘Corsican Raiders’:
1e63d7cb9672f91bd2f6db6c41fdad1e.jpg

Hope everyone enjoyed! This should be the last peacetime update, with this starting the invasion of Africa.

Thanks for reading!

-Josh

Last edited:
Quite uncharacteristic of Barbary pirates.Why are they even pretending to be Spanish?It's already well known that they are pirates.