TUGS (1988-1991)
While Allcroft worked on the distribution of Thomas in the US, David Mitton and Robert Cordona worked on a series of their own. Mainly focused on VHS releases, this series was known as TUGS.

I was going to have it be a bit more detailed, but wasn't interested enough. So here's the details:
  • Clearwater manages to escape bankruptcy and works with Viz Media to bring the show to the States via VHS.
  • The original show is released in the US in the late 1990s on VHS, replacing Sally's Lighthouse.
  • Season 1 gets 12 more episodes.
  • Season 2 focuses on the Bigg City Port during the Great Depression. This season is considered a major improvement over the already great season 1. As for one thing, humans are also featured. Mainly as wooden figures like in Thomas. But more importantly, Hercules get far more screen time and development.
  • Season Three focuses on the Bigg City during the Second World War. With such plots as a Luftwaffe air raid on the ports and how the Tugs of both teams helped. As well as the subsequent arrival of the US Army. Among those who are sadly killed in the war are Izzy Gomez (sacrificed himself to save Sunshine from the Luftwaffe), Bluenose (bombed in air raid), and Lord Stinker (also destroyed in air raid, when he was used as a makeshift carrier of munitions).
  • Season 4 is the ultimate series finale as during the immediate postwar era. All loose ends are tied up. Including Starr and Zero's tugs burying their hatchets. As they look forward to a newer future for them.

While Allcroft worked on the distribution of Thomas in the US, David Mitton and Robert Cordona worked on a series of their own. Mainly focused on VHS releases, this series was known as TUGS.

I was going to have it be a bit more detailed, but wasn't interested enough. So here's the details:
  • Clearwater manages to escape bankruptcy and works with Viz Media to bring the show to the States via VHS.
  • The original show is released in the US in the late 1990s on VHS, replacing Sally's Lighthouse.
  • Season 2 focuses on the Bigg City Port during the Great Depression. This season is considered a major improvement over the already great season 1. As for one thing, humans are also featured. Mainly as wooden figures like in Thomas. But more importantly, Hercules get far more screen time and development.
  • Season Three focuses on the Bigg City during the Second World War. With such plots as a Luftwaffe air raid on the ports and how the Tugs of both teams helped. As well as the subsequent arrival of the US Army. Among those who are sadly killed in the war are Izzy Gomez (sacrificed himself to save Sunshine from the Luftwaffe), Bluenose (bombed in air raid), and Lord Stinker (also destroyed in air raid, when he was used as a makeshift carrier of munitions).
  • Season 4 is the ultimate series finale as during the immediate postwar era. All loose ends are tied up. Including Starr and Zero's tugs burying their hatchets. As they look forward to a newer future for them.

Even for Tugs standard that strikes me as far too dark a storyline.

Paint Pot and Queens aired in Season 04 instead of Season 01
In real life yes, but @BigVic , Thomas & Friends in Andrew's timeline has 30 episodes per season instead of 26. With the expanded seasons, a few episodes from the later seasons had to be place in Season 1. These episodes would include Henry and the Elephant from Season 4 (moved to be the 15th episode in Season 1 in Andrew's timeline), The Trouble With Mud from Season 3 (moved to be the 26th episode in Season 1 and keeping its original Railway Series name Leaves) and Paint Pots and Queens from Season 4 as I mentioned above (moved to be the 28th episode in Season 1).

In addition, the Railway Series story Mrs. Kindley's Christmas from the book Toby the Tram Engine gets adapted into the show unlike real life (in real life, a flashback scene featuring a portion of the story is uses in the real life episode Thomas' Christmas Party).

@JCC the Alt Historian

Thoughts on my ideas so far?
You gave me some info about Season 3 yesterday, but it looks like you deleted the message. However, here's what I remember what you said as well as a few ideas and questions of my own.

Adapting the stories about the Arlesdale Railway engines from the Railway Series book Small Railway Engines. Introducing Mike, Rex and Bert into the series much earlier than in reality? Nice!:biggrin:

Adapting the Skarloey Railway stories a season earlier than in real life? Sounds interesting! :) However, I assume it's only the first six engines (Skarloey, Rheneas, Sir Handel Peter Sam, Rusty and Duncan), right? I guess Duke's saga will wait until Season 4 like in real life. I also assume that the engines will have their real life TV series colors to distinguish them from each other, right?

Super Rescue from the Railway Series book Enterprising Engines getting adapted? Awesome!:love: :cool:Double awesome for having D199 and D7101 (Bear) introduced into the series!

If the Flying Scotsman gets his model made for Tender Engines (or Tenders for Henry), I wonder if his faces will just be modified version of his brother Gordon's or if they will be completely different.

Do you think that the episode Escape will be a single episode like it is in real life or will it be split up into two different episodes (Escape and Little Western)?:confused: I wonder if the "Ass-faced"x'D (face on back) diesel will appear. If he does, I guess Diesel's model can be brought out of storage, given black and yellow hazard stripes on the back with a new face added.

Will the episode Oliver Owns up have it's TV series name or will it be called by its original name Resource and Sagacity? Toad Stands By will probably be adapted for Season 3 instead of the following season, right?

I assume Gordon Goes Foreign will be adapted for Season 3. Big City Engine will be introduced either as an original model or just Henry's repainted with a new face and added smoke deflectors. If the latter is the case, the model will be turned back into Henry by Season 4.

Will Michael Angelis take over for the British narrations and George Carlin for the American ones in Season 3 or is Ringo Star gonna stay around for one more season?

Adapting the Skarloey Railway stories a season earlier than in real life? Sounds interesting! :) However, I assume it's only the first six engines (Skarloey, Rheneas, Sir Handel Peter Sam, Rusty and Duncan), right? I guess Duke's saga will wait until Season 4 like in real life. I also assume that the engines will have their real life TV series colors to distinguish them from each other, right?
Fact is Skarloey, Peter Sam, and Rheneas are the only ones in Season 3. Rusty, Duncan, and Rheneas join in TTL's S4 and Duke (plus No. 2/Stanley) in S5.
Do you think that the episode Escape will be a single episode like it is in real life or will it be split up into two different episodes (Escape and Little Western)?:confused: I wonder if the "Ass-faced"x'D (face on back) diesel will appear. If he does, I guess Diesel's model can be brought out of storage, given black and yellow hazard stripes on the back with a new face added.
I had the idea Bear's second chance comes at the end of Super Rescue, with Escape largely being the same as OTL. Meanwhile "Assface" will likely just be Mavis' backside with a truck's face attached to it.
Will the episode Oliver Owns up have it's TV series name or will it be called by its original name Resource and Sagacity? Toad Stands By will probably be adapted for Season 3 instead of the following season, right?
Both stories will still come in S3 and be the same as OTL.
Will Michael Angelis take over for the British narrations and George Carlin for the American ones in Season 3 or is Ringo Star gonna stay around for one more season?
Yes, Michael takes over.

Fact is Skarloey, Peter Sam, and Rheneas are the only ones in Season 3. Rusty, Duncan, and Rheneas join in TTL's S4 and Duke (plus No. 2/Stanley) in S5.
Uh, Andrew, you mentioned Rheneas twice. I'm pretty sure you mean that the first four Skarloey Railway engines (Skarloey, Rheneas, Sir Handel and Peter Sam) will appear in Season 3.

I know that Rheneas will be sent off to the works right after he debuts and Skarloey will follow shortly afterwards. I assume that Season 3 will adapt the four stories from the Railway Series book Four Little Engines, right? I also assume that Season 4 will adapt the stories from the books The Little Old Engine and Gallant Old Engine while Season 5 will adapt the stories from Duke the Lost Engine.

Uh, Andrew, you mentioned Rheneas twice. I'm pretty sure you mean that the first four Skarloey Railway engines (Skarloey, Rheneas, Sir Handel and Peter Sam) will appear in Season 3.

I know that Rheneas will be sent off to the works right after he debuts and Skarloey will follow shortly afterwards. I assume that Season 3 will adapt the four stories from the Railway Series book Four Little Engines, right? I also assume that Season 4 will adapt the stories from the books The Little Old Engine and Gallant Old Engine while Season 5 will adapt the stories from Duke the Lost Engine.
I meant to say that S3 will introduce only Skarley, Sir Handel, and Peter Sam. With Rheneas being teased through that season until his eventual return the following season. Additionally, my TL's Season 4 adapts Very Old Engines' first three stories, with Ducks and Dukes being how they start the Duke story arc in season 5.

I meant to say that S3 will introduce only Skarley, Sir Handel, and Peter Sam. With Rheneas being teased through that season until his eventual return the following season. Additionally, my TL's Season 4 adapts Very Old Engines' first three stories, with Ducks and Dukes being how they start the Duke story arc in season 5.
Alright Andrew, thanks for clearing the mistake up with me.

Your plans for Thomas' sister show Tugs look interesting. I do have a question though. Although Tugs will be released onto VHS in the US (thank God Salty's Lighthouse won't exist in this timeline), will it ever air on normal TV like Thomas did on PBS?

I do have a interesting idea if I may add. If Izzy Gomez gets destroyed, you should have that as one of the reasons why Mexico declared war on Germany (in real life, this happened after Germany sunk two Mexican oil ships).

Last edited:
@Andrew Boyd: Duke of Dank , as I have said before, I am enjoying your timeline so far. However, I did find a mistake that you made a while back while you were listing the episodes that were in Season 1. Apparently, you listed both Thomas' Train and Thomas and the Trucks as the sixth episode. Shouldn't Thomas' Train be the fifth episode? I just wanted to let you know so you can potentially fix the mistake.

Episode 4: Edward, Gordon, & Henry
After Gordon is left unable to pull the Express and Edward is too weak to do it on his own, Henry gets a chance at redemption.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 1: The Three Railway Engines

Episode 6: Thomas' Train
Thomas wants to pull his own train, but the other engines make fun of him for it. However, Thomas gets the chance to prove himself when Henry becomes ill again.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 2: Thomas the Tank Engine

Episode 6: Thomas & The Trucks
When Edward lets Thomas take his trucks, the little engine learns how difficult goods trains often are.

Episode 7: Thomas & The Breakdown Train
After a new engine comes off the line, Thomas acts quickly to clear up the mess. As such, he receives the greatest reward any engine could hope for - a line belonging all to himself.

Last edited:
  1. Thomas and Gordon
  2. Edward and Gordon
  3. The Sad Story of Henry
  4. Edward, Gordon and Henry
  5. Thomas' Train
  6. Thomas and the Trucks
  7. Thomas and the Breakdown Train
  8. James and the Coaches
  9. Troublesome Trucks
  10. James and the Express
  11. Thomas and the Guard
  12. Thomas Goes Fishing
  13. Thomas, Terence and the Snow
  14. Thomas and Bertie
  15. Tenders and Turntables
  16. Trouble in the Sheds
  17. Percy Runs Away
  18. Coal
  19. The Flying Kipper
  20. Whistles and Sneezes
  21. Toby and the Stout Gentleman
  22. Thomas in Trouble
  23. Dirty Objects
  24. Off the Rails
  25. Down the Mine
  26. Thomas' Christmas Party
The above list is the Season 1 episode list from real life. The list below is the list from this timeline. I will also list the episode list differences after that.

1. Thomas and Gordon
  2. Edward and Gordon
  3. The Sad Story of Henry
  4. Edward, Gordon and Henry
  5. Thomas' Train
  6. Thomas and the Trucks
  7. Thomas and the Breakdown Train
  8. James and the Coaches
  9. Troublesome Trucks
  10. James and the Express
  11. Thomas and the Guard
  12. Thomas Goes Fishing
  13. Thomas, Terence and the Snow
  14. Thomas and Bertie
  15. Henry and the Elephant
  16. Tenders and Turntables
  17. Trouble in the Sheds
  18. Percy Runs Away
  19. Coal
  20. The Flying Kipper
  21. Whistle and Sneezes
  22. Toby and the Stout Gentleman
  23. Thomas in Trouble
  24. Dirty Objects
  25. Off the Rails
  26. Leaves
  27. Down the Mine
  28. Paint Pots and Queens
  29. Mrs. Kindly's Christmas
  30. Thomas' Christmas Party
Differences: Along with having 30 episodes instead of 26, 3 of the episodes in real life would be adapted in later seasons while a unadapted Railway Series story (Mrs. Kindly's Christmas) would be adapted.

The three episodes that would be adapted in this timelines Season 1 include Henry and the Elephant (aired in Season 4 in real life), The Trouble With Mud from Season 3 (aired in Season 3 in real life and in this timeline kept its original Railway Series name Leaves) and Paint Pots and Queens (aired in Season 4 in real life).

Tomorrow, I am going to list the Season 2 episodes of Thomas & Friends in both real life and in this timeline as well as the differences between them.

Alright, since I did my Season 1 lists, it is now time for me to do the Season 2 lists. The first list is the episode list from the actual show.

1. Thomas, Percy and the Coal
  2. Cows
  3. Bertie's Chase
  4. Saved From Scrap
  5. Old Iron
  6. Thomas and Trevor
  7. Percy and the Signal
  8. Duck Takes Charge
  9. Percy and Harold
  10. The Runaway
  11. Percy Takes the Plunge
  12. Pop Goes the Diesel
  13. Dirty Work
  14. A Close Shave
  15. Better Late Than Never
  16. Break Van
  17. The Deputation
  18. Thomas Comes to Breakfast
  19. Daisy
  20. Percy's Predicament
  21. The Diseasel
  22. Wrong Road
  23. Edward's Exploit
  24. Ghost Train
  25. Woolly Bear
  26. Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now, here's the list of Thomas & Friends Season 2 episodes from the timeline

1. Percy and the Scarf
  2. Cows
  3. Saved from Scrap
  4. Bertie's Chase
  5. Old Iron
  6. Percy and the Signal
  7. Duck Takes Charge
  8. Percy and Harold
  9. Thomas, Percy and the Coal
  10. Double-Header
  11. Domeless Engines
  12. Pop Goes the Diesel
  13. Dirty Work
  14. A Close Shave
  15. The Runaway
  16. Drip-Tank
  17. The Missing Coach
  18. Break Van
  19. Thomas Comes to Breakfast
  20. Daisy
  21. Bull's Eye
  22. Percy's Predicament
  23. The Dieseasel
  24. Buzz, Buzz
  25. Wrong Road
  26. Edward's Exploit
  27. Ghost Train
  28. Woolly Bear
  29. The Deputation
  30. Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree
Differences: Along with having 30 episodes instead of 26, five episodes from later seasons would be adapted in this season while two unadapted Railway Series stories (Drip-Tank and The Missing Coach) would also be adapted.

The five episodes that would be adapted in this timelines Season 2 include Percy and the Scarf (aired in Season 3 in real life under the name A Scarf for Percy), Double-Header (aired in Season 3 in real life under the name Time for Trouble and in this timeline kept its original Railway Series name), Domeless Engines (aired in Season 3 in real life under the name Gordon and the Famous Visitor and in this timeline kept its original Railway Series name), Bull's Eyes (aired in Season 4 in real life) and Buzz, Buzz (aired in Season 3 in real life).

Drip-Tank is adapted as an episode in this timeline. In real life, it was never adapted despite being written SPEFICICALY for being adapted into the Tv series. The Missing Coach is actually adapted here, it was going to be in real life, but Britt Allcroft cancelled the episode halfway through production because she though the plot of the episode would be too confusing for children.

Missing episodes: Two episodes in this timelines version of Season 2 are not adapted from real life. They are Thomas and Trevor (which I assume will either not be adapted or it will be in a later season) and Percy Takes the Plunge (which in this timeline Andrew mentioned on page 1 that it will be adapted in Season 4 and will be combined with a scrapped episode idea (likely similar to the real life Season 5 episode Something in the Air) to give Henry some karma for teasing Percy about his incident.

Alright, since I mentioned I would do this today. Here are the real life and timeline Thomas & Friends Season 3 episode list.

First, the OTL list:

1. A Scarf for Percy
  2. Percy's Promise
  3. Time for Trouble
  4. Gordon and the Famous Visitor
  5. Donald's Duck
  6. Thomas Gets Bumped
  7. Thomas, Percy and the Dragon
  8. Diesel Does it Again
  9. Henry's Forest
  10. The Trouble with Mud
  11. No Joke for James
  12. Thomas, Percy and the Post Train
  13. Trust Thomas
  14. Mavis
  15. Toby's Tightrope
  16. Edward, Trevor and the Really Useful Party
  17. Buzz, Buzz
  18. All at Sea
  19. One Good Turn
  20. Tender Engines
  21. Escape
  22. Oliver Owns Up
  23. Bulgy
  24. Heroes
  25. Percy, James and the Fruitful Day
  26. Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright now for the episodes that will likely be in the timelines version of Season 3, said by Andrew or otherwise. Note, this list is not in order, just subjective.

I'll edit this tomorrow and add some more notes and ask some questions.
  1. Percy's Promise
  2. Thomas, Percy and the Dragon (Andrew told me a little while ago that this episode will likely be the only "original" left in tact from the real life episode list)
  3. Trust Thomas
  4. Mavis (with Daisy reprising her role from Tramway Engines instead of having Diesel shoved in for some reason)
  5. Toby's Tightrope
  6. Tender Engines (The Flying Scotsman will likely be a full model here unlike in real life, where the modeling crew didn't have enough money to build hid full model.)
  7. Super Rescue (Introducing D199 and D7101 (Bear)) (Mentioned in the beginning of the timeline that this story will be adapted in Season 3)
  8. Escape
  9. Donald's Duck
  10. Oliver Owns Up
  11. Toad Stand By (moved from real life Season 4)
  12. Bulgy
  13. Ballast
  14. Tit for Tat (moved from real life Season 20)
  15. Mike Whistle (moved from real life Season 20)
  16. Useful Railway (moved from real life Season 20)
  17. Skarloey Remembers (moved from real life Season 4, probably won't be combined with Old Faithful)
  18. Sir Handel (moved from real life Season 4)
  19. Peter Sam and the Refreshment Lady (moved from real life Season 4)
  20. Old Faithful (moved from real life Season 4, probably won't be combined with Old Faithful)
  21. Gordon Goes Foreign (since the story wasn't adapted in Season 2, it will probably be adapted in Season 3)
  22. Deep Freeze (confirmed to be in this timelines version of Season 3 by Andrew Boyd below)
Well @Andrew Boyd: Duke of Dank , I was only able to come up with 22 out of 30 episodes for your Season 3. Do you have anything else planned? I wonder what the remaining 8 episodes of this season will be.

Last edited:
Sorry to derail the thread @Andrew Boyd: Duke of Dank , but I have some good news to tell you!:)

It looks like Rheneas' small scale model that was used during Season's 4 & 5 of Thomas & Friends has been found and is now currently in possession of Twitter user TomsProps! :extremelyhappy: The model looks a little different from when it appeared back in the 90s, but TomsProps mentions that the model was repainted (which probably explains why Rheneas' model looks shinier than it did in either Season 4 or 5) and refurbished during production of Season 6 during the early 2000s, but the restoration work didn't get completed and he never got the matte varnish (Thank God) like most of the other engines.

It also looks like Rheneas' model also came without a face, but Ricky and Louis of the Twitter account ThomasTankMerch was able to provide TomsProps with the unused laughing face that they had in their possession for the past few years or so. This is probably the first time Rheneas has been see wearing his laughing face in public.

TomsProps also got two red narrow gauge coaches, too.:)

Last edited:
Sorry to derail the thread @Andrew Boyd: Duke of Dank , but I have some good news to tell you!:)

It looks like Rheneas' small scale model that was used during Season's 4 & 5 of Thomas & Friends has been found and is now currently in possession of Twitter user TomsProps! :extremelyhappy: The model looks a little different from when it appeared back in the 90s, but TomsProps mentions that the model was repainted and refurbished during production of Season 6 during the early 2000s, but never got the matte varnish (thank God) like most of the other engines.

It also looks like Rheneas' model also came without a face, but Ricky and Louis of the Twitter account ThomasTankMerch was able to provide TomsProps with the unused laughing face they had in their possession. This is probably the first time Rheneas has been see wearing his laughing face in public.

TomsProps also got two red narrow gauge coaches, too.:)

Nice.

BTW, I had the idea that in my TL Molly is the main female character starting in TTL's Season 6 (1998). Then she's joined by TTL's Emily, who instead of a green Stirling single, is instead an orange GCR 9J.

Nice.

BTW, I had the idea that in my TL Molly is the main female character starting in TTL's Season 6 (1998). Then she's joined by TTL's Emily, who instead of a green Stirling single, is instead an orange GCR 9J.
That's nice @Andrew Boyd: Duke of Dank . I have a few more questions about your timeline's version of Season 3 if that's alright.

1. I know that the Flying Scotsman will most likely gets his model made for Tender Engines (or Tenders for Henry), but will his faces just be modified recasted versions of his brother Gordon's or will they be completely different?
  2. Daisy will appear in the episode Mavis instead of Diesel, right? After all, she appeared in the original story of Mavis in the Railway Series book Tramway Engines and having Diesel in the rail life version of the episode instead of Daisy felt off putting.
  3. I assume since Gordon Goes Foreign wasn't adapted in Season 2, it will probably be adapted for Season 3, right? Will Big City Engine be an original model or just Henry's repainted with a new face and added smoke deflectors?
  4. At the beginning of your timeline Andrew, you mentioned an episode under the name of Deep Freeze. The picture from it is a still from the OTL Season 3 episode Percy, James and the Fruitful Day and since the episode had Season 3's lighting, I assumed it would be a Season 3 episode. Will Deep Freeze be a Season 3 episode or will it come out in a later season?

1. I know that the Flying Scotsman will most likely gets his model made for Tender Engines (or Tenders for Henry), but will his faces just be modified recasted versions of his brother Gordon's or will they be completely different?
Not sure yet. But likely similar to keep up the idea of being brothers.
  1. Daisy will appear in the episode Mavis instead of Diesel, right? After all, she appeared in the original story of Mavis in the Railway Series book Tramway Engines and having Diesel in the rail life version of the episode instead of Daisy felt off putting.
Yes.
  1. I assume since Gordon Goes Foreign wasn't adapted in Season 2, it will probably be adapted for Season 3, right? Will Big City Engine be an original model or just Henry's repainted with a new face and added smoke deflectors?
Probably original given higher budget.
  1. At the beginning of your timeline Andrew, you mentioned an episode under the name of Deep Freeze. The picture from it is a still from the OTL Season 3 episode Percy, James and the Fruitful Day and since the episode had Season 3's lighting, I assumed it would be a Season 3 episode. Will Deep Freeze be a Season 3 episode or will it come out in a later season?
Season 3.

Not sure yet. But likely similar to keep up the idea of being brothers.
Sibling usually sometimes tend to look alike, right?

Thank you.

Probably original given higher budget.
I probably should have figured that out, given that George Lucas is involved with the show in this timeline. Oh, by the way @Andrew Boyd: Duke of Dank , will Big City Engine also play the role of the Derailed Engine or will a generic repainted background engine?

Season 3.
Thanks for telling me!:) Well, time for me to update my list of potential Season 3 episodes for your timeline I did above.