Season 1: Trivia and Image Gallery
Trivia

General

• This season is the only one to have several things:
    • The only season to use the original intro, which used specially shot footage. The intro that was introduced in Season Two would instead use a combination of specially shot and stock footage from Thomas Comes to Breakfast.
    • The only season where all the rolling stock had their faces embedded into their bodies. Troublesome Trucks were given clay faces starting in the second season, though some first season-style trucks continued to appear into the sixth season.
    • Depictions of Henry in his original shape in both green and blue liveries. After this episode, the blue version was repainted, and used as one of several engines that appeared in background shots.
    • The only season where Henry is depicted with a LNER-style corridor tender. The second season onwards depicts him with a Stanier-style tender akin to his one in The Railway Series.
    • James being painted black. Much like Henry's blue model, it was repainted and reused as a background engine.
    • Thomas and Gordon's pilot models being used as background engines. Most notably, Thomas' pilot model was modified and repainted dark green to serve as the tank engine who teases James in Troublesome Trucks. Whereas Gordon's pilot model was repainted black and used on several occasions - most notably being the engine that pulled the goods train Henry crashes into during the Flying Kipper.
    • The only season shot entirely at Battersea instead of Shepperton Studios later on.
    • Thomas & The Breakdown Train is the only appearance of James' black livery in the model era
    • The only season to be dubbed in Afrikaans or Catalan prior to Season Six in 1998.
    • Troublesome Trucks is the only episode where the Green Tank Engine speaks
  • The restored versions of most Season One episodes actually versions of the footage that had been re-used in music videos from the Third Season onwards.
  • This series took roughly seven months to film: from September 1983 to March 1984.
  • According to Ringo Starr, some of his narrations had to be re-recorded due to the tone of his voice being deemed "too harsh".
Henry & The Elephant
  • The model of the Elephant had its legs taped to the leading truck in the scene where it pushes out Henry.
  • The sound effect of the elephant's trumpeting is a stock sound effect from the 1967 Disney film The Jungle Book.
Trouble In The Shed
  • The other engines at the Workshop are from left to right: Thomas' pilot model (repainted dark green), a Marklin BR 08, a Marklin Class 24 2-6-0, Gordon's pilot model (repainted black), and Henry's blue model. All of these face the back of the shed while Percy faces the front.
Dirty Objects
  • The tar tankers are being pushed by one of the Marklin 08s, according to behind the scenes photos.
  • An alternate angle of the crash scene is used when the episode is referenced in later episodes.
Gallery
latest

The only known footage of the original Down the Mine pilot is this screen shot of the Thomas model. Afterwards, it was repainted dark green and given a flattened running board for use as one of several background characters that populated the set well into the sixth season.

latest

This image of Henry was taken from a scene in Henry and the Elephant. Specifically the scene where Henry begs his driver not to make him go into the tunnel. One can tell from the coach behind Henry that this is actually stock footage from The Sad Story of Henry.

Last edited:
TTTE 1984: Season 2 - Overview/The Episodes
SEASON 2

Overview

Released in 1986, this season was notable in that it was the first to adapt several of Christopher Awdry's stories: four of which had originally been written for More About Thomas The Tank Engine. The fifth one was a one-off story Christopher Awdry originally wrote shortly after completing Really Useful Engines. Additionally, Britt Allcroft had considered cancelling the episode The Missing Coach, seeing the plot as too confusing. However, David Mitton and George Lucas managed to talk her out of this idea. Lastly, this season was the first where the intro consisted of footage from Thomas Comes to Breakfast.

Episode 1: Percy & The Scarf
Percy gets more than he bargained for when he goes around expressing a desire for a scarf.
Based On: Percy & The Trousers from the RWS Vol 6: Henry the Green Engine

Episode 2: Cows
After several cows charge at Edward's train, he is left being ridiculed by Gordon and Henry. However, they soon are put back into their place by Bluebell.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 9: Edward the Blue Engine

Episode 3: Saved from Scrap
Edward races against time to save Trevor, a perfectly useful traction engine, from being scrapped.

Episode 4: Bertie's Chase
Unaware that he was carrying Thomas' passengers, Edward leaves Bertie in the dust. Not that it's going to stop the bus from getting his passengers to the train.

Episode 6: Old Iron
James learns to eat his own words when Edward, who he said was "too slow", catches up with him and stops him from being a runaway.

Episode 6: Percy & The Signal
Percy plays one trick too many on Gordon and James. Which leads to them inventing the myth of a "backing signal".
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 11: Percy the Small Engine

Episode 7: Duck Takes Charge
The Fat Controller gets another engine to do Percy's jobs at Knapford while Percy goes to work on Thomas' Branch Line

Episode 8: Percy & Harold
Percy finally gets fed up with a helicopter named Harold who says railways are out of date. In response, the little green engine races him.

Episode 9: Thomas, Percy, & The Coal
Thomas and Percy get each other covered in coal. During several different mishaps.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 30: More About Thomas the Tank Engine

Episode 10: Double-Header
James is forced to push Toby all the way to Crovan's Gate when the tram doesn't have enough water to carry on alone.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 12: The Eight Famous Engines

Episode 11: Domeless Engines
Gordon tries to go faster than the City of Truro, an engine Duck admires.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 13: Duck & The Diesel Engine

Episode 12: Pop Goes The Diesel
Duck tries to help a diesel, simply called Diesel, who simply does not listen. At least not until it's too late.

Episode 13: Dirty Work
Diesel is still angry about all that has happened between him and Duck, and carries out a dirty revenge plan which ends with Duck being sent away.

Episode 14: A Close Shave
Duck goes to work at Wellsworth until the Fat Controller says otherwise. However, this gives Duck the chance to stop a runaway.

Episode 15: The Runaway
Thomas' brakes were not completely fixed when he went to the works one day. This causes problems when he eventually returns to work.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 30: More About Thomas the Tank Engine

Episode 16: Drip-Tank
Percy wants to start talking to Thomas again, which they haven't done since the coal incidents.

Episode 17: The Missing Coach
Donald and Douglas, a pair of Scottish engines, arrive to work on the Fat Controller's Railway. However, they resort to trickery to try and cover-up a mistake Douglas made.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 15: The Twin Engines

Episode 18: Break-Van
Douglas keeps getting held up by a brakevan, and James having to fill in for Donald only makes matters worse.

Episode 19: Thomas Comes To Breakfast
Thomas boasts about how his driver said he can run on his own. Unfortunately, he only learns that his driver was joking the hard way.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 16: Branch Line Engines

Episode 20: Daisy
A diesel rail-car who came to take over during Thomas' repairs causes problems for Percy and Toby.

Episode 21: Bull's Eye
Daisy makes fun to Toby's cow-catches and side-plates. That is until her own way of dealing with animals proves to be ineffective.

Episode 22: Percy's Predicament
Percy is fed up with having to take the milk instead of Daisy, so Toby agrees to switch jobs with him.

Episode 23: The Dieseasel
Bill and Ben, a pair of tank engine twins, think that a "Diseasel" stole their trucks. Their quest to get them back leads to meeting BoCo.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 21: Main Line Engines

Episode 24: Buzz, Buzz
James insults BoCo by calling him a "buzz-box", much to Duck's anger. However, the red engine eventually has to eat his own words.

Episode 25: Wrong Road
Edward and Gordon go down the wrong lines one night.

Episode 26: Edward's Exploit
Edward tries his best to get some rail enthusiasts home.

Episode 27: Ghost Train
Percy and Toby play a trick on Thomas after he says the former's ghost story was silly.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 26: Tramway Engines

Episode 28: Wooly Bear
Some treacle and hay both leave Percy in a mess. Much to Thomas' amusement.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 26: Tramway Engines

Episode 29: The Deputation
Donald and Douglas get the big engines to create a "deputation" to make sure the Fat Controller lets both of them stay.

Episode 30: Thomas & The Missing Christmas Tree
Donald and Douglas come to Thomas' aid to get a Christmas Tree delivered.
Based On: Story of the same name by Christopher Awdry

Last edited:
Season 2: Trivia and Image Gallery
Trivia

General

• This season was the first series of a few things:
    • It was the first series to feature trucks with resin faces.
    • It was the first series to use stories by Christopher Awdry.
    • Diesel locomotive characters were first seen in this series.
    • The first female engine, Daisy, debuted in this series.
    • Thomas' open-mouthed grinning face became his default expression for this series and until the 2000s.
  • This season was the last of several things:
    • The last season in which neither Christopher Awdry nor George Lucas had any direct input.
    • The last season where soundtrack was composed entirely with the Roland Jupiter 6 synthesizer. Though several Season 3 themes would use recycle themes from said synthesizer.
    • The last series narrated by Ringo Starr in the UK, with him leaving so he could focus more on his work with The Beatles and other music venues.
  • This season was the only one of several things:
    • The only season where Donald and Douglas are painted black and do not have nameplates.
    • The only season where Henry's theme is not used at all.
  • The show's opening montage from this season onward consists of alternate footage from Thomas Comes to Breakfast.

Gallery

Duck's first ever appearance in the series.

latest

This Trainz model depicts the City of Truro as he appeared in his only Model Era role in "Domeless Engines". It was made as a dummy model in order so that it would be cheaper to make and recycle into other models. Eventually, the model's wheels would later be repainted yellow and white for use on Molly the Yellow Engine, whereas the rest was used as a prop for scrapyards.

Douglas as he appears in the 'awful thought' scene from "The Missing Coach". What's worth noting is the face that the Brake Coach behind him does not appear to have a face, despite brake coaches having their faces embedded into their back-ends. Donald and Douglas would later be repainted blue like in the Railway Series, and their black models would be reused to serve as characters from other railways.

Last edited:
Coming to America (1987)
January 16, 1987
Skywalker Ranch: Nicasio, California

George Lucas was working from home for that day, when his phone rang. Upon picking it up, George found it was Britt Allcroft. At first, the two spent a bit of time catching up on each other and their respective lives until at last, Britt got down to business.

"You remember how when David and I started making Thomas, you said you'd also help us find a way to get into the States, right?"

"Of course," replied George, "Did you change your mind for something?

"No," said Birtt, "the fact is I actually have been doing a bit of soul-searching myself, and think I found someone to turn to."

"Who?"

"A man named Rick Siggelkow. He works for a PBS affiliate in New York, and said he was open to talking to both of us at some point in the future."

"Nice," said George, "Does you or Mr. Mitten have any thoughts, comments, or concerns?"

"About David," said Britt, "He actually has another idea for a show, and was thinking of giving you a heads up. He's working with Robert D. Cordana on this one show they thought of - it's one about tugboats."

"Uh, huh," nodded George, "Is he asking for funding?"

"No," said Britt.

"You can tell him I'm open to talking more about this with him if he wants some funding." said George, "I actually am pretty interested in this idea."

"OK," replied Britt, "Thank you. I'll tell him when I can. Anything else you want to bring up?"

"Not really," finished George, "Goodbye."

"Goodbye."

Thought I'd let everyone know that for the time being, I'm waiting until the main TL enters the 1980s, so I can use possible inspiration there.

I also will post this to the Sodor Island Fansite Forums for input from fellow TTTE and TUGs fans.

Just a little update, but RIP Michael Angelis (1952-2020)

Ringo may be the most remembered UK narrator, but Michael was IMO the one who make the UK narrations so much better than the US narrations (at least the ones after George Carlin left).

Just a little update, but RIP Michael Angelis (1952-2020)

Ringo may be the most remembered UK narrator, but Michael was IMO the one who make the UK narrations so much better than the US narrations (at least the ones after George Carlin left).

It is a shame that Michael Angelis died. Even though I'm an American and grew up with American dub, Angelis' narration of Thomas are starting to grow on me.

I'm wondering, I wonder if we'll see 87546 and 98462 later on this TL? I like the idea if you're interested that if we get to 2000 with the film that we have them as the villains instead of Diseal 10 and PT Boomer and it would be a interesting way going full circle by bringing two early RWS characters in here.

Of the two I think 98462 would be the main villain with 87546 as the sidekick who perhaps does a switch from bad to good here?

I'm wondering, I wonder if we'll see 87546 and 98462 later on this TL? I like the idea if you're interested that if we get to 2000 with the film that we have them as the villains instead of Diseal 10 and PT Boomer and it would be a interesting way going full circle by bringing two early RWS characters in here.

Of the two I think 98462 would be the main villain with 87546 as the sidekick who perhaps does a switch from bad to good here?
I was thinking in my TL, Britt Allcroft would eventually turn to Warner Bros and merge with the company in 1999. TATMR isn't made the way it is IOTL, and eventually, the CGI series starts with a feature film starring the two characters.

Though I could also see them appearing in the TV series' model era. Antagonizing Thomas, Edward, Henry, Gordon, and James again.