INTRODUCTION: David Mitton's Deal
Feburary 5, 1982
Shepperton Studios: Surrey, England

Britt Allcroft and David Mitton were sitting in the latter's office. For about a year, the two had been working on creating an adaptation of the Railway Series of books written by the Reverend W. Awdry. The publishers, Kayne and Ward, agreed. However, they added a catch; the production crew were required to have all the stories be adapted from the Railway Series for its first two seasons, then adapt at least five Railway Series books as episodes for every season thereafter.

"I was actually called by Jim Henson the other day," said David after a brief silence.

"What did he say?" asked Britt, perking up in hopes that their way out of the trouble had arrived.

Mitton took a breath of announcement.

"He did say that he'd call me back," replied David. "But he called me again last night, and told me that George Lucas is interested in the idea."

Britt was ecstatic, as one could tell from her face alone. The fact they had gotten the Beatles drummer, Ringo Starr, to provide narration despite his schedule was already reason to be pleased, but George Lucas? This was a major vision that could be seen happening.

"Great!" she exclaimed, "When is he open to talking."

"About two weeks from now," replied David. "The fact that we're using models to make this is apparently what got him hooked, so I think our prospects are pretty good."

"So do I," said Britt, barely attempting to contain a smile.

"He says he would like to see the layouts we're using when he comes," went on David. "So if we can have them ready, and running, we should be good."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, all of you. With this first post begins my supplementary material for Blue Skies in Camelot by @President_Lincoln, and is slightly inspired by the Flying Scotsman supplement provided by @QTXAdsy. As one can guess from the above, the POD is that Kayne & Ward, then publishers of The Railway Series, forces Britt and David to agree to adapting every book in the original series at certain points. Being that this would be near impossible with the budget OTL's shows had, this means that David Mitton chose to look to big producers like Jim Henson and George Lucas. Eventually, they manage to settle with the latter, as we will soon learn more about.

At any rate, I was going to wait until the main TL reached 1982. However, I decided I ought to just start now so I don't end up forgetting.

Last edited:
This sounds promising. Haven't seen that series in years, though there are some excellent fans on YouTube who do amazing takes themselves, NRW1991, for a start.

The Meeting with George
Feburary 20, 1983
Shepperton Studios: Surrey, England

Jim Henson, Britt Allcroft, and George Lucas all sat at a table. In the middle of it was the filming crew's initial model of Thomas the Tank Engine himself. The very pilot that the crew had used in filming their original pilot take on "Down the Mine". The model seemingly stared into the distance with its painted-on eyes, chunky side-rods, and all around fairly toy-like appearance.

"So, you're making this with model trains, huh?" asked George. "I spoke to the Rev. W. Awdry when I first got interested as Mr. Mitton proposed, and he was pleased when I say I had the money you may need to make this show closer to the books than they would have been otherwise."

"That's correct." answered Mitton. "Thing is with what Kayne & Ward said, we were unsure how much it would cost."

George looked at the model of Thomas on the table.

"Is that what the largest models are like?"

"Yes." replied Britt. "But then there's how smaller engines would look."

"Smaller engines?"

Britt pulled out a few of the Railway Series books and showed George. The book in question was Railway Series Book 22: Small Railway Engines. It was at a picture from where Duck first meets Rex, the Small Green Engine.

1581217759117.png

The Illustration in Question. For your viewing pleasure.

"Hold on a second." interrupted George. "I knew that model I bought would come in handy."

George got into his suitcase, pulled out something in plastic wrap and got out an HO Scale model of a Southern Pacific Cab Forward. He put it up next to the large Thomas. David Mitton got up to see the comparison, and smiled. The Cab Forward was smaller than a wheel on the Thomas model.

"I think I know how we can make the size issue less problematic." went on George, "You see, in the US we use sort of different sizes for all sorts of model trains."

"Like OO Gauge?" asked Britt.

"Sort of," explained George. "Except our version, HO Gauge, is smaller."

"So, what you're thinking is that we could use those modeling gauges to make the models in the actual show?" asked David.

"That's correct." said George wholeheartedly. "You see, I think engines like Thomas, the big green guy (Henry), and all the standard gauge stuff could be Large Scale. Smaller engines like the red ones (The Skarloey Railway), could be what we the Gauge 1 models here in Britain, where they're smaller than Large Scale, but still pretty big. Then, for the small green engine in the photo you just showed me (Rex the Small Engine), we can use HO Scale."

"Ah," said Britt.

"Any set budget we'd be under if you funded us?" asked David.

George thought for a little while.

"Tell you two what," he said at last. "All these first few books have standard gauge engines in them, right?"

"Correct." replied David.

"I'm game for funding any part of the show necessary," said George. "What if I were to leave your guys to your own devices for the most part, then come in if you need help? In the meantime, I could work on trying to get a way to air this in the States."

"Thank you," said Britt, "That would actually be nice."

David nodded his head in agreement. He was already ecstatic about working under the wing of Hollywood's newest growing star, but if anything, he had really hit the jackpot.

Very nice. Wonder if the Muppet man will still be involved. Think it'd be interesting to hear Muppet voice actors to voices for this version of the show. Frank Oz, and so on.

Hmm, looking forward to this. If this is set alongside what I did with the Flying Scotsman supplement, wonder if Scotty's tours might get a mention here if Lucas might've seen her while during the Stateside tour?

Cool. How about if Carlen stays on for a few more seasons as narrator, depending on how long it last in the US?
That is indeed part of the plan. At least until the early 2000s.

Heck, I can see Lucas helping to keep him around by having him record lines in LA, then having them sent to production.

George Lucas Interview with SiF: 2007
"How did you first get involved in Thomas' production?"
"When I was working on The Empire Strikes Back with Jim Henson, he mentioned in passing that he had been approached with the idea of a TV series filmed using model trains. Sort of like a puppet show, except with no moving mouths. I thought I would look into it myself, and eventually managed to convince him to call David Mitton for me, since I had to have a meeting with executives about finalizing The Empire Strikes Back's release."

"What was it like when you first met the Rev. Awdry?"
"When I first met the Rev. Awdry, he seemed like your typical old English cleric. I had heard about that controversy where he used the N-Word in one of the stories he wrote about Henry, though he thankfully seemed to not be too proud about it. In general, he was fairly warm and welcoming, and felt pleased that I specifically came to see him to get a better understanding of what he felt would be a good translation of his stories. I even remember proof-reading the episode about Henry visiting a forest, and adding in the mention of him going on to a siding when he's there."

"Did he know about any of your films you made back in the States? Like Star Wars?"
"He was actually surprised to find out about the connection, since he admittedly was not much of a movie go-er. Though when he did see some of the clips I showed him, he definitely seemed to think they were decent films."

"How often would you say you really chipped in?"
"Generally, Britt and David seemed to do well on their own. Though they did come to see me when they wanted to make the original model of James from when was painted black, as well as both the blue and green versions of Henry in his old shape. Of course, as the budgets got larger and the show hit the air in the US, they decided to try and get introducing the Skarloey and Small Railways over with, so I helped with overseeing the production of models in both the British Gauge 1 and American HO scale for that purpose. I also helped them get the cash needed to make the blue models of Donald and Douglas, which Kayne & Ward insisted on."

- Taken from SiF Admin Ryan's interview with George Lucas

Last edited:
I thought that I'd preview the TL with some alternate screenshots.

My idea is that the models are more detailed than OTL. So these are mostly to give you a glimpse of what I envisioned.
upload_2019-9-11_18-45-37.png

Thomas was one of the few British shows to air in the Catalan language of eastern Spain. However, the translators DID take some slight liberties with the original scripts.

Henry in the Season 3 episode 'Super Rescue'. Adapted from the Enterprising Engines story of the same name.

Sir Handel in a deleted scene from the Season 4 episode 'Whistle Trouble'. Adapted from a Christopher Awdry annual story.

James in a scene from 'Deep Freeze'. Based on the Christopher Awdry story of the same name.

Oliver, Percy, and James in a scene from Season 5's 'Oliver Gets the Bird'. Adapting from a 1985 annual story.

Henry in the second act of Season 4's 'Percy Takes the Plunge'. Which David Mitton combined with a scrapped episode idea to give Henry some karma.

A screenshot of Thomas in the season 4 episode 'Stop Thief'. Adapted from Really Useful Engines by Christopher Awdry.

Last edited:
TTTE 1984: Season 1 - Overview/The Episodes
The date was October 9, 1984. After several years of production, and the finalization of deals with LucasFilm, the cameras rolled on what is easily one of the longest-run children's franchises of modern times. With narration provided by Beatles drummer Ringo Starr, cinematography by Thunderbirds alumnus David Mitton, and music by Mike O'Donnel and Junior Campbell, what was made was a bonafide hit.

SEASON 1

Episode 1: Thomas & Gordon

Thomas enjoys waking up big engines as they try to rest. However, him doing this to Gordon one particularly busy and tiring day proves to be his undoing, as Gordon is furious and plans revenge on Thomas. Said revenge being Thomas getting dragged behind the Express.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 2: Thomas the Tank Engine

Episode 2: Edward & Gordon
Edward is let out of the sheds after a long while. He enjoys himself, and is told he'll be out again the next day. That next day, Gordon gets stuck on a hill and Edward helps him up.
Based On: Edward's Day Out and Edward & Gordon from RWS Vol 1: The Three Railway Engines

Episode 3: The Sad Story of Henry
Henry stops in a tunnel so that the rain won't ruin his paint. That said, he soon regrets it when the Fat Controller devises an unorthodox punishment.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 1: The Three Railway Engines

Episode 4: Edward, Gordon, & Henry
After Gordon is left unable to pull the Express and Edward is too weak to do it on his own, Henry gets a chance at redemption.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 1: The Three Railway Engines

Episode 5: Thomas' Train
Thomas wants to pull his own train, but the other engines make fun of him for it. However, Thomas gets the chance to prove himself when Henry becomes ill again.

Episode 6: Thomas & The Trucks
When Edward lets Thomas take his trucks, the little engine learns how difficult goods trains often are.

Episode 7: Thomas & The Breakdown Train
After a new engine comes off the line, Thomas acts quickly to clear up the mess. As such, he receives the greatest reward any engine could hope for - a line belonging all to himself.

Episode 8: James & The Coaches
James, the new engine who Thomas had re-railed after an accident, spends a day working with Edward. Unfortunately, said day reveals that he needs to learn how to treat coaches.
Based On: James & The Top Hat and James & The Coaches from the RWS Vol 3: James the Red Engine

Episode 9: Thomas & The Guard
After he is held up by Henry running late, Thomas forgets his guard at the station.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 4: Tank Engine Thomas Again

Episode 10: Troublesome Trucks
James is allowed out of the shed after several days, but he first has to pull a goods train of some very unruly trucks.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 3: James the Red Engine

Episode 11: Thomas Goes Fishing
Thomas often wishes he could stop to catch fish one day. Though he eventually gets more than he bargained for no thanks to a faulty water tower.

Episode 12: James & The Express
James fills in for Gordon after an embarrassing incident leaves the big engine unable to pull the Express.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 3: James the Red Engine

Episode 13: Thomas, Terrence, & The Snow
A tractor named Terrence comes to Thomas' rescue after he damaged his snowplow on purpose.

Episode 14: Thomas & Bertie
A bus named Bertie agrees to race Thomas to prove who is faster.

Episode 15: Henry & The Elephant
After a circus that was on Sodor reports having lost an elephant, Henry gets a surprise when trying to clear a tunnel.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 5: Troublesome Engines

Episode 16: Tenders & Turntables
Gordon and James both have trouble trying to get turned around on a turntable.

Episode 17: Trouble In The Shed
Gordon, Henry, and James refuse to come out of the shed. As such, the Fat Controller buys Percy, and has Edward and Thomas work on the mainline instead.

Episode 18: Percy Runs Away
Percy is startled by Gordon when a signalman doesn't change a set points on the mainline.

Episode 19: Coal
Henry suffers dreadfully, and no one cares. No one that is, except the Fat Controller, who decides to try and have Henry use a new kind of Coal.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 6: Henry the Green Engine

Episode 20: The Flying Kipper
Henry has an accident while pulling a goods train, but that soon turns out to be a blessing in disguise.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 6: Henry the Green Engine

Episode 21: Whistles and Sneezes
Henry manages to silence both Gordon and some naughty boys all in one day.
Based On: Gordon's Whistle and Henry's Sneeze from the RWS Vol 6: Henry the Green Engine

Episode 22: Toby & The Stout Gentleman
Toby, his coach Henrietta, and guard's van Elsie all are on thin ice when their line closes. However, a new hope arrives because of a man who visited them with his grandchildren.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 7: Toby the Tram Engine

Episode 23: Thomas in Trouble
An over-zealous policeman causes trouble for Thomas. However, the Fat Controller quickly has a solution of his own devised.

Episode 24: Dirty Objects
James' insults towards Toby and Henrietta return to bite him in the tender. Toby's efforts to clear up the mess earn him a new coat of paint.

Episode 25: Off The Rails
Gordon tries to get out of pulling a good train. Albeit with disastrous results for him.
Based On: Story of the same name from the RWS Vol 8: Gordon the Big Engine

Episode 26: Leaves
Gordon is sent to haul goods trains for his behavior, though he does use this as a chance to help James up Gordon's Hill.

Episode 27: Down the Mine
Thomas constantly teases Gordon for falling into a ditch. Though he eventually repents after learning what a danger board at the lead mines was for.

Episode 28: Paint Pots & Queens
Thomas & Gordon prove that they have redeemed themselves when an engine is needed to bring the Queen of Britain to Sodor.

Episode 29: Mrs. Kindly's Christmas
Thomas & Toby both feel sorry for Mrs. Kindly, an old widow who lives by the railway, and eventually saves Thomas from an avalanche.

Episode 30: Thomas' Christmas Party
As a token of gratitude to Mrs. Kindly after the last episode, Thomas and Toby decide to have a Christmas Party for her.
Based On: Story of the same name by Christopher Awdry

UP NEXT: Production Notes/Image Gallery

Last edited:
OOC: Lots of the ideas I have for this are loosely based on various ideas I saw for alternate versions of the franchise that I saw both on the SiF forums and DeviantArt.

Last edited: