An Age of Miracles: The Revival of Rhomanion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I'm missing something. When did the serbs join the anti-byzantine coalition?

While the Romans were focused on the Timurids I supposed they were convinced by the Venetians that in joining their alliance they could prey upon the romans in a moment of weakness when they were over-stretched and lost significant manpower. Essentialy they took, along the bulgarians, a huge gamble, now they will have to win at all costs (but it's not they didn't know it).

Here is a map, showing how the members of the alliance envision dividing up the Empire's European territories (off map Naples would receive all of Roman Italy). Asian territories are not marked, because without knowing how well the Mamelukes fare and how the Empire would fracture after the fall of Constantinople, no clear plans can be made.

coalitionplans.png

Last edited:
Could it be possible for Byzantium to reconquer Serbia and Bulgaria as well as Venetia and romanize them beyond recognition?
And when's the next chapter expected to come out?

fatal flaw: they aren't taking Anatolia. call me crazy, but a Roman Empire with just anatolia can still function very well, after some issues at first. i made a timeline about Roman anatolia, and sadly deleted it.

The Sandman

Banned
Two issues with that map, one out of story and one in it.

First, wouldn't Venice also want Gallipolli? Not much point in having the City if you don't also control the access to it.

Second, the Serbs and assorted Bulgarians seem to have forgotten that their neighbors might decide that what's good for the goose is good for the gander and pile in against them. Especially the Bulgarians; controlling both sides of the Danube and thus controlling trade along and through its lower third would be something the Vlachs would probably be very interested in.

Heck, the Bulgarians in general are going to be in serious trouble, since from the Roman point of view the relative mercy in not conquering them outright has just been met with a massive stab in the back.

On a completely different note, I would love to see a Venetian/Serbian/etc. siege of Constantinople be ended by Ottoman aid to the Romans in May 1453. :D

fatal flaw: they aren't taking Anatolia. call me crazy, but a Roman Empire with just anatolia can still function very well, after some issues at first. i made a timeline about Roman anatolia, and sadly deleted it.

not so fatal, if they take Costantinople, Anatolia will fracture post-1204 style (Trebizond comes to mind first, maybe even Nicea, given the more extensive holdings, I'd see 4-5 successor states arising, with Mamelukes at first and maybe even Ottomans later on picking the remainder).

not so fatal, if they take Costantinople, Anatolia will fracture post-1204 style (Trebizond comes to mind first, maybe even Nicea, given the more extensive holdings, I'd see 4-5 successor states arising, with Mamelukes at first and maybe even Ottomans later on picking the remainder).

Not sure. I don't think taking the City has automatic fracturing effects, it was the lack of someone able to take charge of all the remaining pieces that did - and OTL Trebizond was a split off for other reasons.

To be honest, I'd rather that when/if Rome retakes venice it occupies the city peacefully and honorably, just to show how much better they are. Sort of like how Saladin occupied Jerusalem compared to the Crusaders.

To be honest, I'd rather that when/if Rome retakes venice it occupies the city peacefully and honorably, just to show how much better they are. Sort of like how Saladin occupied Jerusalem compared to the Crusaders.

Yeah. Although I'm not sure that would be in character for Theodore, it would be preferable.

No, better keep the city, throw out its inhabitants and rename it Helenapolis.

Keeping sounds good, renaming would have little effect, no one outside the Empire and even most citizen of the Empire would still think of it as Venice. If the city was completely destroyed then it would be possible, since the city would be refounded.

A question: what's the greek name for Venice?

edit: on the greek version of wikipedia it says Βενετία. What's the pronounciation?

Last edited:
@Elfwine It would be a great way to demonstrate one's superority, although quite frankly, I don't think it won't happen - Venice has been a thorn in Byzantium's side for too long.

So I keep seeing mention of artifacts stolen during the sack of Constantinople, what exactly will the romans be taking back from the Venetians (because I doubt 444 is a good enough troll to have the Venetians win and crush Rome).

This TL is getting better and better (unlike the fates of the Roman Empire)!
Keeping sounds good, renaming would have little effect, no one outside the Empire and even most citizen of the Empire would still think of it as Venice. If the city was completely destroyed then it would be possible, since the city would be refounded.

edit: on the greek version of wikipedia it says Βενετία. What's the pronounciation?

Its pronounciation is 'Venetía'.

http://translate.google.com/#el|en|%CE%92%CE%B5%CE%BD%CE%B5%CF%84%CE%AF%CE%B1%0Apress the sound mark and there you have it. In Byzantine/Medieval Greek, its pronounciation would be the same.

Louyan

Banned

"Venetia" with emphasis at the "i" and not at the second "e" as in italian. But that's OTL modern greek.

I see that the Empire is in a difficult situation. I don’t believe Russia can be of help in this. She is preoccupied with Perm in the east and has the Roman Catholic Poland in the west. Georgia can send some troops but she has to guard her Caspian shore. A light guarded shore would only be a temptation for samarkandian raiders.
I think much depend on which side Hungary will choose. A Hungary who is friendly to Venice–or even has a friendly neutrality - secures the Polish, Serbian and Venetian flanks and threatens Vlachia, preventing her of giving effective aid to the Empire. I can’t believe the Venetian master plan hasn’t taken into consideration Hungary. Genoa could be of help but I would expect the price to be rather high – and rightfully. The relations with Aragon have cooled since the Romans indirect support of Andalus, so the Romans must give something for her support.

I always thought that Basileus portrait Theodoros much more interested to make money than friends in the Empire’s foreign affairs.Now I believe it will hit him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.