Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Amazing stuff, keep it up!

I LOVE INDEPENDENT TEXAS TLS!!!!

AND CHRISTIAN DEMOCRATIC PARTIES

Very nice work as always, I especially like the Canadian-style map.

In cases like these where the smaller parties endorse one of the big party candidates, I think wikiboxes tend to have an extra line for "Alliance" in which the other parties (or the name of an overarching organisation which represents their pact) is listed, as in New York City mayoral elections for example - maybe something to consider?

Yeah I think the Canadian electoral map of OTL has a certain functional aesthetic to it. So ITTL that format has become the default Wikipedia standard for elections.

Regarding the Alliance line, I excluded it because the support of the minor parties is not a formal organised thing. And the big two parties don't really acknowledge or reciprocate the support, hence why they Reform and Partido Hispanofono run against each other in places like Sonora.

As a Texan, this all seems about right. Surprised by how well Chris Bell did - he didn't do nearly that well in either the Texas Gubernatorial or Houston Mayoral election - but I suppose it makes sense with the more liberal western expansion. If you don't mind me asking, what did Lyndon Johnson, John Connally, John Tower, Barbara Jordan, Mickey Leland, the Bushes, Ann Richards, and/or the Castro brothers end up doing?
Also, a bit of a quibble - Chris Bell is from and has spent almost his entire career in Houston, it's just that his former district was moved west.

Lyndon Johnson was a member of the Reform Party and the President between 1966 and 1972, the first elected by national popular vote. He was succeeded by John Connally who was a CDP member and President between 1972 to 1978.

John Tower was the Governor of Matagorda between 1985 and his death in 1991. Barbara Jordan was the a Reform Party member and the first African-Texan woman elected to Congress, where she served from 1974 until her death in 1996. Mickey Leland was Reform Party congressman between 1974 and 1987 when he was appointed Texan High Commissioner to Accra, a position he held until his death, he was killed in a plane crash in Sierra Leone in 1989.

The Bushes are New Englanders ITTL, with papa Bush serving as UK Prime Minister between 1992 and 1994 and Dubya serving between 2001 and 2004. Ann Richards was the most recent Reform President of Texas, elected after the chaotic 1996 election, previously she was Governor of Sabine. Joaquín Castro was a member of the Nueces Legislative Assembly until the 2011 federal election, when he was elected to the House of Representatives. Julián Castro is the current Governor of Nueces, elected in 2014. Both of the brothers have been touted as future leaders of the Reform Party or presidential candid

Thanks for catching that about Chris Bell, my mistake. I've fixed it in the boxes :)

I once again bow to your mastery of Teh Awesomesauce, particularly over your coverage of my new home. I did have a question, how well populated are Navajo, New Mexico and Sonora compared to the other states of the Republic? Also, given your note of how "OTL-esque" Texan culture is ITTL (not at all a complaint, gotta have some touchstones after all :) ), are there any notable differences in music, cinema, etc. from OTL?

Thanks :D I thought you'd like it. Matagorda and Sabine are the most populous, with 9 and 8.5 million people respectively, then New Mexico is third with 5.7 million, mainly in and around Phoenix. Sonora and Nueces have 3.7 and 3 million respectively, and are home to the largest percentage of Spanish-speakers. Comancheria, Pecos and Llano are quite rural states, with 2.6, 2.3 and 1.2 million respectively. The Federal District of Texas, commonly just known as Austin, F.D. or simply Austin, consists of the OTL city of Austin and surrounds and has about 1.1 million people. Navajo is the least populous, with 450,000 inhabitants (mostly of Native American descent).

Well in terms of cinema, Texas is internationally known as the home of the Sundance Film Festival (ITTL Robert Redford is a Texan) which showcases independent films, and Texas is notable as the home of the Western genre and Crestwood, location of the Texan film industry and an important component of Latin American cinema. Texas has a reputation for producing indie films that blend British and Latino traditions. Regarding music, Texas blues, country music and Tejano music are the most popular genres in the country, and the styles for which Texas is most well known internationally, with all three being very popular exports.

OTL Tex-Mex cuisine is the stereotypical national food of Texas. Regarding sport, Texas is the heartland of gridiron football outside of British America, and cricket is also incredibly popular (filling the OTL position of baseball) including backyard cricket amongst children. Basketball and association football are less popular but still widely played, whilst lacrosse has begun to grow in popularity.

I have a soft spot for Independent Texas scenarios, especially ones with New Mexico added on. That's fairly creative.

Oh, and, seeing as I've got a wikibox TL up and they are apparently whing dings nowadays -

Number 43*

It was June 1992. Bill Clinton was on track to win the Democratic nomination, and then the presidency, if the polls were to be believed. His sole opponent, Governor Jerry Brown, had waned and had a next to nil shot of securing the nomination while Clinton's blood was still warm. Now, the attention of the Clinton campaign was focused towards the platform and the vice presidential search. In front was Senator Albert Gore of Tennessee, who did not launch a presidential bid due to a Baltimore car accident involving his son in 1989. There were other finalists too - Senators Bob Kerrey, Jay Rockefeller and Harris Wofford chief among them, but Gore was in the clear, as former Vermont governor Madeline Kunin, who served on the search team, would later recall - "When we were looking at the shortlist, Senator Gore's name would come up again and again." It seemed like a natural pick - the two men had a good rapport, and they were ideologically similar enough to double down on the moderate platform Clinton wished to emphasize in the fight against Bush and Perot.

Fate would have other plans for the mooted Clinton-Gore ticket. On the first day of July, Senator Gore's daughter Sarah was brought into hospital, suffering from heat stroke. The 13 year old was in an unconscious state, and was rendered bedridden for four weeks on the advice of James Fleming, an old family friend of the Gores*. Gore's wife, Tipper, was reportedly furious, and expressly forbade him from political consideration while Sarah was recovering, having just barely escaped the threat of brain damage. Kunin and Warren Christopher were informed of the decision, and reluctantly told Clinton that Gore was off the table. With a mere week until the convention began, the team were forced to look over their prior choices. Governor Mario Cuomo flat out rejected the idea, as he had months before. Wofford also said no, citing his limited time in the senate and wish to work on healthcare reform. Senator Graham was already working on his re-election campaign, and Bob Kerrey had lost his interest in the role. They decided that they needed an out of the box choice to contrast with Clinton and to show a 'united front' within the party. Prominently, on the advice of Donna Brazille, they wanted to go with a woman in order to countenance the claims of sexual assault made against the governor earlier on in the primary cycle. One from an electoral vote rich state.

And so, the call was made to one Nancy Patricia D'Alesandro Pelosi, the San Fransisco Congresswoman. She wasn't expecting such a call to be made, having brushed off the VP speculation ages before. She was already working on the DNC policy committee, trying to incorporate language talking of a 'war on AIDS' among other liberal bugbears into the convention's platform, which was being drafted by Ohio Congresswoman Mary Rose Oakar**. Pelosi met with the Clinton campaign many times in the week leading up to the convention, receiving more and more assurances with each meeting. Pushing for Pelosi at the bottom of the ticket was House Speaker Tom Foley, who was fond of her. In the end, the news came on the 9th that she would arrive on the ticket. Instantly, the Republicans pounced. "Clinton makes Frisco liberal as Number 2, the headlines write themselves!" Pat Buchanan was alleged to have yelled on the eve of the announcement. Indeed, the campaign acknowledged the optics of the Pelosi pick, which is why the nominee would spend the next several months undergoing 'media training'. Pelosi, who had described herself as 'too shy' for politics, had a voice which did not 'exude confidence', as James Carville noted. She spent the second night of the convention practicing speaking with what was dubbed a 'stronger' tone. Some muted comparisons were made to the media training Margaret Thatcher received from her political strategist Gordon Reece, which helped transform her into the 'Iron Lady'.

The general election would be a top-heavy affair, with the battle of the three Number Twos garnering little media attention. Quayle was notoriously Quayleish, while Pelosi's reserved nature made itself more apparent. General Stockdale genuinely impressed, managing to outshine the other two through sheer force of not being a bore. Pelosi felt left out of the campaign, later noting in her memoirs that she considered herself little more than a third wheel on Clinton's apparatus. Whatever her involvement, it was the Arkansas governor who proved to be the eventual victor. President Bush walked away with a pithy 168 electoral votes and sub-40% in the popular vote. Clinton was victorious, and though the Republicans would attempt to pin his win on Ross Perot's independent candidacy, it was he who would be the next occupant of the oval office. Clinton handed power in Little Rock over to Jim Guy Tucker, while Pelosi would resign her congressional seat. The ensuing special election would be won by Jonestown survivor and state assemblywoman Jacqueline Speier.

The dream wasn't to be, however. Clinton's first term was marred by the fight on healthcare - called 'Hillarycare' after the president's feisty wife, who Pelosi had a begrudging amount of respect for - which ultimately came to naught as conservative Democrats balked in an attempt to save their skins. Senator Gore's own lukewarm thoughts helped kill the radical bill, which was confined to the dustbin for the moment. Foreign policy-wise, things weren't much rosier. The inaction in Rwanda, which Pelosi voiced some concern against, seemingly proved the administration's ineffectiveness in the eyes of so-called 'hawks'. Things weren't all boorish stagnation, however - NAFTA was signed into law with the tacit passing of the cabinet, and some movement on gun control came forth with the signing of the Brady bill. The Supreme Court had two new additions in the forms of Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer, and minorities were appointed to numerous administrative positions in a wave of diversity. The Republican Party was rapidly radicalizing, as the hard-right 'Contract with America', unveiled by their new house minority leader Newt Gingrich, showed. Partisanship looked as if it would only intensify over the next few years.

The Clinton presidency came tumbling down on the 29th of October 1994. With the conclusion of a four day middle east trip that morning, the president sat down to watch a football game with friends. He got a call from Hillary, who was touring California at the time, and he stepped out to the North Lawn in order to take it. His wife was inquiring about 'another look' at her health care initiatives, and Clinton was attempting to get through the conversation quick enough to get back to the game. It was at that moment when Francisco Martin Duran, a 26 year old who was declared missing by his wife several weeks prior, opened fire with an SKS rifle. Clinton collapsed from the three shots to his person, breaking two ribs due to the impact with the ground. The president's chief of staff, Leon Panetta, dashed out to the lawn, where he was struck in the leg. A passerby, Ken Davis, attempted to disarm Duran but was smashed in the face with the butt of the rifle, knocking him unconscious. The president was rushed to the Medical Unit of the white house. He was not saved.

Desperate to avoid a repeat of Alexander Haig's 'In Control' episode, a wounded Panetta called Pelosi, who was touring housing development projects in Queens at the time. She was informed of the president's death, and the arrival of Air Force One at a secure runway at JFK airport. Pelosi's team at the time scattered to find a judge to swear her in. They found José Cabranes, who was driven to the airport on short notice. In scenes mirroring that of Lyndon Johnson's ascension thirty three years before, Pelosi took the oath of office inside the plane, flanked by secret service. She had officially become the 43rd president of the United States while Hillary and Bill's daughter Chelsea were rushed backed to D.C. to see the body, which was placed in the East Wing and was awaiting a state funeral.

99o1av.png

HACf92.png

*this is cut from whole cloth, for the record.
**This is our proper POD. Oakar is never caught up in the banking scandal, meaning that she's never forced to resign from the platform drafting.

PREVIOUS INSTALLMENTS:

Vancouver Arsenal (I and II), CF San Francisco, CONCACAF Champions Cup Final, Cascadian National Team 2015, America Cup (Cuba 2016) I and II and III, England vs. America (WC 2018) I, II and III, Cascadian National Team Uniforms, Double Digit Scores, 2010 Premier Division Draft, Magnificent Seven (Part I, II, III, IV, V).

META: This is one very long writeup, so I tried to add a couple more boxes to break it up, but hopefully, it's worth reading it. Because it's got dirt and scandal. And it was fun writing.

FINDING DIRT

Gregor “Greg” Andervindt (born 18 August 1993) is a professional footballer who plays as a striker or as an attacking midfielder for French First League club Saint-Etienne and the Cascadian national team. He had previously played for Bordeaux, Nantes, Vancouver Arsenal, Citoyens Liege and Lausanne.

Greg Andervindt has prominently featured in Cascadia’s national youth teams before moving to the senior squad in 2015, and is currently the joint leading international goalscorer among active Cascadian players, alongside Devon de Vos. He has won the 2016 America Cup with Cascadia.

After his 2020 Europa Challenge win he along with older brother Mark joined an exclusive group of just six Cascadian players in history who had won a continental club title on two or more different continents. He has also commanded the record highest transfer fee paid for a Cascadian player in his move from Nantes to Saint-Etienne in 2020.

In 2021, he was nominated for Best North American player, but ultimately was awarded third place.

Assessment and Style of Play

An imposing and creative forward player, Andervindt possesses pace, strength, stamina, and a good sense of timing, backed by proven scoring ability with his head and his feet. Due to his powerful right-footed shot, he can score from distance, but excels particularly in the box.

Besides leading the attacking line, he has also played a large portion of his career as a second striker or advanced attacking midfielder, using his physical presence and tackling ability to win or recover the ball high up the pitch and provide for his strike partner.

His abrasive play style and competitive personality, however, have also left him with an unenviable disciplinary record on the pitch, which, when combined with numerous incidents off the field, have gained him a controversial reputation as volatile and sometimes unprofessional, something Andervindt himself had previously strongly denied.

He has variously been described as an honest team player who is both adaptable and hard-working by respected figures in the sport, but also sometimes characterized as disruptive and difficult to work with by some of his other teammates and coaches.

DyETwaj.png

Early Life and Youth Career

Greg Andervindt is from Vancouver, Cascadia, and grew up in family circumstances he described as “complicated”. He is the youngest of six siblings, born one year and two days after his brother Mark, a fellow Cascadia and Saint-Etienne player.

As a child he always dreamed of playing football professionally, and refused to focus on other goals in life, with poor academic performance at all grade levels. After playing in various youth clubs from the age of six, his dream came closer to fulfillment when he followed his older brother into the Van Metro program in 2003, a pattern that was to repeat many times in his life. He mostly played as an attacking midfielder during his youth years.

Club Career

2011-2014

In 2011, he was drafted by Vancouver Arsenal, starting his professional career with the club and making an immediate impression on the coaches and fans, appearing ninety times in the team colours and finding the back of the net thirty-nine times across all competitions in three seasons.

Despite focus on his obvious athleticism and scoring ability, his ball-winning and his firm play style were also noticed early. The infamous “Andervindt will break your leg” chant that Arsenal were fined for in 2014 did not, in the beginning, mention Mark (a dedicated ball-winning midfielder), but were centred on Greg alone, rhyming his name with “leg” in the original version. Despite the implication, Greg Andervindt had never seriously injured another player during his spell with Vancouver.

In 2013, he helped Arsenal win their first major title (the Denman Cup) since 2004, and built on it next year by winning the American Champions’ Cup, Andervindt rising above the San Francisco defenders to head in a stunning winner in extra time. At the end of that season, Vancouver Arsenal decided to cash in on the young player’s growing reputation and sold him to Citoyens Liege together with his brother.

2014-2017

Between 2014 and 2017, excluding a half-season loan to Lausanne in 2015, Andervindt toiled in the French Second Division, featuring as the attacking half of a central midfield pair, scoring twelve goals in the league and eighteen in cup competitions. Liege reached the quarter-finals of both the French Cup and the League Cup in 2016, and won the Walloon Cup in 2017.

In 2017, he was sold to Bordeaux, who had finished fourth in the French First League the previous year.

2017-2018

The 2017-2018 season was a standout one for Andervindt, then 24, who played in support of Bordeaux’s centre-forward Safir Mehmedi, creating ten assists and scoring fourteen times in the league (including two penalties), three of which came against his brother’s Saint-Etienne side. He also got on the score-sheet in each of Bordeaux’s other competitions, including a brace against Malmo in the Champion’s Cup.

2018-2019

In 2018, after Cascadia’s elimination by England in the round of 16, upset at having multiple refereeing decision go against him during the game, Andervindt gave an angry interview to the French channel UltraSport explaining his grievances in explicit language. He was fined for this by the Cascadian FA.

“That set the tone for the rest of the year,” said Andervindt later. “I was angry since summer, and stayed angry through the year. I let that affect my football, and for that I apologize, most of all to my teammates in Bordeaux, who suffered for my bad decisions.”

After the Saint-Clair incident, which led to him being interviewed by the police, Greg Andervindt played erratically, tackling clumsily and getting into altercations with referees and opposing players. In October, he was still searching for his first league goal, when he picked up his fifth yellow card of the season, leading to his first game suspension. This was soon followed by two yellow cards in one game, then another four spread out over the weeks before December. Coming back from a ban for the last league appearance before the new year, he received a straight red twenty minutes into the match.

At the time he had scored once and set up three goals for his teammates, an insufficient return which led to him being dropped by the manager. A further setback followed in the winter of 2019, with the tragedy involving Andervindt’s friend Petra Sosnowiak, which reportedly left him devastated. Although his disciplinary record improved over the second half of the season, he made relatively few appearances and scored only once more in the league and twice in the French Cup.

His agent dropped him in April 2019. He found a new agent in Paul Kallemeyn, who also represents former Cascadian trainees Stephane Ansermin and Mark Andervindt. Kallemeyn ordered him to stop talking to the press and took over all negotiations with the club, as a result of which he informed Greg that he likely had no future in Bordeaux, and started looking for a move. In summer 2019, Greg Andervindt joined Nantes, in exchange for central defender Jean-Ange Bassole.

2019-2021

Andervindt made a steady start in Nantes, and although he was still foul-prone, his scoring record offset the risk. After ten goals in all competitions, it looked like the forward found his pace again. In the midseason transfer window, however, he was sought after by Saint-Etienne, who were looking for a striker to lead the Europa Challenge race. As Andervindt was not cup-tied, familiar with French football, and seemingly returning to form, he seemed like a good choice. Nantes, however, were quite happy with his contribution and stalled on selling him until the last day of the transfer period, finally agreeing to let him leave for a record amount of money ever spent on a Cascadian player.

Sebastien Remond, Saint-Etienne’s manager, expressed confidence in his new purchase, saying “Greg is a good footballer, and a team player at heart. If I didn’t think that, I would have never made the move for him. He’s had a rough period but I am certain he’s working through it and will do well for us in the long term.”

Playing as the apex of a front three, Andervindt performed unselfishly in the new system and set up two of the three goals scored in the Europa Challenge final. Despite that, he continued to steadily accumulate cautions through the season. “That may be a constant concern with a player like Greg,” Remond said in summer 2020, “but if we manage it well, it’s not a problem.”

In 2020-2021, 27-year-old Andervindt surged to a personal-best season, scoring twenty two in the league and thirty four goals when including other competitions in a single year, also winning the French League Cup along the way and smashing in a penalty in the European Supercup against Libertas Madrid. This led to his nomination for Best American Player of the year.

1ygQc7E.png

Controversies and Personal Life

UltraSport Incident:

In 2018, Andervindt was sanctioned by the Cascadian FA for profanity on live television when asked by UltraSport to clarify if he thought that the refereeing decisions favoured England. He answered in the affirmative, adding some colourful phrases for emphasis. Since the interview was conducted in French, the scandal did not have a big impact in Cascadia at the time, but later resurfaced repeatedly. Andervindt had since apologized to the English FA and the Brazilian refereeing team.

Saint-Clair Incident:

Remy Saint-Clair, a French sports reporter and gossip columnist, accused Andervindt and three other players of physically assaulting him in September 2018 while out in Bordeaux’s club district. He later amended his accusations to state he was only reasonably frightened for his safety, and that the players had in fact only smashed his motorcycle. He later also clarified that the motorcycle was not smashed, but only tipped over the railing into the river.

As Saint-Clair misidentified all three of the people who were supposedly with Andervindt that night, his lawyers decided that the case was unlikely to be resolved successfully and advised a private settlement. Andervindt was quoted on the subject as saying, “I don’t know what he’s talking about, I wasn’t even there, but if I was he’d have had it coming. We’re not friends, so why is he following me? To find out where I go? It’s no secret where I go, but he’d better stay away from me.”

Saint-Clair later reported that his residence was vandalised by persons unknown, but no culprits were found and Andervindt dismissed any connection between the two events.

2018 Face of Cascadian Football:

In 2018, Greg Andervindt was selected by online voters across three major Cascadian sports publications as the most prominent Cascadian player, but a leak later revealed that the editorial team decided he was too controversial and didn’t show his country in the best light. They also considered a replacement in Mark Andervindt, who was seen as a positive role model if “incomprehensibly boring”, but Mark “refused to feature as the face of anything”. In the end, the editors went with Tim Loukanidis as the current face, and Leon Lee as the player of the future, against the online vote’s results. Greg Andervindt, upon learning of this, said that, “They’re all cowards. It should have been me. I am never speaking to them again if they don’t correct that.”

Despite lack of corrections, Andervindt has in fact spoken to Cascadian football press on many occasions since.

Sosnowiak Tragedy:

In January 2019, while Andervindt was in Cascadia for the holidays, paramedics were called to a party at his apartment in Bordeaux by his friend, the second-division footballer Tininho (Christian Maia), to attend to Petra Sosnowiak, Maia’s wife and Andervindt’s friend. Despite best efforts, she passed away in what was described as an unexpected medical reaction.

Andervindt later lashed out at a representative of the media, saying that, “You stand here and keep suggesting I know what happened, that someone is to blame for this, while the rest of us who actually care are hurting bad. If you ask me one more question like that, I will make you choke on that microphone.”

The tragedy took an even darker turn in June 2019, when Christian Maia’s car was hit by a truck as he was driving to work, leaving behind the couple’s two-year-old son Xavier. Greg Andervindt applied to adopt the child and completed the process by winter 2020.

Personal Life:

In January 2020 he moved to Saint-Etienne, where he shares a house with his brother Mark. He is a fan of winter sports and has gone for ski holidays both in France and at home in Cascadia.

In 2021, he agreed to talk to the Football Observer for the Magnificent Seven feature for the first time since 2019, but refused to answer questions on anything except football. He expressed a desire to one day play in Asia or Africa and win a continental title on yet another continent, becoming the first Cascadian player to do so.

XBdhLo8.png

International Career

Greg Andervindt made only three appearances for Cascadia’s U-17s before moving up a level. He has represented his country’s U-20 team in two CONCACAF campaigns, losing the finals against Panama and Mexico in 2011 and 2013 respectively. He has represented Cascadia at the U-20s World Cup twice, but Cascadia exited at group stage both times.

He appeared for the senior team in 2015, qualifying for the America Cup 2016 and making the final team selection. He started in the quarter-final after a personnel reshuffle by Rob Tarasenko, and took an early lead from a header. He missed his attempt in the penalty shoot-out but Cascadia progressed regardless. He appeared in the semi-final as a substitute, and proved a decisive addition to the final against Illinois, setting up a goal and scoring two. His three goals entered him into a six-way race for the tournament’s top scorer, which was in the end decided using assists as tie-breakers.

His participation in the Confederation Cup in 2017 proved lacklustre, and he was generally less effective than Michael Darmanin whom he substituted.

He was called up for WC 2018, scoring against Bulgaria in the group stages, and against England in the round of 16. After proving his scoring threat, he was tightly marked by English defenders and earned a yellow for physical play, being substituted before he could argue himself into a second caution. This led to the UltraSport interview incident.

He appeared again in the 2020 America Cup, scoring twice to keep pace with rival Devon de Vos as Cascadia earned a bronze.

He has a long-standing and less-than-friendly rivalry with Cascadian team-mate de Vos, the two strikers keeping even with each other in their race up the rankings of Cascadia’s highest scorers, both of them having surpassed Patrick Ng’s tally in 2020 and sitting only one behind Maurice Hamblin.

The presence of both in the team means that one of them must usually sit the game out, which led to de Vos remarking in 2017 that “Greg is a decent player, yes, but if he opens his mouth you’d think you’re dealing with a second Edgar Kielland. I think others deserve to have their chance ahead of him.”

Andervindt, for his part, said that “There are players who deserve to be ahead of me. Michael (Darmanin) started ahead of me on merit. That’s the end of that list. Devon isn’t even on that list,” and, again in 2019, “Devon should do the decent thing and just focus on his club football. I’m younger and will pass him eventually. He’s kidding himself if he thinks otherwise. Best do it now before he’s a washed up, embarrassing old man.”

This led de Vos to reply that, “If Greg thinks he’s better than me, he can prove it by scoring more. That’s how this works. He can’t win this on QuickThoughts, he has to win this on the field.” The striker also reportedly added that his rival was immature and needed a coach or a family member to hold his hand at all times instead of being an adult, but later denied saying it.

Despite the open media feud, the two have sometimes been in the same starting 11. Leon Lee, who played as a second striker behind both, refused to make comparisons and said, “Greg and Devon are my friends, my teammates, they’re both excellent players and I’m happy pairing with either. Dalton (Augerville) is another striker who compliments my playing style. When we have to, we all work well together.”

Florent Chasseur, the Cascadian head coach, shared the opinion that, “Having two such players at my disposal at the same time may seem a problem, but it’s a problem most American coaches would gladly welcome. They do bicker but they both score.”

In March 2021, Mark Andervindt, the new Cascadia captain, stated, “I should expect the problems we’ve had are all in the past now. Everyone is a professional and focused on making sure our nation’s flag flies proudly at the World Cup in 2022.”

Honours

Vancouver: Denman Cup 2013, CONCACAF Champions’ Cup 2014

Liege: Walloon Regional Cup 2017

Saint Etienne
: Europa Challenge, 2020, European Supercup 2020, French League Cup 2021

International: America Cup 2016; CONCACAF U-20 2011 (silver), 2013 (silver), America Cup 2020 (bronze)

Personal: American Player of the Year, third place (2021)

Last edited:
In the aftermath of the liberation of Taiwan Province by the People's Republic of China in 2052, various Chinese governments in exile have formed and continued to operate around the world. Riding a wave of negative sentiment towards Beijing, many of these movements initially gained support among overseas Chinese as well as various groups that had a bone to pick with the People's Republic. But, as the years have worn on, popular interest has decreased, and these organizations have had to rely on increasingly creative methods to survive.

One of the unexpected benefactors of Taiwan's reunification with the mainland has been the Guomindang. During its years in exile on the subtropical island, the KMT was forced to abandon many of its core principles as it awkwardly transitioned into an electoral party. Despite being by some measures the richest political party in the world (by totally legit methods, they swear) and a friendly Taiwanese media, the KMT made for poor parliamentarians. Their penchant for corruption and unwavering dedication to unpopular political ideals led them into terminal decline in the island's politics, with many predicting their imminent collapse as an organization. It was unsurprising, then, that KMT supporters welcomed the PLA as liberators, greeting the soldiers with waving flags and slogan-emblazoned banners.

Following reunification, the Chinese government repaid the KMT for its cooperation and loyalty, allowing it to operate openly on the mainland (under the benevolent guidance of the Communist Party). The KMT's presentation as a more nationalist-oriented, Confucian, and less bureaucratic version of the Communist Party won it an audience among the sociopathic elements of Chinese middle class and proletarian small business owners. Soon, recognizing the popularity of the KMT, the Communist Party began the process of rehabilitation of the Nationalists and their leaders, culminating in the opening of the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Museum in the former dictator's hometown. These moves, along with the formal formation of the Third United Front, allowed the party to run candidates for National People's Congress, becoming a loyal opposition to the Chinese Communist Party's government.

In addition to allowing the Chinese Communist government to free itself further from the ideological shackles of communism, the rehabilitation of the KMT allowed for the formation of a Beijing-approved, KMT-organized Republic of China government in exile based in Singapore. The government has predictably come under criticism as a front for Beijing and its interests, with revelations being reported in Singapore papers of government in exile leadership being members of the Church of China. But, for its part, the leadership continues to insist that it is an independent organization and the legitimate successor to the Republic of China, with President Tang Yijun recently declaring at a parade celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Cultural Revolution that he is "not a puppet".

One government-in-exile that is definitely not a puppet is the "Cai Cult". Organized by Cai Zhongshan, a self-renamed fanatical Australian-born Chinese nationalist, the self-declared Republic of China government in exile operated out of Singapore for decades, funding itself through extortion, human trafficking, and the sale of illicit drugs. But the Cai clique found itself on the wrong side of the Singapore regime, which it had long decried as "traitors to the Han race". Trying to strengthen its ties to Beijing, Singapore cracked down on the self-described fascists, with many of the organization's members being arrested and executed for harboring Muslims during the National Strengthening Campaign. Cai himself barely escaped, fleeing to Vietnam, where he found that the fiercely anti-China government was more than willing to give him and his movement support. While the local Chinese community was uninterested in working with him, Cai found energetic volunteers for his New National Revolutionary Army among various losers and Vietnamese nationalists eager to fight the hated Chinese, culminating in the bloody Cai Raids.

Much less violent is the Taiwan Government in Exile. Following the annexation of Taiwan by Beijing, the American government worked with the Taiwanese-American community to astroturf an opposition movement. The Free Taiwan movement, which gets most of its resources from the government-in-exile, seeks to establish Taiwan as an independent country. While it has few contacts in modern Taiwan, the movement has enthusiastic support from various useful idiots and CIA agents even as actual Taiwanese-Americans have mostly lost interest and/or assimilated. Originally based out of Seattle, the Government-in-Exile was forced to go further into exile during the outbreak of the Cascadia Rebellion, relocating to Berkeley and expressing hope that its closer proximity to large Taiwanese-American communities would help re-indigenize the increasingly white Free Taiwan movement.

With Western liberals and foreign intelligence services shifting their attention to Taiwan, the Free Tibet movement has struggled to maintain its relevance. Following the death of the 15th Dalai Lama, there was a major split within the movement, with ethnic Tibetan exiles supporting a more moderate candidate who advocated for better relations with Beijing in order to bridge the gap between Tibetan Buddhists within Tibet itself, who follow a Beijing-approved Dalai Lama based out of Lhasa, and the Tibetan diaspora. But more radical elements within the Tibetan Buddhist community now recognize a different, third Dalai Lama, with the English born Jigdral Gyatso advocating for nothing short of total independence for the Tibetan nation, where ethnic Tibetans are now a minority within their own homeland.

D1lal2i.png

The KMT's presentation as a more nationalist-oriented, Confucian, and less bureaucratic version of the Communist Party won it an audience among the sociopathic elements of Chinese middle class and proletarian small business owners. Soon, recognizing the popularity of the KMT, the Communist Party began the process of rehabilitation of the Nationalists and their leaders, culminating in the opening of the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Museum in the former dictator's hometown.

allowing the Chinese Communist government to free itself further from the ideological shackles of communism

The government has predictably come under criticism as a front for Beijing and its interests, with revelations being reported in Singapore papers of government in exile leadership being members of the Church of China. But, for its part, the leadership continues to insist that it is an independent organization and the legitimate successor to the Republic of China, with President Tang Yijun recently declaring at a parade celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Cultural Revolution that he is "not a puppet".

Originally based out of Seattle, the Government-in-Exile was forced to go further into exile during the outbreak of the Cascadia Rebellion, relocating to Berkeley and expressing hope that its closer proximity to large Taiwanese-American communities would help re-indigenize the increasingly white Free Taiwan movement.

Once again, you deliver the expected goods with some panache.

Nice.

Barry Llama declares Independent candidacy for President
CNN, 1/5/2016

Why haven't "Barry Llama" and Barack Obama been seen in the same room?
Fox News, 1/18/2016

Barry Llama reaches 15%, debates Clinton and Trump
MSNBC, 9/26/2016

Barry Llama wins election in shocking political upset!
New York Times, 11/8/2016

39Xuw7q.png

One of the unexpected benefactors of Taiwan's reunification with the mainland has been the Guomindang. During its years in exile on the subtropical island, the KMT was forced to abandon many of its core principles as it awkwardly transitioned into an electoral party. Despite being by some measures the richest political party in the world (by totally legit methods, they swear) and a friendly Taiwanese media, the KMT made for poor parliamentarians. Their penchant for corruption and unwavering dedication to unpopular political ideals led them into terminal decline in the island's politics, with many predicting their imminent collapse as an organization. It was unsurprising, then, that KMT supporters welcomed the PLA as liberators, greeting the soldiers with waving flags and slogan-emblazoned banners.

Following reunification, the Chinese government repaid the KMT for its cooperation and loyalty, allowing it to operate openly on the mainland (under the benevolent guidance of the Communist Party). The KMT's presentation as a more nationalist-oriented, Confucian, and less bureaucratic version of the Communist Party won it an audience among the sociopathic elements of Chinese middle class and proletarian small business owners. Soon, recognizing the popularity of the KMT, the Communist Party began the process of rehabilitation of the Nationalists and their leaders, culminating in the opening of the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Museum in the former dictator's hometown. These moves, along with the formal formation of the Third United Front, allowed the party to run candidates for National People's Congress, becoming a loyal opposition to the Chinese Communist Party's government.

In addition to allowing the Chinese Communist government to free itself further from the ideological shackles of communism, the rehabilitation of the KMT allowed for the formation of a Beijing-approved, KMT-organized Republic of China government in exile based in Singapore. The government has predictably come under criticism as a front for Beijing and its interests, with revelations being reported in Singapore papers of government in exile leadership being members of the Church of China. But, for its part, the leadership continues to insist that it is an independent organization and the legitimate successor to the Republic of China, with President Tang Yijun recently declaring at a parade celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Cultural Revolution that he is "not a puppet".

One government-in-exile that is definitely not a puppet is the "Cai Cult". Organized by Cai Zhongshan, a self-renamed fanatical Australian-born Chinese nationalist, the self-declared Republic of China government in exile operated out of Singapore for decades, funding itself through extortion, human trafficking, and the sale of illicit drugs. But the Cai clique found itself on the wrong side of the Singapore regime, which it had long decried as "traitors to the Han race". Trying to strengthen its ties to Beijing, Singapore cracked down on the self-described fascists, with many of the organization's members being arrested and executed for harboring Muslims during the National Strengthening Campaign. Cai himself barely escaped, fleeing to Vietnam, where he found that the fiercely anti-China government was more than willing to give him and his movement support. While the local Chinese community was uninterested in working with him, Cai found energetic volunteers for his New National Revolutionary Army among various losers and Vietnamese nationalists eager to fight the hated Chinese, culminating in the bloody Cai Raids.

Much less violent is the Taiwan Government in Exile. Following the annexation of Taiwan by Beijing, the American government worked with the Taiwanese-American community to astroturf an opposition movement. The Free Taiwan movement, which gets most of its resources from the government-in-exile, seeks to establish Taiwan as an independent country. While it has few contacts in modern Taiwan, the movement has enthusiastic support from various useful idiots and CIA agents even as actual Taiwanese-Americans have mostly lost interest and/or assimilated. Originally based out of Seattle, the Government-in-Exile was forced to go further into exile during the outbreak of the Cascadia Rebellion, relocating to Berkeley and expressing hope that its closer proximity to large Taiwanese-American communities would help re-indigenize the increasingly white Free Taiwan movement.

With Western liberals and foreign intelligence services shifting their attention to Taiwan, the Free Tibet movement has struggled to maintain its relevance. Following the death of the 15th Dalai Lama, there was a major split within the movement, with ethnic Tibetan exiles supporting a more moderate candidate who advocated for better relations with Beijing in order to bridge the gap between Tibetan Buddhists within Tibet itself, who follow a Beijing-approved Dalai Lama based out of Lhasa, and the Tibetan diaspora. But more radical elements within the Tibetan Buddhist community now recognize a different, third Dalai Lama, with the English born Jigdral Gyatso advocating for nothing short of total independence for the Tibetan nation, where ethnic Tibetans are now a minority within their own homeland.

Incredible. I love it.

Asami

Banned
53Z5H0S.png

A slight change to computing history-- IBM did consider the Motorola 68000 for the IBM PC and the IBM PC/XT, but dismissed it in their partnership w/ Intel. In this universe, IBM decides to go Motorola, thus making the M68K the global standard for personal computers, since not only does IBM use it, but so does Apple (Macintosh, Macintosh 512K, etc.), Commodore (Amiga machines), and Atari (Atari ST).

I don't know from Parks and Rec, but don't you have to be a British or Commonwealth citizen to get a KBE?
I don't know how knighting works, but a joke on the show was some British royal knighting Ben. I suppose it's legal in the world of Parks and Rec.

Ivanka Trump as President....
I need to sit down.
Actually, here's an idea for a box: Ivanka as First Lady.

Get your mind out of the gutter, that's not what I'm talking about. There is precedent of a President's daughter, sister, niece, etc. holding the office. Now generally, this is because the President is single, but there Ain't No Rule.

Now keep in mind that...

A: The Donald has stated that he intends to give his children positions in his administration.

B: Melania has stated that she intends to continue living in Trump Tower in order to focus on raising Barron. This basically precludes her from serving as hostess of the White House, which is the First Lady's primary job.

It makes a certain kind of logic, therefore, for Ivanka to do the job her stepmother isn't interested in, no?

Last edited:
Election.png

(Based on my Byzantine-inspired fictional world)

The Oligarchy of Mattania faced an surprising election in 620, between the rival Patrichate and Demogate parties. The story of this landslide victory can be traced back to 603, when the Archon before Calasus, known as Isachymeres Charax warred to the west, against the Empire of Eudaemia, Mattania's nemesis. The general was too prideful, and in the dark of night, his army was ambushed by the Eudaemian army in full force. Completly demoralized, the army was swiftly crushed. Charax was captured alive, but not executed or even touched by the Eudaemians.
Instead, he was presented to the highest officers in the army, with the general of the army forcing the leader to lie on his knees. And in an act of mortification, the general used Charax as a stepping stone to get on his horse. To remind the Mattanians of this shame, the general had all the witnesses of the event blinded so the last thing they saw was the shame brought by their leader.

Charax was then sent back to Eturis, the capital of the Oligarchy, to the shame of the entire realm. His title, holdings, and family were stripped from him and Charax was publicly lynched by the church in recognition of this blasphemy against god. He was then quickly flogged for his treachery in the name of the gods. In this emergency, the young Calacus Oronas was declared dictator, and oversaw the period of Mattania known as the "Paralyzed Decade" in which the Oligarchy was sent into internal crisis, and a time where even the military threatened to overthrow the Oligarchy.

Almost two decades later, and the people are tired of the state of Mattania. This led to a charismatic politician known as Elarius Ionus rising to prominance in the Demogate party, and his immediate victory in 620. The Demogates promised a revanchist attitude against the Eudaemians, and their ultimate annihilation.

Actually, here's an idea for a box: Ivanka as First Lady.

Get your mind out of the gutter, that's not what I'm talking about. There is precedent of a President's daughter, sister, niece, etc. holding the office. Now generally, this is because the President is single, but there Ain't No Rule.

Now keep in mind that...

A: The Donald has stated that he intends to give his children positions in his administration.

B: Melania has stated that she intends to continue living in Trump Tower in order to focus on raising Barron. This basically precludes her from serving as hostess of the White House, which is the First Lady's primary job.

It makes a certain kind of logic, therefore, for Ivanka to do the job her stepmother isn't interested in, no?
I mean, is the title something you can just give to someone else while the actual wife is still alive? It's not like the President just declares one First Lady.

I mean, is the title something you can just give to someone else while the actual wife is still alive? It's not like the President just declares one First Lady.

As far as I'm aware, the office of the First Lady is not established by statute and exists merely by social convention and executive privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.