2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN.COM Saturday April 4th 2009
Reed jokes on Leno "Vote for me, and I will give free dance lessons for everyone"
Former Ohio Governor Mike Reed appeared on Jay Leno last night, and joked about his famous you-tube video of him dancing to the 1980's hit "Come on Eileen".
"It was last year and at my daughter Eileen's 18th birthday party, we where all having a good time, although I may have had a couple to many buds by that point" he laughed.
Leno asked if he felt the video had helped him "yes in a may, people have started to listern within hours our campaign website crashed, people have been asking me about my policy's as well, well I pledge tonight, vote for me, and I will give free dance lessons for everyone".
Reed gave a funny performance, coming across as a natural ordindary guy, and this on this performance and the video it has helped boost his profile.

Last edited:
Foxnews.com, Sunday April 5th

Skinner Snubs Angers CPAC Membership

The decision of up and coming prospective Republican Presidential nominee Matthew Skinner to skip this weekends CPAC meeting in Washington has met with criticism from a number of prominent Republicans.

First, talk show host Nash Rockford slated Skinner. “This shows that in spite of his protestations to the contrary that he does not see himself as a true conservative but as some sort of Democrat Lite who will happily sell out our values."

He was later joined by former Texas GOP Chairman Davis Roberts who said “I’m extremely disappointed by Congressman Skinner’s decision. We feel that this was an opportunity for him to address the concerns that many of our members have with his candidacy.”

Finally, one of his primary opponents Edward Pratt, the former Governor of Tennessee, attacked Skinner as “out of touch with the views of the conservative movement, his refusal to attend should show conservatives everywhere that they will need to look elsewhere for a candidate who represents their values.”

Last edited:
Townhall.com, Sunday April 5th

C-PAC Round Up

Helen Arthur Reviews Key Points of CPAC convention.

Day 1:

The convention started with speeches from a number of high profile speakers. Most notable was former RNC chairman and Governor of Mississippi Stephen Hodder who spoke of the need for the party to approach the upcoming election season with a strong conservative message. “It’s clear the country has gone in the wrong direction. We have eighteen months to show why our ideas are both the best policies to solve our current problems but also to build a stronger future beyond them.”

He was later joined by Indiana Governor Stephen Kendrick, a former economist and CEO, who made an impassioned defence of free market capitalism. “I’ve heard people argue for more regulation and some argue for less. This is a false argument. We simply must have the right legislation, enough to protect the weakest in society but it’s vital that we have no more than that. The borrowing binge and the creation of organisations that have helped inflate this bubble has shown a failing of many; bankers, government but also us, we must all accept some responsibility if we are to ensure that the free market remains strong and continues to develop prosperity for all.”

Day 2:

The second day of the convention was dominated by the appearance of two of the top contenders for the 2008 Presidential nomination, Ray Sullivan and Glen Walken.
Walken outlined his credentials for President, talking about his thirty years of public service, his military service and his more recent experience in the private sector. He spoke passionately on foreign policy “we must help restore Kazakhstan to its previous state as a democratic and independent nation. To do this we must work with Russia and China to help them stand down their forces in the region. We can not withdraw until we meet the criteria laid out by Secretary Vinick.”

Governor Sullivan, who was introduced by former Senate Majority leader Jack Moseley, continued his ongoing attacks on President Santos, attacking his economic policies saying “The President has fundamentally failed to secure the economic future of this country, he’s built an eye-watering deficit, he’s taken control of our major banks yet can’t get them lending to good American businesses, he’s raised taxes and grown government at the fastest rate in half a century.”

Day 3:
The final day saw an appearance by former Tennessee Governor Edward Pratt who launched a strong attack on the moderate elements in the party saying that now is the time to restore the Conservative principles that so many Americans believe in.

“I became a Republican during the Lassiter revolution of the late eighties and early nineties. We built a wide coalition of voters by promoting a program of social values, strong national defence, and an unquestionable belief in the ideas of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

Finally, popular talk show host Nash Rockford took to the stage and wowed the crowd with his call to arms for what he described as “conservatives everywhere” to rise up and ensure we deliver a Conservative to the White House in 2010. “We must ensure that our principles of smaller government and strong social values lead this country into a stronger future.”

Last edited:
Politico.com, Sunday April 5th

Sullivan Wins CPAC Straw Poll

West Virgina Governor Ray Sullivan has won the straw poll at the 2009 Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC).
Of the 1852 votes, Sullivan received 518 votes (28%), Glen Walken finished a close second recording 488 votes (26%), Tennessee Governor Edward Pratt caused a big surprise beating former Speaker Jeff Haffley and General Nicholas Alexander to third place with 246 votes (13%) whilst Haffley picked up 241 (13%) and Alexander 204 (11%).

Ohio Governor Mike Reed picked up 64 (3%), Matthew Skinner, who controversially skipped the conference picked up 58 (3%). The remaining 33 votes were split across various candidates including former Michigan Governor Marcus Blakemore, who remains undeclared, former Lassiter Secretary of Defence Robert Kilner, who has ruled himself out, and Congressman Sam Wendt.

Last edited:
CNN.COM Monday April 6th 2009
General Alexander denies internet claims that he would take Vice-presidential spot
General Nicholas Alexander has totally denied claims that he is only looking to be vice-president or Sec of Defense in a Republican adminstration.
A memo reprting to be from the Alexander campaign has appeared on a Democratic supporting blog claiming that"The General would be very happy with second spot on a ticket with a candidate that suported his views of America, or Sec of Defense in a forward thinking Republican adminstration".
Alexander told another packed rally, this time in Dayton, Ohio "you may have read on-line today that I would be happy with second place, well I can you today, that I have never been second place in anything, I assure you all that I only wish to be your President, not Vice-President".
Afterwards Alexander told reporters "This report is complete and utter rubbish. I am running for President, not Vice-President or some other job. I think someone is causing mischief".

Last edited:
CNN.com, Monday April 6th

Santos Budget In Trouble

Over the weekend it has become clear that President Santos budget resolution is unlikely to pass the senate in its current form.

Reports on Friday had suggested a belief in the Santos camp that they had managed to convince the five senators they require to cross the aisle in order to ensure the budgets passing. However, in a meeting on Saturday it’s believed that the members of the so called “gang of six” are still not completely agreed that they can support the budget in its current format.

The key senators in the group are Tom Landis (R - DE), Mike Brace (R - NJ), Seth Randall (R - FL) and Caroline Dempsey (R - ME), Brent Harrison (R – WV) and Chris Carrick (R – ID) all of whom it is believed may be prepared to support the budget if certain parts of it are dropped.

Senate Majority Leader Robert Royce continued to voice his opposition to the budget resolution saying “We’ve outlined our plan. This budget requires a 1.5% spending reduction if we are to support it. So far we’ve not seen close to the kind of movement the country needs.”

If the budget does not pass this week it's unlikely to hit the April 15th deadline and will require a continuation.

BBC.com, Monday April 6th

GOP Wait On Blakemore Decision

Despite mounting speculation we are still no closer to knowing whether or not former Michigan Governor Marcus Blakemore intends to run for President.

The former Assistant National Security Advisor spent much of last week in the key early state of New Hampshire, but refused to confirm that he will join the field of Republican candidates seeking the nomination.

Blakemore, who served as Governor between 1999 and 2003, is believed to being advised by former White House Director of Legislative affairs Cliff Calley and former Lassiter Secretary of Defence Robert Kilner.

Last edited:
CNN.COM, Monday April 6th
"High-profile endorsements on Tuesday" say Skinner Campaign.
Congressman Matthew Skinner of Vermont had two very high-profile endorsements last week, but his Campaign Manager Mandy Hampton said "We will be holding an open air rally in the Congressman's home town of Windham, tommorrow, and you can expect some high-profile endoresements and a suprise or two".

MastersonReports.com, Monday April 6th

Polling w/c April 6th

Republican Primaries:

National

Sullivan 24%
Walken 21%
Alexander 16%
Skinner 14%
Haffley 10%
Pratt 10%
Reed 4%
Wendt 1%

Early States

Iowa

Walken 31%
Sullivan 21%
Alexander 14%
Haffley 10%
Skinner 7%

New Hampshire

Skinner 18%
Sullivan 18%
Alexander 14%
Walken 12%
Haffley 9%

Michigan

Sullivan 22%
Walken 21%
Skinner 15%
Alexander 13%
Reed 11%

Nevada

Sullivan 24%
Haffley 18%
Walken 17%
Skinner 12%
Alexander 11%

South Carolina

Sullivan 23%
Walken 21%
Alexander 17%
Skinner 13%
Haffley 11%

Florida

Alexander 22%
Walken 20%
Sullivan 20%
Skinner 14%
Haffley 9%

Politico.com, Monday April 6th

New Polls Show Sullivan Maintaining GOP Primary Lead

Polling released today by Masterson Reports showed 2006 Vice Presidential nominee Sullivan maintaining an overall lead over the rest of the Primary field, however, the rest of the field remains in a state of flux.

Former acting President Glen Walken is now in second place and trails Sullivan by around three points, he’s also established a strong lead in Iowa, where he won in 2006 and retains a strong organization.

The big loser in the poll is former speaker Jeff Haffley who seems to have been badly affected by Walken’s entry. Nationally, Haffley has dropped to fifth and may well be passed by former Tennessee Governor Edward Pratt in the next round of polling.

Another interesting dynamic has been created by the entry of General Nicholas Alexander. The former Chairman of the Joint Chief has hit the level of support for Congressman Matthew Skinner as the two appear to be fighting it out for the same constituency of voters.

Skinner will be pleased to see he is in a statistical tie with Governor Sullivan in New Hampshire, a state that will be absolutely vital to any hopes he has of securing the nomination.

New York Times, Monday, April 6, 2009
Berryhill Demands Democratic Debate

Former Secretary of State Lewis Berryhill, spotted jogging outside of his home in New York, gave an impromptu press conference to reporters Sunday morning. Berryhill announced his formation of an exploratory committee last week, but has otherwise remained out of the public eye, a far cry from the Republican hopefuls and their attempts at remaining in the headlines.

During the interviews, Berryhill expressed a desire to see some "real debate" from a "real party" (e.g. the Democratic Party). When reminded that he was only announced Democratic candidate, other than, presumably, the President, Berryhill said: "That's a shame. The American people deserve more choice, more options, and not to be bogged down by the hazards of incumbency."

When asked for comment, White House Communications Director Lou Thornton was quoted as saying, "While the White House respects Professor Berryhill's views, President Santos is determined to continue governing and will save any electioneering for the election season, not before."

CNN.COM Tuesday April 7th 2006
Skinner gets five massive backers for campaign
Congressman Matthew Skinner's presidential campaign today got a massive boost when he was endorsed by five high-profile Republicans at a rally in Skinner's home town of Windham, Vermont.
2002 presidential canidadtes Nebraska Governor Bill Daniel, and Nevada Senator Howard Western where joined by 2006 candidates, Louisina Governor Mick Johnson, Former Oregon Governor George Allard and probably the biggest shock Georgia Senator Max Lobell.
Governor Daniel told a crowd of 15,000 "Matt is my choice, he understands as I do, that our party must carry on the change started by Arnold Vinick in 2006 to win back the White House, we cannot not go back, we cannot win by just taking to ourselfs, we must understand all americans".
Govenor Johnson added "I do not believe we can win next year by only talking about god and guns, we need to understand America is changing, we need a candidate that understands this, and can show this to the american people".
Former Governor Allard who had been a front-runner in 2006 made it clear about Skinners homosexaulity "Personally it his business what he does in his own bedroom, we should be focused on what our party and country needs and that is Matt Skinner in the White House".
Nevada Senator Western who finished as runner-up to Robert Ritchie in 2002 in terms of primaries won and the number of delegates won said "Matt is not the Gay candidate, he the candidate for the american people" he also took a swipe at some of the other candidates in the race"I am fed up hearing about Conservative values, conservative this and Conservative that, although I class myselve as a Conservative, I am a Republican first and last, some in our party I think have forgotten this".
Senator Western will also be joining the Skinner campaign as "Chief Advisor".
Then in the biggest suprise Georgia's vertern Senator Max Lobell who has described himself as "a gun-totin redneck son-of-a bitch"in the past and had been seen a member of the Conservative right of the party took to the stage
"This party needs a President who understands America, as it is, not America as it was. A man who can appeal to the young single women working three jobs just to make ends meat, the solider serving in Gaza, the married couple who have just lost their life savings in a failed bank, too many people in the country see us as the un-caring party, the nasty party only interested in talking to itself, not the american people, we cannot go back. We need a nominee that is not a celebrity or a Republican just because it suits him, or someone who has failed, we need a leader, someone that appeals to everyone, gay, straight, rich, poor, black, hispanic, man or women, if you truly believe in the American dream, that everyone is created equal, then you must support Congressman Matthew Skinner, the next President of these United States of America".
Skinner thanked the five men and told the crowd "It shows my message is getting through, he doesn't matter and appealing just to the right of our own party, the Republican Party is at its best when it appeals to everyone by using Republican values and solutions to solve the country's problems".
For Skinner it is a massive lift for his campaign, espically with two Republicans from the deep South endorsing him, it is counteracting many of his opponents claims that he could win any support with the base of the party.

Last edited:
Well, Mr. Bunny, this is certainly a surprise. I realize that the West Wing universe is not our universe, but I have attended enough Republican county and state conventions in Texas to know that Congressman Skinner would not only not receive any endorsements from such gatherings, but would probably not even be welcomed to speak. The West Wing universe, or at least your version of it, appears to be a much more inclusive and tolerant place. As my Grandmother used to say when she wanted something to come to pass: "from your mouth to God's ear".
As you move forward, I would like to hear more about the policies of Walken and Berryhill. They seem to me to be the most "adult" of the candidates. Perhaps I just like John Goodman and William Devane, but I could see a debate between them as being as interesting as the Santos/Vinick debate.
I do not recall Matt Skinner ever being shown on West Wing. How do you picture him? What actor do you believe would be the best to portray him?

Thought this might make for an interesting sub-plot.

Politico.com, Tuesday April 7th

Seabourne Tapped For Senate Run

Speculation is increasing that the DNC are looking towards White House Deputy Chief of Staff Sam Seabourne to fill the California Senate seat that will be vacated by Senator Justine Avery who announced last month that she will be stepping down from the Senate next year.

With rumors that the Republicans already have Richard Lassiter, the son of the former President, lined up as there likely nominee it’s believed that the Democrats are aiming to find a high profile name to contest the seat.

The White House refused to comment on the rumor.

cnn.com, Tuesday April 7th

Walken Tours Bases in Kazakhstan

Presidential hopeful Glen Walken yesterday toured American bases in Kazakhstan as he continued his campaign for President.
Walken, traveling with Chairman of the Armed services committee Matt Hunt met with American commanders and later with the US Ambassador to the country Robert Lewis.

The former acting President took time at the end to talk with reporters “Our troops are engaged in one of the most vital conflicts we have ever been involved in, to say I that I value their service doesn’t cover the gratitude and respect that I, and all Americans have for them.”

Townhall.com, Tuesday April 7th

Pratt enjoys big day in Iowa

Former Tennessee Governor Edward Pratt is nothing if not outspoken, and he took what he called his “straight forward truth” out on the road yesterday, visiting schools and factories throughout the state of Iowa.

Pratt, who was joined on the trip by Kansas Senator Sam Wilkinson who endorsed the Governor in the morning and will serve as his Senate liaison, took the opportunity to take shots at Congressman Matthew Skinner and General Nicholas Alexander who he said “continue to try to make this election about pretty much anything other than issues and experience.”

55 year old Pratt ended the day with a rally in Des Moines where he outlined his vision of a 21st century conservative Presidency. “We need common sense conservative principles. We need to free people. We need free markets and a government that doesn’t want to burden them with taxes and regulation, but that does defend and protect our borders.”

Well, Mr. Bunny, this is certainly a surprise. I realize that the West Wing universe is not our universe, but I have attended enough Republican county and state conventions in Texas to know that Congressman Skinner would not only not receive any endorsements from such gatherings, but would probably not even be welcomed to speak. The West Wing universe, or at least your version of it, appears to be a much more inclusive and tolerant place. As my Grandmother used to say when she wanted something to come to pass: "from your mouth to God's ear".
As you move forward, I would like to hear more about the policies of Walken and Berryhill. They seem to me to be the most "adult" of the candidates. Perhaps I just like John Goodman and William Devane, but I could see a debate between them as being as interesting as the Santos/Vinick debate.
I do not recall Matt Skinner ever being shown on West Wing. How do you picture him? What actor do you believe would be the best to portray him?
Matt Skinner did appear in the West Wing he appeared as a small character in Series one and Two. He was shown as a gay republican in the series two epsiode "The Portland Trip". He was played by the gay actor Charley Lang.
I have attempted in part to he base the arugements regard the Republican party and the path it should take on what happended here in the UK, when David Cameron became leader of the Conservative Party. Should it only speak to its core voters, or go for change , a modern party, talking to all the people but using Conservative values in a modern setting.
In part I have Skinner like Cameron (although of course Cameron is not Gay), he had is own "social problem" in that he was seen by many as "too posh" , he went to the top private school, etc, and here in the UK, that does matter. In the end it didn't matter to people.

Last edited:
New York Times.com Wednesday April 8th
Wendt shocks with a "drunken"attack on all his oppenents
Congressman Sam Wendt was fast becoming the most intertaining part of this pre-election campaign, but today he over stepped the mark with a drunken attack on each of his opponents, at a press conference in Washington DC.
Congressman Wendt appeared over half-hour late, before launching into a drunken rant . It started when asked he was disapointed by the recent poll that shows him in last place "Personnaly I don't give a f**k" which drew grasps from reporters. "You guys seem happy to report about Sullivan, he doesn't seem to know what the hell he stands for, or Haffley who has no balls he had Bartlet over a barrell in 2003 and bottled it".
He carried on "Walken, he is only good for blowing things up, and Alexander he is no Republican". Mike Reed should "stick to making a jerk of himself on you tube" and Edward Pratt "A jumped up hick".
He saved the worst for fellow Congressman Matt Skinner "That faggot, has no chance, I hate him and what he stands for, I was wondering what happens if he made to the White House, then what they would his so-called "partner" , "the first faggot, I think".
Many reporters walked out at this point. Wednt's remarks where swiftly attacked by many in the Republican Party. The 2002 nominee Robert Ritchie who had attampted to get Wendt withdraw two weeks ago called the attacks "Offensive, and an insult. He must withdraw them now, and pull out of the race".
Even Rev Don Butler of the ACA said "How this man thinks he still has a chance of winning I do not know, he is joke but a danegerous joke, he must pull out now".
Congressman Matt Skinner long-term partner Iain Thompson who works in Vermont for local TV station , WFFF-TV part of the Fox Network, refused to comment.
Mandy Hampton, for the Skinner Campaign said "The Congressman will be making a full statement on Thursday".

Last edited:
Mr. Bunny,
I have a small, and, I hope, constructive bit of criticism. Even while drunk, I do not believe that an American politician would use "Britishisms" such as "you lot", "bollocks", "prat" or "twat"
So, translating into American, Congressman Wendt might have said: "You guys seem happy to report about Sullivan. . ."
"Haffey has no balls"
"making a fool (or jerk)of himself"
"jumped up hick"
I hope that we have seen the last of Sam Wendt. Even if he is entertaining, I think his little show is hurting GOP chances in 2010.

Mr. Hamilton,
Feel free to add an article or two to the thread. The collaboration and fleshing out of this "universe" is part of the fun and very entertaining.

I hope that we have seen the last of Sam Wendt. Even if he is entertaining, I think his little show is hurting GOP chances in 2010.

Drunk or not, the kind of comments Wendt has just made are career-destroying. Forget the presidency, he doesn't have a chance remaining in Congress, or politics in general.

I like the fleshing out of Skinner's background. That's something I've been wondering about for some time. Although it's a given that the political establishment will shun and strongly denounce him, it's a little sad that Wendt may have also moved up a percentage point or two in the polls (with some of the ultra-conservative right-wing siding with him now over Pratt or Walken on his comments alone).

disputed said:
Thought this might make for an interesting sub-plot.

Seaborn... etc.

It's very interesting, as long as we don't forget about it and Seaborn doesn't disappear for years (like the last time he ran for office).

Status
Not open for further replies.