Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

Lost a Scandiavian war and Sweden was annexed by Scandinavia and Finland holds Vyborg. Then Ottomans attacked and as i was down 4 loans and did not feel like taking another i tried to fight with 40k. And then Ming attacked and i forefitted that contest and sued for peace without fight. THen i fought the OE and lost. Ended up losing most of the territory i got from them and have no access to the black sea. My country is worn out. I think i wil restart.

Lost a Scandiavian war and Sweden was annexed by Scandinavia and Finland holds Vyborg. Then Ottomans attacked and as i was down 4 loans and did not feel like taking another i tried to fight with 40k. And then Ming attacked and i forefitted that contest and sued for peace without fight. THen i fought the OE and lost. Ended up losing most of the territory i got from them and have no access to the black sea. My country is worn out. I think i wil restart.

You shouldn't restart just because your country is in shit.

I had a game with France in which I got 2 coalitions kicking my ass from Germany to Portugal but I still kept going so that I could avenge myself and in the end I crushed all the little traitors and dissolved the HRE as vengeance.

You shouldn't restart just because your country is in shit.

I had a game with France in which I got 2 coalitions kicking my ass from Germany to Portugal but I still kept going so that I could avenge myself and in the end I crushed all the little traitors and dissolved the HRE as vengeance.

The Tsar is 50+ and the heir died in the conflict after i wanted to raise his military point to be a military point. I think i should have spent more mil points on modernising the army and not have the army that lost at Narva running around in the 1760s:)

I started the war with an army of 35k in Stockholm and another 14k at Nordkap and building a merc army of 30 k at St Petersburg(i gladly spend my money on mercs, they take less time to build). First battle with 40 k Danes vs 35 k Russians ended up with a few thousand danes lost and halv the Russian army. Russian navy was destroyed in the begining of the year. After four years i had rebuilt the armies 4-5 times, down 4 loans, no navy, losing everywere. My vasall Sweden was overrun and half of Finland. Also had to build a 15 k army in Siberia to deal with rebels. That army was defeated later. I had Åbo and it was surrounded and i threw in army after army and lost every time. It took Scandinavia a year to take the fortress and killing most of my armies.

B-29_Bomber

Banned
31340gx.jpg

The Second Roman Republic, restored after 1,321 years of imperial rule, has successfully restored her eastern borders as they were under House Komnenos in the 12th century and the Latin dogs have largely been expunged from the East, except for a single holdout in Crete.

Current Roman policy dictates a period of consolidation, including extensive conversion of her eastern lands back to the One True Faith and of centralizing control of her Italian holdings under Constantinople.

Rome's Neighbors:

Balkans

The Balkans are in constant strife, with Serbia and Hungary frequently butting heads.

Anatolia

Non-Roman Anatolia is dominated by the successor to the Seljuks, the Karamanids. However, their societal structure is dominated by the Turcoman Tribe and the Pastoral Economic structure. This combined by the fact that they occupy the poorer regions of Anatolia (and being cut off from Mediterranean trade) they are hardly a threat on their own. However, history has proven that if left alone the Turks will regain their strength and strike us when we are distracted.

The Levant

The Mamluks have begun to collapse in recent years, having lost control over the Hejaz and Northern Syria, they are no longer a direct threat to the Republic. However, with the rise of the new Syrian state we have gained a new friend in the region as they are Christian, albeit Chaldean. However, they are very vulnerable, being a Christian state dominated by Sunni Muslims.

Iberia

However, not all Muslims are our enemy, with the Granadan Emirate being a great ally in the West.

When your commanders die, do they always "die too soon without accomplishing much of note" or is there some insane threshold of achievement they need to overcome? Because I've had guys win multiple wars still die with that notice.

When your commanders die, do they always "die too soon without accomplishing much of note" or is there some insane threshold of achievement they need to overcome? Because I've had guys win multiple wars still die with that notice.
From what I can tell, leaders sometimes get bonus traits after winning a battle, and if they have one of these traits, the death message will be related to that, with the "died too soon without accomplishing much of note" message being used for leaders that never received any bonus traits. I'm not sure of the details on when the traits are given out, though. You do need to have Rights of Man in order to get the traits, however.

So I just lost (25) years of my MEIOU Austria game due to the save game bug where it decided to apparently save nothing, the backup being present but before I had my personal union with Hungary or managed to capture Venice, and the autosaves having been filled with a test running I was letting the AI run with a custom nation. I didn't even know this was something that could happen, or that it was a real issue going back at least a year and a half apparently, and now I'm paranoid that any progress I might make will now just be lost (Venice won't be hard to take if the Bohemian's exhaust themselves in a war again, but I'm almost certainly not going to get that PU with Hungary again).

Now I'm curious if it has happened to anyone here on the board, and if they ever managed to somehow recover those files; fairly certain its a lost cause, but I'd rather not do a full rollback if I can help it.

DTanza

Banned
From what I can tell, leaders sometimes get bonus traits after winning a battle, and if they have one of these traits, the death message will be related to that, with the "died too soon without accomplishing much of note" message being used for leaders that never received any bonus traits. I'm not sure of the details on when the traits are given out, though. You do need to have Rights of Man in order to get the traits, however.

It's weird when I have a general who's been in dozens of battles and who famously defeats a French army significantly larger than his and his death notice is "who's this douchebag?"

It's weird when I have a general who's been in dozens of battles and who famously defeats a French army significantly larger than his and his death notice is "who's this douchebag?"
My general saved the kingdom from a pretender, beat Morocco in a war, and conquered five different native American civilizations, and "didn't accomplish much of note".

DTanza

Banned
My general saved the kingdom from a pretender, beat Morocco in a war, and conquered five different native American civilizations, and "didn't accomplish much of note".

It's like one of those conquistadors who conquers half of Mexico but doesn't make it into the history books because Hernan Cortez sent them to handle the paperwork for Spanish administrators and historians thought that sounded boring.

It's like one of those conquistadors who conquers half of Mexico but doesn't make it into the history books because Hernan Cortez sent them to handle the paperwork for Spanish administrators and historians thought that sounded boring.
Jose Manuel Nunes Barretto is definitely getting in the history books, I named four provinces after him, one for each of his names.

So I managed to get back to where I was, but, uh, I'm just curious, for those who play MIEOU, how often does this happen?

w0KXnZZl.jpg

I checked, and apparently the Mamelukes converted into Israel, and despite facing numerous revolts, high unrest, and virtual complete autonomy throughout Egypt and Syria, they've held on.

So I managed to get back to where I was, but, uh, I'm just curious, for those who play MIEOU, how often does this happen?

w0KXnZZl.jpg

I checked, and apparently the Mamelukes converted into Israel, and despite facing numerous revolts, high unrest, and virtual complete autonomy throughout Egypt and Syria, they've held on.
...Well.
How does the religious map look?

...Well.
How does the religious map look?
Religious conversion takes a lot longer in MEIOU, so they have only managed to convert Jerusalem and what constitutes Gaza at this point, though there are numerous minorities, either by event or other conversion efforts.

Should I download MEIOU & Taxes?
Your game will be significantly slower as there is a lot more for the computer to calculate, but I've never been able to go back to the base game since playing it. More provinces, trade hubs, nations, events, plagues, etc. The only problem at the moment with it is that you have to be more careful in regards to the "Saving Bug" (so definitely no Ironman) as the threshold for that is a lot lower with more memory being required by the MOD; this means I often play twenty or thirty year stints before saving and restarting the game so as not to encounter it, though even then it can sometimes catch me unawares. They also haven't been updating it while working on their overhaul (MEIOU 2.0), which has caused some pathing issues for events; nothing game-breaking, but it does lead to weird quirks like leaders names not showing up in events or decisions.