Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

B-29_Bomber

Banned
Your game will be significantly slower as there is a lot more for the computer to calculate, but I've never been able to go back to the base game since playing it. More provinces, trade hubs, nations, events, plagues, etc. The only problem at the moment with it is that you have to be more careful in regards to the "Saving Bug" (so definitely no Ironman) as the threshold for that is a lot lower with more memory being required by the MOD; this means I often play twenty or thirty year stints before saving and restarting the game so as not to encounter it, though even then it can sometimes catch me unawares. They also haven't been updating it while working on their overhaul (MEIOU 2.0), which has caused some pathing issues for events; nothing game-breaking, but it does lead to weird quirks like leaders names not showing up in events or decisions.

Actually they have been updating it. They had released two or three major versions and a number of minor patches (they just released their fifth patch for 1.27/1.19.

playing as majapahit. year is 1451

already:

• fully annexed makassar, buton and luwu
  • went to war with sunda but it was with the "humiliate rival" casus belli so i could full annexed it. oh well, got all of it's money in the end
  • fabricating claim on kutai right now (thinking of taking some land and then vassalizing it)
what should i do after fully annexing sunda and vassalizing kutai (while taking some land from kutai as well?)

Kick
Does anyone know how to get Meiou and taxes + Veritas Et Fortitudo without going to the Paradox website. I have a pirated version of the game.

I second Arsonist's advice, but I would wait for next Steam / Paradox sale.
I want to buy the original, but I don't feel like blowing away hundreds of dollars on a game I already have. Are the sales for DLC significant in price reduction?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Does anyone know how to get Meiou and taxes + Veritas Et Fortitudo without going to the Paradox website. I have a pirated version of the game.
Solicitation of assistance in the commission of crime NOT allowed here. That includes software piracy.

This is a One Strike offense. You have just had yours. DO NOT repeat.

Kicked for a week.

Duuuuuude! First rule of pirating games: never mention you pirated the game! (Also just buy it on sale, since once you own it, you can get tech support for any glitches you encounter.)

Though, stepping away from that, I think this new expanision looks pretty cool, we need more stuff to do with China... Ming isn't fun anymore.

What are your favorite expansions?
Which of them do you recommend?

What would be an interesting thing to do with an Danish/Scandinavian-English personal union?

Anybody hyped for Meiou & Taxes 2.0? That overhaul might be so good at simulating that one could judge a tl on it being possible in the game at this point!

Quick question.
I'm thinking about purchasing another Paradox grand strategy game in the near future, as I've already been playing and enjoying Crusader Kings II. I'm erring toward EU4 after trying the Steam demo, but what do you guys think would be a good choice? Keep in mind, I'm still relatively new to the game style (my hours on CKII are in the single digits).

Quick question.
I'm thinking about purchasing another Paradox grand strategy game in the near future, as I've already been playing and enjoying Crusader Kings II. I'm erring toward EU4 after trying the Steam demo, but what do you guys think would be a good choice? Keep in mind, I'm still relatively new to the game style (my hours on CKII are in the single digits).
Many Paradox Games are a good choice.
I would recommend EU4, since it is possible to convert safe games from CKII to EU4. But there are large differences between both.
On the other hand, choose a paradox game from your preferred time period. For example, if you like the 19. century, try Victoria II. If you like the far future, try Stellaris, and if you like WW2 Hearts of Iron.
My personal favorites are CruscII and EU4. Stellaris needs several expansions in the future to gain more complexity. Victoria II was nice, but EU4 offers far more possibilities for alternate timelines. I'm not an expert for Hearts of Irons.

I would recommend EU4, since it is possible to convert safe games from CKII to EU4. But there are large differences between both.
On the other hand, choose a paradox game from your preferred time period. For example, if you like the 19. century, try Victoria II. If you like the far future, try Stellaris, and if you like WW2 Hearts of Iron.
My personal favorites are CruscII and EU4. Stellaris needs several expansions in the future to gain more complexity. Victoria II was nice, but EU4 offers far more possibilities for alternate timelines. I'm not an expert for Hearts of Irons.

Well, I like early modern history in general, so that covers much of EUIV, Victoria, and HoI. EUIV draws me because of its research, trade, and colonization features - the idea of building an empire through commerce and colonialism rather than conquest appeals to me greatly, not to mention the opportunity for alternate timelines.
I'll check out Victoria and HoI, though, see if there are demos on Steam.

Well, I like early modern history in general, so that covers much of EUIV, Victoria, and HoI. EUIV draws me because of its research, trade, and colonization features - the idea of building an empire through commerce and colonialism rather than conquest appeals to me greatly, not to mention the opportunity for alternate timelines.
I'll check out Victoria and HoI, though, see if there are demos on Steam.
Be aware that V2 is older so the UI is not as good as CK2 or EU4 and that HoI series is the most complex of the grand strategy games Paradox has so even coming from one of the others it might still surprise you.

Anybody hyped for Meiou & Taxes 2.0? That overhaul might be so good at simulating that one could judge a tl on it being possible in the game at this point!

IMO the hype train for M&T is more obnoxious than the one the was pulling No Man's Sky ... Specially those that consider it a near-heresy to prefer playing EU4 without mods

The issue with Victoria II is that its old as hell (even if it doesn't matter nearly as much for this genre of games as it otherwise would, but it still means that its way behind the ball on facilitating patch creativity and on UI creation / ease of access for needed numbers to analyse your choices), and there is presistent rumours that Victoria III is the next in-house game they're making for that reason ... HoI is IMO to straight-jacketed into a following a select path, and the unit composition complexity boggles my mind ... Stellaris while I recognize its good side, I feel they fell somewhat between the two chairs of Grand Strategy, and regular Turn-based Strategy (Master of Orion / Galatic Civilization etc), and when you get beyond the pseudo-realtime it have it doesn't really have a whole lot going for it that the others doesn't have as well, and it suffers somewhat from being too sandboxy by not being tied up on history, provoking comparisons and contractions to how OTL went.