Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

A friend of mine to play for Spain (Castile), and with his hand it was standard, but in the East it was different -
http://radikal.ru]http://s017.radikal.ru/i431/1612/4a/723cdf1c9a7a.png
[IMG]http://radikal.ru][img]http://s017.radikal.ru/i431/1612/4a/723cdf1c9a7a.png

Got EU IV on the latest Steam sale and installed today. I have a problem. I do not know what to do!!! I have not played EU before. How do i research? I started as Sweden in 1444 and want to build up a sum of money to build a bigger army than Denmark and declare independence. I have 9000 men, Denmark have more. I ended up in a war with Lithuania thanks to alliances and wanted to move my army to Estonia, but it had to march overlandthough Åland, Finland and into Novogorod to get there. How do i research? How do i build my trade?

Got EU IV on the latest Steam sale and installed today. I have a problem. I do not know what to do!!! I have not played EU before. How do i research? I started as Sweden in 1444 and want to build up a sum of money to build a bigger army than Denmark and declare independence. I have 9000 men, Denmark have more. I ended up in a war with Lithuania thanks to alliances and wanted to move my army to Estonia, but it had to march overlandthough Åland, Finland and into Novogorod to get there. How do i research? How do i build my trade?
You research by building up enough monarch points to buy the next level of tech. You can see how much you need by going to the technology tab and hovering over the progress bar below each of the tech types.

You build trade by assigning your merchants to the trade nodes that run through your nation. You can "push" trade flow to your home trade node, where your nation will either automatically collect trade income or collect at an increased rate with an assigned merchant.

Your merchants' performances will depend on your nation's strength in that trade node, which can be increased with Trade Node buildings, ownership of provinces within the trade node influence, Trade-related idea groups and technologies, patrols of light trade ships, etc.

I advise you to begin with the Ottoman Empire. It's strong enough so that you can get to learn the game without much danger of being annexed.

Sweden, at least from my experience on EU III, is design to be the unlucky guy until the 1600's (I spent most online game with a friend with negative stability until the 1600's. EVERY DAMN TIME I had 1 stability a damn comet appeared).

I advise you to begin with the Ottoman Empire. It's strong enough so that you can get to learn the game without much danger of being annexed.

Sweden, at least from my experience on EU III, is design to be the unlucky guy until the 1600's (I spent most online game with a friend with negative stability until the 1600's. EVERY DAMN TIME I had 1 stability a damn comet appeared).

Also an interesting choice to play is England, it allows you to choose to either be a great player in Europe's powerplays or ignore them and focus on the wider world.

So I have been playing with Brandenburg on the Veritas et Fortitudo mod that allows the game to begin in 1305.

f0m4Jw1.png

I just converted to Lutheranism, I can only become Prussia if my religion is Lutheran or Calvinist, I lost the Imperial Crown (Here the Crown of Bohemia is elective and it usually goes to the Emperor. I won the election 7 times and annex the guys per event), that I held since 1318 :'(, Sweden, a fellow Lutheran, is my ally as is Hungary. I'm going to vassalize Halych (the country against whom I'm fighting), they are full of cores on Kiev and Lithuania :biggrin:.

What you guys think of my Kingdom of Brandenburg, Bohemia, Prussia and Poland?

Also can anyone give me ideas of how to destroy France? Austria was guarantied by them but the Frenchies ran away when the all of Europe declared a Coalition War, lead by me:biggrin:, against them.

P.S. Forgot to add that I'm on a Highway to Religious War.

P.P.S - Shit Kiev and Lithuania are allied with Hungary :confused:

Last edited:
]Also can anyone give me ideas of how to destroy France? Austria was guarantied by them but the Frenchies ran away when the all of Europe declared a Coalition War, lead by me:biggrin:, against them.

Time and patience, once you hold a third of Greater Germany you can challenge them one-on-one, two thirds and it should be a cake-walk. Build up as much manpower as you can, use plenty of buildings. Split your forces in around five to nine armies of equal size with plenty of cannons or make some of them stronger and interleave them with some smaller ones. It's easier if all the armies are of equal size and composition. You form a perimetre at your border and push all at the same time, you don't advance with armies if they don't have one on each side or the sea. Push and when attacked move all your armies to fight the spearpoint, no matter how much attrition you would have in the long run. After the attack has been repelled you spread the armies again, trying to balance the ones with the most casualties next to the ones with less. Remember to use the provinces that you have occupied to change generals around while the armies are going through them and put them either in the strongest ones if you have to spare or use them to balance out the losses in the weaker ones. Always prioritize protecting the weaker armies from being wiped out as one or two eliminated will mean you'll have to retreat, probably definitively. If you lose a fight with all your armies combined retreat behind the your first line of fortifications, ideally the ones you captured from the enemy in the first place. Retreat to a bottleneck if possible. If you lose a fight with one of your armies then retreat all the armies you can until you are from border to border with a solid line of armies, try with all your might not to lose the closest line of fortifications.

I would tell that you abandon your strategy of eating away Lithuania as a primary goal (do it only when you are stuck with nothing left to mutilate inside the HRE) and focus on vassal-jumping to annex as much of the HRE as possible in the shortest time. Always have at least one, preferably two vassals of around three to five provinces and hopefully other cores (not claims, ignore your subjects claims except if they serve you to attack others, but don't grant land to your vassals that they don't have already cores in). The amount of infamy needed to archive this will get you to the edge of a coalition for a long time if not against a small enough coalition to be manageable. Always try to force religion on those smaller nations in the HRE you defeat as they will eventually be your vassals and it will thus serve you to avoid the headache of the converting the provinces and dealing with the penalty of vassal with wrong religion. Declare war, vassalize, force religion in all of those you can, wait for the infamy to cool down while improving the relations with your vassals and the most annoyed powerful nations which are at the brink of or in a coalition against you, annex your vassals, attack, repeat. If you have breathing room, attack outside of the HRE.

@Fox-Fire Thanks for the tips.

A problem, not a problem because is to increase realism, artillery is very expensive to keep. I have 8 regiments in my armies and I lose money if I put the upkeep to max, my armies are 12 inf, 2 cav and 2 art.

Right now I'm just planning to crush Lithuania and Kiev to ensure that my flanks are safe, Hungary broke the alliance so I have to destroy the Lithuanian-Kiev-Hungarian alliance. Also given the way the HRE is right now I'm waiting for the wars of Religion to crush my opposition in one go and to feed Augsburg and Trier.

A problem, not a problem because is to increase realism, artillery is very expensive to keep. I have 8 regiments in my armies and I lose money if I put the upkeep to max, my armies are 12 inf, 2 cav and 2 art.

I usually have around 10 infantry, 8 to 6 cavalry and 6 to 4 artillery. It makes my armies monsters. I have found out that that is the ideal balance. If not, you can always detach and create siege-armies and reinforcement-pursuer-armies.

Right now I'm just planning to crush Lithuania and Kiev to ensure that my flanks are safe, Hungary broke the alliance so I have to destroy the Lithuanian-Kiev-Hungarian alliance. Also given the way the HRE is right now I'm waiting for the wars of Religion to crush my opposition in one go and to feed Augsburg and Trier.

The idea abut your flanks is perfectly reasonable though Wars of religion won't come as soon as you might think, so be wary of that. Also, try to cut Sweden from pouring into the HRE's matters by taking the provinces of Holstein, Slesvig and Dithsmarschen (hopefully I wrote that right). Your allies are only useful until you can stab them in the back and take care of your own protection.

I usually have around 10 infantry, 8 to 6 cavalry and 6 to 4 artillery. It makes my armies monsters. I have found out that that is the ideal balance. If not, you can always detach and create siege-armies and reinforcement-pursuer-armies.

I usually keep 12 inf, 2-4 cav and 6-8 art but on the mod I'm playing the maintenance cost is modified so I can't keep much artillery on the army. Plus my inf as a +25% combat ability so I'm using it in larger numbers that I usually do.

The idea abut your flanks is perfectly reasonable though Wars of religion won't come as soon as you might think, so be wary of that. Also, try to cut Sweden from pouring into the HRE's matters by taking the provinces of Holstein, Slesvig and Dithsmarschen (hopefully I wrote that right). Your allies are only useful until you can stab them in the back and take care of your own protection.

My Swedish Alliance only exists because both of us hate Russia, France and England. I just saw their provinces of interest and they have no interest in the HRE other than Jutland, their interests lay in Russia.

@Karolus Rex , I'll be staring a campaign in 1305 in the Extended Timeline Mod as Veritas et Fortitudo doesn't support 1.9.X versions of the game and we'll see how our situations compare to each other.

@Karolus Rex , I'll be staring a campaign in 1305 in the Extended Timeline Mod as Veritas et Fortitudo doesn't support 1.9.X versions of the game and we'll see how our situations compare to each other.

This game is exellent for trying ISOT What IFs. just do the cheat for diplomacy, military and administravi point until you have it all before you begin you will have soldiers from 1800s with latest guns while your oponents have bow and swords in 1444. Off course, you will still have to wait for renenssiance and all that. So while your rivals are still trying to trade in Europe you can colonize around the world for a fraction of the cost and maybe fight a coalition or two

I am playing as Portugal. It is 1467 and i have almost the entire coast of west Africa. Soon i will take Brazil. Have cheated a bit, only cash, dip, mil, adm so i have military Tech from 1500s and spanish Squares. Had to go back in time becauce even with cheat to build big army i get rebellions so i have small army still

I've been trying, and failing, to find good playthroughs of this game to watch without much luck.

The trouble is, I don't like watching people who make loads of dumb mistakes or joke around too much (giving colonies silly names, and so on) but I also don't like players who just blob out beyond all plausibility.

Does anyone know of anyone who, either, plays tall (to mitigate blobbing out) or, ideally, cycles through different nations every decade or so?

So here is the continuation of my game:

H7Lo3Yb.png

The Holy Roman Empire is catholic because the protestant union was only 20 strong and I, and my 80000 men, represented half of the armies so I never dared to strike against the catholics, they had almost 50 countries.

The yellow thing blocking Lithuania from Hungary is my newest vassal and I also gained a PU with Saxe-Lauenburg and as you can see I have been feeding them.

I became Prussia, obviously, and got their ideas and traditions which are more army related than Brandenburgs so I'm happy with that and I elevated the Kingdom of Prussia to Empire of Prussia and now all Germanic cultures see me as their overlord apparently.

Also Sweden and me are still allies in hatting/fearing Russia/France.

Plus I finished my Prussian Church and this are the aspects I chose: Saints Accept Prayers (5% moral), Holy Sacraments (2,5% discipline) and Parish Registers (manpower recovery speed 10%).

EDIT:

So I did some more 35 years on the game and this is the world now:

KXI3XuN.png

Moldava and Wallachia are my vassals as are Kieve and Livonia. Transilvania is my ally and kind of Little Prussia in Hungary as I protect them.

Russia got its ass kick twice in 35 years and for the first time my finances are decent +18 per month with two advisers and 120000 men, six armies of 20000 (14 inf, 2 cav and 4 art). Sweden also got a PU with Scotland so england is being forced to keep a very large army and they lack large colonies and their navy is just decent.

Also I created a NAVY!!! 14 SHIPS or Galleys but it still counts right?

Also @Fox-Fire how is your game going?

Last edited:
So here is the continuation of my game:

H7Lo3Yb.png

The Holy Roman Empire is catholic because the protestant union was only 20 strong and I, and my 80000 men, represented half of the armies so I never dared to strike against the catholics, they had almost 50 countries.

The yellow thing blocking Lithuania from Hungary is my newest vassal and I also gained a PU with Saxe-Lauenburg and as you can see I have been feeding them.

I became Prussia, obviously, and got their ideas and traditions which are more army related than Brandenburgs so I'm happy with that and I elevated the Kingdom of Prussia to Empire of Prussia and now all Germanic cultures see me as their overlord apparently.

Also Sweden and me are still allies in hatting/fearing Russia/France.

Plus I finished my Prussian Church and this are the aspects I chose: Saints Accept Prayers (5% moral), Holy Sacraments (2,5% discipline) and Parish Registers (manpower recovery speed 10%).

EDIT:

So I did some more 35 years on the game and this is the world now:

KXI3XuN.png

Moldava and Wallachia are my vassals as are Kieve and Livonia. Transilvania is my ally and kind of Little Prussia in Hungary as I protect them.

Russia got its ass kick twice in 35 years and for the first time my finances are decent +18 per month with two advisers and 120000 men, six armies of 20000 (14 inf, 2 cav and 4 art). Sweden also got a PU with Scotland so england is being forced to keep a very large army and they lack large colonies and their navy is just decent.

Also I created a NAVY!!! 14 SHIPS or Galleys but it still counts right?

Also @Fox-Fire how is your game going?

I won the Great Nordic war as Russia with a start date a day after Narva. Sweden had one army led by Charles XII. THe war score was on Swedens side, the rest of the war was Russian. The Swedish army apperantly was home around Stockholm so i sent mighty stacks of 1-4 unit armies into Finland and then used my big armies to deal with Estonia and Riga. Charles moved to take back Finland and i backed away and then he went home. The war ended with the Russian armies stanting in the hexes around Bohuslän were Charles was but i wanted him to be the agressor so i could stand on defence. In the peace Riga became a separate nation, now a vassal of Russia(intention of anexing soon), Narva, Ingermanland and Reval Russian(but not two Swedish areas between Reval and Riga, big mistake from me) and Mecklenburg was also set free(intention of me to vassal and anex). Now to deal with the pesky rebels in Siberia. If Charles had come out to play and lost his army i think i could have anexed Sweden in the peace deal. Oh, and i gave Sweden some cash so that their inflation would grow

Wonder who i should take on next. Some of the minor nations near Crimea?

I am not good at peace deals. Made a peace with Kazaks and ended up with a area in the middle of the country with a corridor to my territory. Then another war with Sweden and unstoppable Charles XII. Lost my entire fleet but occupied most of Sweden, but Charles destroyed one of my armies. Ended up with Vyborg. Now to wait a year for the economy to get to 500 and begin building an army for Crimea. If i only could avoid OE to help them

Now i took on Sweden again and relased Finland, only the thing is that Åbo and areas closest to the Russian border are not included. Viborg sold for 30 credits so they would agree to be my vasall. Now i think Sweden is crippled since i joined a war between Denmark and Sweden and Denmark made a separate peace with Sweden and got Skåne. I also took the areas in the Baltics i left last time and 50 percent of their trade power. Lets hope i find a heir soon btw