Back Goes the Sand: Byzantine Victory at Hieromyax (Yarmouk)

Battle of Hieromyax
August 20, 636

As the Muslim armies prepared for attack, a sandstorm began. The Muslims at first welcomed this development as it was blowing into the Byzantine lines. As their army approached the Byzantines, however, the sandstorm suddenly changed course and began hitting the Muslim army. The Byzantines, seeing this, began mass bombarding the Muslim army with arrow fire. The sandstorm began to become harsher, eventually halting the Muslim army entirely.

Meanwhile, the Muslim cavalrymen that had been sent behind Byzantine lines the night before began to get worried as they could see the sandstorm blowing toward their allies. The main body of the Muslim cavalry were spotted by Byzantine skirmishers, who notified the main force who then brought enough infantry to bear to stop the Muslims.

When the sandstorm finally began to subside nearly an hour later, the Byzantines began a cavalry charge into the Muslim army. The Muslim army began falling back slowly in a defensive manner as they tried to stop the Cataphracts’ long swords. As the Byzantine cavalry began to retire the Muslims were faced with a mass infantry assault from the entire Byzantine line.

Blades crashed as the Muslim right flank began falling back quickly. The Muslim cavalry then joined the fray attacking the Byzantine left flank in an attempt to aid their right. Byzantine light cavalry and skirmishers then attacked the Muslim cavalry redirecting some of their attention. The Muslim right flank soon broke as the shear number of Byzantines overwhelmed them. The Muslim cavalry noticed and broke off, moving to protect the retreating soldiers and their left flank from being surrounded.

Things were not going any better for the Muslim left as Byzantine light infantry began to slowly envelop them from their far right. The Muslim commanders soon saw that their defeat was at hand and ordered a general retreat to Najd. The battle was over, the Byzantines had won.

AN
Alright, thanks for reading. I hope that this was at least somewhat believable as I'm no military strategist. I probably won't go into such detail of battle again in this timeline, unless requested. This is my first timeline, so please share any constructive criticisms you have. Thanks!

Battle of Hieromyax Results
Made a battle report like what's on Wikipedia. Then noticed a bunch of bad errors so I deleted the original post, here it is.
upload_2016-12-1_0-27-8.png

Last edited:
With the infatuation that this site has for Byzantium, I'm suprised that there hasn't been any Yarmork timelines, or much in the way of interest generally, for a POD which was argurably greatest in its history.

Subscribed.

Im pretty sure the byzantines dont have that much men... Probably around 80.000 max.

They just got out from a long war with persia after all...

Im pretty sure the byzantines dont have that much men... Probably around 80.000 max.

They just got out from a long war with persia after all...
80000 is still a too large a number... I would say 15000-30000 against a slightly smaller Arab army.
Yeah, I thought that as well when reading the stats on it. I imagine that the Byzantine numbers also include non-combatants. Like how a century had 80 fighting men. The thing is that I just don't think the Byzantines would inflate their numbers on record if their army got destroyed. Still though, I will change the numbers later today. Thanks for the feedback.

80000 is still a too large a number... I would say 15000-30000 against a slightly smaller Arab army.

i also thought it was around 25-30 thousand... But then i did some research and they say the Roman have around 100.000.... How do a 100000 men lost to 20.000 idk but hey that what wiki said (yes i know wiki is not that trustworthy)

i also thought it was around 25-30 thousand... But then i did some research and they say the Roman have around 100.000.... How do a 100000 men lost to 20.000 idk but hey that what wiki said (yes i know wiki is not that trustworthy)

It would be impossible for the ERE to field a 100000 men army even during Justinian, considering that everyone of them is a soldier. The battle was just 8 years after the Sassanid-Roman War the only way the ERE could field an army that size was if they conscripted every slave and beggar from Italy to Mesopotamia, but even if they went with a 100000 army how would an Emperor lead such a force? How would they feed it and equip it?

I bet that most of the time the 100000 numbers claim was just a clerk mistake in which they were copying a text and instead of writing 10000 they added a extra zero and didn't even noticed the mistake.

Modern estimates range from a low of 15,000. Likely it was only slightly larger than the Arab force, which is estimated at 15,000 to 20,000. So, maybe a max of 30-35,000 was the absolute maximum the byzantines could field given the situation after having just come out of an exhausting war. Certainly nowhere near 140,000.

Its what Roman and Arab sources said. But ancient sources are never that trustworthy on numbers and always inflate them. Part of this is probably because they may include camp followers and non combatants but also because they just tend to overinflate numbers. So a mix of both.

1) Treaty of Damascus
August 636

After the battle of Yarmouk, the victorious Byzantine army split back up into its five components and spread out amongst cities and fortifications in the Levant. Meanwhile, the Sassanid armies entered Mesopotamia. In the north, closer to Syria, they met little resistance and were able to rout the small Arab armies occupying the land. In the southern part of Mesopotamia, near the Persian Gulf, they met tougher resistance, and a stalemate near the Euphrates river.

September 636

Arab messengers are dispatched to the Byzantine city of Petra and the Sassanid capital of Ctesiphon to ask for peace negotiations. The Byzantine commander at Petra, Vahan, relays the message to Heraclius in Antioch along with an official battle report. The Sassanids delay for a few weeks in hope of improving their position. During this delay, a Sassanid army attacks an Arabian army half its size at Uballa, an important Persian port city on the Arvand Rud. In the battle that ensued, the numerically superior Persian forces were drawn into an ambush where nearly a quarter of their number was lost. The following day, a more conventional battle took place with nearly equal casualties and no change in the position of the armies. On the third day of the battle the Arab armies were able to push the Persian army back over the Euphrates. On the fourth and final day of the battle, the Persian army received reinforcements from the sea which surrounded the Arabian army and captured the city and port. The Arabian army was given a chance to surrender, but refused. The surrounded Arab army, despite being outnumbered nearly two to one was able to break through the Persian army and retreat into Najd. Following the battle, the Persians agree to make peace. The Arab delegates ask for all warring parties to meet in Damascus.

October 636

Persian, Byzantine, and Arab diplomats meet in Damascus. On the Byzantine side, Basileus Heraclius attended along with the Patriarch of Antioch, Macedonius, and the Byzantine field commander at Yarmouk, Vahan. The Persians had Shahanshah Yazdegerd III, the governor of Meshan and slew of bureaucrats. The Muslims had Caliph ʿUmar ibn Al-Khattāb, the son of Abu Bakr, Abdul-Rahman ibn Abi Bakr, and commander of Muslim forces in Mesopotamia Saʿd ibn Abī Waqqās. The Muslims came with a prepared treaty already made, causing some concern among the Byzantine and Persians about them dominating the peace talks. This however was to be unfounded as the Muslims offered generous terms of peace:

1. The Caliphate will return all tribute given to them in their offensive campaigns.

2. The Caliphate will pay 10,000 gold solidi to Byzantines and Persians for 10 years.

3. The Byzantines will have completely free trade in ports in the Red Sea and Yemen and trade protection in the Arabian Sea.

4. The Persians will have trade benefits in ports in the Persian Gulf and in Oman.

5. All parties agree to a five year truce.
Rumors would spread after the talks had completed that the Caliphate was going to offer Persia the entire former satrapy of Mazun. Unfortunately for the Persians, the Byzantines dominated the discussion, especially following their learning of the offensive made against the Muslims in September. After a mere few days of discussion on the treaty, the final treaty was signed on October 26, 636.

1. The Caliphate will return all tribute given to them in their offensive campaigns.

2. The Caliphate will pay 10,000 gold solidi to Byzantines and Sassanids for ten years.

3. The Caliphate will pay 50,000 gold solidi to Byzantines and Sassanids immediately.

4. The Caliphate will pay 5,000 gold solidi to the Ghassanid Kingdom for ten years.

5. The Byzantines will have completely free trade in ports in the Red Sea and Yemen and trade protection in the Arabian Sea.

6. The Sassanids will have trade benefits in ports in the Persian Gulf and in Oman.

7. The Caliphate will cede a port city at the Straits of Hormuz to the Sassanid Empire.

8. The Caliphate will treat Christians or Zoroastrians equally in their realm.

9. Muslims will be allowed to practice their beliefs peacefully and without persecution in the Byzantine and Sassanid Empires.

10. All parties agree to a ten year truce.
After the signing of the treaty all parties returned to their homes.

AN
That's the end of the wars. I've also changed the battle results from Yarmouk.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Muslims will try to spread the faith through missionary work into the two empires and elsewhere, or if they'll turn to africa and begin conquering along the coast.

I suggest you re-edit the figures again.Of a force out of 50,000,it's impossible that this is a decisive win if 17,500 are killed and twenty- thousand are wounded.There's no way any army,especially pre-modern ones would have suffered a seventy-five percent casualty rate without disintegrating.

Small niptips and questions:

Where is the Caliphate going to get three and a half tons of Gold?

Khasab was founded by the Portuguese on the 17th century so I doubt the Calipha can give what doesn't exists.

During the first century of Islam most Christians thought that they were just another Christian sect so why would the Byzantine Empire persecute them? Also in TTL Islam is still limited to Arabia so neither the Byzantines nor the Persians have Islamic populations so why the clause of freedom of religion?

Until the 17th century borders were organic things so I would advise you to take out the "The Caliphate will not send troops within ten miles of the Byzantine border", specially in the 7th century it would be hard to know where the Empire ended;

Also I just noticed the edited Battle casualties and numbers and by the way you write the battle the Romans keep a very steady battle line with good formation so where did all those casualties came from?

The Romans have quite the history of persecuting perceived heretical Christian sects...

First they do a Council to decide if their believes are in accordance with their believes and only then they begin the persecution...in this case I think that the Bishops would like to first see what Islam really is before declaring it a heresy.