Red Alert - Our 1953 USSR

Umm... wrong leader... and he was an infant/toddler.
Tsk tsk tsk, if only you knew...
1715470576218.jpeg

I mean people are already planning to win the Moon race.
We need an unified Soviet Space Agency for that. Put Korolev in front of the organization and subject all bureaus to a central space administration. This will be much more efficient than the system that the Soviets had OTL.

But if we want to use all the benefits of enlarging our commitement to the space race, we need to reduce red tape and the level of military secrecy placed on the technogies developed by the Soviet Space Program in partnership with the Soviet Armed Forces. The United States has a very clear partnership between Nasa, the Air Force and the Private sector.

We need our own version of that. The money we invest going to the moon can be astronomically more beneficial to the average citizen than building thousands of tanks to overhelm the Rhine River, but we need to allow the know-how to flow more efficiently. This will obviously reduce the effectiveness of our counterintelligence operations. The US will more quickly and effectively get a grip on our tech, but we can't continue to stiff the flow of information between the sectors of our economy or we will be bypassed in things like semiconductors.

Last edited:
What if we incite a targeted Red Scare over NASA? The uproar over that will surely make those Americans too busy yelling at themselves to progress in the race.

We should also look into creating a similar Area 51 location and fund counter weapons against US' spy planes.
What if we incite a targeted Red Scare over NASA? The uproar over that will surely make those Americans too busy yelling at themselves to progress in the race.
I also agree with @Fratsup, doing that is a very bad idea.

We should also look into creating a similar Area 51 location and fund counter weapons against US' spy planes.
First we need to invite the little green men....

Seriously now, we already must have a dozen secret bases for developement of experimental military technology. This concept isn't American only.

I don't think he said it out loud, not even in a secret speech.

By our own design his approach should be different than Kruschev's.

I agree, if he did that we would know it via protests in Georgia and USSR (Stalin was quite beloved figure and some people wanted past to stay in the past), unrest in Estern block and it would have been brought up on our meeting with Mao who criticized it otl. Stalin was a person that basically spread Communism across the world and set up an example to follow for some people, you cannot criticize him without getting criticized in return.

Zhukov probably just quietly rolled back most oppresive Stalins policies, allowed some private critique of Stalin without officially endorsing it, started gradually releasing and rehabilitating his political prisoners and acknowledged that some mistakes were indeed made, but leadership was good overall.

Generally you'll probably still see Stalins picture in Victory day march in USSR as well as across Communist world.

Nothing happened to the political opponents of Stalin between 1936 to 1938.
Actually, no - Stalinist propaganda claimed what happened, but stated that they were all saboteurs and spies. Another thing is that all their previous activities were hushed up. Occasionally in films about the Civil War, a certain “People's Commissar” is mentioned who interferes with the main characters - we are talking about Trotsky, who in those years was the People's Commissar for Military and Naval Affairs of the USSR, and in fact was the father of the Red Army. But you will never know this from Soviet fiction, and you will wonder why he was even appointed to this position. The most “Trotskyist” moment in Soviet cinema was in the film “October Days”, when during a meeting of the Central Committee of the party, Trotsky (which is not typical - one of the few moments when he is represented in person) says - “I was misunderstood. My point of view not to disagree with Lenin’s point of view. We must take power, this is indisputable. The only question is when.”, and the recognition of the fact that on that day Trotsky voted for an armed uprising (however, they like to embellish this point in fact, Lenin sought a unanimous vote, and the fact that Kamenev and Zinoviev stubbornly voted against, disappointing him).

General Secretary Zhukov's decision to hold Kim Il-sung accountable for his failure to win the Korean War represented a watershed moment in the complex tapestry of East Asian politics.
And all this was sucked out of thin air - direct interference in the affairs of the union state without any coordination with the actions of local politicians, or even with the PRC (since Mao claims leadership in East Asia). Moreover, instead of electing a member of the pro-Soviet faction or any other opposition, we forcibly dragged in a minor politician from a number of Kim Il Sung’s supporters - this is not even logical! Colleagues - let's study the material, because this makes me very angry!

Say @panpiotr how is the world reacting to the Great purge right now since Zhukov has revealed it to the world and how are people reacting to Stalin now
I don't think he said it out loud, not even in a secret speech.

By our own design his approach should be different than Kruschev's.
what @Kriss said -Zhukov probably just quietly rolled back most oppresive Stalins policies, allowed some private critique of Stalin without officially endorsing it, started gradually releasing and rehabilitating his political prisoners and acknowledged that some mistakes were indeed made, but leadership was good overall.

Generally you'll probably still see Stalins picture in Victory day march in USSR as well as across Communist world.

what @Kriss said -Zhukov probably just quietly rolled back most oppresive Stalins policies, allowed some private critique of Stalin without officially endorsing it, started gradually releasing and rehabilitating his political prisoners and acknowledged that some mistakes were indeed made, but leadership was good overall.

Yea, basically destalinization without explicitly saying it's destalinization under guise of reforms.

Generally reforms aimed at liberalization of Soviet society that allow for some critique of the party and by extension Stalins leadership. Reexamination of those imprisoned in Stalins time and if accusations are baseless their release and integration in society.

Acknowledging mistakes made by the Party during Stalins time and that he wasn't perfect leader, but also celebrating achievements in industrialization and victory in WW2 as well as spread of Communism and pivotal role Stalin played in fight against the fascism and survival of Soviet people.

Basically Soviet Union is going away from Stalins time without truly giving up on Stalin. We acknowledge the bad but still celebrate the good parts type of view.

A few things I can think of is gradual increase of nuclear weapons depending on our economy & budget for it and nuclear power plants with better safety & regulation.

Honestly, I'd like to do Thorium-based nuclear power plants eventually.

I do believe proper de-Stalinization will have to happen as our values continue to change and as our people demand more from us. At some point the reality of Stalin's failures and incompetence will be to well known to continue to fully venerate the guy and we will have to deal with it.
Please write down how from now on nuclear technology and power should be utilized by the USSR?
I have come around and agree we should have a nuclear arsenal to deter the US but we should still limit it and try to get some sort of deal as quickly as possible with the US to limit the amount we should all eventually have. Otherwise push for missile, submarine, and mobile nuclear delivery as a way to both make it easier to strike the US but also to make it more difficult to destroy our nuclear capabilities. Take the concept of constantly running trains that carry nuclear weapons on them and implement it.