Your Personal Pop Culture Utopia timeline

Deleted member 191087

Alrighty then, let me have a little crack at this thing then:

- Have Andrei Tarkovsky not shoot certain scenes from Stalker in Tallin, Estonia so that avoids getting cancer from abandoned hydropowe-plants there. More masterpieces from the Russian cinematic maestro, yay!

- Jodorowsky figures his shit out so that he can make that Dunes adaptation he always wanted to do in the 70s. Prepare to see a Dunes adaptation from the same crazy but brilliant mind that gave us The Holy Mountain, Santa Sangre, The Dance of Reality with music by Pink Floyd, set design by H.R. Giger among others, special effects by David O’Bannion and a cast that includes Orson Welles, Gloria Swanson, Mick Jagger and Salvador Dali among others.

- David Lynch gets the chance to make Ronnie Rocket at the cost of perhaps Wild At Heart being butterflied away.

- HBO’s Carnivale is a bigger hit with audiences than it was iotl so that it maybe can see it’s initially planned 6-seasoned run come to fruition.

- Have some animation studio be interested in perhaps adapting Naoki Urasawa’s phenomenonal manga 20th Century Boys into an anime series. Perhaps the same ones who adapted Naoki Urasawa’s other famous manga Monster. Genuinely think that if done particularly right, it could go down as one of the all time greats in anime and television in general.

And finally, last but not least: Have Xavier Renegade Angel be more popular and well liked by audiences so that it may get one or two more seasons.

And finally, last but not least: Have Xavier Renegade Angel be more popular and well liked by audiences so that it may get one or two more seasons.
How is that possible?
- Have some animation studio be interested in perhaps adapting Naoki Urasawa’s phenomenonal manga 20th Century Boys into an anime series. Perhaps the same ones who adapted Naoki Urasawa’s other famous manga Monster. Genuinely think that if done particularly right, it could go down as one of the all time greats in anime and television in general.
That'd be cool!

I'm reading something about the Show-ya:
Originally an intended to land them an American record deal, it sadly didn't happen leading to it being largely overlooked. It's a shame this backfired on the group, because big name American rock and metal bands like Cheap Trick and Cinderella gave the group songs to use in an attempt to give them a push needed to get into the American market.
This means they do not lose their contacts in America, and repeat the success that Loudness achieved.

On the other side:
Keiko Terada left because she felt the band's signature brand of metal became too mainstream
It set me up! Although considering that her solo projects are pop and soul... a strange explanation.

I thought about the possibility of preventing "glam metal". On the one hand, this phenomenon generally led to the mainstream media paying attention to metal. On the other hand... there was, as it were, some blurring of genres - in this environment there were also metal bands, but most were hard rock, and then a considerable number of pop-rock came, which American journalists (which, however, often happened in the future - nu-metal as some kind of fiction genre invented by the American press, and half of the gothic metal bands are considered like that only because the media said so - hello Evanescence ).

Hmm... anyway, the best I could come up with is that MTV doesn't invent genres.

Obviously.....

Ok, but instead of The Disney Channel, I'd call it "The D"(Disney), while keeping Disney Channel as a FAMILY-friendly channel.

You know, maybe instead of Disney X.D.(don't type it with the X and the D right next to each other, you'll get that emoji, and I'm getting quite sick of it...), maybe we keep Jetix, but as sort of a merger of the action and anime from Disney's channels and G4TechTV's programming.

Maybe keep the cartoon channel, but make it a basic cable channel.

Cool! So, would ABC launch a kids channel for the DiC stuff in the 90s? Maybe a revival of Kideo TV:

Nice. I can assume the same is said for Castle Rock Entertainment?

Oh...............

Ok.

Well, Futurama, Family Guy, The Simpsons, South Park and all those other shows could actually stay. If they owned Comedy Central, then Fox would have just put South Park on Comedy Central, allowing CC to become as successful as it has been. in fact, with all these Animation Domination cartoons combined with toons from MTV and Animation Domination High-Def, that will actually be enough to launch FXX much earlier, but under a different name. Perhaps Liquid Television?

And don't forget about the potential acquisitions, originals and anime.....

AWESOME!!!

AWESOME!

Also, will anime be popular IYTL?
Hey @Kuba24, now that you're back, will you answer these, or are you revamping this?

Hey @Kuba24, now that you're back, will you answer these, or are you revamping this?
I have thought about revamping it, but I'll go ahead

A Network would be launched for the DiC shows sometime in the Late 90s after Comcast buys CapCities. I originally had the Idea of that being Jetix, but I think it makes sense for it to go under the Kideo or even an earlier KidsCo (An International Network DiC had a hand in OTL) before being rebranded into Jetix around the time Comcast buys Disney.

I never thought about what would happen to Castle Rock in my timeline, My guess is that it stays independent a little longer before becoming a secondary label for Sony or Paramount

Anime gets exposed to a wider audience around the turn of the millennium, I toyed with the idea of a Turner-owned NBC having Toonami on as its SatAM block after retooling their Saturday Morning Block (NBC doesn't drop Saturday Morning Cartoons as they did in OTL), That and Sky gears itself as an edgier alternative to the other Networks, mostly targeting younger men. I could see Liquid Television airing on SKY. I admit it kinda contradicts what I said about South Park not being picked up by Murdoch-owned SKY and Comedy Central

I have thought about revamping it, but I'll go ahead
Ok. I could help if you're gonna revamp.
A Network would be launched for the DiC shows sometime in the Late 90s after Comcast buys CapCities. I originally had the Idea of that being Jetix, but I think it makes sense for it to go under the Kideo or even an earlier KidsCo (An International Network DiC had a hand in OTL) before being rebranded into Jetix around the time Comcast buys Disney.
Ok. Kideo works well, but who's gonna buyout International Family Entertainment ITTL?
I never thought about what would happen to Castle Rock in my timeline, My guess is that it stays independent a little longer before becoming a secondary label for Sony or Paramount
Perhaps Sony grabs it?
Anime gets exposed to a wider audience around the turn of the millennium,
Now you have my attention!
I toyed with the idea of a Turner-owned NBC having Toonami on as its SatAM block after retooling their Saturday Morning Block (NBC doesn't drop Saturday Morning Cartoons as they did in OTL),
What? But what about the censors? Honestly, it could be it's own cable channel at this point.
That and Sky gears itself as an edgier alternative to the other Networks, mostly targeting younger men. I could see Liquid Television airing on SKY. I admit it kinda contradicts what I said about South Park not being picked up by Murdoch-owned SKY and Comedy Central
Wait? I thought Sky was a broadcast network.

The Simpsons: Tapped Out released in 2011 and had 30 levels at launch.
Index:
Level 1: Simpson House ($100)
Level 2: Kwik-E-Mart ($200)
Level 4: Flanders House ($500)
Level 5: Cletus' Farm ($1100)
Level 7: Krusty Burger ($2200)
Level 8: Van Houten House ($3000)
Level 9: Springfield Elementary ($3700)
Level 10: Willie's Shack ($4500)
Level 11: Springfield Nuclear Power Plant ($5000)
Level 12: Bart's Treehouse ($6400)
Level 13: Springfield Library ($6500)
Level 14: Android's Dungeon ($7000)
Level 15: Krustylu Studios ($7200)
Level 16: Barney's Bowlarama ($7300)
Level 17: First Church of Springfield ($7500)
Level 18: Muntz House ($7600)
Level 19: Hibbert Family Practice ($7900)
Level 20: Moe's Tavern ($8000)
Level 21: Frink's House ($8300)
Level 22: Channel 6 ($8800)
Level 23: Police Station ($9100)
Level 24: School Bus ($9300)
Level 25: Springfield Penititiary ($9500)
Level 26: Krabappel Apartment ($9800)
Level 27: Retirement Castle ($10000)
Level 28: Burns Manor ($12000)
Level 29: Wiggum House ($13000)
Level 30: Town Hall ($15000)

This is for an ATL of mine, that I've been planning for a month or so now. While the POD I set up keeps fluctuating, it largely focuses about the late 4th and 5th generation of video gaming, with some minor alterations that came before and after that. There's also a few pop culture changes (I'm not touching to politics-related changes unless necessary). It's been inspired largely by ATLs like Player Two Start by @RySenkari and @Nivek (special shoutouts to them).

Here's a very rough outline of various changes that will occur ITTL. They are still a WIP of course;
-Nintendo goes through the idea of partnering with Netscape for the DD's online capabilities. However, floppy discs are still used (though they now can hold up to 240 MB of data rather than the 64 they did OTL). The hardware internals are mostly identical to OTL's. The DD is revealed at the same time as IOTL, expect it actually does release in November 1997 in Japan ITTL, with a North American release in March of 1998 and one in PAL region the following May. While this leads to Radnet being butterflied away, there are a lot more games for the add-on. It's nowhere near close to the PS1's sales, but also nowhere near the disaster it was IOTL.
-Sega of America vetoes Sega of Japan's decision for a surprise launch of the Saturn. OTL's launch was a complete dud and was a large factor in the Sega Saturn being a commercial failure in North America and PAL regions. ITTL, Saturnday goes through. While there were a host of issues at SOA and SOJ that prevented the Saturn from flourishing, I really think this little one will help it out, even if it's just a tiny bit.
- At one point ITTL, ShoPro acquires VIZ Communications (a company they helped funding IOTL) sooner than they did IOTL. Right-to-left becomes a standard popularized by Viz rather than Tokoypop. This also means that Shueisha entering in the picture in 2003 is butterflied away, as well as Shogakukan licenses staying with Viz generally. Also, countless anime and manga localizations either swap companies, come into the world or are butterflied away. This also butterflies 4Kids' acquisition of the Pokémon anime license.
-Sunsoft of America never invests on "some golf course in Palm Springs", which leads to their bankruptcy in February 1995 and partnership with Acclaim to be butterflied away.
-FOX Interactive is founded much sooner ITTL, after realizing the enormous success of video games based on their IP. Acclaim's Simpsons and Aliens games are butterflied away.
-Similarly, Mattel Interactive is also founded much sooner, say the late 1980s. This butterflies their partnership with Hi-Tech Expressions with the Barbie IP (and some of the games that came with it), and their acquisition of The Learning Company in 1998. Their publishing deals with THQ and Vivendi stay, however.
-The Virtual Boy relaunch of 1996 goes through ITTL, with Bound High!, Dragon Hopper, Zero Racers and many more games being released ITTL while they got cancelled at the last minute IOTL. This doesn't work, however, and the relaunch is a flop.
-FOX doesn't go forward with MMPR ITTL, leading to the departure of Margaret Loesch and the FOX-Saban relationship being not as strong as OTL. Saban goes pitch Galaxy Rangers to... you'll see.
-If MMPR doesn't exist, then neither does Warner Bros' newfound disdain for its success at the cost or timeslots for their own production on Fox Kids. In other words, ITTL, Kids' WB is not a thing, at least not for now.
-ITTL, the New-Style NES is released with compatible AV OUT cables from the get-go, the same ones used for the SNES, like the New Famicom did IOTL. This leads to slightly better sales numbers and extended support from Nintendo, stopping manufacturing in Q1 1997 rather than August 1995 like OTL.
-Horrified by both ToonMakers and DiC's pitches concerning Sailor Moon, and witnessing A.D. Vision, Manga Entertainment and Viz's recent successes to home video, Toei Animation enlists Cloverway to import Sailor Moon onto national television in the US, as faithful as can be. The Ocean Group in Vancouver is enlisted for the dubbing. Names are changed, Sailor Uranus and Neptune's romance is heavily toned down for unfortunately obvious reasons, and paint edits are needed, but it's a much better effort that DiC and OTL's Cloverway dubs.
- ITTL, Ocean also participates in the dubbling of Magic Knight Rayearth, helmed by Lacey Entertainment and Tokyo Movie Shinsha. IOTL, this never went through besides a pilot episode, but TMS pushes on due to Sailor Moon's success. The show ends up failing in ratings because of it and only half the dub would air in the US (Canada would get all episodes). It would however be successful with older audiences on home video. This also affects the localization of the Saturn game, with Working Designs using the localized names (something they narrowly avoided ITOL. If it wasn't for the show not being picked up in North America, the final English game would've used Lucy instead of Hikaru, etc).
-Nelvana never gets the Cardcaptor Sakura license ITTL.
-After the original 1995 Dragon Ball dub fails, FUNimation is revoked the license and it goes to Cloverway. And with its sole purpose withered away, they eventually ally with and later get acquired by Cloverway.
-Because of the shift from Fox Kids to Kids'WB never happening, The New Batman Adventures doesn't happen, the team instead focusing fully on Superman: TAS. Batman Beyond still gets greenlit, though.
- The Walt Disney Company buys 20% of Hearst's interest in ESPN ITTL when they acquire ABC.
-Sega of America doesn't hastily make the deal with McDonalds concerning Sonic 3, nor reach out to Micheal Jackson and co. This leads a feature-complete from the start Sonic the Hedgehog 3 without legal issues.
I have a few more on my mind, but I'll keep them for when I eventually finish and post my first draft.

This is for an ATL of mine, that I've been planning for a month or so now. While the POD I set up keeps fluctuating, it largely focuses about the late 4th and 5th generation of video gaming, with some minor alterations that came before and after that. There's also a few pop culture changes (I'm not touching to politics-related changes unless necessary). It's been inspired largely by ATLs like Player Two Start by @RySenkari and @Nivek (special shoutouts to them).
Really? Interesting........
Here's a very rough outline of various changes that will occur ITTL. They are still a WIP of course;
Ok.
-Nintendo goes through the idea of partnering with Netscape for the DD's online capabilities. However, floppy discs are still used (though they now can hold up to 240 MB of data rather than the 64 they did OTL). The hardware internals are mostly identical to OTL's. The DD is revealed at the same time as IOTL, expect it actually does release in November 1997 in Japan ITTL, with a North American release in March of 1998 and one in PAL region the following May. While this leads to Radnet being butterflied away, there are a lot more games for the add-on. It's nowhere near close to the PS1's sales, but also nowhere near the disaster it was IOTL.
So basically, the N64DD is a thing ITTL? And what's up with this whole Nintendo-Netscape partnership thing I keep hearing about?
-Sega of America vetoes Sega of Japan's decision for a surprise launch of the Saturn. OTL's launch was a complete dud and was a large factor in the Sega Saturn being a commercial failure in North America and PAL regions. ITTL, Saturnday goes through. While there were a host of issues at SOA and SOJ that prevented the Saturn from flourishing, I really think this little one will help it out, even if it's just a tiny bit.
Yeah, the sudden launch pretty much killed any potential the Saturn had. Maybe they could launch Sonic X-Treme here? That could help them.
- At one point ITTL, ShoPro acquires VIZ Communications (a company they helped funding IOTL) sooner than they did IOTL. Right-to-left becomes a standard popularized by Viz rather than Tokoypop.
Ok.
This also means that Shueisha entering in the picture in 2003 is butterflied away, as well as Shogakukan licenses staying with Viz generally.
Cool. Could Shueisha start their own anime licensing division? I have an idea.
Also, countless anime and manga localizations either swap companies, come into the world or are butterflied away.
Really? I want to see this BAD!
This also butterflies 4Kids' acquisition of the Pokémon anime license.
Oh crap, so then who acquires the Pokemon rights? Does Nintendo go to an major film studio for the rights? If so, that'd be HUGE!
-Sunsoft of America never invests on "some golf course in Palm Springs", which leads to their bankruptcy in February 1995 and partnership with Acclaim to be butterflied away.
-FOX Interactive is founded much sooner ITTL, after realizing the enormous success of video games based on their IP. Acclaim's Simpsons and Aliens games are butterflied away.
-Similarly, Mattel Interactive is also founded much sooner, say the late 1980s. This butterflies their partnership with Hi-Tech Expressions with the Barbie IP (and some of the games that came with it), and their acquisition of The Learning Company in 1998. Their publishing deals with THQ and Vivendi stay, however.
-The Virtual Boy relaunch of 1996 goes through ITTL, with Bound High!, Dragon Hopper, Zero Racers and many more games being released ITTL while they got cancelled at the last minute IOTL. This doesn't work, however, and the relaunch is a flop.
Ok, and the Virtual Boy as an 90s thing was pretty much doomed anyway, so that's something that could have been butterflied away and no one would bat an eye over.
-FOX doesn't go forward with MMPR ITTL, leading to the departure of Margaret Loesch and the FOX-Saban relationship being not as strong as OTL. Saban goes pitch Galaxy Rangers to... you'll see.
-If MMPR doesn't exist, then neither does Warner Bros' newfound disdain for its success at the cost or timeslots for their own production on Fox Kids. In other words, ITTL, Kids' WB is not a thing, at least not for now.
Oh, now THIS is a bigass butterfly, especially as an animation fan. Who does TTL's Power Rangers go to? Also, Kids' WB was literally started because The WB came into being. The best bet is to not have The WB exist, or have Paramount, WB, Tribune and Chris-Craft join forces and they get programming from somewhere else. But I do legitimatey wonder how much longer would Fox Kids be successful for ITTL.
-ITTL, the New-Style NES is released with compatible AV OUT cables from the get-go, the same ones used for the SNES, like the New Famicom did IOTL. This leads to slightly better sales numbers and extended support from Nintendo, stopping manufacturing in Q1 1997 rather than August 1995 like OTL.
Ok.
-Horrified by both ToonMakers and DiC's pitches concerning Sailor Moon, and witnessing A.D. Vision, Manga Entertainment and Viz's recent successes to home video, Toei Animation enlists Cloverway to import Sailor Moon onto national television in the US, as faithful as can be. The Ocean Group in Vancouver is enlisted for the dubbing. Names are changed, Sailor Uranus and Neptune's romance is heavily toned down for unfortunately obvious reasons, and paint edits are needed, but it's a much better effort that DiC and OTL's Cloverway dubs.
Why Cloverway didn't dub shows in English a lot earlier is something I want to know myself. Also, something else. What if Fox Kids picks up Sailor Moon full time in 1995 to compete with "Galaxy Rangers"? I mean, Fox Kids did air it once IOTL, and it did air on some local Fox stations either before or after school before or after Fox Kids' weekday blocks? I think SM would be huge for Fox Kids!
- ITTL, Ocean also participates in the dubbling of Magic Knight Rayearth, helmed by Lacey Entertainment and Tokyo Movie Shinsha. IOTL, this never went through besides a pilot episode, but TMS pushes on due to Sailor Moon's success. The show ends up failing in ratings because of it and only half the dub would air in the US (Canada would get all episodes). It would however be successful with older audiences on home video. This also affects the localization of the Saturn game, with Working Designs using the localized names (something they narrowly avoided ITOL. If it wasn't for the show not being picked up in North America, the final English game would've used Lucy instead of Hikaru, etc).
Damn, however, can I suggest something? Why not have Toonami pick it up some time later? That way, it won't be completely obscure and forgotten.
-Nelvana never gets the Cardcaptor Sakura license ITTL.
So then who gets it?
-After the original 1995 Dragon Ball dub fails, FUNimation is revoked the license and it goes to Cloverway. And with its sole purpose withered away, they eventually ally with and later get acquired by Cloverway.
Ok.
-Because of the shift from Fox Kids to Kids'WB never happening, The New Batman Adventures doesn't happen, the team instead focusing fully on Superman: TAS. Batman Beyond still gets greenlit, though.
Can the stuff from New Batman Adventures be merged into Batman: The Animated Series, making that show last longer?
- The Walt Disney Company buys 20% of Hearst's interest in ESPN ITTL when they acquire ABC.
I thought they already did that.......
-Sega of America doesn't hastily make the deal with McDonalds concerning Sonic 3, nor reach out to Micheal Jackson and co. This leads a feature-complete from the start Sonic the Hedgehog 3 without legal issues.
I don't get it.
I have a few more on my mind, but I'll keep them for when I eventually finish and post my first draft.
Ok.

Sorry it took so long @anchorman2k3, but I got busy with other stuff.

Really? Interesting........

Ok.

So basically, the N64DD is a thing ITTL? And what's up with this whole Nintendo-Netscape partnership thing I keep hearing about?
IOTL, Nintendo originally considered going to Netscape to power the 64DD's online capabilities (and add online multiplayer). However, they chose to forego this and went to Recruit, a Japanese company that specializes in networking, and that led to Radnet as we know it.
Yeah, the sudden launch pretty much killed any potential the Saturn had. Maybe they could launch Sonic X-Treme here? That could help them.
By technicality ITTL, Sonic X-Treme is the same game only in name, it's made by a studio other than Sega Technical Institute. I won't say which but they're based in America.

Cool. Could Shueisha start their own anime licensing division? I have an idea.
They don't start an anime division, but they do start a manga division after DBZ's success in the English-speaking world in the late 90s.
Really? I want to see this BAD!

Oh crap, so then who acquires the Pokemon rights? Does Nintendo go to an major film studio for the rights? If so, that'd be HUGE!
Sorry, they don't. It's a bit more down to earth, but I'm sure you'll like it.
Ok, and the Virtual Boy as an 90s thing was pretty much doomed anyway, so that's something that could have been butterflied away and no one would bat an eye over.
Fair lmao. I just wanted a reason to further sever Nintendo and Gunpei Yokoi's relationships. This leads to interesting development in the handheld sphere...
Oh, now THIS is a bigass butterfly, especially as an animation fan. Who does TTL's Power Rangers go to? Also, Kids' WB was literally started because The WB came into being. The best bet is to not have The WB exist, or have Paramount, WB, Tribune and Chris-Craft join forces and they get programming from somewhere else. But I do legitimatey wonder how much longer would Fox Kids be successful for ITTL.
As for Power Rangers, it'll go to an earlier iteration of Jetix. As for Kids' WB... you have a point. But Warner Bros. was still not happy with the treatment of their shows... I'll think of a compromise.
Ok.

Why Cloverway didn't dub shows in English a lot earlier is something I want to know myself. Also, something else. What if Fox Kids picks up Sailor Moon full time in 1995 to compete with "Galaxy Rangers"? I mean, Fox Kids did air it once IOTL, and it did air on some local Fox stations either before or after school before or after Fox Kids' weekday blocks? I think SM would be huge for Fox Kids!
Cloverway chose to lent dubbing and distribution to middle men because they saw they'd be more fit to deal with the US' boradcasting rules (I myself am unfamiliar with them). Fox Kids does pick Sailor Moon up.
Damn, however, can I suggest something? Why not have Toonami pick it up some time later? That way, it won't be completely obscure and forgotten.
I'll think about it.
So then who gets it?
ADV.
Ok.

Can the stuff from New Batman Adventures be merged into Batman: The Animated Series, making that show last longer?
It most likely will.
I thought they already did that.......
IOTL, Disney owns 80% of ESPN, with the remaining 20% to heart Corporation. This is an old carryover from ABC's contract (that 20% was originally to Nabisco of all companies).
I don't get it.
Sonic 3 was split in half during development because of the McDonalds deal. Also, Michael Jackson and his team worked on music for Sonic 3's original release (that was long a rumor, but until it was confirmed a year ago).
Ok.

Sorry it took so long @anchorman2k3, but I got busy with other stuff.
It's fine. BTW, thanks for the feedback.

By technicality ITTL, Sonic X-Treme is the same game only in name, it's made by a studio other than Sega Technical Institute. I won't say which but they're based in America.
May I presume Traveller's Tales is the studio in question?
They don't start an anime division, but they do start a manga division after DBZ's success in the English-speaking world in the late 90s.
Not a bad idea.
If it's not taken in by 4Kids, and if it's something he'll like, I guess it's from Streamline Pictures or something?
Fair lmao. I just wanted a reason to further sever Nintendo and Gunpei Yokoi's relationships. This leads to interesting development in the handheld sphere...
The fact that the Virtual Boy even got a revamp is surprising, since most gaming-centric TLs just wipe it away.
As for Power Rangers, it'll go to an earlier iteration of Jetix. As for Kids' WB... you have a point. But Warner Bros. was still not happy with the treatment of their shows... I'll think of a compromise.
Who founded Jetix in your timeline? And in the early 90s, no less? As for Kids WB, they can move their stuff to either Nick or CN, depending on how you handle Turner Entertainment.
Cloverway chose to lent dubbing and distribution to middle men because they saw they'd be more fit to deal with the US' boradcasting rules (I myself am unfamiliar with them). Fox Kids does pick Sailor Moon up.
I'm not sure why Cloverway would have middle men involved. However, Fox Kids picking up Sailor Moon would be a big help, especially in a block with no WB or Saban shows.
ADV dubbing Cardcaptor Sakura. Already an improvement.
It most likely will.
If The New Batman Adventures is merged into B:TAS, would the second season retain the first season's title? I can see "The Adventures of Batman and Robin" being the title for Season 3 in this timeline's regards.
IOTL, Disney owns 80% of ESPN, with the remaining 20% to heart Corporation. This is an old carryover from ABC's contract (that 20% was originally to Nabisco of all companies).
Nabisco owning a sports network. That just sounds counterintuitive on both fronts.
Sonic 3 was split in half during development because of the McDonalds deal. Also, Michael Jackson and his team worked on music for Sonic 3's original release (that was long a rumor, but until it was confirmed a year ago).
I'm both surprised and unsurprised that McDonalds was the cause of the Lock-On Technology.

May I presume Traveller's Tales is the studio in question?
TT is an European studio, not an American one.
Not a bad idea.

If it's not taken in by 4Kids, and if it's something he'll like, I guess it's from Streamline Pictures or something?
Streamline still stop being involved in new anime dub production come 1997 ITTL, like IOTL. ShoPro ismuch more hands-on with Pokémon ITTL too, so it goes with Viz. NOA collaborates on the localization, too.
The fact that the Virtual Boy even got a revamp is surprising, since most gaming-centric TLs just wipe it away.

Who founded Jetix in your timeline? And in the early 90s, no less? As for Kids WB, they can move their stuff to either Nick or CN, depending on how you handle Turner Entertainment.
ITTL, Jetix is a pitch from Saban to Disney, headed by Haim Saban, Shuki Levy and Margeret Loesch (previously at Fox). The House of Mouse relucantly accepts, but its action library quickly becomes a stable (no anime yet, you'll have to see for that...). This butterflies Toon Disney and the Odyssey Channel (since Loesch isn't around for that one).
I'm not sure why Cloverway would have middle men involved. However, Fox Kids picking up Sailor Moon would be a big help, especially in a block with no WB or Saban shows.
That's how it was IOTL for Cloverway IIRC (it's not like that ITTL as they are directly involved). Also Fox Kids will air Sailor Moon.
ADV dubbing Cardcaptor Sakura. Already an improvement.
There will be an edited version for US broadcast, and an unedited version for Canadian/UK broadcast and home media. Names might get changed in both
If The New Batman Adventures is merged into B:TAS, would the second season retain the first season's title? I can see "The Adventures of Batman and Robin" being the title for Season 3 in this timeline's regards.
That's how it is.
Nabisco owning a sports network. That just sounds counterintuitive on both fronts.
Shit was crazy back then lmao.
I'm both surprised and unsurprised that McDonalds was the cause of the Lock-On Technology.

Last edited:
TT is an European studio, not an American one.
Oh, I thought it was an American studio. Fair enough.
Streamline still stop being involved in new anime dub production come 1997 ITTL, like IOTL. ShoPro ismuch more hands-on with Pokémon ITTL too, so it goes with Viz. NOA collaborates on the localization, too.
Major win for the Pokemon anime.
ITTL, Jetix is a pitch from Saban to Disney, headed by Haim Saban, Shuki Levy and Margeret Loesch (previously at Fox). The House of Mouse relucantly accepts, but its action library quickly becomes a stable (no anime yet, you'll have to see for that...). This butterflies Toon Disney and the Odyssey Channel (since Loesch isn't around for that one).
So, is Jetix a programming block or a complete channel ITTL? In any case, I'd hope Saban's backcatalog of anime dubs could at least skirt the line of "no anime" at first. But I'd be happy to see why that is the case.
That's how it was IOTL for Cloverway IIRC (it's not like that ITTL as they are directly involved). Also Fox Kids will air Sailor Moon.
Something tells me Cloverway would be Fox Kids' new golden boy of a studio in the late-90s.
There will be an edited version for broadcast, and an unedited version for broadcast. Names might get changed in both
I'll take it.
That's how it is.
Great!
Shit was crazy back then lmao.
True.

IOTL, Nintendo originally considered going to Netscape to power the 64DD's online capabilities (and add online multiplayer). However, they chose to forego this and went to Recruit, a Japanese company that specializes in networking, and that led to Radnet as we know it.
Really? This is interesting.........Perhaps Nintendo eventually sees how Netscape is beginning to decline and try to buy it? It would be pure irony to see Nintendo come out with the first "
Ok. I hope it's good.
Oh.........but an manga division sounds nice.

I'll think about it.

ADV.

It most likely will.

It's fine. BTW, thanks for the feedback.
So, is Jetix a programming block or a complete channel ITTL? In any case, I'd hope Saban's backcatalog of anime dubs could at least skirt the line of "no anime" at first. But I'd be happy to see why that is the case.
Something tells me Cloverway would be Fox Kids' new golden boy of a studio in the late-90s.
Cool ideas, but what are some other shows that are a part of Jetix's early years? Is it a block, or an whole channel?

What if Nintendo decided....
- to support the Game Boy Advance longer than in OTL and saw the DS as a "third string to their bow", and
- to release a new Super Mario 2D-Jump'n'Run on the Game Boy Advance in 2004, after their releases of the four Super Mario Advance titles?

Here is my idea of a pretty cool new Super Mario 2D-Jump'n'Run-/Platformimg game:

Super Mario Land 3*: Wario's Revenge! is a 2D-Jump'n'Run-/Platformer, developed by Nintendo** and AlphaDream and published by Nintendo for the Game Boy Advance, released in autumn 2004.
The story of the game is that Wario, the antagonist in Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins for the Game Boy (1992/93), is searching for revenge after he was losing against his rival. Wario captured Princess Daisy and many Toads and let Mario know it with the words "MARIO! I am searching for REVENGE! Fight me again at my castle ... if you can even get there! BUAHAHAHA!!! P.S. I hold Princess Daisy in my custody! WARIO"
After the victory over Wario and the rescue of Daisy, the game shows a sequence in which Mario and Daisy leave the castle and go on a nearby hill. Then Daisy says "Thank You, Mario! But your adventure hasn't come to an end, yet. PEACH has been captured! By BOWSER!" Right after that, Bowser's evil laughter appears and his fortress falling from the sky and lands right on Wario's castle and completely destroys it. After that Bowser says "I trusted you, WARIO! But you reached failure!"
After the victory over Bowser and the rescue of Peach, the staff credits including introduction/naming of all enemies beforehand appear (Just like in the Donkey Kong Country games).

There are nine Worlds in the game, which all have no official name. Each world has a different number of levels, while the last level is always just the world's boss area.
World 1 (Green world) has 5 regular levels and the boss (Giant Goomba)
World 2 (Desert world) has 5 regular levels and the boss (Giant Shy Guy)
World 3 (Snow world) has 6 regular levels and the boss (a giant yeti, called Yeti Kong)
World 4 (Forest world) has 5 regular levels and the boss (Giant Flutter)
World 5 (Beach- and underwater world) has 4 regular levels and the boss (a giant star fish, called King Starfish)
World 6 (Mountainous world) has 5 regular levels and the boss (Mouser (yes, THAT Mouser from Super Mario Bros. 2 ;-) ))
World 7 (Sky world) has 3 regular levels and the boss (Giant Flame Chomp (with his children who are tougher than normal Flame Chomps))
World 8 (Jungle world) has 4 regular levels and the boss (Donkey Kong (yepp, THE Donkey Kong as we all know him^^))
World 9 (Spooky world) has 4 regular levels and the boss (Big Boo)

Each boss holds one more toad captured than the boss before, meaning Giant Goomba holds one Toad captured, and Big Boo holds 9 Toads captured, so that 45 Toads are captured in this game. Every time, Mario rescures new Toads, they will tell Mario that Princess Daisy has been captured by Wario, with a separate saying beforehand. And every time, the Toads fool around a bit (similar to the All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros.). Plus, everytime Mario rescues Toads, they give him one 1-Up mushroom.
The Toad of world 1 is the regular one with red dots and the blue vest. All other toads have the same dots- and vest color. There are ten different Toad colors in the game: red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, purple, pink, grey and brown. Which Toad gots which color, is random-based.

After rescuing Toad in world 1, he will appear on every world map from world 2 on and Mario can select a free power-up in Toad's House.
Also in every world, there is Toadette's House, in which Mario can play several mini-games to reach some 1-ups and world-specific extra hints from her.

After World 9, Mario can go to Wario's castle. Wario's castle is the third-hardest level in the game (while the second-hardest is 9-3), very long and challenging. At the end of the level, Wario is waiting in his throne room, where you can see Daisy in her cage in the background.
Bowser's fortess as the hardest level is twice as big as Wario's castle. In the middle of Bowser's fortress, Mario has to fight Bowser Jr. as a intermediate boss (He needs three hits).

For a 2004-Super Mario game, Super Mario Land 3: Wario's Revenge! is surprisingly difficult. The game's difficulty is somewhere between Super Mario Bros.: The lost Levels and Super Mario Bros. 3, but more in SMB3-direction.

Playable characters:
- Mario
- Luigi

Supporting characters:
- Yoshi
- Toad (from world 2 on)
- Toadette

List of enemies and bosses (for the enemies of more rarety I named the Game, in which the enemy debutet in square brackets, and after it - just for fun - the German names in this game (if different from English names)):
- Angry Sun [Super Mario Bros. 3] <Sengende Sonne>
- Attacky Sack [Yoshi's Story] <Attacko Sacko>
- Autobomb [Super Mario Bros. 2]
- Battle Beetle [Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins] <Kampfkäfer>
- Bero (here called as "Licker of Grief") [Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins] <Trauerschleck>
- Big Boo <Big-Buu>
- Blooper
- Bob-Omb
- Boo <Buu Huu>
- Bookend [Super Mario 64] <Vampuch>
- Boomerang Bro <Bumerang-Bruder>
- Bowser
- Bowser Jr.
- Bowser Statue
- Bully [Super Mario 64]
- Burt [Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island) <Xilebo>
- Buzzy Beetle <Käfer>
- Cheep-Cheep
- Chuck Guy [Mario&Luigi: Superstar Saga] <Savage Guy>
- Dancing Spear Guy [Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island] <Kanibalo Guy>
- Donkey Kong
- Dry Bones <Knochentrocken>
- Fire Bar <Feuer-Barriere>
- Fire Bro <Feuerbruder>
- Fire Piranha Plant <Feuer-Piranha>
- Fire Plant Statue (here called as "Stoney Giant Piranha") [Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins] <Steinerne Riesen-Piranha>
- Flame Chomp [Super Mario Bros. 3] <Feuerchomp>
- Flutter [Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island] <Flatter>
- Ghost Goomba [Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins] <Spuk-Gumba>
- Giant Flame Chomp [new enemy] <Riesen-Feuerchomp>
- Giant Flutter [new enemy] <Riesen-Flatter>
- Giant Goomba [new enemy] <Riesen-Gumba>
- Giant Shy Guy [new enemy] <Riesen-Shy Guy>
- Goomba <Gumba>
- Gusty [Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island]
- Hammer Bro <Hammerbruder>
- Hothead (here called as "Big Shine") [Super Mario World] <Großschein>
- Ice Bro [new enemy] <Eisbruder>
- Jumping Piranha Plant (in its pumpkin form only) (here called as "Jumpkin") [Super Mario World] <Springkürbis>
- King Starfish [new enemy] <König Seestern>
- Koopa Paratroopa (here called as "Para Koopa") <Para-Koopa>
- Koopa Troopa
- Lakitu
- Lava Bubble <Hot-Head>
- Lil Sparky (here called as "Lil Shine") [Super Mario World] <Kleinschein>
- Mechanical Fist (here called as "Fist of the W") [Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins] <Faust des W>
- Monty Mole <Monty Maulwurf>
- Mouser [Super Mario Bros. 2]
- Mr. Blizzard [Super Mario 64] <Herr Blizzard>
- Muncher <Schwarzer Muncher>
- Nipper Plant (here called as "Nipper") [Super Mario Bros. 3] <weißer Muncher>
- Piranha Plant <Piranha-Pflanze>
- Poison Mushroom [Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels] <Giftpilz>
- Pokey (both the yellow and green variant appear here)
- Propeller Piranha [Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island]
- Ptooie [Super Mario Bros. 3] <Flora Morgenstern>
- Puffer-Cheep [Mario&Luigi: Superstar Saga] <Puste-Cheep>
- Shy Guy
- Shy Guy on Pogo Stick (here called as "Scampy Guy") [Yoshi's Story] <Hoppel Guy>
- Sidestepper [Mario Bros. (1983)] <Krabbe>
- Snow Pokey (here called as "Snokey") [new enemy] <Snokey>
- Spark [Super Mario Bros. 2]
- Spike
- Spiny <Stachi>
- Spiny-Egg <Stachi-Ei>
- Stilt Guy (here called as "High Shy Guy") [Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island] <Stelzen-Guy>
- Swooper (here in its greenish color variant) <Flapp-Flapp>
- Sworm [Mario&Luigi: Superstar Saga] <Schwurm>
- Thwimp [Super Mario World]
- Thwomp
- Urchin [Super Mario World] <Aqua-Thwomp">
- Wario
- Wiggler
- Woozy Guy [Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island] <Salto Guy>

Gusty's sprite corresponds very closely to the one from Yoshi: Touch & Go.
Mr. Blizzard's sprite corresponds exactly to the one from Mario Party Advance
Mouser's sprite corresponds more to the colors of the artworks, meaning he is not more so greenish and orange, but more greyish and pinkish. Additionally Mouser's sprite got an actual mouth here.

Super Mario Land 4: Crystals of Order is developed by the same people and is released in early spring 2006, also for the Game Boy Advance.

Notes:
*= After Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins, Nintendo decided NOT to name the first Wario Land "Super Mario Land 3".
**= Developed not by the "first row"-developers of Nintendo, but by "second" or "third row"-developers.

Last edited:
What if Nintendo decided....
- to support the Game Boy Advance longer than in OTL and saw the DS as a "third string to their bow", and
- to release a new Super Mario 2D-Jump'n'Run on the Game Boy Advance in 2004, after their releases of the four Super Mario Advance titles?

Here is my idea of a pretty cool new Super Mario 2D-Jump'n'Run-/Platformimg game:

Super Mario Land 3*: Wario's Revenge! is a 2D-Jump'n'Run-/Platformer, developed by Nintendo** and AlphaDream and published by Nintendo for the Game Boy Advance, released in autumn 2004.
The story of the game is that Wario, the antagonist in Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins for the Game Boy (1992/93), is searching for revenge after he was losing against his rival. Wario captured Princess Daisy and many Toads and let Mario know it with the words "MARIO! I am searching for REVENGE! Fight me again at my castle ... if you can even get there! BUAHAHAHA!!! P.S. I hold Princess Daisy in my custody! WARIO"
After the victory over Wario and the rescue of Daisy, the game shows a sequence in which Mario and Daisy leave the castle and go on a nearby hill. Then Daisy says "Thank You, Mario! But your adventure hasn't come to an end, yet. PEACH has been captured! By BOWSER!" Right after that, Bowser's evil laughter appears and his fortress falling from the sky and lands right on Wario's castle and completely destroys it. After that Bowser says "I trusted you, WARIO! But you reached failure!"
After the victory over Bowser and the rescue of Peach, the staff credits including introduction/naming of all enemies beforehand appear (Just like in the Donkey Kong Country games).

There are nine Worlds in the game, which all have no official name. Each world has a different number of levels, while the last level is always just the world's boss area.
World 1 (Green world) has 5 regular levels and the boss (Giant Goomba)
World 2 (Desert world) has 5 regular levels and the boss (Giant Shy Guy)
World 3 (Snow world) has 6 regular levels and the boss (a giant yeti, called Yeti Kong)
World 4 (Forest world) has 5 regular levels and the boss (Giant Flutter)
World 5 (Beach- and underwater world) has 4 regular levels and the boss (a giant star fish, called King Starfish)
World 6 (Mountainous world) has 5 regular levels and the boss (Mouser (yes, THAT Mouser from Super Mario Bros. 2 ;-) ))
World 7 (Sky world) has 3 regular levels and the boss (Giant Flame Chomp (with his children who are tougher than normal Flame Chomps))
World 8 (Jungle world) has 4 regular levels and the boss (Donkey Kong (yepp, THE Donkey Kong as we all know him^^))
World 9 (Spooky world) has 4 regular levels and the boss (Big Boo)

Each boss holds one more toad captured than the boss before, meaning Giant Goomba holds one Toad captured, and Big Boo holds 9 Toads captured, so that 45 Toads are captured in this game. Every time, Mario rescures new Toads, they will tell Mario that Princess Daisy has been captured by Wario, with a separate saying beforehand. And every time, the Toads fool around a bit (similar to the All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros.). Plus, everytime Mario rescues Toads, they give him one 1-Up mushroom.
The Toad of world 1 is the regular one with red dots and the blue vest. All other toads have the same dots- and vest color. There are ten different Toad colors in the game: red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, purple, pink, grey and brown. Which Toad gots which color, is random-based.

After rescuing Toad in world 1, he will appear on every world map from world 2 on and Mario can select a free power-up in Toad's House.
Also in every world, there is Toadette's House, in which Mario can play several mini-games to reach some 1-ups and world-specific extra hints from her.

After World 9, Mario can go to Wario's castle. Wario's castle is the third-hardest level in the game (while the second-hardest is 9-3), very long and challenging. At the end of the level, Wario is waiting in his throne room, where you can see Daisy in her cage in the background.
Bowser's fortess as the hardest level is twice as big as Wario's castle. In the middle of Bowser's fortress, Mario has to fight Bowser Jr. as a intermediate boss (He needs three hits).

For a 2004-Super Mario game, Super Mario Land 3: Wario's Revenge! is surprisingly difficult. The game's difficulty is somewhere between Super Mario Bros.: The lost Levels and Super Mario Bros. 3, but more in SMB3-direction.

Playable characters:
- Mario
- Luigi

Supporting characters:
- Yoshi
- Toad (from world 2 on)
- Toadette

List of enemies and bosses (for the enemies of more rarety I named the Game, in which the enemy debutet in square brackets, and after it - just for fun - the German names in this game (if different from English names)):
- Angry Sun [Super Mario Bros. 3] <Sengende Sonne>
- Attacky Sack [Yoshi's Story] <Attacko Sacko>
- Autobomb [Super Mario Bros. 2]
- Battle Beetle [Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins] <Kampfkäfer>
- Bero (here called as "Licker of Grief") [Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins] <Trauerschleck>
- Big Boo <Big-Buu>
- Blooper
- Bob-Omb
- Boo <Buu Huu>
- Bookend [Super Mario 64] <Vampuch>
- Boomerang Bro <Bumerang-Bruder>
- Bowser
- Bowser Jr.
- Bowser Statue
- Bully [Super Mario 64]
- Burt [Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island) <Xilebo>
- Buzzy Beetle <Käfer>
- Cheep-Cheep
- Chuck Guy [Mario&Luigi: Superstar Saga] <Savage Guy>
- Dancing Spear Guy [Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island] <Kanibalo Guy>
- Donkey Kong
- Dry Bones <Knochentrocken>
- Fire Bar <Feuer-Barriere>
- Fire Bro <Feuerbruder>
- Fire Piranha Plant <Feuer-Piranha>
- Fire Plant Statue (here called as "Stoney Giant Piranha") [Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins] <Steinerne Riesen-Piranha>
- Flame Chomp [Super Mario Bros. 3] <Feuerchomp>
- Flutter [Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island] <Flatter>
- Ghost Goomba [Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins] <Spuk-Gumba>
- Giant Flame Chomp [new enemy] <Riesen-Feuerchomp>
- Giant Flutter [new enemy] <Riesen-Flatter>
- Giant Goomba [new enemy] <Riesen-Gumba>
- Giant Shy Guy [new enemy] <Riesen-Shy Guy>
- Goomba <Gumba>
- Gusty [Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island]
- Hammer Bro <Hammerbruder>
- Hothead (here called as "Big Shine") [Super Mario World] <Großschein>
- Ice Bro [new enemy] <Eisbruder>
- Jumping Piranha Plant (in its pumpkin form only) (here called as "Jumpkin") [Super Mario World] <Springkürbis>
- King Starfish [new enemy] <König Seestern>
- Koopa Paratroopa (here called as "Para Koopa") <Para-Koopa>
- Koopa Troopa
- Lakitu
- Lava Bubble <Hot-Head>
- Lil Sparky (here called as "Lil Shine") [Super Mario World] <Kleinschein>
- Mechanical Fist (here called as "Fist of the W") [Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins] <Faust des W>
- Monty Mole <Monty Maulwurf>
- Mouser [Super Mario Bros. 2]
- Mr. Blizzard [Super Mario 64] <Herr Blizzard>
- Muncher <Schwarzer Muncher>
- Nipper Plant (here called as "Nipper") [Super Mario Bros. 3] <weißer Muncher>
- Piranha Plant <Piranha-Pflanze>
- Poison Mushroom [Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels] <Giftpilz>
- Pokey (both the yellow and green variant appear here)
- Propeller Piranha [Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island]
- Ptooie [Super Mario Bros. 3] <Flora Morgenstern>
- Puffer-Cheep [Mario&Luigi: Superstar Saga] <Puste-Cheep>
- Shy Guy
- Shy Guy on Pogo Stick (here called as "Scampy Guy") [Yoshi's Story] <Hoppel Guy>
- Sidestepper [Mario Bros. (1983)] <Krabbe>
- Snow Pokey (here called as "Snokey") [new enemy] <Snokey>
- Spark [Super Mario Bros. 2]
- Spike
- Spiny <Stachi>
- Spiny-Egg <Stachi-Ei>
- Stilt Guy (here called as "High Shy Guy") [Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island] <Stelzen-Guy>
- Swooper (here in its greenish color variant) <Flapp-Flapp>
- Sworm [Mario&Luigi: Superstar Saga] <Schwurm>
- Thwimp [Super Mario World]
- Thwomp
- Urchin [Super Mario World] <Aqua-Thwomp">
- Wario
- Wiggler
- Woozy Guy [Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island] <Salto Guy>

Gusty's sprite corresponds very closely to the one from Yoshi: Touch & Go.
Mr. Blizzard's sprite corresponds exactly to the one from Mario Party Advance
Mouser's sprite corresponds more to the colors of the artworks, meaning he is not more so greenish and orange, but more greyish and pinkish. Additionally Mouser's sprite got an actual mouth here.

Super Mario Land 4: Crystals of Order is developed by the same people and is released in early spring 2006, also for the Game Boy Advance.

Notes:
*= After Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins, Nintendo decided NOT to name the first Wario Land "Super Mario Land 3".
**= Developed not by the "first row"-developers of Nintendo, but by "second" or "third row"-developers.
You put an insane amount of effort into this like damn mad props.

Pokémon: Red Version and Blue Version/Pocket Monsters Blue
Released: February 1997 (Japan) , September 1997 (North America), November 1997 (PAL territories)
Platforms: Game Boy, Game Boy Light, Game Boy Color, Super Game Boy, Game Boy Player
ATL: Driven for the Disk

Pocket Monsters Red and Green were wildly successful in spite of its chaotic development. In its wake, Nintendo would acquire both Game Freak and made them a subsidairy, and Creatures (successor to Ape)'s shares to the franchise, to make sure development of a surefire franchise goes smoothly. Nintendo was unimpressed with Game Freak's rushed debugging of the games, demanding a reversion fixing much of the game's troubles, even if it meant delaying Pocket Monsters Stadium and the in-development Generation 2 games. First and most major fix, Ghost-type attacks are super-effective against Psychic-type Pokémon. Game Freak forgot to check that one. Pokémon and item duplication, Rare Candies allowing Pokémon to level up past 100, save data corruption... that's only some of the many bugs that were fixed thanks to a thorough Mario Club playtest session. Pokémon got a a facelift, reflecting more closely Ken Sugimori's art. Oh, and backsprites for all 151 of them are no longer blocky, thanks to them switching from 28×28 to 56×56, with artwork redone accordingly. The rest of the game is completely unchanged, save for a few art changes here and there, and some moves being rebalanced. Feeling players wouldn't buy upgrades at full price on retail, Nintendo sold them through mail-order.

The Game Boy Color was set to launch in September 1997 in North America. Tetris DX, Ken Griffey Jr. presents MLB, Donkey Kong Land III, Metroid II DX, Game & Watch Gallery and Wario Land 2 and Disney's Hercules were mostly good launch titles. However, Nintendo felt Nintendo of America needed to take a risk with the launch panel. Backed up by $50M and multiple marketing partners, NOA poised Pokémon as the next big thing, one that might dethrone Bandai's Tamagotchi, which sold 13 million units worldwide. NOA asked if Game Freak could redesign a few of the Pokémon, feeling they might be a little too cute for the North American market. They initially thought of it, until they eventually saw that one of said requests included Pikachu, the most popular Pokémon, into a well-endowned striped feline. This rubbed many the wrong way at Game Freak, and NCL eventually caught wind of it. They shut that down in faithful of a faithful localization. Tamagotchi was so popular because it was dinstictively Japanese, and they would only overthrow that franchise by being distinctively Japanese. Translator Nob Ogasawara and his comrades worked tireless hours to bring the pair of games for a North American audience. Character and Pokémon names were once going to be changed, but that was quickly thrown off the window. There had to be some dialogue editing , such as replacing a clearly drunk man into one just having a bad morning. Otherwise, this is a very faithful localization. One little minor thing, Game Freak decided to add full color at the request of NOA. During that process, Sugimori, worried that Jynx's ganguro-like design might be mistaken for being based on minstrell dolls, decided to change its skin color from black to purple. The game is backwards-compatible with the Game Boy models.

This led to the GBC clearing 4 million units in 1998, with Pokémon Red and Blue nearly selling 1:1 with the platform. Because they were backwards-compatible, the games themselves sold 7 million copies. The other launch titles, especially Tetris DX, also sold extremely well. The accompanying toys, apparel, plushes were also extremely successful... but arguably, the trading card game was the most successful Pokémon-related merchanside. Wizards of the Coast was confident it would sell like hotcakes; it was an understatement: it actually outsold the games!. This also led to Nintendo partnerting with ShoPro and their American branch, Viz Communitations, to localize the Pocket Monsters. Dubbing was produced at Ocean Productions in Vancouver. Some episodes had been edited for content by the show's animation studio, OLM, at the request of Viz. During that they caught on to a few potentially seizure-inducing scenes in episodes that hadn't yet aired in Japan (the most notorious one involved Porygon and Pikachu) and said scenes were considerably toned down. The anime would be ready for a North American boradcast on May 1998, airing on Kids' WB in the US and YTV in Canada.

Last edited: