Your Personal Pop Culture Utopia timeline

Frank Wells doesn't die in a helicopter crash.

Richard Stone (Song composer for many 1990s cartoons) doesn't die.

Elvis Presley survived his fatal overdose.

Heath Ledger found psychiatric help, and the Joker appeared in the next Dark Knight movie.

Hmm... Would they still close (Lucasarts) in 2013 if they'd had a very different 2000s, and weren't the Star Wars studio that Disney could licence out more effectively? Maybe, maybe not.
Disney closed everything when they got Lucasfilm as only care about the ip not the games, OTL EA was the first to throw money and Disney Say yes as easy money, they never cared about videogames unlike lucas

Meanwhile my popcult preferences:

Music: In the 1980's a group of mostly rock, metal and folk musicians band together to set up societies of non-corporate record labels and music collages alongside government and charity backed efforts to ensure the creative scene remain autonomous from excessive marketing. This is followed by anti-trust legislation and regulating on-air exposure of popular music. The modern result would be a more varied scope of popular genres including more widespread appreciation of independent and alternative music.

Games: Bioware picked a better narrative for Mass Effect Andromeda, it wasn't disappointing. Ubisoft releases an FULL Assassins Creed set in Russia already. Just Cause 4 isn't so despairing shit and set somewhere more weird and strange than Latin America (No Central Asia yet! Or some hilarious Scandinavian tongue in cheek setting!).

Deleted member 100251

Here's a big one...
  • Gym is compulsory for all levels of school in America.
Now there's something I for one can truly use.
no no no no... I would not like to have PE required. (It already is) But please no

Because that restricts one's personal freedoms. (And you know, sometimes people don't like going to the Gym? Maybe just a thought)

Then I suppose if it's not an actual gym class. We could at least require some sort of health related class. Even if it's not my preferred option of gym.

no no no no... I would not like to have PE required. (It already is) But please no

When I was in HS someone had the idea of allowing people to skip PE if they were in a varsity sport. Considering that PE was a big part of school for me in elementary and middle school but was two lousy semesters in HS and basically a big joke, it had merit.

I agree that exercise and learning about staying in shape is a solid idea, but the way PE is done in schools is not necessarily the best way. I would keep it but make it different - maybe start the day off with a brisk walk and stretches or meditation or something physical to get the blood flowing, lots of play for younger kids and physical activity for older kids, an emphasis on physical participation sports even for the non-athletic, and frequent breaks to clear one’s head. NCLB can be retooled for this or relegated to the historical dustbin.

I would also retool the teaching position to involve heavy doses of physical activity, to the point where teachers are physical leaders and not just academic ones. Frankly under my idea, probably more than half of all teachers would use the title Coach rather than Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. in class - it has the bonus of being gender-neutral.

So I would revise PE entirely so it is less a class and more an idea and a way of life.

So I would revise PE entirely so it is less a class and more an idea and a way of life.

My mother had a good solution to my woes over physical education. She encouraged me to take up Karate which was a good pursuit for a couple of years in my teens. I appreciate the cultural aspect of these arts, it is inseparable from them and encourages meekness in strength. Physical activity is good for it's own sake and should be seen as practical rather than competitive. This is where the West gets it wrong, most of our physical activities are in a competitive context and if you are not competitive you are discouraged from engaging at all. The Eastern way is much healthier and emphasises turning up and hitting the standard for yourself.

My mother had a good solution to my woes over physical education. She encouraged me to take up Karate which was a good pursuit for a couple of years in my teens. I appreciate the cultural aspect of these arts, it is inseparable from them and encourages meekness in strength. Physical activity is good for it's own sake and should be seen as practical rather than competitive. This is where the West gets it wrong, most of our physical activities are in a competitive context and if you are not competitive you are discouraged from engaging at all. The Eastern way is much healthier and emphasises turning up and hitting the standard for yourself.

Hmm, not something I thought of, but frankly people could benefit from martial arts regardless of competitive nature. Granted, plenty of people ARE competitive, but others should be given outlets to physical activity that are not competitive and are strictly about being one’s own best. The problem is that we have a culture that stresses that one has to be the best or not even try. There’s nothing - NOTHING - safe from it. Even raising children isn’t safe from competition and shaming for being less than perfect.

Competition is good within some areas but doesn’t have to pervade everything.

NASCAR:
  • Brian France is fired from being the CEO someone during the late 2000's or just something to prevent his actions in the 2010's.
  • Billy Wade doesn't die and becomes a top driver in the 1960's and 1970's, possibly winning a championship along the way.
  • Alan Kulwicki doesn't die and his AK Racing team is a strong 2-car team with #07 Scott Wimmer and #7 Paul Menard as drivers for 2019.
  • Davey Allison doesn't die and wins multiple titles during the 1990's, likely limiting Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Sr.
  • Adam Petty doesn't die and currently races with his grandfather's team in the #45, with a best points finish of 7th in 2005.
  • Dale Sr. himself does not die and his DEI team is co-owned by him and his son Dale Jr, with the Cup drivers being William Byron, Chase Elliott, and Jeb Burton.
  • Kasey Kahne stays at Robert Yates Racing, which still exists in 2019 as Yates Racing.
NFL:
  • Atlanta Falcons don't choke the 28-3 lead in Super Bowl 51 and win.
  • Seattle Seahawks never hire the pathetic scum that is Blair Walsh.
  • Andrew Luck never has injury issues early in his pro career and is able to make the Colts more successful.
  • Minnesota Vikings fork over money for Nick Foles instead of Kirk Cousins.
  • Colin Kaepernick wins Super Bowl 47 for the San Francisco 49ers, at least one team more strongly considers him after he becomes a free agent years later and Joe Flacco is never considered elite.
  • Larry Fitzgerald doesn't waste away with the Arizona Cardinals in the 2010's.
Other sports:
  • Seattle Mariners finally make it to a goddamn World Series. Pick a year, any year. I'm still in pain.
  • Ichiro never leaves the Mariners and is still serviceable instead of being hauled around for big-name status only.

Last edited:
Besides my TV screed upthread...

Jim Clark doesn't die & goes on to multiple championships.
Ayrton Senna doesn't die, ditto. (I could live with it if Schumi died in that skiing accident, tho.)
Dale Sr. doesn't die, ditto.
(I'd like to extend Richard's NASCAR career, but can't figure out how.:oops:)
Vuky doesn't die & wins 4 or 5 500s.
(I could happily see Adam Petty & Alan Kulwicki not die, either.)
F1 cars never get wings.
Dragsters don't get wings.
NHRA doesn't ban Altereds.
NHRA doesn't allow non-silhouette TF/FCs.
Maybe NHRA doesn't drop Top Gas in favor of Pro Stock. (Which puts Glidden in Top Gas...)
Lori Johns wins 4 TF/D titles. So does Mendy ("mindy") Fry. So does Erica Enders.
Carol Cox wins 3 Top Gas titles. So does Shirley Shahan.
Shirley Muldowney wins 4 national titles in AA/FA before moving to TF/D, where she wins 5.

Stevie Ray Vaughan doesn't die in a helo crash (because he takes the train?).
Ritchie Valens & Buddy Holley don't die, because they've got a better promoter. (If the Bopper fell under a bus, I wouldn't care, tho.:closedtongue: )
Milli & Vanilli never meet.:openedeyewink:
The Macarena never happens.

• Seattle Seahawks never hire the pathetic scum that is Blair Walsh.
  • Andrew Luck never has injury issues early in his pro career and is able to make the Colts more successful.
  • Minnesota Vikings fork over money for Nick Foles instead of Kirk Cousins.
  • Colin Kaepernick wins Super Bowl 47 for the San Francisco 49ers, at least one team more strongly considers him after he becomes a free agent years later and Joe Flacco is never considered elite.
  • Larry Fitzgerald doesn't waste away with the Arizona Cardinals in the 2010's.
First of all Walsh was good...but that miss in 15 divisional destroyed him...but getting HIM WAS A RISK WORTH it,