Yesterday (Film)

While not true alternate history by the standards of this site, as a fantasy, the film's concept of the Beatles not existing and the one guy who remembers them becoming a star looks entertaining. Plus the writing and cast seem well done going by the trailer (yes I know, trailers lie).

Looks like a good date movie with a slight AH flavor.

The entire premise of the movie sounds very much like a manga I once read, where Beatles Imitation band from contemporary Japan goes back in time before Beatles become famous. I do not recall the name of the manga in question unfirtunately.

This definitely seems like a fantasy - in addition to the Beatles, Coca-Cola doesn’t exist and no one in 2019 knows what a cigarette is, but there are no broader effects on society. Ironically it seems to undermine the Beatles while deifying them: People are awestruck at a few chords of Yesterday or Hey Jude, as if they’re magic siren song, and yet the Beatles never existing doesn’t seem to change culture or music, which they did enormously IRL.

Also I saw he plays ‘Back in the USSR’ and yeah that’s what would be hot in a 2019 that never heard it: A Beach Boys / Chuck Berry parody about a country that disappeared nearly 30 years ago.

This definitely seems like a fantasy - in addition to the Beatles, Coca-Cola doesn’t exist and no one in 2019 knows what a cigarette is, but there are no broader effects on society. Ironically it seems to undermine the Beatles while deifying them: People are awestruck at a few chords of Yesterday or Hey Jude, as if they’re magic siren song, and yet the Beatles never existing doesn’t seem to change culture or music, which they did enormously IRL.

Also I saw he plays ‘Back in the USSR’ and yeah that’s what would be hot in a 2019 that never heard it: A Beach Boys / Chuck Berry parody about a country that disappeared nearly 30 years ago.

Yes, it's not a true alternate history, but more like sliding sideways into a similar, but not identical reality. (Note, I have not seen it yet.)

TBF he played it in Moscow