WW1 Paratroops

The US Army considered converting the 1st Infantry Division into an Airborne Division at the tail end of World War 1. The war ended and the plan was scrapped. What if it had been done?

1. Lack of air transport to
1a move paras around
1b move heavy equipment around
1c move resuplies
2. likelly failure for gound troops to break through and link with airhead

This month(s) issue of Strategy and Tactics (Jan/Feb 2003) which has three WI articles: Plan Orange; the Soviets invade West Germany and Plan 1919. The Plan 1919 talks about Fuller's planned June 1st, 1919 tank offensive to break the German Army on the Western Front. It also mentions that General Mitchell was considering putting together a paratrooper force. So it would appear that had the war lasted until 1919 the Allies would have tried a new form of warfare.

Melvin Loh said:
Hey man this has already been done on the previous board.
Just because something has been discussed previously on the old board, does it really mean we should not discuss it again? Some people may not be aware exactly what WI topics have been discussed on the old site.

Paulo the Limey said:
Just because something has been discussed previously on the old board, does it really mean we should not discuss it again? Some people may not be aware exactly what WI topics have been discussed on the old site.

Also people can come up with new ideas.

I agree it probably would not impact WW1 itself much. And I dont think there were enough aircraft to drop the entire Big Red One. But I see two interesting departures. First, its done and everyone decides it doesnt work so there are no airborne ops post WW1. Second, nations decide to improve on it by making better chutes, more robust aircraft, better technology to accurately drop troopers, etc. It could be that by WW2, the warring nations have solid airborne units that can drop accurately from the beginning. Perhaps the same technogy would be used bring about more accurate bombing.

Paulo the Limey said:

However true that may be, one should do a simple search to find out if a topic has already be discussed. That doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it again, but those of us that have been frequenting here for years know that there is a wealth of information in the archives.

There weren't radars or anything in WWI; perhaps we have air-dropped assassins into enemy capitals with the goal of taking down political leaders. British agents could be delivered from ship-launched planes in the North Sea into Germany with the goal of killing the Kaiser, for example.

"They use radar? Its sad that I dont know as Im a trained static line paratrooper........................."

What I meant is that radar did not exist during WWI, so it would be easier for air-launched infiltration missions.

Given the size and capability of airplanes available in 1918-19, it's hard to imagine paratroops being used in sufficient numbers by the allies to be more than hit and run commando-style actions.

Now the Germans with their Zeppelins.......Imagine 20 stripped-down zeps crossing the atlantic in 1919 carrying about 100 shock troops each and dropping them at night near Washington or New York...to be picked up later by U-boats.. Hoo boy! Such a movie that would be.