WorldRaj tribute thread

wip 10.12.22 2.png

Saxony (and Westphalia and the Inner Circle) create inconsistencies. Before them Electoral Coronet is used in circle flags but Saxony and Hanover have the coronet, while the Saxon circle doesn't.
I was going on the basis that the Greater Saxon Circle has 2 Electors within it, Westphalia does not have an Elector [but retains the arms of Aachen which is no longer within it]and i was planning Cologne and Trier as 2 Electors within the Inner Circle

That doesn't change anything.

Frankfurt was a Free Imperial City anyway.

Way I see it, you would not want an Elector too close to the capital, its for this reason ITTL the Electorate was awarded to Bavaria, that of the Palatine to Austria and a new one created for Hanover.
ITTL the Electors are;
1] Cologne
2] Trier
3] United Provinces
4] Hanover
5] Saxony
6] Bohemia
7] Austria
8] Brandenburg
9] Bavaria

All of whom have to travel to attend the Parliament at Frankfurt am Main

Way I see it, you would not want an Elector too close to the capital, its for this reason ITTL the Electorate was awarded to Bavaria, that of the Palatine to Austria and a new one created for Hanover.
ITTL the Electors are;
1] Cologne
2] Trier
3] United Provinces
4] Hanover
5] Saxony
6] Bohemia
7] Austria
8] Brandenburg
9] Bavaria

All of whom have to travel to attend the Parliament at Frankfurt am Main

I...

Oh gosh that's absolutely not how the electors worked.

So the reason Mainz was an Electorate was because it was the seat of the Archbishop of Mainz, Primate of all Germany and the head of the Church in the Empire. Cologne got an Electorate because it was the diocese where Aachen was- so would be the one doing the actual crowning, and then Trier was the only other Archbishop in the area so could argue that they had a right by dint of the other two doing so. The Count Palatine of the Rhine was also involved in electing Emperors as early as 1198 and was very much a senior line by dint of its key strategic position. Mind, the Palatinate one historically ended up there when the Wittlesbachs split in two, so actually that going to Bavaria instead is perfectly plausible, and later awards to Austria, Hanover and the United Provinces are also perfectly explainable.

Anyway, I wrote several thousand words on the Electorates over here a while back for some more background.

I...

Oh gosh that's absolutely not how the electors worked.

So the reason Mainz was an Electorate was because it was the seat of the Archbishop of Mainz, Primate of all Germany and the head of the Church in the Empire. Cologne got an Electorate because it was the diocese where Aachen was- so would be the one doing the actual crowning, and then Trier was the only other Archbishop in the area so could argue that they had a right by dint of the other two doing so. The Count Palatine of the Rhine was also involved in electing Emperors as early as 1198 and was very much a senior line by dint of its key strategic position. Mind, the Palatinate one historically ended up there when the Wittlesbachs split in two, so actually that going to Bavaria instead is perfectly plausible, and later awards to Austria, Hanover and the United Provinces are also perfectly explainable.

Anyway, I wrote several thousand words on the Electorates over here a while back for some more background.
My thinking was that an Emperor from outside the Empire might want to prevent German unity whilst seeming to promote it. This seemed one way of retarding unity, what do you think?

My thinking was that an Emperor from outside the Empire might want to prevent German unity whilst seeming to promote it. This seemed one way of retarding unity, what do you think?

I think it's more likely that 'respecting the traditional hierarchy' would be a pre-condition of a non-German Emperor being elected. That and there were plenty of disputes between the City of Frankfurt and the Archbishop-Electorate of Mainz anyway.

Polish Flag.png
I need an opinion on Polish Flag, top is based on a banner of Sigismund the old, lower is based on a banner of Jan Kazimierz. Which works best?