I think the panic begins in 2011, since Nelson Mandela is still alive and the Rugby World Cup is going on when the SHTF (2011 was the last one held before his death).

Last edited:
I think the panic begins in 2011, since Nelson Mandela is still alive and the Rugby World Cup is going on when the SHTF (2011 was the last one held before his death).
TV Tropes has it at 2011 while the Zombie Wiki has it at 2013. Not sure if these are official or just mere interpretations based on the facts hidden between the lines. Again, Brooks would not have known that Mandela would pass away in 2013 or that Russia would occupy Crimea in 2014.

I'm not really familiar with American politics. One user here suggested a possible POD is McCain being elected, which causes Iran to develop their own nuclear weapons. Remember McCain had a hawkish stance to America's adversaries.

Plus, the POD of WWZ dates back to 6,000 B.C. if you count the Recorded Attacks section of ZSG.

Being elected still in 2008 or in 2000(replacing W.Bush)?,I mean if thing got more or less like OTL until 2008,with the recession McCain could be elected against Obama,but again a very close election....unless the Democratic Candidate is another person?(John Edwards maybe?).

That bit with the metro is pretty creepy. Imagine it happening at rush hour.
That's the point of the whole thing. The outbreak happened behind-the-scenes as people brushed it off as drugs or crazies as the authorities were covering up. All until it was too late.
so in TWD Universe what happen to Philippines anyway.
The same as every country with millions in population. Manila would be a nightmare.

I'm in Leipzig, Germany right now doing my exchange year and I can tell you that if an WWZ type event occurred here, it would be catastrophic for not just Germany but the entire EU. The only saving grace is that Germany has a large number of medieval and Renaissance castles as well as modern fortifications (old Flakturms) that can be fortified, supplied, and defended.

That's the point of the whole thing. The outbreak happened behind-the-scenes as people brushed it off as drugs or crazies as the authorities were covering up. All until it was too late.

The same as every country with millions in population. Manila would be a nightmare.

Manila is fucked up Baguio was spared Palawan was Spared what next Visayas been next in line while had large islands like cebu negros oriental and occidental leyte samar and bohol.

Manila is fucked up Baguio was spared Palawan was Spared what next Visayas been next in line while had large islands like cebu negros oriental and occidental leyte samar and bohol.
As I understand it, the Philippines would actually be rather easy to defend if you fortified the right islands.
I've seen quite a few vids of Philippine homebuild guns and since water slows down zombies, many smaller islands could be easily defended.

Ehh parts of Palawan would still be overrun. Especially Coron and Puerto Princesa. As with all major cities in Visayas and Mindanao.
As I understand it, the Philippines would actually be rather easy to defend if you fortified the right islands.
I've seen quite a few vids of Philippine homebuild guns and since water slows down zombies, many smaller islands could be easily defended.
The problem is overpopulated cities that would inadvertently spread it to rural areas brought by refugees.

Homebuild guns are not a problem. In fact, the resourcefulness of Filipino blacksmiths and gunsmiths will be useful. Water slows the undead down but it does not kill them. If we go to the WWZ logic, the zombies would just walk underwater before emerging into other islands. So there must be at least coastal defenders to make sure no underwater zombies get ashore.

Ehh parts of Palawan would still be overrun. Especially Coron and Puerto Princesa. As with all major cities in Visayas and Mindanao.

The problem is overpopulated cities that would inadvertently spread it to rural areas brought by refugees.
One infected and the whole thing goes to hell. That's what I assume happened to the city safe zones in The Walking Dead like Atlanta, one infected managed to sneak inside and then all hell goes loose.

Homebuild guns are not a problem. In fact, the resourcefulness of Filipino blacksmiths and gunsmiths will be useful. Water slows the undead down but it does not kill them. If we go to the WWZ logic, the zombies would just walk underwater before emerging into other islands. So there must be at least coastal defenders to make sure no underwater zombies get ashore.
I think u misinterpreted my point. My point is that the homebuilds will be saving the Philippines, as you guys actually have more guns then many countries. And all you really need against zombies is a homebuild pump action shotgun. I saw a vid of a Filipino one and I have to say, I'd buy the shotgun for $100 CAD. Looks like a solid piece.

The one unrealistic point of WWZ and one which I think you fixed was the zombies not rotting part. Solanum is a bio-agent, which means it organic. The only things I've heard that prevents decay and rotting are chemicals (why I don't eat fast food).
mummy burger.jpg

But anyway, I dunno if you've read this, but I think this series is a very good depiction of zombie fighting in jungle terrain. Which is something that's going to happen a lot in the Philippines, once the cities go dark and the undead march into the rural provinces.

I think u misinterpreted my point. My point is that the homebuilds will be saving the Philippines, as you guys actually have more guns then many countries. And all you really need against zombies is a homebuild pump action shotgun. I saw a vid of a Filipino one and I have to say, I'd buy the shotgun for $100 CAD. Looks like a solid piece.
Lots of loose guns here in the Philippines. Think of it like Mexico or any third-world country were guns are plentiful, especially in the areas controlled by local politicians and their private armies. The Islamic insurgents and NPA rebels definitely have their stashes. Plus the are around Mindanao is a known location for black market items to be traded such as arms and drugs. Piracy is also prevalent in the Sulu Sea and the Celebes Sea area.
The one unrealistic point of WWZ and one which I think you fixed was the zombies not rotting part. Solanum is a bio-agent, which means it organic. The only things I've heard that prevents decay and rotting are chemicals (why I don't eat fast food).
undefined
Also it was mentioned that there are few bacteria that ignore Solanum's repellant. That's why 10 years into the Zombie War, observers noted that some of the zombies were already in the state of decay. During the Honolulu conference, some countries opted to wait them out till they rot, but the U.S. wanted to move on the offensive now that the zombies were starting to be weaker.
But anyway, I dunno if you've read this, but I think this series is a very good depiction of zombie fighting in jungle terrain. Which is something that's going to happen a lot in the Philippines, once the cities go dark and the undead march into the rural provinces.
I have read '68 a few years back. It's an interesting alternate history take if a zombie apocalypse broke out at the time of the Vietnam War and the counterculture movement. The zombies in '68 were some how smart. I have a faint memory of a VC zombie holding a scythe and decapitating a GI.

If memory serves, the virus was created by a crazy French scientist who defected to the Viet Minh in 1954 and saw it as an opportunity to get back at the West,

Danao Cebu man you know their guns been come to play so yes.

Lots of loose guns here in the Philippines. Think of it like Mexico or any third-world country were guns are plentiful, especially in the areas controlled by local politicians and their private armies.
That's really still a thing?
Which islands are the relatively stable and good ones?
I plan on coming to the Philippines in a few years (provided we still have an intact Earth by that point, of course)

The Islamic insurgents and NPA rebels definitely have their stashes.
Something something newpaper stacked up into armor against Moro ISIS RPG-2s. Which somehow works.

What is the NPA? Are they commies? I know you guys had a commie problem just after 'Nam, though I was fairly certain you guys solved it the fire and steel way.

Plus the are around Mindanao is a known location for black market items to be traded such as arms and drugs. Piracy is also prevalent in the Sulu Sea and the Celebes Sea area.
How bad is your piracy problem?
If the world does go south, I can see these pirates, ISIS remnants and rebels becoming warlord fiefdoms.
Which is going to be real bad.

Also it was mentioned that there are few bacteria that ignore Solanum's repellant. That's why 10 years into the Zombie War, observers noted that some of the zombies were already in the state of decay. During the Honolulu conference, some countries opted to wait them out till they rot, but the U.S. wanted to move on the offensive now that the zombies were starting to be weaker.
10 years in my honest opinion is a bit unholy.
And the zombies in the ocean are another puzzle, with the Solanum somehow repelling sharks, fish, and other marine life.

I have read '68 a few years back. It's an interesting alternate history take if a zombie apocalypse broke out at the time of the Vietnam War and the counterculture movement. The zombies in '68 were some how smart. I have a faint memory of a VC zombie holding a scythe and decapitating a GI.
There was Jungle Jim's commander, who could somehow command the undead.
As well, there was a undead Marine who could fire his M60 accurately.

I think the VC zombie with a scythe was a modified one by the crazy VC scientist rather than a Rememberer.

The 68 zombies were just a slight tier above the zombies in Walking Dead. I recall 2 scenes where walkers used bricks to break glass and Morgan's wife remembering the house where she died.

If memory serves, the virus was created by a crazy French scientist who defected to the Viet Minh in 1954 and saw it as an opportunity to get back at the West,
I believe you're correct on this one.

What is the NPA? Are they commies? I know you guys had a commie problem just after 'Nam, though I was fairly certain you guys solved it the fire and steel way.
Yes, the NPA are communist. They were Maoist at some point but now they have abandoned the ideology because the Cold War is long over. They were supported by China all up to 1976 when Manila recognized Beijing. They have loathed the PRC for embracing capitalism.

The NPA insurgency has been ongoing since 1969. Neighboring countries such as Indonesia, Thailand, and Malaysia ended theirs before the dawn of the 21st Century.
How bad is your piracy problem?
Not that bad. Mainly confined to the south of the Philippines (maritime border with Malaysia and Indonesia) and the South China Sea/West Philippine Sea area.

Yes, the NPA are communist. They were Maoist at some point but now they have abandoned the ideology because the Cold War is long over. They were supported by China all up to 1976 when Manila recognized Beijing. They have loathed the PRC for embracing capitalism.
Heh. So they're basically as commie as FARC during their twilight days. Just a bunch of shitty sickos play warlord and using commie symbolism for good boy point. I hope you guys squash them like the bugs they are.

The NPA insurgency has been ongoing since 1969. Neighboring countries such as Indonesia, Thailand, and Malaysia ended theirs before the dawn of the 21st Century.
Everyone ought to study how the Brits ended the Malayan Emergency right after WW2.
Swift and effective, to the point that commies have stay out of that area of brush since.

Not that bad. Mainly confined to the south of the Philippines (maritime border with Malaysia and Indonesia) and the South China Sea/West Philippine Sea area.
Borderlands are always going to be trouble. That said, it seems like marine customs and border patrol might be getting their palms greased.