Without Warning: What Killed the United States?

As everyone knows, the premise behind John Birmingham's new book, Without Warning, is that everbody wakes up one day to find that some kind of energy field has descended over North America and has killed everybody there, with the exception of parts of Canada, Alaska, and Seattle.

JB told me when he was in town that he knows who or what did it and that all would be revealed in the last part of the last book. But that should not stop us from speculating.

Just to get the ball rolling, I'll pass around my wife's theory. Noting that Seattle still exists, it was clearly something that Bill Gates did. And you thought Windows Vista was a disaster.

As everyone knows, the premise behind John Birmingham's new book, Without Warning, is that everbody wakes up one day to find that some kind of energy field has descended over North America and has killed everybody there, with the exception of parts of Canada, Alaska, and Seattle.

JB told me when he was in town that he knows who or what did it and that all would be revealed in the last part of the last book. But that should not stop us from speculating.

Just to get the ball rolling, I'll pass around my wife's theory. Noting that Seattle still exists, it was clearly something that Bill Gates did. And you thought Windows Vista was a disaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjZQGRATlwA

"You'll notice that this device, Bill...whoa..."
"Well at least I won't have to worry about the antitrust suit anymore."

That's interesting; I was not sure if the cause was going to be revealed or not. I'm guessing it's also not going to be something like "it was all just a dream" or something silly like that :p

I think the Wave is specifically supposed to be something that destroys consciousness. How about...dimensional travel that uses conscious minds to direct and power it, that went awry? lol. who knows.

It was the work of WHAT.

The Howery Mechanite invasion of Canada had begun and a firm lesson had to be, most regrettably, taught.

All Canadians missing are actually in suspended animation in a pocket dimension and shall not only return in the next book but take over the US and northern Mexico.

All Americans were turned into small weightless tetrahedron-like blocks and can be restored or crushed to dust at the one true faith's whim.

Well if memory serves the wave seems to have a clear starting point. It is somewhere in Atlantic. Suggests to me that maybe a ship or something else was responsible. However might be too similar to Weapons of Choice.