With Elizabeth Stuart as monarch, might the English Civil War have been avoided? [Spectator article]

I think a lot would depend does Elizabeth II stop spending so much money the proplem with the rich is they don't have a concept of money. Off England king I believe only Henry I, II and III as well as Edward I truly understood the value of money unlike the rest.

Due to good queen Bess being in living memory the nostalgia of the old Queen could be useful.

Deleted member 147978

I'm assuming that Elizabeth Stuart and her husband, Friedrich of the Palatine, would become King and Queen of England, Scotland, and Ireland upon the death of King James and Prince Charles.

In any case, I could not see Parliament being complacent over the new Queen and her King Consort, especially that Britain and Ireland are basically in personal union with the Wittelsbach Palatine.

I could see a stand-off between Parliament and Friedrich over intervention into the HRE (Friedrich needs some bank somehow in some way with Parliament's consent), but overall like I said before that Parliament would likely not be complacent to Elizabeth II no matter how much the new Queen propagandized Gloriana to Parliament. Eck.

Reactions: Opo
In the alt history compendium "What If 2" there is an essay by Theodore Rabb with Elizabeth assuming the throne in August 1641 because an outbreak of plague kills Charles I and his family. In this essay she is able to defuse the situation and avert the ECW.

Interesting. I'm going to have to track that one down.

...Britain and Ireland are basically in personal union with the Wittelsbach Palatine.
England, Scotland, and Ireland, except the union won't exist until both Elizabeth and Frederick are succeeded by their eldest son. And Elizabeth lived until 1662 OTL.

An important point is which of them passes first; the heir will inherit that realm, while the surviving parent continues to reign in (or claim) the other. OTL, Elizabeth outlived Frederick by 30 years.

In any case, the Palatinate is only a claim for them; in OTL, Karl Ludwig (the second and eldest surviving son) didn't get it back until 1649. Frederick may have a better shot at reclaiming it with serious English backing.

And a butterfly knock-on: the 1629 accidental death of the eldest son, Henry Frederick, doesn't happen.

So there are all sorts of ways this could go. If as OTL, Frederick dies in 1632 and Elizabeth in 1662, their heir (assume Henry Frederick) will be actual Prince of Wales from 1629, and nominal Count Palatine from 1632 until the Palatinate is regained (if it ever is).

Or try this: Frederick, with English support, regains the Palatinate in 1635, but dies in 1638. Henry Frederick succeeds as Count Palatine, and reigns there. This creates an awkward situation for England, with the heir to the throne out of the country. Perhaps Henry Frederick names one of his brothers viceroy instead. That seems reasonable. (Though Henry Frederick may prefer ruling his own domain to hanging around as a powerless heir. And it's entirely up to him.) Elizabeth passes in say 1656, and Henry Frederick succeeds in England.

I think a lot would depend does Elizabeth II stop spending so much money the proplem with the rich is they don't have a concept of money. Off England king I believe only Henry I, II and III as well as Edward I truly understood the value of money unlike the rest.
I would add Henry VII to the list - he managed to run the country's finance well enough even without having prior experience in estate management.

over intervention into the HRE (Friedrich needs some bank somehow in some way with Parliament's consent), but overall like I said before that Parliament would likely not be complacent to Elizabeth II no matter how much the new Queen propagandized Gloriana to Parliament. Eck
He and his wife would try more to get Parliament's support in intervening in the Thirty Years' War. However, the tax and finance issues lasting from Elizabeth I and James I would quickly emerge as Parliament convenes, especially if their attempt turns into a fiasco. Elizabeth could end up imposing her own "Personal rule" ITTL. The ship money thing is also hard to avoid since Barbary pirates were making a mess at that time.

If a Civil War occurs, it would be more like the OTL American Revolution.

Last edited: