WIP Map Thread

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United Zones of America,
And to the Republic for which it stands,
One nation under DEAN, indivisible,
With liberty and justice for all.

View attachment 809861

I've reached a point where the map is practically finished, barring perhaps additional subdivisions and that key/legend/notes section that alot AltHis maps tend to have at the side and bottom. This of course not accounting for the fact that I've recently begun to get into various other YT analogue horror series and may ultimately move this from being purely a Monument Mythos fanwork to an outright Analogue Horror Crossover TL (and all the revisions and additions that may follow). THE TREES ARE NOT TREES

Questions regarding the map as it currently stands btw are welcome. THE HORNED SERPENT LIVES
Let me guess:
Alaska and the Aral Sea are wastelands with eldritch horrors
Bottomless lakes with unknown sea creatures in North Africa
Amazonas and Western Sahara are exclusion zones because they have supernatural stuff in it
Rogue/malfunctioning superweapon creates large lake in Australia and moves New Zealand next to it

Farther from complete than I would like but I need a break right now:
2023_02_14_0vv_Kleki.png

Let me guess:
Alaska and the Aral Sea are wastelands with eldritch horrors
Yes to the former, though in this case there was a transdimensional horror that got the placed glassed to oblivion in 1955. As for what's left of the Aral Sea, semi-correct in that it's less of an outright wasteland and more of an exclusion zone meant to keep people from going too near to whatever it is that lurks below.
Bottomless lakes with unknown sea creatures in North Africa
The lakes are not bottomless, though there may be indeed formerly extinct aquatic species (among other things) within them. They're recent phenomena that arose shortly afterthe construction of the Aswan Dam was completed and Lake Nasser got filled in. For reasons still unknown, this somehow led to a resurrection of the Saharan paleolakes and the desert re-greening in something of an artificial (and very much unplanned) "second African humid period".

This isn't exactly a win-win situation mind you, just ask the poor Chadians what they think of half their country being flooded over the course of five decades. There's also something strange about alot of the flora that's emerged in the now humid ex-Sahara, in particular the so-called "special trees". As for where all that water came from? TTL's scientific community is unsure, though there's too much of it to trace it all back to the Aswan.
Amazonas and Western Sahara are exclusion zones because they have supernatural stuff in it
Indeed the deepest Amazon's trees have a "special" quality to them, but it's not an exclusion zone but rather under the auspices of a "special UN operation". Same things with the Western Sahara, where certain ruins have been steadily uncovered as the desert withdrew.
Rogue/malfunctioning superweapon creates large lake in Australia and moves New Zealand next to it
Ask anyone ITTL about this and they'll answer you with: "What are you talking about? That sea's always been there in Australia and New Zealand has always been right next to the Australian mainland, even if Maori oral history prior to Abel Tasman's landing insists that the islands somehow moved themselves there four centuries ago".

New Zealand is moving however, at a pace of five metres an hour to an uncertain point to the southeast (i.e. - its OTL location). And as it does so the place has been steadily rising, almost as if the islands were "consuming" the sea floor along its path. That of course is a silly notion, islands are not sentient beings and certainly don't "consume" anything. (Except some of them are, just ask the Americans about Alcatraz)

Last edited:
At first glance, at first looking like a mundane alternate timeline on the surface, then upon closer inspection a sort of "uncanny valley" feeling of certain things off. (i.e. - various geographic oddities one may on the map). And once one goes down the rabbithole of the true nature of things... oh boy.

Quite alot actually, the TL's actually an ASB work that includes (via the source material; mild spoilers below) but are not limited to:

1) Various monuments throughout history being built to hide eldritch monstrosities lurking beneath them (and the occasional unwilling trapped soul within).
2) What's heavily implied to be some sort of inhuman mind-controlling abomination possessing the form of James Dean elected as US President in 1968.
3) Entire forests of "special trees" which act as localized spacetime anomalies.
4) Sentient islands that can move and expand at will.

...yeah, quite alot of stuff. Good news is, in spite of the often batcrazy insane divergences and messed up stuff classified from the greater public, the TL is pretty historically convergent. (If only because I'm going to have it be the result of time itself trying to force a "course correction" amid all the crazy stuff messing up history, with often horrific results).

It did occur to me that the simplest in-universe explanation for Yugoslavia's continued existence may as well be the superpowers mutually agreeing that a unified "stable" Balkan state not imploding and descending into an anarchic warzone prevents whatever anomalies exist within its borders from running loose and doing lord knows what to the rest of Eastern Europe; going out of their way (through all possible means) to ensure such a thing does not happen.

...timeline's pretty wild, I know.
Shit, in that case a surviving Yugoslavia fits perfectly well. I don't want to suggest much as it would likely just distract from the rest of the TL but I had this image of like, a widespread mandella effect where people SWEAR they saw news reports and headlines on Croatia and Slovenia declaring independence but it, of course, never having happened...

Honestly, keeping Montenegro, Bosnia, and Macedonia on board, as I said, is entirely possible by just having less nationalistic leaders in Serbia and Bosnia, especially with such an early POD, Bosniaks used to be quite Yugoslavist before the bloodshed in the war turned them away from the idea of unity with their neighbors, and shit, I have no doubt that the will of the universe itself can keep Croatia and Slovenia in line, especially if it can keep the economy running decently.

As for the timeline, honestly its pretty cool. I deal in more grounded AH primarily myself, but more supernatural/sci fi/horror type stuff like this is interesting to read, especially with a sort of meta-AH approach with like the universe itself fighting to stay convergent with OTL. Im a fan of eldritch horror so this is right up my alley, no complaints, no judgement.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United Zones of America,
And to the Republic for which it stands,
One nation under DEAN, indivisible,
With liberty and justice for all.

View attachment 809861

I've reached a point where the map is practically finished, barring perhaps additional subdivisions and that key/legend/notes section that alot AltHis maps tend to have at the side and bottom. This of course not accounting for the fact that I've recently begun to get into various other YT analogue horror series and may ultimately move this from being purely a Monument Mythos fanwork to an outright Analogue Horror Crossover TL (and all the revisions and additions that may follow). THE TREES ARE NOT TREES

Questions regarding the map as it currently stands btw are welcome. THE HORNED SERPENT LIVES
what happened to america and Alaska?

what happened to america and Alaska?
In the case of the former, victory in the War of 1812 leading to the British ceding lands south of the Saint Lawrence and its claims on Oregon country; this also has the result of butterflying the 49th parallel line of the OTL 1818 Treaty (the reason the OTL Canada-USA border is a straight line). Then in 1976 the coumtry was reorganized from the United States of America into the United Zones of America; the zones becoming an additional administrative unit between the States and the Federal Government. (Yes I stole part of my interpretation of them from Fallout).

Alaska, as mentioned prior, saw some "Giant Transdimensional Horror" crossover from elsewhere. What followed was an intervention by a local in-universe Superman equivalent who died along with said G.T.H. when the US government decided to rain ICBMs on the place as a good measure. Or so the official cover story goes.

There is somewhere already one or two 19th century united Europe proposal.
So heres another one (hope it wasn´t posted here before?)
f1.highres

This one's probably better suited for the "Proposals and War Aims" thread :)
That being said... it's interesting that Vienna was left as a sort of corpus separatum... was it intended to be maybe a "capital district"? (didn't click the link yet...)

k8fVT4e.png

An inset for a map I've started working on. For any speakers of Slavic languages confused by the language the names are in, it's Slavonic-Serbian.

This one's probably better suited for the "Proposals and War Aims" thread :)
That being said... it's interesting that Vienna was left as a sort of corpus separatum... was it intended to be maybe a "capital district"? (didn't click the link yet...)
Damn it, you are right :D

Stalling on the Analogue Horror crossover TL, both as I catch up with other series in the genre and also certain personal reasons I wish to not publicly disclose. So in the meantime I suppose I'll just dump another project on here that I've also been stalling on for quite awhile and probably am going to revise (mostly in terms of colouration) sometimes in the near future:

el sol nunca se pone.png

As for the answers of likely incoming FAQs regarding this TL:

Q: What's the POD?
A:
Prince Afonso of Portugal does not fall off his horse. He goes on to sire a son with Isabella of Aragon (eldest daughter of the Catholic monarchs), among other children. John, Prince of Asturias and Ferdinand and Isabella Sr.'s only son, still dies somehow post-POD. This leaves Afonso and Isabella Jr.'s kid (who let's say is also named John) in line to inherit not only Portugal, but the Castilian-Aragonese union as well. John's unified Avis-Trastamara line proceed to steal the Habsburgs' absurd marital luck charm, starting with him and a union with Navarre's female heir, and TTL's Spain that consists of all Iberia goes on to hold onto its title as the original "Empire upon which the Sun never sets".

Q: What year ITTL does the map depict?
A:
1935, "shortly before the Cortes of 1935". Think something like the British Imperial Conferences, but dubbed in Spanish and with the mother country having an even harder time to maintain her grip on her dominions.

Q: What's with France?
A:
Spain's Protestant rival just across the Pyrenees. A Huguenot monarchy that went on to break Spain's monopoly on having a sunsentless empire.

Q: England and Northern Italy?
A:
Personal unions with the Spanish crowns. Otherwise, practically self-governing. They do send representatives to Toledo's penta-annual Corteses though.

Q: And Ireland and Scotland?
A:
Personal union, the former as the senior partner, ruled by an exiled cadet line of the Tudors that has since gone native and embraced an Anglo-Irish (overwhelmingly the latter these days) identity. And before anyone asks, the Auld Alliance holds strong... in no small part due to the Protestant faith shared by both Dublin and Paris. Yeah, some real hecky bizzare "neo-Celtic Christian not!Anglicanism" abounds in the Gaelic lands...

And that just about covers most of the major points, but of course there's more about this world which would drag this post on for too long if I keep typing. Feel free to ask away about (most of) anything (I have managed to figure out so far).

Stalling on the Analogue Horror crossover TL, both as I catch up with other series in the genre and also certain personal reasons I wish to not publicly disclose. So in the meantime I suppose I'll just dump another project on here that I've also been stalling on for quite awhile and probably am going to revise (mostly in terms of colouration) sometimes in the near future:

View attachment 811838

As for the answers of likely incoming FAQs regarding this TL:

Q: What's the POD?
A:
Prince Afonso of Portugal does not fall off his horse. He goes on to sire a son with Isabella of Aragon (eldest daughter of the Catholic monarchs), among other children. John, Prince of Asturias and Ferdinand and Isabella Sr.'s only son, still dies somehow post-POD. This leaves Afonso and Isabella Jr.'s kid (who let's say is also named John) in line to inherit not only Portugal, but the Castilian-Aragonese union as well. John's unified Avis-Trastamara line proceed to steal the Habsburgs' absurd marital luck charm, starting with him and a union with Navarre's female heir, and TTL's Spain that consists of all Iberia goes on to hold onto its title as the original "Empire upon which the Sun never sets".

Q: What year ITTL does the map depict?
A:
1935, "shortly before the Cortes of 1935". Think something like the British Imperial Conferences, but dubbed in Spanish and with the mother country having an even harder time to maintain her grip on her dominions.

Q: What's with France?
A:
Spain's Protestant rival just across the Pyrenees. A Huguenot monarchy that went on to break Spain's monopoly on having a sunsentless empire.

Q: England and Northern Italy?
A:
Personal unions with the Spanish crowns. Otherwise, practically self-governing. They do send representatives to Toledo's penta-annual Corteses though.

Q: And Ireland and Scotland?
A:
Personal union, the former as the senior partner, ruled by an exiled cadet line of the Tudors that has since gone native and embraced an Anglo-Irish (overwhelmingly the latter these days) identity. And before anyone asks, the Auld Alliance holds strong... in no small part due to the Protestant faith shared by both Dublin and Paris. Yeah, some real hecky bizzare "neo-Celtic Christian not!Anglicanism" abounds in the Gaelic lands...

And that just about covers most of the major points, but of course there's more about this world which would drag this post on for too long if I keep typing. Feel free to ask away about (most of) anything (I have managed to figure out so far).
How's the Ottoman doin? And how is there a Danubian Federation kinda thing?