WIP Map Thread

How's the Ottoman doin? And how is there a Danubian Federation kinda thing?
Turkey's still recently gone down the republican route, though not along an OTL-esque Kemalist model. Its border more or less conform to the Misak-i Milli boundaries. As for that "Danubian thing", those ain't Habbies. It's a Jagiellonian Bohemia-Hungary(and Croatia).

Turkey's still recently gone down the republican route, though not along an OTL-esque Kemalist model. Its border more or less conform to the Misak-i Milli boundaries. As for that "Danubian thing", those ain't Habbies. It's a Jagiellonian Bohemia-Hungary(and Croatia).
How's Turkey treating it's neighbors? And what's up with Iran?

How's Turkey treating it's neighbors?
Mildy sore that the guys to their east and south ganged up on them during "that big war that began over some damn fool thing along the Pyrenees". Nothing like the OTL Aremenian and Greek genocides have happened yet, but the situation of minorities is pretty rough in there and somewhat deteriorating.
And what's up with Iran?
Afsharid Dynasty-expy that did not die alongside their "Nader Shah" analogue. It's pretty much mostly Safavid borders, plus a recent acquisition of Mesopotamia east of the Euphrates.

Afsharid Dynasty-expy that did not die alongside their "Nader Shah" analogue. It's pretty much mostly Safavid borders, plus a recent acquisition of Mesopotamia east of the Euphrates.
How did the Iranians end up conquering Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and Sindh?

How did the Iranians end up conquering Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and Sindh?
Presumably the same way they did so under the OTL Safavid Dynasty. As for how they held onto it... well chalk it up to a mix of French imperial overstretch and disinterest in the area and some general defensive competence on the Iranian side. That and the place pulling a succesful "Meiji" as its called in the 19th century didn't hurt.

1677026292490.png

Hey, I'm not entirely sure if this is the place to ask, but I have a WIP TL and I'd like to ask your opinions about some aspects of it. The map is intended to be set around the year 1650.
The PoDs are:
-The Umayyads last longer on the throne of Al Andalus, thus avoiding the Taifa period.
-The Byzantines win a victory at Manzikert
The map is very work in progress, and I can answer any questions about specific aspects of it, but I would like to ask what would happen in central and eastern Europe. Without the crusades Prussia would likely not exist, and since Austria's rise to prominence was very dependent on circumstance I think they'd remain a fairly minor duchy in the HRE. Filling the power vacuum would probably be Sweden, Poland, and an independent Hungary, although I'm unsure how exactly that would play out. Further East, I imagine that the Principality of Moscow may be butterflied away entirely or remain a minor trading post, and so Russia likely wouldn't exist in the way we think of it. My idea is to have a larger Poland and Sweden in the west of Russia, with the rest being divided between a Novgorod Republic, the Golden Horde, and a state uniting some principalities in central Russia (Moscow? Smolensk?). I'm pretty uncertain about this though.

Any help and ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
What the heck am I looking at?
I don't want to give too much away right now, but there is a three-way cold war between a Longist United States, a post-fascist (though certainly no less authoritarian) Germany, and the anti-imperialist Empire of Japan. More details will follow soon.

I'm experimenting with color schemes while also using THICC as a guideline.

My actual hope is to commission someone to make a pixel art version of this map while also rendering it in Winkel-Tripel projection. I just need to get the base down first.

apd_reboot_001_w95.png

apd_reboot_001_flw.png

Alright, guys. Which color scheme do you like? The top one is based on Windows 95 and the bottom features colors of matching gradient to Cherokee Red. Both of these bear relevance to the lore.

Yet another idea popped into my head in spite of having about a half-dozen unfinished WIPs in my documents folder. Alas, I managed to get myself carried away with it, leading to:

Kathy's Greatest Plan.png

The world on the Ninth of June, Nineteen Fourty-One (O.S.)

One Hundred and Fourty-Nine Years since the Restoration of Christian Rule to Constantinople
Seventeen Years since the End of the Great European War (also called "the War of the Tenth Coalition")
Fifteen Years since the Second French Revolution
Seven Years into the Russian Civil War

Eve of the Great Balkan War
As for answers to likely incoming FAQs:

Q: TL Premise?
A:
Thanks to a vague indeterminable POD circa. 1780 and its butterflies, Catherine the Great's Greek Plan actually does go somewhere ITTL and fulfills its goal of driving out the Ottomans out of Europe. The Balkans are thus partitioned between Austria and Russia, with the latter setting up a couple of clients in their slice of the pie: a "Dacian Kingdom" and a Neo-Byzantine Empire (what ITTL is known as "Romania"). The first monarchs of these two new states are Catherine's boyfriend and her grandson respectively. (Yes, that was actually part of the plan.).

Q: Other butterflies of note?
A:
The Napoleonic Wars stalemate, leading to a tense awkward alternate Concert of Europe that finally implodes with a Great War type conflict between a strange Franco-Austro-Prussian Entente and an Anglo-Italo-Russian Coalition. The latter won it, hence the current state of Europe.

Q: What's with Russia?
A:
The price of victory proved too high, and barely three years after the guns fell silent the Russian Empire too fall to revolution. An unstable republic followed, which then underwent a military coup following a mismanaged famine relief effort. Parliament fled from the Republican capital of Moscow to the old Tsarist capital of Petrograd, and civil war ensued. As of present, place is a convoluted mess plagued by warlords and separatism.

Q: Given the timing of the POD, does the USA still exist?
A
: Yes they do, I just haven't gotten around to putting them on the map yet (that and figuring out their borders ITTL).

Q: Any other potential future additions to the map?
A:
Let's just say China has awoken and will soon shake the world (and in particular, the British).

Last edited:
so let's just say i've been busy as of late working on south america in the same universe as this map i posted last time
1677715368420.png

current rundown of the amazon
- state government itself is basically run by corporations, has the largest brown water navy in south america
- various europeans set up companies towards the east (still planning to add some more, they're largely based on rubber extraction and exporting tropical wood)
- the red blob thing is the cabanagem federation, which i may do subdivisions for but there's no guarantee this will actually happen
- the yanomami are confederalised, this may also be subject to change, but i'm not quite sure yet
- ecuador's navy is collaborating with para's to maintain the flow of trade (largely) uninterrupted
- the outer guiana shield company (south of colombia) currently makes all their money from importing contraband goods to colombia's elite

image.png
I am still working on Anbennar; this time working with demographic majority by ... I'm gonna say "race", but in the fantasy acceptation of the term.
After all, humans, elves (including the Ruinborn) and Orcs are interfertile in setting... and many creatures can be abducted by a harpy to allow her to have some daughters.
So far, my main conclusion is that I handled badly one of the wastelands in South Aelantir and one in the Salahad.

Ragnorok scroll.png

The Nazis find some obscure magic nonsense and send the British Empire to the bottom of the sea. A homage to all those wonky stories of the Nazis seeking out magic artifacts.

EDIT:
Ragnorok scroll.png

Last edited:
1677957428915.png

An inset for a Q BAM I've been working on, the Q BAM has been WIP for about a year but this I started last night. Yes this is a Slavic low countries, in particular the Serbs and Sorbs ended up here, which is why you can see some Sorbian tribes represented in the toponymy. Migrations be wildin. As far as non-Slavic groups go, Avan is the last Frisian city in what was prior to the migration event Frisian territory, Miltchanska Zhupa has considerable Gallo-Romance and Saxon influence and presences, and Alsace has a large population of Allemanic Germans. You'll never guess the POD from this map since this is centuries after it and far from the area the POD happened in & I've used a very strong butterfly effect ITTL.

I will use more English-like orthography here
  • Banovinas
    • Pomorska = by the sea, coastal
    • Zorinska = derived from Zora, dawn
    • Povioglye = by the Vioglya river (the Meuse, Vioglya from Vioga meaning bend or twist in a river), so by the twisted river
    • Torañska = of the tower, referring to the city of Torañ, OTL Tournai
  • Duchies
    • Milchanska = of the Milchani, a tribe
    • Polyana = field
    • Telyani = from a Germanic word for canal in reference to the channels between the islands. The people of the Canals basically. An allohistorical reference to the Canalites of OTL medieval Serbia. These are a vassal tribe rather than a feudal domain
    • Barre = Swamps, pools
    • Ostrob = island
    • Plovlye = floodplain or land of flowing, on account of the lower Rhine and Meuse
    • Morichka = the Moriches, another tribe, not Sorbian but absorbed ITTL
    • Borichi = another tribe, this time not an OTL one the descendants of a man named Bor, the ancestors name means Pine
    • Kolyedichka = another OTL Sorbian tribe, descendants of a Koledar, a kind of pagan ritual dancer and singer (IOTL the term has come to refer to a kind of masked Christmas caroler)
    • Gerbalyska = of the Gerbalyi/Grbalji, the hunchbacked people. Hunchback is a really common basis for surnames and tribal names among the Serbs and Croats.
    • Primetachlye = by Metz
    • Borovitova Vozhitsa = Borovit's Vosge region, named after a noble that ruled the area
    • Alsachka Kraina = Alsatian March
  • Cities
    • Grañevo = from Aquae Grannus, the Roman name for Aachen
    • Movimedj = from Noviomagus
    • Avañ = from Frisian Haven
    • Torañ = tower, corrupted from Tournai
    • Voditze = waters, little waters
    • Bar = an OTL name, modern Bar-le-duc
    • Metatz = Metz, also an OTL name

Last edited: