Wilhelm I, Bismarck, and Moltke killed at Königgrätz?

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Old1812, Sep 11, 2019 at 7:07 PM.

1. Old1812 Reactionary Monarchist Twit

I'm unable to find a source for this at the moment, but apparently, King Wilhelm I of Prussia, Otto von Bismarck, and Helmuth von Moltke were standing on a hilltop as they observed the battle at Königgrätz. When they discovered their position was in range of Austrian artillery as shells began falling around them, they remembered their importance and quickly left.

But what if a lucky Austrian shot manages to kill all three? How will the NDB manage without the Prussian head of state, the architect of their policy, and the architect of the Prussian army? Are the Austrians able to pull out a victory at Königgrätz, and perhaps even the war?

2. Heldenhammer For Are We Not All Sigmar's Heirs?

I view them as the key to a unified Germany. Without them, the course of modern history would've changed dramatically. I would expect Austria to collapse faster without the help of Germany, and the German city states being gobbled up by France and neighboring powers or united under AH in some League.

3. raharris1973 Well-Known Member

Well that sure is a broad range of diametrically opposed potential outcomes!

4. raharris1973 Well-Known Member

What does the OP expect to happen? Who were the next royals, politicians, and generals in the line of succession on the Prussian side? How prone to panic versus professionalism would they be? How far apart were they from each other physically. If they were with Moltke/Wilhelm/Bismark they could be killed too, if they are several days ride from each other cooperation could be diffcult, if they are no more than an hour or two's ride from each other and can assemble to parley and decide on what to do next, the Prussians can do OK.

5. Mikestone8 Well-Known Member

Why exactly? Assuming the Prussians still win the battle, Frederick III's peace terms probably won't be much different from Bismarck's, so there's still a North German Confederation, which probably goes on to acquire the southern states. Indeed, a Prussia ruled by the more liberal Frederick is probably more appealing to Bavaria et al. Big question is whether France will allow this to happen w/o a fight. If not, the very little has changed from OTL.

irc, Frederick, as Crown Prince approved of the alliance with Austria-Hungary.