WI

I have been wondering what would have happened if the assassination attempt staged by von Stauffenberg in 1944 would have been succesfull.
I don't think it would have ended the war, not at that point at least.
The outcome would have depended on who seized the power, and what motives they followed.
The Wehrmacht for example, they had known that the war was lost, so they could have decided to secure the east front (as far as possible) and negotiate with the Allies. At this point it is unrealistic to expect the Allies ro settle for less than complete surrender, but you never know how they would have reacted to Hitlers death. Another point being that there could have very well been a struggle for power between Goebbels, Goering and Himmler none of them being a good alternative. Each of them would have tried to elongate the war, and probably succeeded. Thus making it plausible for the atomic bomb to drop on Germany.

yeah right,
but that isn't my point!
At that point there wasn't any doubt about who would win!! The variable lies with the details, such as how long would the war last, what military changes would another german leader provide.....
etc etc etc