WI: William Hearst elected Mayor of New York in 1905

This is for a timeline I am working on, and I will cite you guys in the work. The basic idea is that enough of the fraud is discovered, or the election results are overturned, allowing for William Hearst to become Mayor of New York City. What I do not know is how he would have governed. Would he be able to defeat Tammany Hall? Would he be popular? Would he be effective?

Charles Evan Hughes is another important figure. Hearst had wanted to run him for Mayor of New York in 1905, but he refused. Hearst has established his Independence Party in order to contest elections in New York. Hughes is promised by Hearst that if he joins the Independence Party, he will have his support for the Governership of New York. Would he do so?

Assuming these two major victories for the party, would it be able to have an effective national presence if promoted through William Hearst's Newspaper Empire?

I have a hard time seeing Hughes joining the Independence League. I see Hearst and Tammany Hall would be at loggerheads. So much so an assassination attempt cannot be ruled out. If Hearst does get the upper hand and sheds some of his "Radical" aura he might win as governor in 1906 and could very well go into become president.

Oh, gahd. President Hearst my worst nightmare.:eek::eek:

Why? What would be particularly awful about him?

Of course, a lot depends on when he's nominated. If it's 1908, then he probably loses to Taft, as Bryan did OTL. This of course leaves Bryan still available for 1912 - which could make for interesting times.

TheCrow__

Banned
Why? What would be particularly awful about him?

Of course, a lot depends on when he's nominated. If it's 1908, then he probably loses to Taft, as Bryan did OTL. This of course leaves Bryan still available for 1912 - which could make for interesting times.

Hearst was one of the most racist SOBs out there. And he almost single handedly erradicated the hemp business in America. So if hew was president I could see things being alot worse in US.

But what would he do as Mayor of New York?

I find it funny that I have made no mention of him being President, and that is what is being discussed.

Hearst would have had a heck of a time getting Tammany out of the way, as publicly fighting Tammany was suicide even though Hearst was the better mudslinger. Privately, Hearst has enough skeletons in his closet for Tammany to win. Remember Hearst was once known as "The most hated man in America". Spanish American War, agressive business practices, his lavish spending, and... <thinks of term besides megalomania>... his drive to outperform all his colleagues by leaps and bounds in newspaper markets.

In terms of how he would govern, always a toss up. He was never really a deep thinker, and was known to change his opinions often. He would definitely be against corporate corruption, and also government corruption. He would become instantly unpopular with both parties for trying to destroy both of their machines in New York. His business managers: Coblentz (Editor in Chief at the New York American) and Joseph Willicombe (Hearst's Secretary) would be deeply involved in the mayor's office.

Hearst's only hope to be more than a one-termer is to stay incredibly popular with the electorate, and have both parties political machines flounder. This means Hearst will be flinging mudballs every chance he can.

Also I don't think Hearst and Hughes would get along very well. Now then Hearst and Calvin Coolidge? Hearst adored him, and Coolidge got along as amicably with him as anyone beside Marion Davies did.

That's a paradox of Hearst, his favorite president of the 20th century was Calvin Coolidge (He thought FDR would turn Oliver Cromwell on America 1940 and beyond.).

Although since people seem to be asking. Here is how you make Hearst President.

At the 1932 DNC, Hearst controlled Garner's CA delegates. Roosevelt needed them to get the nom. So complicated story made simple Garner named VP by FDR to get the delegates. Garner also said the following quote about the Vice presidency, "Not worth a bucket of warm spit".

The POD, Garner declines becoming VP, Hearst jumps on the opportunity before FDR can retract the offer. Roosevelt has to take Hearst as VP or risk losing the nomination to Smith or someone else. 1932 election goes a little better for Hoover not by much though. Then kill FDR, there you got President Hearst.

No NRA, Big Business style recovery, maybe a PWA, no chance for a WPA. Foreign policy wise, Hearst would stumble a bit, make amateur mistakes, but eventually learn. Expect him to be adamantly opposed to any League of Nations or anything smelling of internationalism, and also be demanding that Europe pay its debts to the US following WW1. He will try his hand negotiating with Hitler, and be utterly disgusted with the man. 50% chance of British-American friendship and lend-lease, odds improve if Churchill is PM (Hearst knew him personally), but expect America to be firmly isolationist until a Pearl Harbor happens. He would dislike France, find Italy acceptable (he and Mussolini got along well), be best friends with the UK, loathe Stalin, side with Japan over China, as long as US interests aren't threatened.

Hearst was one of the most racist SOBs out there. And he almost single handedly erradicated the hemp business in America. So if hew was president I could see things being alot worse in US.

I gather he was particularly down on Mexicans - perhaps because he lost 800,000 acres of prime timber land to the depredations of Pancho Villa. So if he becomes POTUS[1] during the "Wilson" period then intervention in Mexico might go further than OTL.

[1] Or Secretary of State. See the NYT article at http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9E05E5DA153CE633A25753C2A9639C946396D6CF
for the widespread belief that he might be SoS and "power behind the throne" in a Champ Clark administration. Personally, though, I suspect Clark would be rather more his own man than the writer seems to assume.

Hearst's performance as mayor would be done looking to use it as a springboard for running for governor of NY in 1906. While Hearst would eventually become a reactionary in OTL he was in this period identified with the Radical WJB wing of the Democratic Party (though to my knowledge he never endorsed free silver). I would see him as mayor trying to be a reformer which would put him on a collision course with the political machines yet also try to avoid anything "kooky".

Before we move on to Hearst as possible president we must deal with whether or not he becomes governor and if he does how does he behave as governor.

The plot of Citizen Kane would probably change to have Kane winning the Governorship. If Hearst went on to do great things, then the whole film might change its meaning or not get made at all.

TheCrow__

Banned
I brought up Hearst being president because someone else said it in like the third post I believe. But Hearst was very racist around the 20's and 30's. Mostly to as you said Hispanics but also toward negroes. He used this racism to end the hemp business in America. Putting out articles about negroes high on marijuana raping white women, stepping on white men's shadows, and other hysterical stories. This culminated into the Marihuana Tax Act. Which virtually made all use, distribution, and cultivating of marijuana and hemp illegal. Unless you got a stamp from the Treasury. The thing was the Treasury was'nt giving out stamps. Also you would have to incriminate yourself by bringing in your stampless hemp to get a stamp. It was all ridiculous baurecratic and corporate corruptedness that got rid of hemp. Hemp could have made us far more economically and enviromentally stable.

You know Crow. Your signature is almost exactly like a Hearst quote from one of his editorials. except it was communism not capitalism

The exact quote was something like this "If there were no Communism, there would be no threat of fascism" with fascism implied as the extreme reaction to communism

>>>>>

Assuming a successful New York mayor's term, Hearst would probably either have to have destroyed Tammany Hall, become a democrat again and basically build a new political machine with himself at the core... which would fight against political machines... Only Hearst would be oblivious to that... As a third party Hearst has little hope of getting governor.

Although I am fairly knowledgable about Hearst in the 20s and 30s I am not so much on 00s and 10s, and I am not sure how Tammany would perform.

TheCrow__

Banned
Lol that is pretty funny. Yeah I know Hearst took on communism during the Red Scare. Saying that smoking marijuana caused people to be pacifists. Really contradictory don't you think. I have deep disdain for Hearst.:D

W A Swanberg (Citizen Hearst, Ch 10) has a lovely story about him.

At the height of the jingoistic fervour of 1917/18, when Hearst was deeply unpopular because of his antiwar stance, He entered a New York restaurant where a woman hissed "Boche" at him.

Hearst bowed and replied "You're right Madam. It is all bosh".