WI : war between Indonesia and Malaysia

what would happen if war broke out between indonesia and malaysia? would australia and singapore be dragged in?

It wouldn't be anything large scale- neither Malaysia not Indonesia really has the amphibious capability to do much and projecting power across Borneo would be...difficult.

You might well see guerilla bombings and so forth which would be problematic. The main issue would be the Straits of Malacca- choking off the main trade route of half the planet would have repercussions. You've just cut the main oil export route to Singapore, China and Japan and since Singapore by itself is a major oil refining centre that makes for even greater knock on effects.

im talking about 1990s and beyond, and i meant declared war, not terrorist action like the konfrontasi

In that case the Five Power Defence Agreement swings into action and Indonesia has to face Australia, the UK and Singapore. And New Zealand but I don't think there's much they can do except strap a bomb to a sheep, put it on a dinghy and shove it in the direction of Java.

Having said that I'm not sure what sort of realistic POD in the 1990s could lead to all out war between Malaysia and Indonesia. In the late 90s both countries were busy recovering from the Asian Financial Crisis and before that both countries were economically booming. The crisis actually got a lot of ASEAN countries working even more closely, especially after Suharto's government fell in Indonesia. Hard to do.

Riain

Banned
In And New Zealand but I don't think there's much they can do except strap a bomb to a sheep, put it on a dinghy and shove it in the direction of Java.

No, we'd deliver the Maori troops in our ships and tell them that someone in Indonesia said that they were gay. WAR WON!

Can you guys knock off on the kiwi jokes? If you don't value our contribution that is fine, but no need to be a dick about it.

Anyway, back on topic. What would be the most likely POD for a 1990s onwards war? Would it be as simple as a East Timor turning into a proper conflict, or are there better candidates?

Riain

Banned
Can you guys knock off on the kiwi jokes? If you don't value our contribution that is fine, but no need to be a dick about it.

Only stirring, in all honesty the Kiwis were quite innovative in Vietnam. Their artillery battery was known to the VC as 'The Orchestra' because it used to fire salvos which would put all 6 rounds on target at once which frightened the bejesus out of the enemy. Also their 2 man M60 teams would be picked for their size and regularly carried 1000 rounds of ammo, a good 300 or so rounds more than anyone else, making for good persistance in contacts.

"You know, without Islam, you would be just like the Philippines, only without those cute little Jeepneys scooting around."

"Oooo! You take that back! You take that back now! Very back!"

"You know it's true! Take away Islam, add over-decorated Jeeps with too many people on them, bam! Make sure you got some shoes for the 'first lady!'"

"Ooooo! No! Take away Islam, and you would be just like the Philippines, only without the good singers and the little corny Jeeps!"

"Aaaa! You take that back! How dare you!"

"No way! I will take you apart! I will pummel you into many smaller pieces of yourself!"

"No! I'm doing that to you, first!"