WI - Trotsky doesn't return to Russia in 1905?

In OTL, Leon Trotsky secretly returned to Russia in February 1905 after the "Bloody Sunday".

However, in a timeline that I'm working on, there is no "Bloody Sunday" nor a Revolution of 1905. Russia has come out ahead in the Russo-Japanese War.

Leon Trotsky possibly doesn't see the time as ripe for his return to Russia, so what happens? Does this change the later revolution and the USSR? Does Trotsky become a mostly forgotten figure of Russian history?

Last edited:
According his own writings;
At the Second Party Congress in the summer of 1903 I represented the Siberian Union together with Dr. Mandelberg. Once the Congress split into the Majority and the Minority I joined the opposition which had later developed into the so-called "Menshevism". At that time I published in Geneva a brochure by the name of "Our Political Tasks". But as soon as Menshevism started to formulate its tactics, in the sense of advocating that the proletariat coordinates its actions with the political bourgeoisie during the period of our "bourgeois" revolution, I broke with the Mensheviks and stood outside both factions.
After the 9th of January, when the popular movement started in Russia I travelled illegally via Austria to Kiev and St. Petersburg.
http://web.mit.edu/people/fjk/essays/Trotsky-bio.html

So, Trotsky doesn't see it yet as the opportune time to travel back to Russia with no "Bloody Sunday" unrest...yet...

It seems likely to me that G. S. Khrustalev-Nosar would remain the president of the St. Petersburg Soviet of Workers’ Deputies for awhile longer. With the unrest lessened, he'd be less at risk of being arrested. IOTL, Trotsky only became president of the organisation after Khrustalev's arrest.

Lenin was in disagreement with Khrustalev's ideas IOTL
http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1906/jul/04.htm

When Khrustalev is replaced it's probably by another Menshevik; Parvus.

Perhaps St. Petersburg Soviet of Workers’ Deputies just fiddles around not getting anywhere for a few years, not having any strong leadership. The Russian Revolution - the big one - is delayed but nobody remembers Trotsky, and he returns too late to be of any relevance in the local power structure.

Last edited: