WI: Timothy McVeigh Assassinates Janet Reno

• Thread starter Deleted member 177304
  • Start date

Deleted member 177304

IOTL Timothy McVeigh originally considered assassinating Janet Reno before he settled on bombing the Murrah Federal Building. So what if, in an ATL, he went through with his original plan and succeeded?

Brylyth

Banned
For one it would have made far more sense as a act of political violence than bombing a federal building without checking to see if the feds you want dead are all at work. For another she had far more guilt than some random ATF desk jockey in OKC since she authorized WACO directly.

So expect his reputation to not be as universally condemned.

As for other consequences it would likely have resulted in a similar level of crackdown on militia movements as happened with the aftermath of OKC bombing, but because you wouldn't have pictures of dead kids and other innocents it would likely has been far messier. It could lead instead to another OKC Bombing type of attack to take place later on, and this time ot could be something better aimed.

Overall this mean it would have been a better plan for McVeigh. Then again someone who actually thinks The Turner Diaries is a good book isn't exactly mentally sound so no surprise he ignored a good plan for a bad one. (Like seriously the book is horrible. It doesn't even make make internal sense from a neonazi/white supremacist lens. So much lf it comes off as self sabotage. It would be like a commie revolution book talking about how you need to kill workers who unionize before you kill bourgeoise.)

Last edited:
The public reaction focuses on gun control and security for government officials. Depending on what happens to McVeigh in the aftermath, it's possible he gets pegged as a lone nutjob instead of associated with the militia movement, and there's less of a backlash against that type of movement in the late 1990s.

He might get killed like one of those right wing wackos on the 90's and not that big outside the us... ON THE OTHER Hand that the first female Attorney General was assassinated might give enough stuff to fill ID

There's also the fact that McVeigh thought the entire siege was only about gun possession and gun rights, completely ignoring David Koresh's manipulation of his cult and sexual assault of its members.

There's also the fact that McVeigh thought the entire siege was only about gun possession and gun rights, completely ignoring David Koresh's manipulation of his cult and sexual assault of its members.
The whole thing was still handled incredibly incompetently koresh would regularly go into town alone all you needed was to simply nab him while he was shopping with a couple guys. Much less expense much fewer dead people.

Given her actions in Ruby Ridge and Waco, I can probably see some quiet (or not) "serves her right" talk to an extant that you'd NEVER see from something like the OKC bombing.

Be ironic if McVeigh's trial becomes to certain groups on the right what the OJ Simpson trial was to some groups on the left.

Oh, and one massive positive: A few hundred men women and kids in Oklahoma City live.

<snip!>

Overall this mean it would have been a better plan for McVeigh. Then again someone who actually thinks The Turner Diaries is a good book isn't exactly mentally sound so no surprise he ignored a good plan for a bad one. (Like seriously the book is horrible. It doesn't even make make internal sense from a neonazi/white supremacist lens. So much lf it comes off as self sabotage. It would be like a commie revolution book talking about how you need to kill workers who unionize before you kill bourgeoise.)
Agreed with this! I read the book and my first thought was what a bloodthirsty sicko William Pierce must have been, *in addition to* being a racist asshole.

Brylyth

Banned
I am honestly partial to the idea the book and Pierce were some sort of honeypot or government COINTELPRO for white supremacy terrorism. The book just doesn't work for trying to make any of it sound good (which you would think would be Pierce's objective) and at points offers completly backwards advice and ideas on its own effort (kill whites in your own white supremacist org who MAY have some sort of less virulent racism! And innocent whites as well just to scare all of them into staying racist!) I mean the book opens in what is supposed to be the near future of around 10 years after publication and already all civilian gun ownership is banned. Like excuse me? Think we may want some more context on how this jewish cabal pulled this off mr. Pierce? Think this may help anyone you are trying to convince to come over? Oh no forget about it just happened anyway let me go on the first of many rants about how much Turner hates n*****s!

The only part of the book that is any "good" is the chapter where Turner goes into suspiciously good detail on how to build a advanced racism device (bomb) which has been removed and edited into offering bad adviced after OKC.

Last edited: