WI: The Tank Is Invented In 1913?

The tank, a beast which was developed too late to make a difference in WWI. But what if it was developed before war broke out?

What if the concept was developed before the war started, which side would be able to develop it quickest and what effect would it have assuming that WWI happens in the same way?

The tank, a beast which was developed too late to make a difference in WWI. But what if it was developed before war broke out?

What if the concept was developed before the war started, which side would be able to develop it quickest and what effect would it have assuming that WWI happens in the same way?
As early as 1903 IIRC there were plans for motorized vehicles with large guns, so it's not totally unrealistic. The main problem is that the militaries of Europe were very conservative, as in they preferred the old ways of waging war (an example is how many believed tanks to be exclusive to WWI and everyone would go back to using cavalry afterwards). If you could find a way to bypass this mentality, then sure, tanks could be used maybe as early as the Italo-Turkish/1st Balkan War.

Driftless

Donor
A couple of hooks to an early appearance... The shorter length Holt type track would work great for pre-trench Europe. As soon as trench warfare sets in, then longer bodied tanks would be needed, or improved means for crossing trenches. The very slow speed would limit their use for more set-piece battles, rather than the mobile warfare of the first months of the OTL war. Could the transmissions and suspensions have been adapted more quickly than OTL to achieve better cross-country speed? Even 10mph/ 16kph would have been even more decisive. Can you imagine the impact of a (relatively speedy) Whippet Mk A in 1914?

Considering that the Briitsh, French, and Germans (essentially) were starting from scratch, they did come up with some workable solutions. Emphasis on workable vs steps that might have been technically possible.

As early as 1903 IIRC there were plans for motorized vehicles with large guns, so it's not totally unrealistic. The main problem is that the militaries of Europe were very conservative, as in they preferred the old ways of waging war (an example is how many believed tanks to be exclusive to WWI and everyone would go back to using cavalry afterwards). If you could find a way to bypass this mentality, then sure, tanks could be used maybe as early as the Italo-Turkish/1st Balkan War.
Probably the best way to bypass this mentality is for it to be seen as a piece of engineering equipment, something used for attacking fortresses, the engineers I would imagine are less conservative and something for reducing fortresses faster fits in with the dominant maneuver warfare paradigm.

To do this primary armament would likely be a flamethrower, to burn out outlying works that would otherwise require some of the huge siege guns to deal with. Tracks would be to cover ditches, fascines and other obstacles, while armor would protect against rifle fire, and you would want to mount machine guns of your own for protection. Speed isn't really a priority, but greater mobility than something like Big Bertha or the Gamma Morser is, because you don't want your army waiting around longer than it has to

As a piece of engineering equipment the logical developers would be the Germans, as they went heaviest into equipment for taking fortresses as they planned on having to go through Belgium and its fortresses. Impact would not be too much, but say Liege falling on the 15th instead of the 16th while small generates enormous butterflies, more likely to the Central Powers benefit than not

There were a handful of armoured cars pre WWI, and tracked vehicles. If you found a reason to combine the two you have a tank. Perhaps there's a colonial campaign off the beaten track that prompts it. They're not going to be in large enough use to effect the 1914 campaign as I doubt even the major powers would have more than two companies of them at the time. The difference would be in 1916.

Last edited:
There were a handful of armoured cars pre WWI, and tracked vehicles. If you found a reason to combine the two you have a tank. Perhaps there's a colonial campaign off the beaten track that prompts it.

Maybe the Italians use it in 1911 to demolish heavy Ottoman fortifications?

You could have an armored car easily before WW1 with the likes of the cars that were produced by different nations. Look at the UK in their different areas for colonial work, The US in the Philippines, Mexico, and Caribbean. France in North Africa and other African Colonies. Germany in their African colonies, maybe use a Mercedes or two in them. Once you have the armored car you could see the tank as a logical follow on with the terrain by needing something more offroad.

I think the half-track would be the natural progression after the armoured car before you get to the tank. Even then something like the universal carrier might precede a turreted tank.

Driftless

Donor
I think the half-track would be the natural progression after the armoured car before you get to the tank. Even then something like the universal carrier might precede a turreted tank.
Adolphe Kegresse had worked up half-tracks for the Tsar by 1912 I believe. I think though, those were more for official use, rather than military at that point.

Plus, there were numerous shade-tree mechanics in the US that jury-rigged Ford Model T's and other autos into a half-track configuration, for winter time travel on crappy rural US roads. I can imagine that sort of ad hoc conversion was done across the globe pre-WW1

Driftless

Donor
Limitations accepted, but imagine a mobile company or two of 1913 Universal Carriers showing up to blunt an attack, or support the flanks of a breakthrough. Even if not as fast on the move as horse or mule toted MGs, a carrier wouldn't require setup or tear down to go into action.

Adolphe Kegresse had worked up half-tracks for the Tsar by 1912 I believe. I think though, those were more for official use, rather than military at that point.

Plus, there were numerous shade-tree mechanics in the US that jury-rigged Ford Model T's and other autos into a half-track configuration, for winter time travel on crappy rural US roads. I can imagine that sort of ad hoc conversion was done across the globe pre-WW1
Not to mention the Lombard Steam Log Hauler which was built in 1901, which was basically a Steam locomotive on tracks used to haul logs around logging camps. Could see something like that adapted for artillery tractors.

Well George Cayley developed his 'Universal Railway' or caterpillar track back in 1826 and suggested a prototype internal combustion engine powered by gunpowder suggesting that gaseous vapours would be a better fuel.

I can see using a armored car for colonial policing and using the as developed half track like Kegresse was doing or something like the Model T Ford units that were commercially available as an aftermarket item like the Rucksteel axle. There were also aftermarket kits for the Model T that replaced the rear wheels with steel wheels like the tractors used back then that would be used for an armored car. Get Browning developing something earlier as a machine gun in the US to mount on the armored car would be interesting.

I can see using a armored car for colonial policing and using the as developed half track like Kegresse was doing or something like the Model T Ford units that were commercially available as an aftermarket item like the Rucksteel axle. There were also aftermarket kits for the Model T that replaced the rear wheels with steel wheels like the tractors used back then that would be used for an armored car. Get Browning developing something earlier as a machine gun in the US to mount on the armored car would be interesting.
Yeah, I feel like the general consensus is that, by WW1, armored car tech would be pretty developed, but what is classified as an actual tank would act more like a railway gun/slow motorized howitzer carriage.

Yeah, I feel like the general consensus is that, by WW1, armored car tech would be pretty developed, but what is classified as an actual tank would act more like a railway gun/slow motorized howitzer carriage.
Railway guns and armed (and armoured) trains had showed that mobile MGs and guns were useful, and early attempts had been made to make mobile MGs (there's the quadricycle mounted maxim).
So for me, the benefits of (relatively) mobile weapons had been identified which means that the main barriers were motive power and off-road capability. If you can get an offroad steam tractor that can carry a 6" or bigger gun and enough armour to keep out rifle calibre weapons, you could have a tank a bit earlier, even if it's more an assault gun than a real tank.

Agree with view that the armoured car would come first ...

The tank is a response to trench warfare ... no trenches, no demand for a solution to trenches ..

Instead you would get mobile warfare, with machinegun armed armoued cars rushing running all over the place ... which COULD evolve (eventally) into the tank .. but not anything like the huge lunbering Mk IV's .. because the tank would be an answer to the armoured cars, not the trenches ..

Agree with view that the armoured car would come first ...

The tank is a response to trench warfare ... no trenches, no demand for a solution to trenches ..

Instead you would get mobile warfare, with machinegun armed armoued cars rushing running all over the place ... which COULD evolve (eventally) into the tank .. but not anything like the huge lunbering Mk IV's .. because the tank would be an answer to the armoured cars, not the trenches ..
I'd be looking at the BA or the later British wheeled tank armoured cars for an indication of how tanks without tracks might end up. Of course the early anti armour vehicles would likely have a light cannon or HMG or just maybe a 37mm (French SA18 37mm or COW gun?) and either a gun shield or just light armour. There were several OTL designs where light (37 to 47mm and possibly 3"/76mm) guns were simply mounted on a flat bad for mobile AA use. Intermediate vehicles would probably end up like the sdkfz 222 or a portee mounted cannon.

Put this body onto the running gear of one of the early crawler tractors and hey presto one landship

300px-Seabrook_armoured_lorry.jpg
OIP.1Ta8835itJ6_veDPg7u2nwHaFl