WI:The eight nation alliance

The eight nation alliance. Britain,USA,Russia,Germany,Japan,Austria-Hungery ,France and Italy. What would it take for the Eight of them to create the UN.

Last edited:
I know most AH has nothing but contempt for them, but if you're referring to OTL's Alliance, then you mean Austria-Hungary, not India.

The idea for a "League of Nations" was not solely American or entirely the result of the First World War. Theodore Roosevelt proposed a "League of Peace" and several of the leading British thinkers ultimately influencing the TOV were hoping for something like the LON. The ideas were there.

My thought would be that the Congress of Vienna (and later Berlin) style international conference to resolve Great Power disputes takes deeper root, perhaps with an annual meeting rather than merely "after the fact". Had the Great Powers leaned more on collective diplomacy you might get on the path. So Vienna becomes the regular forum for all the European powers to has out threats to peace and after Berlin there are regular conferences regarding the Balkans. If these become part of Great power politics then you are on the way. I think you have a long stretch but China might have been more a "restore peace" rather than exact retribution exercise here, the various colonial crisis over Morocco might have lured in the USA to propose the more formal League of Peace and TR might join it more fully, this is the best roadmap I can think of to put the Great Powers into using a formal peaceful negotiated system into play before the Great War as a way to actually let the powers talk and agree.

You might want to swap India for China in the OP.
India not being a country and all before WWI.

I mean, he's taking the name for this from an OTL alliance that was created specifically to oppose China, so that doesn't make much more sense. I'm still waiting on his explanation for omitting Austria-Hungary from it, though.