In 1973, Stephen King wrote Carrie, his breakthrough hit. Overnight, he went from having to give up on phone service to save money to being one of hottest new American authors. Ever since, he's been a major part of the landscape of horror literature.

However, this was by no means guaranteed. When he first started working on it, he thought it wasn't going well and threw out the three pages he had wrote. Tabitha, his wife, fished them out and encouraged him to finish the story.

What if Tabitha hadn't found the pages, or Stephen hadn't listened to her?

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
to answer quickly: i won't be reading this thread.

to answer properly: i still won't be reading this thread but i might be reading a " WI stephen king made a book named carrie"

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . he went from having to give up on phone service to save money to being one of hottest new American authors. . .
And I think he got actually some of the money early enough so that he was able to provide his mother with some creature comforts in the months before her death due to cancer.

Last edited:
If you factor in the movie adaptions, a King-less pop-culture butterflies away SO MUCH, I'm tempted to say the entertainment landscape becomes unrecognizable; hundreds of careers have their trajectories radically changed, or never existed to begin with.

From just Carrie alone, there's probably no career for Brian De Palma, nor for Sissy Spacek. And Jack Nicholson minus The Shining doesn' t end up with his late-career caricature as a wild-eyed, manic-grinned lunatic.

Sorry. Just checked. Phantom Of The Paradise predates Carrie by a few years, so De Palma might already have been on his way to the top by that point.

John Travolta started on Welcome Back Kotter in 1975. But I wonder if he woulda made the jump to the big screen without Carrie in 1976.

A Travolta with a TV-based career changes a LOT, I would think.

Last edited:
Cissy Spacek would have less fun. She described in a interview how she was in New York when it hit the opening run theaters. She went in to those several times, just to see the audience jump in the seats when her hand came out of the grave to grab the survivors wrist.

Here's a list of major Stephen King adaptations and their potential pop culture butterflies:

Carrie (1976): This has been seen as a breakthroughfor Brian De Palma and Sissy Spacek, but both were already active in Hollywood and probably would have been successful even without this film.

The Shining (1980): This was a career-defining film for both Jack Nicholson and Stanley Kubrick, and spawned a million-and-a-half parodies of the "here's Johnny" scene.

Children of the Corn (1984): This is one of the classic horror franchises of the '80s, and without it I think the genre would be dominated by more straightforward slasher flicks.

Stand By Me (1986): Rob Reiner's third feature film, and first that wasn't a comedy, without this movie, he might have gotten pigeonholed in comedies and not gone on to direct A Few Good Men. This may also have butterflied away the career of Aaron Sorkin, who wrote the screenplays for A Few Good Men and The American President. Stand By Me was also a breakout role for Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Jerry O'Connell, and Kiefer Sutherland.

Misery (1990): Another film directed by Rob Reiner, butterflying this movie away costs Kathy Bates her Oscar, which would go instead to Anjelica Huston, Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep, or Joanne Woodward.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994): This film wouldn't actually have had much of a butterfly effect on casting, since Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman were already established when it came out, but the movie itself is widely considered a classic and has been influential on generations of viewers.

Apt Pupil (1998): One of the earlier sexual abuse allegations against Bryan Singer occured during the filming of this movie, and this movie never having been made may have influenced how future allegations against him were received. The film was also a major role for Brad Renfro, whose personal life went into a downward spiral shortly after filming and who died of a drug overdose in 2008. It's tempting to imagine that without this film the butterflies would have worked out in such a way that things turned out better for Renfro.

The Green Mile (1999): This was a breakout role for Michael Clarke Duncan, who went on to star in several action and comedy movies in the early 2000s.

It (2017-2019): One of the few blockbusters in the second half of the 2010s that wasn't heavily reliant on an existing franchise. Without it, studios might beeven less willing than they are now to greenlight non-franchise movies.

The Shining (1980): This was a career-defining film for both Jack Nicholson and Stanley Kubrick, and spawned a million-and-a-half parodies of the "here's Johnny" scene.

I wouldn't say that The Shining was career-defining for Kubrick, if by "career defining" you mean setting the course for his future career, since Kubrick had already done seven canonical films prior to The Shining, and did only two more afterwards. And while all canonical Kubrick films are "Kubrickian", Full Metal Jacket doesn't have much shared imagery with The Shining(Eyes Wide Shut a little moreso).

But yeah, if you were to ask a bunch of people to name a few iconic Kubrick images, chances are Here's Johnny along with some others from The Shining would get a lot of mention. I've seen the butchered twins quoted in about half a dozen places(see the posters for A Tale Of Two Sisters, for example), and Sixth Sense owes a pretty obvious debt to The Shining, though it doesn't copy directly.

Well, he will write another book instead. Will it be as iconic? Debatable. He won't suddenly decide his passion is, e.g., architecture, though

Wasn't Sissy Spacek originally going to play Princess Leia but swapped with Carrie Fisher because the latter refused to do the nude scene?

I wouldn't say that The Shining was career-defining for Kubrick, if by "career defining" you mean setting the course for his future career, since Kubrick had already done seven canonical films prior to The Shining, and did only two more afterwards. And while all canonical Kubrick films are "Kubrickian", Full Metal Jacket doesn't have much shared imagery with The Shining(Eyes Wide Shut a little moreso).

But yeah, if you were to ask a bunch of people to name a few iconic Kubrick images, chances are Here's Johnny along with some others from The Shining would get a lot of mention. I've seen the butchered twins quoted in about half a dozen places(see the posters for A Tale Of Two Sisters, for example), and Sixth Sense owes a pretty obvious debt to The Shining, though it doesn't copy directly.

By career defining, I mean that when people think of Stanley Kubrick or Jack Nicholson, this is probably one of the first things that comes to mind.