WI: Statue of Liberty instead of WTC?

Robert

Banned
Only those with an inherit anti-American viewpoint, or those too weak minded to understand the enemies of this country lie about it, believe the attacks were justified.

And exactly what "anti-muslim" bigotry are you talking about? Give us an example.

Rex Mundi

Banned
Only those with an inherit anti-American viewpoint, or those too weak minded to understand the enemies of this country lie about it, believe the attacks were justified.

And exactly what "anti-muslim" bigotry are you talking about? Give us an example.

This is was I was going to say 5 minutes ago:

Are you sure that you posted in the right topic? I literally had to scroll through the entire thread to see whether somebody said the attacks were justified, and then I did a search function to see who mentioned "anti-Muslim" bigotry. Nobody did. You even felt the need to put it in quotes, yet you're not actually quoting anybody. You're evidently refuting people who don't exist. Your delusions are now officially hallucinations; you believe the strawmen you've been addressing to be real individuals who post on this board. Also, stop giving your obnoxious opinions and then saying saying that "anything else" is weak-minded. It makes you seem like 1. a dick, and 2. weak-minded.

This is what I will actually say:

I love you with all my heart. I've frequented Encyclopedia Dramatica for all these years, and I never knew there was someone like you out there. This is trolling done right and I tip my hat to you.

Nobody is saying the attacks were justified? :confused: And I think the fact that you said "the US has tried being understanding towards Islam" is the bigotry they are referring too because it inherently implies that Islam in it's entirety is responsible for the 11th of September attacks which is simply not true.

EDIT: You were banned as I responded too you. Looking around, you were apparently an idiot.

Last edited:
Well now that the troll has been removed.... do you all think the statue would be rebuild to the original design or modified in some way for remembrance sake? Also have we quantified how much damage was done to the statue, is it minor or is handwaveium having the whole statue going down in flames?

Well now that the troll has been removed.... do you all think the statue would be rebuild to the original design or modified in some way for remembrance sake?

"We'll build it better! With two torches for twice the freedom!" :D

gtref.jpg

The Statue means a lot to us Americans. Very much a symbol of what America is supposed to be, a great gift from our friend France. It would be rebuilt and even so its not has important has the people who were killed some type of military response would have happened.

Well now that the troll has been removed.... do you all think the statue would be rebuild to the original design or modified in some way for remembrance sake? Also have we quantified how much damage was done to the statue, is it minor or is handwaveium having the whole statue going down in flames?

The statue itself will be rebuilt roughly as it is IOTL. The steel frame will be redesigned for greater strength, obviously, making use of new materials. But the copper plating will be identical. I'd imagine that the biggest design argument will be issue of color--to paint it "green" immediately or to wait twenty years for it to corrode suitably. The parkland around the statue will include a monument to the rather small number of people killed in the attack (airplane passengers plus a rather small number of tourists on the island), around 100 people. Almost certainly not more than 125.

As for damage...the statue's not exactly that strong. Depending on exact point of impact, the pedestal will likely survive (if it's not directly hit), but the statue itself isgone, I'd say.

I wonder if France would pitch in or offer designers for the Statue to honor Bartholdi.

The most interesting scenario is the Statue being hit with one plane, two planes for the Capitol building, and one for the White House.

I literally have no idea the result, but I assume that A: loss of life would be significantly less than OTL (which is good), and B: the destruction of such massively historical buildings/structures would infuse in the American people, and also potentially their youth, a love of history not seen in OTL.

If the First Lady is killed, George Bush would be two things:

A: A man on fire.

and B: An untouchable president. Any policies he pursues are bound to have support regardless of how reluctantly. I pity the fool that runs in 2004.

Christ, this is like the perfect TL right here. Less deaths on 9/11, a madman warhawk President, historical significance being important, Senate and House elections, and the rebuilding of a nation's most recognizable monuments.

Wow.

The impact on the 'normal' Amercian would much greater. Many people living in the US never go out of their state, the further west you go the more true it is. Alot didn't know what had been hit or had never heard of the Twin Towers/WTC. So something very Amercian would be a 'better' way to go to upset the country. This is not meant to be a bash at the US person, but the media or school system their. Amercians are not thick, there're just not told anything.

The statue itself will be rebuilt roughly as it is IOTL. The steel frame will be redesigned for greater strength, obviously, making use of new materials. But the copper plating will be identical. I'd imagine that the biggest design argument will be issue of color--to paint it "green" immediately or to wait twenty years for it to corrode suitably. The parkland around the statue will include a monument to the rather small number of people killed in the attack (airplane passengers plus a rather small number of tourists on the island), around 100 people. Almost certainly not more than 125.

As for damage...the statue's not exactly that strong. Depending on exact point of impact, the pedestal will likely survive (if it's not directly hit), but the statue itself isgone, I'd say.

Let it turn green over time, I could see people using it changing colors as the pain of the event going away also I want a Statue of Liberty like the TV show fringe

Clarification, The Observer...

...Population of New Jersey driven to drink to excess? Share values rise in stomach-pump supply companies.

Considering the OP, Dame Liberty would indeed have been a better symbolic target than WTC.

However, New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and a refinery or two would have greater economic impact.

I'd choose two nuke stations, the NY Stock Exchange and the Capitol building. Political and economic damage plus the hamstringing of the US civil nuclear programme.

Alternatively, forget politics and instead target economic targets - NYSE, two refineries and two nuke stations. Better than going for politics and symbolism.

I was going to say that it would butterfly the remake of Planet of the Apes, but a) it was released in July 2001 and b) I don't believe it had the Statue of Liberty in it.

There might be some debate in circles about whether the statue should reflect modern mores, but ultimately I'd have to think they'd make it as absolutely close to the original as possible.

Sabot Cat

Banned
"Liberty" would be used in more speeches at first ("Although they may have destroyed the Statue of Liberty, they can never take the liberty of the American people!") and then there would be a darkly humorous, snark filled backlash on the news as the USA PATRIOT Act gets passed ("Yeah, I guess liberty really did die on 9/11") which may lead to slightly more initial opposition to it.

2606 of the 2977 causalities were incurred in NYC; which means the death toll would be around 371 instead. This is more than the Oklahoma City bombing, and it would be the most fatal terrorist attack against the U.S. since the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings (death toll 223) but it wouldn't be the worst globally (compared to the Cinema Rex fire and the 1990 massacre of Sri Lankan Police officers). The 1998 U.S. bombings resulted in the Clinton administration's cruise missile strikes on targets in Afghanistan and Sudan as well as a UNSC condemnation of international terrorism. It's likely that this 9/11 would be politically and culturally salient, but it would be nowhere near the levels of horror in OTL. The Statue of Liberty would be rebuilt by 2002-2004, and there would be no harrowing search and rescue efforts for the news to busy itself with (indeed, the event would be much shorter and thus less impactful on the nation's psyche). The War in Afghanistan and the Iraq War would probably still occur, but would be less popular. Guantanamo Bay and the abuses of war prisoners by the U.S. would still probably occur, but something may be done about it sooner.

Summing up: if this had happened, there would be less people dead and less popularity for the U.S. government's invasions and curtailing of liberties.