WI: Saud dynasty starts a breeding program

What if Muhammad bin Saud starts a breeding program as soon as he's consolidated his power in what would become the First Saudi State?

I think I'd keep Abdul Aziz's wedding to the daughter of Muhammad bin Abdul-Wahhab.

I'd butterfly Wahhabism away, for added benefits.

I think I'll start writing notes soon, but can you recommend good sources?

Here's the problem with all these threads you keep posting. Kings don't just randomly embark on CKII style breeding programmes. Money and politics are far more important, than genetics, and even then it's much less important in the muslim world.

@ Alex Richards seconded.

The idea is cool mind you, but completely unrealistic. The idea of a breeding program would be unheard off until today. Personally I think it sound's similar to the Bene Gesserit program from the Dune series. Also, why would anyone want to create a breeding program in the 1700s? Whats the goal? More attractive or more intelligent descendents? Plus genetics were unheard of back then. If you want to create a royal breeding program TL, use a much later POD, like the modern era.

selective breeding...

Athough modern genetics were ubknown, breeding for desired traits was known. You need a MAJOR reason to start such a program, and a way to get people to go along with it, and the motivation to keep such a project going on for a long, long time. In short, possible, but VERY tough to make it plausible...

Athough modern genetics were ubknown, breeding for desired traits was known. You need a MAJOR reason to start such a program, and a way to get people to go along with it, and the motivation to keep such a project going on for a long, long time. In short, possible, but VERY tough to make it plausible...

I think the main reason would be to strengthen your dynasty's hold on the throne. If people see your kids are intelligent and good rulers, they will not be overthrown.

In time, similar ideas can be introduced to the nobles, and then it'd spread to the entire society some 80-100 years later. That's why I want the POD pretty early - to have the society in the 2000s influenced by the program.

EDIT: Also, a POD in the 17th century allows me to butterfly away some stuff and change the culture. The culture doesn't change in 100 years, it takes more than that.

If people see your kids are intelligent and good rulers, they will not be overthrown.

That's very touching but, unfortunately, untrue.

watched.jpg

Real life is not a computer game or a Baen book. People are always more likely to make decisions for concrete goals that they can comprehend rather than nebulous reasons that may well be impractical in the short to medium term (where medium term is a couple of generations).

very difficult...

It would be very difficult for this process to go on long enough to have an impact. It also might be done with, not nobles, but peasants, to breed, for example, a more docile class of house servants, or a stronger, less intelligent spearman. Not saying that it would work, but I can see it being attempted...

It would be very difficult for this process to go on long enough to have an impact. It also might be done with, not nobles, but peasants, to breed, for example, a more docile class of house servants, or a stronger, less intelligent spearman. Not saying that it would work, but I can see it being attempted...

The idea with peasants has merit!