WI RFK sits out '68?

Like Mario Cuomo, 1967-8 might've earned him the moniker "Hamlet on the Hudson" in waiting too long. But let's say he decides not to challenge LBJ in 1968. Nixon beats LBJ in November, then what?

LBJ probably would have dropped out regardless. Kennedy's run may have been what broke the camels back but Johnson could obviously see what was happening and how unpopular he was, and even if it's delayed, I'd say he would have ended up dropping out.

RFK will probably build up his political strength in the Senate, and if Nixon still gets caught in Watergate, may take a swipe at him. After that, I'd say he'd run for the White House in 1976, but how well he could manage things at that point is debatable. The economy is heading for the tank, and would face national malaise were Nixon caught. But, that brings up a larger point. What RFK does or how well he governs relies heavily on what happens around him. There's a big difference between HHH winning and things going from there or Nixon winning and things going on from there, not to mention other candidates who could have won the nomination instead for 1968.

It might actually be a better idea, because then he gets to rebuild the party and assume a leading Senate role after his 1970 re-election. Perhaps is more flexible on UHC than his brother was with Nixon IOTL. Therefore getting partial credit for that. Leaving aside Watergate (where he'd be much less *gentlemanly* than Mr. Sam), by 1976, perfectly aligned to retake the WH. Running against an incumbent Nixon in '72 is harakiri, though Nixon may ask Edgar to *make sure* like he did with Ted IOTL. If Nixon decides to "go nuclear" he might try something regarding Cuba, Diem, or even some ill-conceived rumours that he had an affair with Jackie post-Dallas.

Nixon's paranoia may go off full blown on a living RFK. In the original timeline, he feared Teddy because he thought he'd run, and wanted to do what he could to stop that. RFK would actually have an eye on the White House, and would probably be a more active pain to Nixon.

Whether he'd be more flexible on the Public Option/Universal Healthcare debate is something I don't know. His post-Jack empathy may make him follow a humanistic path and support what he thinks will best help those in need, but I don't know more than that.

Actually, he didn't have a beef with Nixon as far as I can tell. The difference is that unlike Ted, Bobby knew how to blackmail and did so multiple times in his career regarding his family's secrets. So it would be a Mexican standoff. On UHC, I suspect that CHIP with a public option would be acceptable. No PO, no deal. "Your profession has failed the poor" (Indiana State Med School)- and to think they called McCain's campaign the Straight Talk Express. ;)

Wolfpaw

Banned
I think you'll see a far more contentious '68 convention for the Dems. Actually, if there's no split in the anti-war movement, and if Kennedy throws his support behind Eugene McCarthy, you might see McCarthy just manage to nab the nomination instead of Humphrey.

Though McCarthy will probably go on to be trounced by Nixon in the election.

I don't think that would happen. Those two hated each other with a passion. RFK saw Gene as a lazy, smooth "prick", while Gene saw Bobby as a vapid, unintelligent demagogue (aka a Palin). Basically "hot" v. "cool" in personalities.

Wolfpaw

Banned
I don't think that would happen. Those two hated each other with a passion. RFK saw Gene as a lazy, smooth "prick", while Gene saw Bobby as a vapid, unintelligent demagogue (aka a Palin). Basically "hot" v. "cool" in personalities.

Was that always the situation, though? I always thought that the less-than-cordial relations were by and large a result of their bitter campaigning against each other in '68.

You're the Kennedy expert, though. Did they always hate each other?

As I said, very different personalities. They didn't have much in common apart from a shared intense Catholicism and taking everything personally. Keep in mind that McCarthy far outranked RFK in Senate seniority. Policy-wise, Gene was slightly to RFK's left on bread-and-butter domestic issues, but since rarely discussed issues other than race and 'Nam, the media didn't pick that up. Actually, one time in Oregon their campaign route took them within a mile of each other. Needless to say, a detour was taken. ;)

RFK was urged to run in the fall of '67 against LBJ. He blew the opportunity to enter the early primaries by saying no, and the rest is history. Bobby announced the day after NH that "I'm actively reconsidering..." which ruined McCarthy's day of fame. That was what kicked off their animosity. Both considered putting Hubert over the top (which would give HHH 50+1), though I doubt either would've betrayed their entire electorate for such selfish reasons.

Last edited: