WI: Queen Victoria had more children

Recently a though has passed through my head: what if Albert had died in 1871 and he and Victoria had had 24 children, born on this order:

girl in 1840; four boys in 1841; girl and boy in 1842; girl in 1843; two girls in 1846; boy in 1848; boy in 1853; girl in 1854; girl and boy in 1856; boy and two girls in 1857; girl in 1859; girl in 1860, boy and girl in 1863 and two girls in 1868

Now, lets say she doesn't die because of the strain of having a literal brood in the span of 2 decades, and that even with Albert's death a decade later the world still follows a similar path to that point, what effects would those children have on the world?

Well the record is allegedly 69 children for one woman, so Victoria having 24 is entirely possible.

Queen Vicky is known to have hated being pregnant though.

Uh...I think 24 kids, including quadruplets and six sets of twins, would definitely kill her, especially since you have her giving birth for the last time at about 50. It's also unlikely to the point of being ASB, especially considering that her family didn't have a history of multiple births. 12 or 13 children would be more realistic but even then still unlikely.

Last edited:

Grey Wolf

Donor
Recently a though has passed through my head: what if Albert had died in 1871 and he and Victoria had had 24 children, born on this order:

girl in 1840; four boys in 1841; girl and boy in 1842; girl in 1843; two girls in 1846; boy in 1848; boy in 1853; girl in 1854; girl and boy in 1856; boy and two girls in 1857; girl in 1859; girl in 1860, boy and girl in 1863 and two girls in 1868

Now, lets say she doesn't die because of the strain of having a literal brood in the span of 2 decades, and that even with Albert's death a decade later the world still follows a similar path to that point, what effects would those children have on the world?

I'd imagine the quadruplets would all die, at that time

She was born in 1819, so having kids in 1868 she would be 49??? I've known a few over 40s with the accidental surprise kid, but not that old? Though it is of course possible

She was born in 1819, so having kids in 1868 she would be 49??? I've known a few over 40s with the accidental surprise kid, but not that old? Though it is of course possible
In britain itself there have been cases of women having children naturally at age 60, so...
Uh...I think 24 kids, including quadruplets and six sets of twins, would definitely kill her, especially since you have her giving birth for the last time at about 50. It's also unlikely to the point of being ASB, especially considering that her family didn't have a history of multiple births. 12 or 13 children would be more realistic but even then still unlikely.
I know it is a thad unrealistic (although plausible enough to not be considered an ASB, women have had more children, the woman with the largest number having 69 children, of which sixteent pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets and four of quadruplets, and only 2 are said to have died in infancy. And there have been cases of women having children naturally above the age of 50), I just wanted to theorize about the cultural effects and the marriages, since there's a lot more children-in-law and grandchildren to the grandmother of Europe now

Yeah....must have been an awful mother actually.

I don't have any in-depth knowledge of the topic, but the one documentary that I saw depicted her as an absolutely horrendous mother.

Like, she entrusted a son with hemophilia to a servant who was physically abusive.

I don't have any in-depth knowledge of the topic, but the one documentary that I saw depicted her as an absolutely horrendous mother.

Like, she entrusted a son with hemophilia to a servant who was physically abusive.
And he was one of the sons she liked the most, to boot.

But now, going away from the fact that Victoria was an horrific mother (not that it stopped her from having nine children in OTL. "Hanoverian, hating their children since 1714"), any ideas on the marriages those children would have (maybe having a double marriage with Alexandra and Dagmar, meanin' Alexander III will need a new bride) ? And what would be the effects on the royal family of having 24 new senior members, ten of whom are male (meaning duchies galore), and on the government since Albert lives longer (as until his death Victoria was just like previous Hanoverian monarchs in being strong-headed and bashing heads with Parliament), and on the politics of Europe since there are many more princesses to be married off (and even if some of them marry British noblemen, as happened in OTL, there are 14 of them), meaning more royal families being closely related to each other, this withouth counting that there is a larger number of possible hemophilia carriers, so there's that to look forward.

Thoughts?

British royal family would end up being related to every other royal family on earth and the hemophilia would be spread much more wildly in royal families and beyond.

More of Victoria's children will die in childhood and the quads in 1841 will be terribly early and die quickly - medicine back then not being conducive to caring for premature infants, Victoria herself will suffer health issues and die much sooner - like 1869. I fail to mention the fact that multiples are usually heredity in a family and pass through the maternal line. So, the sole amount of multiple births is ASB. If the mother is doing back-to-back pregnancies, the children will be weaker because mom isn't as healthy as she should be at conception. That's why her health will suffer.

The woman who had 69 children was a Russian peasant and apparently from strong stock. Victoria wasn't. The Russian was a 'freak of nature'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alrigth, we all understand that everyone thinks this is ASB (I disagree, but my opinion doesn't matter it seems), lets just theorize about the effects of Vic having those children and neither them or her dying

Alrigth, we all understand that everyone thinks this is ASB (I disagree, but my opinion doesn't matter it seems), lets just theorize about the effects of Vic having those children and neither them or her dying
Well obviously there's a massiblve breakthrough in medical understanding so I would imagine the British population as a whole might be significantly larger by 1900.

Well obviously there's a massiblve breakthrough in medical understanding so I would imagine the British population as a whole might be significantly larger by 1900.
Maybe some new technologies in relation to childbirth and childbearing, Victoria used anaesthesy in the penultimate pregnancy OTL (chloroform) and like it so much she used it on the last one, maybe her using it more times will make the use of anaesthetics in childbirth more common (although I don't know if they were good with dosaging it in the mid 19th century, so maybe we see a rise in women dying in childbirth because of using too much ether or chloroform)

I don't think of your idea as ASB, though maybe two or three kids should die early or be stillborn, would ad to this Scenario to be seen as more realistic.

And of course your opinion matters a lot, it is your idea for a TL after all.

Last edited:
Although the idea of an "Albert Lives" thread and TL is interesting.

I imagine some of the younger kids be looking at relatively humble domestic matches amongst the British aristocracy?

With that many kids it's probably also pretty likely that at least one marries someone mummy disapproves of, with potential Royal Marriage Act wrangling.

She'd run out of royal houses of Europe.
:D:D:extremelyhappy:
I imagine some of the younger kids be looking at relatively humble domestic matches amongst the British aristocracy?

With that many kids it's probably also pretty likely that at least one marries someone mummy disapproves of, with potential Royal Marriage Act wrangling.
Rumors says that good old Vicky even disapproved of those her OTL kids married, when these matches had been not decided before by her beloved husband.

Last edited: