WI: Prince Arthur lived?

Henry VII's son Prince Arthur was the heir to the English throne. However, he died and left it to his younger brother Henry VIII. So, had Arthur lived, what regnal name would he have taken? Would he have been King Arthur? Would protestantism have still occured in England? Or would England remain Catholic for the foreseeable future? Thanks fellas.

Henry VII's son Prince Arthur was the heir to the English throne. However, he died and left it to his younger brother Henry VIII. So, had Arthur lived, what regnal name would he have taken? Would he have been King Arthur? Would protestantism have still occured in England? Or would England remain Catholic for the foreseeable future? Thanks fellas.
England will stay Catholic. The only reason for which Henry VIII created the Anglican Church was the fact who the Pope refuted to give him the annulment of his wedding to Catherine of Aragon (and the liturgy of Henry’s Church was still Catholic)

England will stay Catholic. The only reason for which Henry VIII created the Anglican Church was the fact who the Pope refuted to give him the annulment of his wedding to Catherine of Aragon (and the liturgy of Henry’s Church was still Catholic)
Yep! However there was a rising group of Englishmen who were pushing for Protestantism. So it's possible England still would have gone that way. I'm just trying to figure out what Arthur's regnal name would be. He's not gonna call himself King Arthur. So..... :/

Yep! However there was a rising group of Englishmen who were pushing for Protestantism. So it's possible England still would have gone that way. I'm just trying to figure out what Arthur's regnal name would be. He's not gonna call himself King Arthur. So..... :/
Arthur will be King Arthur I of England and in no way will go protestant being married to Catherine of Aragon.

Why? IIRC Victoria was first English/British monarch who didn't use birth name as regnal name.
And in that case, she was more well known as Victoria then her first name Alexandrina (which she dropped in childhood). The only two other to pick something other than their birth name were both Alberts (and were both post-Victoria) who picked a middle name with more royal pedigree (Edward & George).

One issue is that, unlike the monarchs who picked different regnal names IOTL, Arthur doesn't have a middle name to adopt. The only one for whom that was considered was Victoria because the court wanted her to take a more British regnal name like Charlotte or Elizabeth vs. the very foreign Victoria, and she declined.

Well lets add to the scenario that it Katerina who dies while Arthur only goes through a bout of sickness. Life for a life and all that, just to make things fun.

Who are the likely candidates for a second wife?

And as far as protestantism, just keep in mind that even if Arthur I doesn't leave the church, Arthur jr. Still can

Well lets add to the scenario that it Katerina who dies while Arthur only goes through a bout of sickness. Life for a life and all that, just to make things fun.

Who are the likely candidates for a second wife?

And as far as protestantism, just keep in mind that even if Arthur I doesn't leave the church, Arthur jr. Still can
I was debating going down that road at first. But after finding out that Catherine and Arthur very likely loved each other, I thought it be more interesting if they both lived and we saw a happy marriage between the two. Quite unlike the OTL marriage between Catherine and Henry VIII.

VVD0D95

Banned
I was debating going down that road at first. But after finding out that Catherine and Arthur very likely loved each other, I thought it be more interesting if they both lived and we saw a happy marriage between the two. Quite unlike the OTL marriage between Catherine and Henry VIII.
Agreed there, Arthur and Catherine being s complete contrast to Henry and Catherine is always nice

True, but that does smack (lightly) of historical determinism - i.e. England MUST go Protestant because it did in OTL. Maybe its the Catholic in me, but I find the idea of a Catholic England much more fun to play around with. And its not like many of the regions and nations that stayed Catholic in OTL didn't also have influential Protestant movements (I'm looking at you France, Poland and Hungary!) :)

I think he'd be called Arthur II, because King Arthur is generally considered to have been a real king back then. I feel Henry Jr would have even more of a reputation as a playboy, but I also think he would be a helpful adviser to his brother. Not sure what his religious views would develop, but I feel he'd be more of a traditionalist and not try to rock the boat. If his marriage to Catherine remains a strong one, I think he'd keep at that. Though there's the question on IOTL, whether Henry was more at fault for a failure to create a male heir

VVD0D95

Banned
I think he'd be called Arthur II, because King Arthur is generally considered to have been a real king back then. I feel Henry Jr would have even more of a reputation as a playboy, but I also think he would be a helpful adviser to his brother
Numbering only dated back to the Norman conquest, so he’d be Arthur I